KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Awesome hangout, awesome venue, awesome drinks, awesome food. Slightly difficult to meet people in the common area, must depend on hanging out in the room or at the bar. KEX is probably the best overall hostel here.

Im not a fan of these huge hostels for obvious reasons. I feel like Kex is doing a lot right but for me it wasn't my favourite. It was incredibly expensive but i guess Iceland is! good place to meet people. however we had to pay for linen after arriving and breakfast not included. it ended up being a costly stay!

Thought it was ridiculous that they charged for linen. Good location. Didnt find ppl that friendly overall because of its big size.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. The bar/common area was chic and had amazing views of the bay, there's an outdoor patio, and it's right in the downtown. Staff was also super helpful! It was also the priciest, but that's a function of being in Iceland.

Kex Hostel was a good experience. It was my first time at a hostel and it was definitely an affordable option but I think I'd prefer a private room in the future. Kex was very trendy and the bar was packed every night. Unfortunately, my room overlooked the outdoor area which was quite loud until the wee hours of the morning. I booked my excursions through Kex and they all went off without a hitch. My only compliant is that the rooms and the bathrooms were not as tidy as I would have hoped.

• 6th Jun 2014

The hostel was great and I would definitely recommend it. The pub attached to it is great, with fantastic decor, nice beers and good atmosphere. The vibe is very Hipster though so maybe avoid if that's not your scene. The bedrooms where very clean and we had a fantastic view. My only complaint is in relation to the shared showers (which where not the cleanest or the most powerful). I would definitely stay again though but next time I'd Bring flip flops.

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Kex is a great concept. I had a good experience of staying in a hostel. The decor was amaz. super clean and safe. If there's anything I could comment on it would be the system of bed occupied. on the first night I stayed,there was a mix-up on the bed I was given, I had do go downstairs in my pyjamas to the front desk to get a bed that wasn't occupied. On another occasion I took 3 trips to reception finally be given a bed that wasn't occupied and that had a duvet/ towel. I would def recommend.

• 5th Jun 2014

I loved this place. It's unlike any other hostel I've been to with FANTASTIC staff and a great vibe. I'm back in November, and I will definitely be staying here. Takk KEX!

nice atmosphere. the common area is well decorated (not in a typical way). at night there are some free music. for me I enjoyed a wonderful jazz performance there. the staff there also helped a lot abt the travel information. I would recommend any backpacker to stay in this hostel for its resoanable price and the best environment to meet new fds from all over the world. ps it is near to the supermarket bonus

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Hong Kong

Breakfast was delicious but expensive

• 3rd Jun 2014

I had a great stay at Kex and would definitely recommend it! Perfect location and really great building. The bar area is excellent and the food is great. To improve the rooms I would suggest installing power outlets near each bed or even inside the lockers - I've had this at other hostels and it's really appreciated!

The showers are pretty bad, no elevator but overall, great! The main foyer/bar is very nice/trendy. Wifi works well and there are large individual lockers in the rooms which is nice. No major complaint, would certainly stay again!

Good location, great atmosphere, cool decor,. My only complaint us that the showers were cold each of the three times I tried them, and barely a trickle of water. Not good after a fun day in Iceland!

• 29th May 2014

I stayed there twice, because I booked it in advance (stupid me). They tried to charge me for the blanket, something the didn't do the first stay. The staff had no idea up anything and recommended me a dodgy whale watching company, where the boat had to be towed back into harbour. All the locks at the toilets are broken and they didn't try to repair them and the idea of shower curtains is lost to them (big army style shower room with no privacy). Every time the assigned bed was already occupied.

Thought this hostel had very good reviews so booked here for one night. Was impressed by the decor and that was about it - except the live jazz. It was such a big hostel (something like 140 plus beds) so feeling like part of a group was difficult. Room was dark and small, however there were two kitchens which helped when cooking. Service at front desk was pretty terrible. More often than not there was no one there, and if they were there, it involved a lot of waiting. Would try somewhere else.

Staying at KEX was a fine and positive experience, excellent decor, atmosphere and design. Only negative aspect was taking a shower in the morning, the hot water was nonexistent and the pressure was weak, probably due to other people taking a shower at the same time. Could've been avoided if I had taken a shower at a different time but I was leaving for the airport. Sometimes they have concerts in the common lobby, they have a nice backyard patio and the common area gets a ton of light.

• 26th May 2014

Our stay at KEX was amazing and it very much helped us experience our brief stop in Reykjavik to the fullest. The staff is very helpful, though there were sometimes too many people trying to ask one employee questions. It's location was nice with great views over the bay and the breakfast was delicious and filling before our day's adventures.

Kex is a one of the best hostel I had the chance to visit.

This hostel is one of the best I've stayed in overall. It's not dirt cheap (but it's Iceland, so nothing is), but they have comfortable beds, kitchens if you want to cook, awesome food at the restaurant if you don't. Don't believe your Lonely Planet, the restaurant food is great! Bathrooms are clean and the hostel generally has a really good atmosphere. Heads up - every bed has a light but not an outlet which was my only complaint. I'd definitely stay here again.

1 2 3 4 5 Next » last »