Kandy Down Town Hostel Reviews

No 93, Aniwatta Road, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Kanthy and Indhika are incredible people! Very friendly and helpful! They make this place an unforgettable memory on our mind and in our heart! Thanks a lot! I will never forget them! Kisses and hugs!

The Kandy Down Town hostel was great. Although not in the centre of town, this didn’t matter as it was a short tuk tuk or reasonable walk and the rest of the hostel was great. The people were friendly, the rooms clean, and so nice be given a tea on arrival. The bathrooms were basic, but clean. The breakfast was simple but nice, and they even gave us an extra special breakfast on Xmas morning. The tuk tuk driver who works from the hostel was incredibly nice, helpful, credible and fair. He used to

• 24th Dec 2014

We had booked a double room online, had the confirmation and with arrival we were told they had given the room to someone else earlier that day, even though we had arrived exactly on the time stated. They offered us two dorm beds at a discount price of 7 rupies of the actual dorm price, ignoring the fact, that we had payed a deposit online!!!! Beside that the breakfast was horrible! Only saving factor were the other guests!

Great atmosphere, friendly staff. Free breakfast included and hot showers. One of the best hostels I stayed at in Sri Lanka

• 13th Dec 2014

We had a pleasant stay at this hostel. Shared bathrooms (2) were clean and the breakfast was nice. They have a tuktuk and can arrange tours for a reasonable price. Staff was very friendly and helpful. It's location is a bit out of the centre but for 200 rupees you can go by tuktuk. Wifi was a bit slow but there is one computer available.

Very nice hostel- a really relaxed atmosphere. The staff are so friendly. It's like a home stay in a way. No lockers for security but regardless I would definitely recommend this to other travellers.

Staff is very helpful and friendly, common balcony is great to meet new friends, also enjoyed walking uphill twice a day. Hostel is clean and has lots of space, I would recommend it to other travellers :)

Good place to stay. a bit out of the way, but staff was very helpful and accommodating. Room was sufficient.

Hice hostel for its money. Pillows are awful it's true. But environment and facilities as well as food provided. Hostel is nearby the town.30 minutes of walking to the train station.

Cheap place to stay and base yourself out of for a few days. Staff is friendly and helpful, but if you have a room near the kitchen they talk quiet loud. Pillows are terrible. But really all you need is a bed to sleep in as your days will be full of exploring the area.

• 13th Oct 2014

Hostel located almost 2.5km from train station mostly uphill. 'Conviently' there was a guy hanging around the hostel with a tuk-tuk. Closest supermarket located a 10m walk through busy unlit road tunnel with no sidewalk. Dorns much better standard than private rooms. Taking into account the tuk-tuk ride and room price, youre better off getting a place in town centre.

The hostel didn't look too bad, but I booked a private suite online and once I got there they told me there were no more suites left and that I was to stay at 4-person mixed room instead. I asked for my money back and went to Spica Holiday Home instead and it was a much, much more amazing experience there, with a balcony and private suite. I'm actually glad they ended up overbooking this hostel, otherwise I would have been stuck here.

Hostel was great stay. It was nice and clean and the host greeted us with a cold juice after a long train to kandy. The hostel is a little outside of town but there are tuk tuks everywhere that can bring you into town for around 300 rupees which isnt bad. Small grocery store ten minute walk away and good price on tours offered at the hostel. Our driver was awesome and took us to the elephant orphanage, tea factory, botanical garden, and temple of the tooth for only 2000 which was great.

Clean and comfortable rooms and you can order meals for a very reasonable price. Very social atmosphere and nice balcony to sit out on. The only problem is the hostel is within walking distance from town, but is quite a long walk uphill and through a dark tunnel, so usually have to take tuk tuk.

Bit far away from the center but still walkable. Good breakfast and nice and caring staff. Absolutely recommendable.

Lovely hostel about 5minute tuk tuk to the centre of kandy. Run by a lovely woman who is genuinely happy you are staying there. It is was a good place to meet fellow travellers. You are also allowed to drink your own alcohol which was a nice bonus and they also sell beer cheaply. Hostel was a 5minute walk to a supermarket. Good breakfast included in the price. I would recommend it to other travellers.

The staff where great and helpful. I was given a free glass of juice on arrival cause she thought I looked like I was hot and bothered. Really nice astomphere, great place for solo travellers to make friends. A little bit out off town, but not to far. Good cheap places to eat nearby. ( got hoppers, sambo and dhal for 80 rupees). The rooms where extremely clean, and was great value for money. Breakfast is included. And free wifi ... Would reccomand staying here

Very helpful lady manages this establishment who went out of her way to ensure my needs were catered for.

As a solo traveller, it was a great place for meeting other travellers

• 14th Aug 2014

Friendly, helpful staff. Clean facilities. Wifi works. Good breakfast, like being at home so you can help yourself. Good place to meet other travellers.

• 13th Aug 2014