Killarney Railway Hostel Reviews

Fair Hill, Co. Kerry, Killarney, Ireland

Very convenient location, right near the major bus and train terminal, and within 10 minutes walk of almost all the pubs! WiFi was intermittent throughout the building though, but was available in the common areas freely.

We have stayed at this hostel many times and usually love the atmosphere and staff, as well as the location and value. This time we were really disappointed due to one female staff member who was rude from the second we arrived. She was unprofessional and unfriendly. We woke one morning to her shouting and cursing about another customer. We did speak to the manager before leaving but didn't feel the complaint was taken seriously. Unfortunately I don't think we will be returning this time.

• 16th Oct 2015

Rather noisy as walls are very thin. Not many power points in rooms either.

Staff were very unfriendly, they asked me to Not Book Ober hostelworld. There were Mold everywhere in the room. They didnt Even said bye, when i left the Hostel. First and Last stay for me.

There are some shady people hanging around, and a couple times felt like I was being sized up when I walked through the common area. Got the feeling this place is being used as a crash pad by more than a few people there. The shower in the shared dorm had cracked and broken tiles and what looked like nothing but dirt under them. I would not stay at this hostel again, nor ever recommend it to anyone. Not a very well managed hostel.

• 13th Oct 2015

Oh. Did I miss writing a review? :((( Oh... no. Here is the review. First of all, lovely atmophere just at the entrance you can feel. outside garden is small but so cozy, and easy to hang out with poeple from all the countries in the world, and although the super budget price, the staffs are so kind, and considerable, and super ready to tell, explain, let you know the information. you want to see the lake? or the calm atmosphere inside the mountain? why are you hesitating to come here? :D

Only stayed one night but that was enough to say this hostel is pretty good! The only issue I had was with the "atmosphere" as my rooms window was directly above the patio and people were pretty loud until very late at night. Other than that everything was fantastic! The guy at reservation was super nice and helpful. Rooms and toilets were clean as were he showers. I only went in the kitchen once for breakfast but that seemed clean as well.

The rooms are comfortable, you feel welcomed. The hostel is good located and the price is very cheap. The only drawback is the breakfast, I prefer having a breakfast service with more products, provided by the hostel.

Hostel really clean, good facilities and good value for money. However double bed uncomfortable and cold and wet room. Light breakfast really light :-)

Great location.

• 4th Oct 2015

There was a lot of mold in the shower- the doors to the shower didn't close so the water went everywhere and made using the bathroom unpleasant. There was also a lot of accumulation of dust near the beds which was uncomfortable. Management was friendly . Otherwise excellent location and friendly atmosphere!

The kitchen was dirty.We payed for breakfast but on the following morning there was no milk,tea bags or bread.The rooms were not as they are on the pictures.We slept on the bed with our clothes on Staff not at all helpful.When my daughter complained the man at the counter banged his hands on the counter andtold her to fu..off..WE WIILL NOT BE STAYING THERE AGAIN

• 26th Sep 2015

The common space and dining room is small and one Group was listening music with max volume, at least I could not stay. The water of shower was cold for me. I saw 3 staffs, 2 of them are ok. But one was terrible treatment for me.

• 26th Sep 2015
  • Japan

Very comfortable, easy to access and clean.

• 25th Sep 2015

The Railway Hostel was definitely worth a stay. The staff was great, very friendly, helpful, and always up for a wee chat. Very neat facilities with well equipped kitchen, plenty of showers and toilets, and a spacious common area where you can hang out or use their guitar. The rooms were great with very comfortable beds. Everything is very colorful and neat so that you don't feel as if in your standard low-budget accommodation, although this is one of the cheapest hostels we found in Ireland.

• 24th Sep 2015

Good location and friendly staff. The mattresses were comfortable but the top bed was too low, so we couldn't seat on the bottom bed (not practical, especially when in a very small room). The room would benefit from a refreshing (mold, no pressure in the shower, seat and blind in bad state) and the "less than 3 seconds of water" faucet was annoying...

I thought it was unsanitary to have towels to dry dishes. People wipe their hands on these towels, then others dry dishes with the same towels. Who knows where the hands have been, or what illness a person may have that they could pass on. I, unfortunately, do not have a suggestion, but did not use any dishes, and skipped breakfast, once I saw that.

• 21st Sep 2015

The place is quiet and clean. It's close to the raíl station and put you in contact with tour operators in the area and bike renting. The girl at reception (Teresa) treated us as if we were old friends giving us good advice on what to see, when and how to get there as well as information on good restaurants, pubs and shopping places. Breakfast is good enough: bread, butter, jam, cereals and milk. Goog quality-price relation.

• 18th Sep 2015
  • Spain
  • All Female Group, 41+

The place was dirty and disorganised. The staff has a slapdash approach to work, caring more about smoking than welcoming the new guests. If you want to cook, the tools are very very poor and no oil nor pepper are for free; if you want to clean your plates, you have the oldest sponge I've ever seen... The lockers are small, dirty and smelly We will definitely not recommend this hostel

My first contact with the lady behind the desk was excellent and she gave me all the information in a pleasant, concise no complete manner. The night man was excellent as well. He helped me in getting up at 5:30am. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay! Wayne Dickson

• 16th Sep 2015