KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

2005 Total Reviews

I reali enjoyed the open and welcomjng atmosphere of the main area. The 16 person rooms were very accomodating. However, the shower floors could be cleaner.

The atmosphere was amazing. The bathrooms needed to be cleaned.

• 12th Sep 2015

Great, chilled hostel. Everything was super clean, and loads of space to chill out and meet people. The bar downstairs also did really good food and was a great place to relax, have a beer and socialise!

Great service and nice location!

I liked the atmosphere -- especially all the bookshelves! But the oven and one fridge in the kitchen on my floor were broken, and the shower rooms smelled kind of moldy. In general, though, it's a good place. I'd recommend it.

• 10th Sep 2015

Good hostel in a good location. The bar downstairs was really nice, my only complaint is the kitchen wasn't too clean but I wold definitely recommend staying at Kex

Fantastic location, close to most things. The view of the sea was incredible, so relaxing. Cosy atmosphere in the hostel, staff were always helpful and friendly. Easy to meet new people. The Live jazz band every Tuesday night was amazing. Very hip hostel with the coolest people! Highly recommended :)

While the bed was comfortable and it is a unique hostel, function seems to have been compromised for creativity. It's really disorientating to be in such dim light everywhere and plain hard to see. Also just because we travel doesn't mean we like to shower with strangers, u have to wait for the few individual showers so you can have some privacy, it's not enough that we all sleep together? And the shower heads are nice to look at, but they stopped making them in the early 20thC for a reason.

Great hostel that offered a lot of additional things that I haven't seen at other hostels. The staff were very helpful and other guests all very friendly too! Unfortunately the oven didn't work in my kitchen and it seemed like a few other things were on the verge of falling apart too. But I was able to use the kitchen facilities on a different floor.

I'm extremely dissappointed with my experience. I read so many great reveiws about KEX before heading out for our Icelandic adventure. We planned to stay at KEX at the beginning and end of our roadtrip with the hopes that it would be a great place to start and end an epic trip. I was frustrated with the staff and how rude they were, the bathrooms were always nasty on our floor (even after they were just cleaned). I think that customer service makes a hostel, and this was at an all time low.

• 4th Sep 2015

Hip as hell, but the basics left something to be desired

Poor customer service, they didn't explain the services provided by the hostel and very undifferent atenttion

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Sweden

Great trendy hostel! Location is not super central, but it's an easy walk to the main road. Rooms get super stuffy at night! A shelf in shower would be great! The lockers in the room are not really suitable for bags, also loud as they are metal. General lighting in rooms and corridors are very dim and not suitable for reading. Staff are not very approachable, but are willing to help if asked.

A really cool hostel in a great spot that is within walking distance to everything you need. The 16 bed dorm was spacious and spotlessly clean, as were the bathrooms. We thought it was a bit steep to charge extra for linen (why not just include this in the already high price). The restaurant and bar were a great place to relax and the staff here were really lovely. It's a shame about the extremely unfriendly and very rude female staff member working the day that we arrived...

Great hostel with an excellent common area/bar. Breakfast is not included and it is expensive but I guess that's just iceland prices. There were a few too many bunks crammed in my rather small room but overall i thought KEX was great.

Pricy hostel for the service provided. None elevator, quite unhelpful staff, some showers didn't work properly..

It would be great for the staff to let you know, upon check in, that (1) you'll need another key with a 1000 isk deposit to use the lockers and that (2) half plugs and the ceiling lights in your room do not work and are (or are not) being fixed. I stayed for 4 days and the lights were never fixed but they knew of the issue. Hm. Had to charge my phone and kindle across the room which made me uncomfortable. Get the breakfast and take lunch/dinner with you.

The hostel was great. I liked that it had a bar that locals went to and it had a great food/drink menu that was convenient. Everything was also very clean and each floor requires a key card to be accessed. The only thing that could be added is some free hostel walking tours or something similar that a lot of other hostels put on. Or maybe a trivia night or event at the bar. Their other tours offered online tough are great and its a very central location.

Sure an interesting stay concerning their ambiance and atmosphere. Their breakfast is super.

Awesome hostel! Only issues were that the outlets near beds didn't work and wifi isn't very strong (probably due to number of people using it). Kitchen was big and good, but very packed fridges (again, a lot of people staying). But overall really cool place and comfortable and clean, will stay again!