Kaya Reviews

Kijitonyama, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

No Rating

The location rating coms with a remark: It is not closer to the center of Dar, but in a very nice, calm, safe ad cozy neighborhood.

Very nice staff well run place and very clean

Friendly staff and clean airy rooms but very far from decent eateries and the centre of Dar.

The owner of Kaya is a wonderful and helpful woman. I found the location to be a bit too remote for a first arrival in Africa. I preferred the much cheaper rates and access to services in Central Dar. For the price, I expected more from Kaya, despite the friendliness and cleanliness of this small guest house.

We enjoyed our stay. It was almost being at home and having a family around. they do a very good job in Kaya. We also loved the neighborhood, and especially the life band on Saturday evening (the Village Museum).

The "off the beaten track" location didn't really matter. The friendly staff made up for the distance and it's only 20 min to get downtown with public transportation and cost 250 Shilling.

The hostel is located out of town but can be easily reached by bus. It has a homely atmosphere. There needs to be a TV and a phone available for guest to use and receive calls. In addition, brochures should be available about the tours of the city and what one can do and where one can go. Overall it was a very good place to stay. I will recommend it to other if they need a quiet tranquil place to relax. Claudine C. Foster Canada.

it's a bit fas from city center, but staying there was lovely! the house and the rooms are very nice, and "mama kaya" is wonderful! we would definetly come back!!

I liked both Kaya and Dar el Salaam. I will definately stay again in the future.

Although we were not collected from the airport, as promised and did not get a room with private bath as ordered, the guesthouse has potential. They probably have to see how to exploit the local township and maybe let tourists visit local homes, shops, churches and mosques. Do the religious organisations have to start so early with prayers and bell- ringing?

Too far out

• 20th Feb 2007
  • South Africa

I did not end up staying here as the directions that were on the internet did not seem to match up to the streets. I had a very scary experience in a taxi driving around in the middle of nowhere and I thought I was being taken off by the taxi man. The email from Kaya had said it would be easier and cheaper to get a taxi instead of their pick up of $20. It cost more than that for the taxi and was not easy to find. I also rang them and they were expecting me at that time and no one answered. So especially for a girl travelling on her own I would not recommend Kaya, or I would say that they MUST send an airport pick up to avoid my experience happening again.

Very helpful in organising transport and places to visit in Dar Es Salaam.

Nice enough place but quite expensive and not the place if you want to be in the city centre.

It would be good if the hotel had more information about places to go: for example local places to eat; to shop; public transport and how to access safaris. The staff were nice and the hotel was lovely and in good condition.

View all Dar es Salaam Bed and Breakfasts