Karibu Hostel Reviews

P.O. Box 2143, Moshi, Tanzania

This Hostel is in a great location to explore the city of Moshi or as a stop over for other activities such as Climbing or doing a Safari. The manager Alfredo was extremely friendly and helpful. His advice about the local area was very useful and he even took us all into the city to show us around. The beds are comfortable and mosquito nets are provided. You can stay in the hostel in the evening and enjoy a meal or the bar in busy the season.

Great place to stay. I found out about the project and ended up staying 2 months here with them. All owners and staff are brilliant. Free breakfasts and tasty communal dinner for reasonable price every night. I really enjoyed my time with karibu hostel. Also a good place to organise safari and Kilimanjaro tours as I feel moshi is nicer than Arusha

Amazing atmosphere at this hostel. The friendly people who run it make you feel at home straight away!

Because we had to leave early, we got our breakfast at 5.45 am. That was great and we didn't expect that. Very helpful staff and good information about moshi and zanzibar. Close to the main road, so it is a bit noisy, but a large and nice garden

Had an excellent experience here. Sam and Alisa were extremely warm and welcoming and the property itself is very nice. Appreciated the breakfasts every morning and the hot water showers. Highly recommend.

• 19th Dec 2014

I know there are some dissatisfied reviews here but other than the wifi being out (which the hostel recommended a wonderful place to find some) and the occasional black out which didn't affect anything, this place was lovely. The security made me feel very safe, the location was perfect (an easy five minute walk to Moshi) the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. The grounds are beautiful and the breakfast they offer is delicious. Couldn't be more satisfied!

• 22nd Nov 2014

Don't waste your time and choose a different guesthouse. Was planning on staying here 3 days but after the poor experience on day 1 (the staff (foreign) failed to arrange a pick up from the airport, the room was not ready upon arrival, the person running the place has a rude attitude towards guests and local staff) decided to move to a different place far superior for the same money.

Hi Susana, My name is Asier, and I am one of the foundator of the Born to learn project (see more info at www.borntolearn.eu), also we started karibu hostel and all the profits we get from the hostel, we support the project. We are currently building a school in a rural area near Moshi for kids that can't go to school. These comments in HW are very important to us, to be able to keep sustaining the project and I'd like to know what happened to have this bad experience and apologize for any inc

I have been back and forwards to the Karibu Hostel on and off now for 4mths, Its a very safe place to stay, and the food is exceptional, I really enjoyed my time with them it is now my second home, and I would not stay any where else, Ailsa who runs the Hostel made me feel comfortable from day one. She is a hard working Lady who works 24/7 for the hostel and her charity work, and nothing is to much for her. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone, they will not be disappointed.

• 19th Sep 2014

A friendly little place, just wish it was closer in town

I was so happy I stayed here! The staff was amazing and I they are doing great things with Born to Learn and for the town of Moshi. I did not come as a volunteer but as a tourist and they were able to help me sort out so many different activities. Great place!

• 13th Apr 2014

Stayed there a couple of nights before climbing kili and cant really complain, good location and friendly staff.

hello, It is a very beautiful place, with very good atmosphere and very frienly. All the sourrounds are great and everything has been perfect. Deninitily I recomind it and if I go again to Tanzania I w,ont have any doubt in trying to stay in the same hostel. GREAT KARIBU HOSTEL!!!. Inma

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Spain

The people who run this place as well as the volunteers are mostly all very friendly. The hostel is a bit outside of the center but that’s no prob, a taxi around M costs not much. The showers/sink were not clean at all. Neither the one inside nor the one behind the main house. Please buy some good old bleach and clean the bathrooms thoroughly. Also I didn’t like the fact that we were not allowed to use the kitchen to cook our own food. Apart from that, it's still a good place to stay in Moshi.

Best stay ever in a hostel! Great people, great atmosphere! Thanx to Jose and his sekretary! :) Asante sana!

• 21st Dec 2013

This might sound cheesy but words cannot express how much I enjoyed staying at Karibu Hostel. I was only planning on staying there for one maybe two days but ended up staying for 3 weeks. It was the perfect "home base" for all my Moshi adventures. AND it supports a much needed 'Born to Learn' primary school for underprivileged children. Everything about it is great!

• 8th Dec 2013

Only stayed one night here but we really liked it. Ailsa made us feel very welcome and helped us with everything we needed. All the profits go to a NGO wich is a plus!!

I had a really lovely time at Karibu hostel - Ailsa and her team were very friendly and accommodating, and made me feel a part of the Karibu family even though I was only there a few days. The school is a great venture and well worth a visit. They were well true to the name, I felt most welcomed!

We booked a double, yet stayed in a bungalow outside. Apparently no double rooms in the main building, just dorms. Part of the bungalow's consisted only of wire mesh - this gave us a "chicken stable" feeling. The mesh was so wide that all insects could come in, and obviously there was no sound insulation at all. We could hardly sleep because of the trucks bumping through the potholes on the road beside. The facilities outside were, well, very *basic*. There's a kitchen, but cooking is forbidden.

We are so sorry that you had this experience. We pride ourselves on giving 100% satisfaction within the limits of being a hostel. We reviewed your booking which was for a twin or double bungalow. We wish that you had addressed your concerns at the time as the standard double room was available. We are a hostel and our facilities are basic along with the price. We offer both breakfast and diinner and as a convenience to our guests an upstairs kitchen, no stove but refrigerator, plates...

Very good vibes!! Best place to stay in Moshi.

• 13th Sep 2013

A wonderful place (the hostel supplements the work of a charity to educate children) run by an exceptional woman who was helpful from the moment we arrived, to the moment we left. Our trip was safer, more comfortable, and generally more pleasant for having stayed here pre and post kilimanjaru climb.

• 3rd Sep 2013