Karibu Hostel Reviews

P.O. Box 2143, Moshi, Tanzania

Don't waste your time and choose a different guesthouse. Was planning on staying here 3 days but after the poor experience on day 1 (the staff (foreign) failed to arrange a pick up from the airport, the room was not ready upon arrival, the person running the place has a rude attitude towards guests and local staff) decided to move to a different place far superior for the same money.

Hi Susana, My name is Asier, and I am one of the foundator of the Born to learn project (see more info at www.borntolearn.eu), also we started karibu hostel and all the profits we get from the hostel, we support the project. We are currently building a school in a rural area near Moshi for kids that can't go to school. These comments in HW are very important to us, to be able to keep sustaining the project and I'd like to know what happened to have this bad experience and apologize for any inc

I have been back and forwards to the Karibu Hostel on and off now for 4mths, Its a very safe place to stay, and the food is exceptional, I really enjoyed my time with them it is now my second home, and I would not stay any where else, Ailsa who runs the Hostel made me feel comfortable from day one. She is a hard working Lady who works 24/7 for the hostel and her charity work, and nothing is to much for her. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone, they will not be disappointed.

• 19th Sep 2014

A friendly little place, just wish it was closer in town

I was so happy I stayed here! The staff was amazing and I they are doing great things with Born to Learn and for the town of Moshi. I did not come as a volunteer but as a tourist and they were able to help me sort out so many different activities. Great place!

• 13th Apr 2014

Stayed there a couple of nights before climbing kili and cant really complain, good location and friendly staff.

hello, It is a very beautiful place, with very good atmosphere and very frienly. All the sourrounds are great and everything has been perfect. Deninitily I recomind it and if I go again to Tanzania I w,ont have any doubt in trying to stay in the same hostel. GREAT KARIBU HOSTEL!!!. Inma

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Spain

The people who run this place as well as the volunteers are mostly all very friendly. The hostel is a bit outside of the center but that’s no prob, a taxi around M costs not much. The showers/sink were not clean at all. Neither the one inside nor the one behind the main house. Please buy some good old bleach and clean the bathrooms thoroughly. Also I didn’t like the fact that we were not allowed to use the kitchen to cook our own food. Apart from that, it's still a good place to stay in Moshi.

Best stay ever in a hostel! Great people, great atmosphere! Thanx to Jose and his sekretary! :) Asante sana!

• 21st Dec 2013

This might sound cheesy but words cannot express how much I enjoyed staying at Karibu Hostel. I was only planning on staying there for one maybe two days but ended up staying for 3 weeks. It was the perfect "home base" for all my Moshi adventures. AND it supports a much needed 'Born to Learn' primary school for underprivileged children. Everything about it is great!

• 8th Dec 2013

Only stayed one night here but we really liked it. Ailsa made us feel very welcome and helped us with everything we needed. All the profits go to a NGO wich is a plus!!

I had a really lovely time at Karibu hostel - Ailsa and her team were very friendly and accommodating, and made me feel a part of the Karibu family even though I was only there a few days. The school is a great venture and well worth a visit. They were well true to the name, I felt most welcomed!

We booked a double, yet stayed in a bungalow outside. Apparently no double rooms in the main building, just dorms. Part of the bungalow's consisted only of wire mesh - this gave us a "chicken stable" feeling. The mesh was so wide that all insects could come in, and obviously there was no sound insulation at all. We could hardly sleep because of the trucks bumping through the potholes on the road beside. The facilities outside were, well, very *basic*. There's a kitchen, but cooking is forbidden.

We are so sorry that you had this experience. We pride ourselves on giving 100% satisfaction within the limits of being a hostel. We reviewed your booking which was for a twin or double bungalow. We wish that you had addressed your concerns at the time as the standard double room was available. We are a hostel and our facilities are basic along with the price. We offer both breakfast and diinner and as a convenience to our guests an upstairs kitchen, no stove but refrigerator, plates...

Very good vibes!! Best place to stay in Moshi.

• 13th Sep 2013

A wonderful place (the hostel supplements the work of a charity to educate children) run by an exceptional woman who was helpful from the moment we arrived, to the moment we left. Our trip was safer, more comfortable, and generally more pleasant for having stayed here pre and post kilimanjaru climb.

• 3rd Sep 2013
  • All Male Group, 31-40

We shared good time with amazing people in Karibu hostel and their help was very usefull to plan our trip. We also had the oportunity to know the interesting project Born to learn, We recomend to all people.

• 13th Aug 2013
  • Spain

The manager Ailsa is an absolute gem! I was made to feel so welcome from the moment I arrived - all my washing was done for me, we had a huge BBQ that first night in the gardens, and Ailsa helped me try find cheap flights for my next destination. The hostel has a lot of long-term Spanish volunteers, and despite not speaking a word of Spanish, they all made me feel like part of the family and chatted to me in English so I felt included. Really lovely place!!

• 7th Aug 2013

The owner is an angel. Really really good good person!

Myself and my daughter enjoyed our stay with Mama Sam and loved Christinas beautiful cooking! We also enjoyed the company of interesting Spanish volunteers working for Mama Sams school project "Born to Learn", and we were able to visit this interesting project for a day. The only issue was the antics of the local police force, whom due to the heat trained in the early hours of the morning, so everyone was woken at 3.30am in the morning to the sound of running and chanting on a nearby road!

• 25th Feb 2013

Richard and I had a wonderful weeks stay at the Hostel. We give the Karibu Hostel, two thumbs up! Friendly people, a safe enviorment, and a comfortable atmosphere to relax in.

• 25th Feb 2013

Great hostel/staff. I'm not sure about location to Moshi town as I never went there. Beds are comfortable and food is great. This hostel is a base for a volunteer program so there's lots of international people to converse with and they foster a communal and friendly atmosphere. If you pay a little extra you can join in in breakfast and dinner which is delicious. Downside was my dorm room was beside the dining area and the police go running past chanting at 3:30am. That said I would stay again.