KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Amazing hostel - beautifully decorated and the staff are always ready and willing to help with anything you need. Always meet some friendly and interesting people when I stay at Kex!

Fun, big hostel where it's easy to make new friends! However, at the end of my trip, when I needed to catch a GrayLine airport bus which I had bought a ticket for, one of the receptionists sent me to the bus station for the Flybus airport bus. Fortunately, in this instance, they let me on the bus even though I had the wrong ticket, but they had every right to turn me away and then I would have missed my flight.

Great hostel for meeting people. The hostel bar is also a popular hangout for locals so it's busy every night. It can be hard to sleep because of noise but earplugs will fix that easily.

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed super atmosphere and very nice staff

I loved this hostel! it is in a fantastic location (easy walking distance to everything) and has a really cool bar/restaurant/hangout area. The only downside is that it's so busy and bustling in the bar area that it's not as easy to meet people if you're travelling solo (it's almost like going into any city bar by yourself). But if you can handle that then it's great :) The hostel staff are really helpful with booking day trips and activities. I would stay here again for sure!

One of the most fun hostels I've been to. A great party hostel with a unique vibe. They also have kitchens to eat and drink in to escape the high Reyjavic prices. Even the locals come to party here

KEX was a great hostel to stay at for my few days in Reykjavik! I was very pleased with it's location... so close to Hlemmur bus stop and to all the fun downtown spots. Also close to the water, which is beautiful! I very much enjoyed the atmosphere... very hip and a great place to hang out, meet people, and get some drinks. It's a bit noisy so if you're a light sleeper, that may be frustrating. Just make sure you bring a sleeping bag if you don't want to be charged for linens!

• 16th Jun 2015

nice atmosphere, great way to break up beds in a 12 bed dorm so it doesn't feel that big at all. nice location with a beautiful view. Fair value for the money paid. showers were a bit messy but surely because of all the high traffic at night, when people are coming home from tours and all showering at the same time.

Great hostel. Nice bar in the reception area downstairs. Really good location in Reykjavik.. Great stay overall :)

My stay at KEX was all right. Location is good. Staff was okay. Room was rather basic. I would say KEX should pay more attention to cleanliness at common areas like bathrooms and toilets. It was a guest kitchen, which was good, however providing a kettle would be nice. You need to pay extra for breakfast. Breakfast is okay, but similar what you can get in other hostels. You need to pay deposit for key to locker in the room. Overall good, but I believe could be better. Thank you.

The staff were fantastic, uber cool, but really friendly and helpful with everything from where to spend a free morning to what Icelandic music I should check out. Decor and general ambience of the hostel is glorious, the main bar area is lovely and the food is probably the best I've ever eaten in a hostel restaurant. The dorm rooms are fairly standard, some of the bunk beds could maybe do with a bit of WD-40 (a few nocturnal creaks), but otherwise perfect. Will definitely go there again.

Great quirky place. Perfect location. Staff were very helpful.

Stylish hostel with nice bar and great local restaurant. Receptionist were fine but couldn't get more information from them. Room are big and clean. The only problem was we were stay in 1 floor which bar and restaurant is. It was very noisy in the midnight especially during weekend. Overall, great hostel with hotel standard.

Pretty nice hostel with a really awesome interior design. Slightly expensive for what you get, but no more so than anything else in Reykjavik. Staff were very friendly, but as the hostel was pretty big (>200 beds), it didn't really have that backpacker feel to it.

very stylish place with a real effort in making the place nice to stay at. a great choice in expensive Reykjavik!

Awesome hip hostel! Just off the main street. Cool decor and epic pub / restaurant. My bed in the 10 bed hostel was outrageously squeaky (sorry to everyone else in the room).

Fantastic accommodation - very friendly staff, excellent location along the waterfront, cool vibe and good bevies at the bar, and delicious breakfast (great value). Would definitely recommend

• 6th Jun 2015

Awesome Hostel - Close to the main street. Epic vibes and decor throughout. Cool bar and restaurant with ocean views! Don't stay anywehre else, this is the best hostel! Although the bed was a bit squeaky :(

KEX was a cool spot in a good location. The downstairs lounge/bar area was really cool with good live music some nights. Upstairs was more basic- the beds were fine but incredibly squeaky, so it was a bit hard to sleep sometimes. The communal shower thing was strange, and the private shower had horrible water pressure. Other than that, staff was nice and the hostel was a good base camp for seeing Reykjavik/the Golden Circle. Rather overpriced for what you get but hey, it's Iceland.

Great location & facilities. Walkable to downtown and lot of friendly people. 24 hr reception was great. And they have the best (free!) bread and butter which may or may not have become my main food group... My only gripe was that the door to my dorm would slam closed if not intentionally closed gently. Needless to say, I was woken up multiple times a night by drunken roommates coming back (even sleeping with ear plugs).