KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

2005 Total Reviews

I warmly recommend KEX hostel. Everything was clean. The bar at the first floor is a great place to meet fellow travellers, and I was lucky enough to catch a night with live music. Also the food was great! The additional breakfast buffet had a large selection for all tastes. The dorm was spacious and plenty of lockers for your bag. Only minus would be the lack of power-outlets by the beds. Great hostel and friendly staff. I will definitely be back next time I'm crossing the Atlantic!

• 5th Oct 2015
  • Denmark

I didn't stay here but have given a 100% score for the way my problem was handled. The hotel world app in October 2015 was not displaying all the room details including the fact that the dorm I booked had no linen. So I had no way of knowing 1100 kr would be added when I arrived to my bill. Annoying. The app has since been fixed but the info is buried so be aware. They did not charge me despite needing to cancel the day I arrived and I only needed to deal with some snarkyness from the staff.

Great location. Right by the waterfront with a beautiful view of the mountains across the way. About a 20min walk from the BSI station and there is a bus stop, rental car company, and gas station adjacent to KEX. Staff weren't particularly friendly but they knew their stuff and they were helpful. The only issue with the hostel is lack of cleanliness particularly in the bathrooms. The showers have poor ventilation and they always smelled moist and the garbage cans weren't emptied consistently.

Really helpful staff at every step of the way, from initial booking right through to activities and checkout. The hostel was in good condition and maintained very well.

I had a problem with my tour bookings but the staff at KEX helped me to resolve it.

+: Good hostel, nice staff, huge rooms and good shower. -: comonn area so huge that it's hard to meet people as solo travel, bar expensive, location ( a little bit far from the mains street). I will stay again 4sure

Overall it's s really good hostel with lots of helpful facilities included.

I only stayed one night, and I arrived in the middle of the night and left early the next day so take this review with a grain of salt... The hostel itself is really cool, the staff were friendly and the common areas and rooms are really nice. I couldn't open my locker so resorted to keeping all my valuable in my bed with me. The light and powerpoint by the bed didn't work, and the bathrooms and kitchen weren't the cleanest (but it was the middle of the night!).

Overall really good hostel. The staff was helpful right from the start. We stayed in one of the larger rooms and it was very spacious and well ventilated. Bathrooms and kitchen were always clean and there were quite a few showers available. If you decide to purchase linen it was comfortable and clean same with the beds. Bar downstairs creates a really fun and social atmosphere. Tour tickets were available for purchase at reception and the shuttle picked us up right outside the hostel doors.

Very nice hostel built in the old cookie factorie (KEX) of Reykjavik. I don't think it gets any better in value for money here in Iceland. The bathrooms are clean, the staff is helpful, and the bar is frequented by locals, so there's an genuine opportunity to mix in with the Icelandic people. Breakfast while not included is decently priced, compared to the alternatives in the city. Overall very recommended.

Good hostel. Bar was very new world and really nice. Beds in the rooms could be updated as they were quite old.

Friendly staffs, clean facilities, good location...

A bit disappointing, tbh. The common area and bar spaces are amazing and the best part about Kex. But, at least in my 6 person dorm, the room was tiny - the beds were packed together and I slept head to head with a loud snorer. If everyone had brought large luggage, there'd be no walking space. Beds are really creaky. Also, no personal outlets. The private showers are a plus, but the water pressure is way too weak by any standards. But, location and bar are great, and it has a nice aesthetic.

Best everything! Best hostel ever. Been travelling for four months and this was the highlight of my trip. Met so many amazing people here.

Really cool place with nicely designed areas. The kitchen could have been cleaner and better equipped but apart from that I have no complaints.

This was by far the best hostel I've ever stayed at in Europe and perhaps the whole world! I've never stayed at a hostel with a better atmosphere than this. There's always live music that plays here, the quality of which is amazing! That's in addition to the regular music that they play over the speakers in the main lounge area which was great. The hostel also has an AMAZING restaurant/bar inside it! I could go on, but this place is just the real deal!

everything was good, atmosphere, beds etc etc. However was bumped that I had to pay 10 bux for the washing machine when the website states they provide it for free

It's more like a bar than a hostel. So if you prefer noisy hardcore rock music and party all the night, you will probably love it. But I'll opt to the unique tranquility of Iceland that you can find everywhere except this hostel. Staff in reception are good though, but toilet and bathroom are not very clean.

Water pressure for shower was terrible. Doors slam really loudly. Just very dumb design, why would you choose doors that automatically slam?

• 15th Sep 2015

I would suggest having lockers available in all dorm rooms for security of belongings. Also, if you're going to offer self service laundry, at 1000 ISK, the machines should be clean and capable of functioning properly. My clothing didn't dry, and it smelled bad after being "washed".