Kandy Down Town Hostel Reviews

No 93, Aniwatta Road, Kandy, Sri Lanka

We have no clue how everyone felt so welcome. We had a good time here, but that is because of the nice people we met. The staff though was very, very unfriendly, behaving like you were a burden instead of a paying guest. Reservations don't matter, they will just give the beds to whoever comes first, even though you did a deposit. The second night they charged us more. Also, the bathroom was full of ants. Prepare waking up around 6.30 because of the noise (no doors in the dorms.)

• 22nd Aug 2015

The management of this hostel is a mess. Both nights I was there there were problems with overbooking and people were sleeping on the floor, including myself. The staff was completely lost about everything and for your bed to be given to someone else all it took was for you to be distracted. Besides that the staff spoke poor English and was not helpful at all, the only time they cared about you was when it was for you to pay them. It is a great place to meet people, and the house is nice.

ITS NOT DOWNTOWN ! 2KM AWAY FROM TRAIN ST. - UPHILL THE ORGANIZATION OF THE HOSTEL IS A MESS - OVERBOOKED ! MANY PEOPLE WITH BOOKING SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR The lady is rude, I told her 1 day before I wanted another night and next day she just cancel my booking, she SHOUTED at me saying i did not have a booking, VERY RUDE ! the owner of this place should hire new staff because the place is nice, just TOO FAR from city center....

Really disappointed with this place. booked due to the great reviews it had got! we arrived late by Sri Lankan standards, shortly after 9pm (we had phoned that morning to confirm our booking and inform of our late arrival) on arrival we were told that we didn't have a reservation and that it was our fault!! luckily I had the booking info to hand and luckily there were still free beds (not in the room we'd booked but beds no less!) The lady was very rude, unfriendly and unhelpful. we were told w

the only problem I wanna share is there's not bus can reach the hostel, and there's a long way to kandy lake.

Loved the ambience of the hostel. The caretaker of the hostel - I addressed her as aunty - was extremely friendly and helpful. The view from the hostel is amazing, facilities were good. I felt at home. Not very far from central Kandy, should cost your LKR 200 by a tuk-tuk to reach Kandy Lake. Almost all major attractions of the town are walkable from the lake. The best hostel of all the hostels I stayed in, in Srilanka.

• 8th Jul 2015
  • India

Stayed there for 3 nights, mostly because of they have a balcony where people all gather around at night chatting. The hostel is on a hill 20 minutes walking distance from downtown Kandy. You will need a taxi (250-300 rt one way). Staff is very friendly except one woman (the owner?) who overcharged us on laundry, refused to sell lunch to us the minute after we checked out, and offered a ridiculous price for a trip the driver didn't wanna go.

• 6th Jul 2015
  • China

Quaint, chilled hostel.. Not a big party vibe - but that goes for anywhere in Kandy. Staff were always very friendly, they try to be helpful and even thought their English is better than most there was clearly still a language barrier. Easy to walk down hill to town.. And lots of different people to meet at the hostel.

This place was quite charming. It's not exactly downtown but I didn't mind the walk. The location is rather beautiful. The thing that annoyed me was I had paid for two nights. However while I was in bed about to sleep the lady running the place came in turned on the light and demanded I pay for the second night. I explained I had already paid but more badgering she insisted I hadn't. Eventually it was sorted but the accounting systems in place are bad. My advice make sure you keep your receipt.

Terrible location, otherwise it was very chilled! The owner was very cute and nice! love the balcony!

Staff is super nice, good common area, mozzie nets, beds a bit smallish and only thing is that it's a bit out of town (15min walk) besides that very nice!

This was my favorite hostel . Everyone is extremely friendly. Seriously it feels like you have known them your entire life after only a 10 minute conversation. For a busy hostel, they were surprisingly very active in keeping the place squeaky clean. Also good to have a cup of coffee and watch a movie in the lounge. :)

If all dorms are fully booked, one bathroom will never be enough.

Ok place, the location is a little bit complicated and it is hard to find it on your own for the first or second time.

Very friendly

• 7th May 2015

It was a nice stay. Cero complaints. Aprreciate it.

NOT DOWNTOWN Located a long way from centre of Kandy and the railway station. On arrival, it was obvious that the bed I'd booked in the 4-bed mixed dorm had been given to someone else. Hostel has a good vibe, with a nice common area that has a table, sofa, chairs and cable TV. The breakfast room is downstairs and the kitchen is accessible all day. You can store your own things in the fridge. Breakfast consists of a boiled egg, banana, slice of tomato, 3 slices of toast, butter/jam, tea/coffee.

Of the various places we have stayed throughout the island, this was by far the worst. We arrived late morning to a locked door and no caretaker. The caretaker had difficulty speaking English and could not help us with simple questions about Kandy sites or means of transportation out of the city. The bathrooms lacked toilet paper and soap. Bedroom windows did not close and pillows looked disgusting. Terrible location as well. Avoid if you can, which is unfortunate, because it had good reviews!