KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

2005 Total Reviews

We loved our stay at Kex! With such an amazing location in the city, you can walk everywhere. The staff was so great! And the atmosphere of the place was very cool! I would definitely come back to Kex!

No elevators! No light and plugs for charging our electronic devices near each bed, and no curtains either. So, in this sense, the hostel needs some improvements and updates, in my opinion. Good bar, good food. There should be activities to promote interaction.

This is the place you want to be in Reykjavik. It is insanely cool. It's a restaurant, bar, hostel and jazz club all in one. I got picked up from the airport early in the morning and was taken straight to the hostel, which is a service that is included with your booking (just email them about airport pick up!). I would definitely go back here. Really really cool place, and right near downtown Reykjavik. Not to mention, a great view!

• 25th Aug 2015

Excellent, Very easy, fun place to stay

• 25th Aug 2015

I've been travelling for the last year and this hostel is my favorite of them all. Options galore, but the highlight of the hostel is its large welcoming living room. It is the nicest communal area I have ever seen at a hostel and "excellent" rating doesn't describe it. It's beyond excellent and the perfect place for everything a traveller/backpacker wants out of a travel hub.

Was a great location and had a good atmosphere. The only downside was the loud noise so definitely have earplugs- I was on the 4th floor and could hear the bar downstairs. Also there isn't an elevator so be prepared to cart your things up the stairs. In saying that I liked the location and the staff were super helpful. I would stay again :)

Very nice hostel. A little noisy to stay in the 17 bed dorm, because next to the common kitchen. The system that slows the door when closing was broken, so this made a lot of noise in the night when people get in. For the rest excellent. Price ok, many showers, friendly staff. Close to city centre (walking distance).

Kex was a nice hostel - very expensive in terms of accomodation and food but Reykavik in general is quite expensive. The activities staff were helpful but aside from that staff weren't very friendly and there wasn't a great atmosphere in the hostel - not very social. I had a drink at another hostel in the area and felt much more welcomed and social. Showers were clean and kitchen was more or less clean.

Pros: Great location, clean private showers, beautiful aesthetic (especially the common areas), excellent food, & interesting events each night. But for how expensive KEX is, it REALLY lacks on certain essentials: no outlet / light / privacy curtains with the bed AND you have to pay extra for sheets. Door slamming in dorms is unbearable, especially if you are unlucky enough to get the bed close to the door like me. Woke me up multiple times early morning during my 5 day stay. Really miserable.

Loved our stay at KEX. The atmosphere was amazing! When checking in, don't park in the parking lot to the left of the entrance, park right in front. We got a parking ticket. Great hostel, great price. Would stay here again!

Most of the staff was so nice and helpful but there's always that one guy that you wish never to run into at the front desk. I stayed in a large mixed dorm and it was very cramped, it smelled of sweat and feet. The small window we opened wasn't big enough to fill the room with fresh air so it was stuffy. During the weekend they do have live music which resonates through the whole hostel so you will need earplus which sometimes isn't enough.. Breakfast is mediocre so don't bother with it.

A brilliant and unique stay at Kex hostel. Perhaps the most unexpected bonus was the incredible view of Mount Esja from our room. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone wanting to stay somewhere convenient, welcoming and quirky. The bar is a real bonus and easily rivals any of the bars in the centre of Reykjavik. Unfortunately we didn't try the restaurant food but the breakfast was real value for money: I can't recommend this place enough and hope to be back in the future!

The power socket didn't work all 4 days. Wifi at bed was weak. Avoid 16 bed dorm. Otherwise staff were super friendly and the food at the bar was very good.

I was pleasantly surprised with this being my first hostel experience. The location is ideal for exploring Reykjavik. The staff is very helpful with anything. KEX land is a great way to plan daily excursions. You will meet a lot of like-minded travelers, or you can enjoy some alone time. The morning buffet breakfast was a bit over priced for what you receive, but their lunch/dinner menu is very robust and moderately priced. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

The staff was extremely helpful, patient and friendly. The atmosphere in the common area/bar/restaurant was always fun and buzzing with energy. We loved the free concerts put on at the bar and the food- both breakfast and dinner-were delicious! I would highly recommend Kex to anyone traveling to Iceland!

Amazing place, great atmosphere. Very highly recommend!!!

I find it odd that they charge extra for linens. I don't know many travelers that travel around with bed sheets and a comforter in their bag. The breakfast was very good although it was an extra 1,500 kronur. The bathroom facilities were not the best and could use some updating. The beds were comfortable enough, though.

The shared rooms are very small like any other hostel. The toilets and bathrooms are ok. The breakfast is amazing so I totally recommend it and the bar of the hostel it's also. The only problem is that the bar is the common area of the hostel and is open to people of the city.

This is a fabulous hostel! The common areas are very inviting and it's very easy to meet people. It's also immaculate with is a huge plus! The staff are helpful, but depending on who you talk to, cannot always be the most informative. Most of the time my questions were answered with either yes or no, which as a novice visitor doesn't give you much to go on. Overall, it's a great place and I would stay there again for sure!

I had a great stay at KEX. Staff was friendly, great atmosphere in the common area, everything was clean. The only thing that bothered me was that the air in the dorm was kind of bad-- but I guess that's normal when you share a room with 9 people. Oh and it would be great to have lockers in the rooms. There were lockers in the hallway but I didn't feel safe locking my valuables outside of my room in lockers that seemed easy to crack. Overall, I would definitely stay there again!! :)

• 12th Aug 2015