Kick Ass Hostels Reviews

2 West Port, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

The dorms here are freezing cold. Superficially, the hostel looks good, but then you look where they got cheap and the windows have no insulation so the corridors are hot but the place where you sleep is like a refridgerator. Then they turn off the heating during the day. Only thing colder than the rooms is the staff. Other reviews mentioned this so I'll say that I never, ever saw any staff smile or enjoy their day. Travellers are an annoyance that get in the way of staring at their screens.

The staff was friendly though it depended on who you talked to on helpfulness. The facilities were clean for the most part but a heater would have been appropriate since it was really cold in all room! The bar was great for meeting other guests and the location is absolutely perfect for anything one wants to do! I would recommend as well as stay here again.

• 19th Jan 2015

I had a very nice northface jacket stolen early on in my stay but the staff was very helpful and thorough when looking through their camera footage and were able to return it to me! The bar upstairs was also very convenient with a great atmosphere as well as the café on the first floor.

• 16th Jan 2015

LOVED THIS PLACE! The next time I am in Edinburgh I will for sure be staying here. The location is amazing, it is right on West End/Grassmarket which is a short walk to the Royal Mile, plus there are a ton of cool pubs and clubs within a close radius. We walked outside to an amazing view of the castle. It was great. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the facilities are all very well kept, they even look brand new. My bed was super comfortable and the locker space was perfect.

• 16th Jan 2015

Very good hostel. Good place to stay.

Was a really good hostel... Cheap food, cheap drinks and really nice facilities !! Would stay again :)

Liked the usb, plug socket and light next to each bed. Bathroom great and never had to wait for shower. Food in bar is awesome- big servings and reasonably priced. Fully equipped kitchen with lots of fridge space. Only downside was the noise coming from the upstairs bar until late (when staying on 2nd floor). Sounded like elephants where playing ping pong.

Very friendly staff and the cleaning crew keep on top of the cleaning very well considering its a very busy hostel it is very clean. The bathrooms are cleaned very regularly and the kitchen is kept very clean. Because of this I was more than happy to cook all my meals there. The only negative thing I would say is no mirrors in the dorms, women like full length mirrors and the shower is a bit of a pain as it is swimming bath constant pressing style.

• 8th Jan 2015

Super quality for the money.

The hostel is pretty nice and clean. They've obviously put a lot of effort into the decoration and atmosphere of the place, but it didn't feel excessively friendly while I was there. The beds were comfy, the wifi was good, the café downstairs was nice (didn't go to the pub upstairs). There was some noise from the walkway next to the room I stayed in, which was annoying but not terrible. The room also had a bit of a weird smell to it, but overall it was a pretty standard hostel.

Wish they did free breakfast

I was there for Hogmanay and I booked last minute so got a pretty decent deal. It was recommended to me by people I had met and was perfect for a place to crash. 10 or 15 minutes from the bus and train station. Self-catering kitchen, bar (with Jenga, Wii and movie nights). Colourful shared bathrooms (not gender segregated, but the showers and toilets have doors and locks so this is not a problem. One of the staff members was not very interested, but the 2 on night shift 2nd January were amazing!

Great hostel in great location. My room had a gorgeous view to the castle of Edinburgh. I also really liked the cafe, it was very clean and the selection was pretty good for a decent price. The hostel is quite clean overall, but doesn't have much of an atmosphere. But I would definitely stay at this hostel again!

• 28th Dec 2014

This is a cool hostel with a lot of fun add-ons like the bar and cafe. Staff was helpful with suggestions from sightseeing to clubbing.

1. Good location with lots if tourist spots nearby, such as royal mile, castle but need 20minutes walking distance to nearest train station: edinburgh waverey station or haymarket station. 2. nice kitchen 3. cheap and good breakfast in the cafe 3. clean toilet and bathroom 4. a bit noisy as there are many pubs nearby

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Hong Kong

My stay was very pleasant. The bar was awesome, the organised Wii dance party was great, the price for a pint of fosters was amazing, the staff were lovely, the room was clean. My only complaint would be the way the wifi system works. Because the code rests at 7am, this meant I wasn't able to use the internet from my bed in the morning without having to go find the new code. Normally first thing in the morning I would want to check what to do that day on my phone so this was a slight annoyance.

Hi . thanks for the cool review. We are pleased you enjoyed yourself. We are looking to alter the wifi code so that the code only changes once a week to avoid customers having to go down to reception every morning to get new code. Thanks letting us know about this small problem. It always helps us to get customer feedback. Hope to see you back soon KAH Crew :)

I highly recomend this hostel, good staff and really nice atmosphere.

Thanks for the awesome review. Its always so nice for our crew when we get such positive feedback . Have a safe journey onwards and we hope to see you back soon . KAH Crew :)

Kick Ass boasts a clean room, a powerpoint right beside the bed, huge lockers for your luggage, a cafe below and a bar above, good toilet and bathing facilities. What more to ask for? Save for location being a tad far from the train and bus station, this place is recommended.

Location is good, but we couldn't sleep at all. It is very noisy and the room is too tight. Beside that, you will need to pay if you need a padlock, or if you need to store your luggage.

The bar has really good prices. The waffles are AMAZING!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7