Kimberley Hotel Back Packers Reviews

48 Roeland Street, Cape Town, South Africa

The hostel manager Mike is amazing! I enjoyed my stay there. his hospitality really impressed me. I will definitely go back to see the city and to talk to him too. When I do, I will certainly stay at this hostel Huang

Dirty pillowcases, toilet next the bed not very romantic. TV and bedside lamp not working. Breakfast was included in booking but they would not supply free breakfast. Bar people where very rude and would not allow us to run a tab even though we where staying for more then a week. Not very secure as the barman showed me how to kick the door at the bottom and get in without a key. No parking without being harassed by car guards who extort you for money before you can park. But the food was great.

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • South Africa

Kimberly Hotel has such an amazing opportunity to be great, but it fails to deliver. We booked for a group of students, we were asked to pay a deposit, 12%, which we did. Upon arrival we were given a invoice from the whole amount. When asked what happened to the deposit we paid, we were informed that it was a booking fee, and we still had to pay the full amount. The rooms were shockingly dirty!!! Please clean your hotel and remember, rather be honest instead of making false advertising.

We are upgrading to international status now. If booking through Hostelworld the 12% is a booking fee paid to them. The balance of the amount is reflected on the confirmtion you would have received.

I could not last 30mins in that building because the whole place smells of cigarette and the noise coming from the pub down stairs was unbearable. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I was there on a Church trip and I couldn't imagine my church uniform smelling of cigarettes. The place is not bad. It just needs some good hygienic care and those who neither drink nor smoke should not be affected.

• 27th Jun 2014
  • South Africa

Smoking is not allowed anywhere except the downstairs bar. We are upgrading the backpacker now.

The hostel remembers its old good days,is well located,has exellent helpful Mikey on board and is worh recommending if you do not spend much money the value you get is the right one

We had a great 2 week stay at the Kimberley Backpackers and Hotel. We thought it was fantastic value for money We would highly recommend it to all travellers. Thank you very much Mickey!

• 9th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

Not the best hostel in the world. When we arrived they couldn't find our booking which ended up being on the computer screen the whole time. The guy in charge was less than helpful. We booked in for a double room and ended up with four single beds in our room. The bathroom door broke off and the taps were broken. We barely slept due to the extremely loud music below us from the bar.

We have attended to the problems you mentioned, unfortunately with the bar downstairs some noise does permeate upstairs but it is not only a problem here as most backpackers with bars have a similar problem.

We really enjoyed our time in Cape Town and Kimberley H. B. added a great deal to that. First of all: The price is unbeatable! We were checking up different hostels and this was by far the cheapest. When we arrived we even got a double bed room for the same price even though we hadn't booked for one. Irene, I think she's the boss there, is a hilarious, incredibly nice lady. One time I forgot to take my room key with me and had to wake her up at 2 am and she was totally cool about it!

• 17th Sep 2013

Toilets were in a state. I was bunched with some permanent residents who spun me yarns of uncomfortable stories. On the positive, the location isnt bad. But this place was a bit shabby, the 'lounge' was basically a couch in the passage. Pay the extra 20-50 bucks and rather stay somewhere else...

We are in direct Contact withTheesan in order to get all the details so that we may rectify the short commings

The place is nice and ancient (in a good way)... The staff really went the extra mile to make us feel welcomed by getting us towels and giving nice suggestion of places to visit. The English pub is great, and if you room is at the top, you don't hear the music. The private bathroom is just beside the bed... No walls... So if you are a couple, it is a nice place to check if you are really good with each other, lol. Nice place.

We had room 1, which sleeps 3 and has a private balcony from which we could see Table Mountain. The room was clean and nicely-furnished -- antique furniture, flat-panel TV, fridge, etc.! There was a bathtub but no shower. They advertise "airport transfers" but they don't have an email address listed and it's impossible to call since the phone is located in the bar -- they could never hear me and would just hang up. The manager, Bumper, was quite rude to us.

For one night it was okey.

Tobacco smoking from the bars on ground level filtered up and made the air bad in the rooms on second floor. - For the money paid, it was a good experience, because we had things to do right in the centre of Cape Town.

• 15th Nov 2012
  • Denmark
  • Couple, 41+

The old building made for me a very nice feeling, but it's not a place for someone who wants high standard. Downstairs they have a nice pub, which can be a problem for the people sleeping on the second floor. The staff is busy in the pub so it takes some time to get service.

Very hot, without fan.

It was really good prize and in a great place! staff wasnt around much..... and dont expect the private bathroom to be a real bothroom its just a toilette and a shower in the middle of the room

Loved staying here! Bar can get a little noisy at night, but the atmosphere and staff were awesome. Would stay here again.

the owner, dean, was super friendly. free welcome drink, free safe box, very helpful with questions, excursions, awesome colored rooms. i would stay there next time again!

• 2nd Nov 2010

It isn't a backpackers, but it's a hotel.

nice bar, great staff, room with fridge & TV...enjoyed the stay there..