Kendal Hostel Reviews

118-120 Highgate, Kendal, Cumbria, Lake District, England

Overall this was a good stay. However, the reception is not open 24hr as stated in facilities (sign posted on the front door advises that reception hours are 08:00-10:00 & 17:00-20:00), very annoying when you arrive at 2pm expecting to be able to leave your bags and explore, although the staff were happy to help out. There was no bar, unless it was referring to one a couple of properties behind the hostel. The heater didn't work well, but there were extra blankets in the cupboard.

Felt extremely ripped off staying here - no heating on in mid November, which meant our wet shoes never got dry for the next day, there was no soap in the toilets but we did manage to find some in the kitchen - although in the kitchen there were no hand towels so presumably people were drying hands on the same teatowels used to dry the kitchen things. Kendal itself was dire, difficult to find a decent restaurant and pub, the quietest town I've ever seen on a Saturday night!

Major concern: cleanliness. It's below what I expected in a country like the UK. For the price I didin't expect the Savoy but I expect a minimum. The common room and my room were, very simply, dirty. In the 3 days I was there not once did someone go in my room and on-suite to check on it and clean it. As for atmosphere, the place is set up in such a way as to not foster any contact between folks. It seems to me that there not a clear focus on what the place wants to be. The WIFI stinks.

View all Lake District Hostels