Kinlay House Cork Reviews

Bob and Joan's Walk, Shandon, Cork, Ireland

2005 Total Reviews

Rooms smelled like cigarette smoke

• 22nd Nov 2014

more than 2-3 saucepans in the kitchen are needed; replacement knobs for the stove so that lighting it to cook doesn't require 2 people - one of them holding where the knobs should be with a towel; in my room most of the power points didn't work; the tubes in the internet room were blown and not replaced

Big hostel with a small kitchen (queue for using the cooker) My 12 bed dorm was separated in 3 sectors by a wall. The old bunk beds look like a mix of hammock and bed, but are comfortable, not stable (feel all movements of your fellow traveller) To open the door is a noisy challenge. TV room good to meet travellers. Breakfast was basic, compared to similar places it was rather poor. The hostel seemed clean, but very old. ok for a night and it was well located to visit Cork City Centre.

The hostel in general is quite good but the kitchen could use some more equipment...

The bathroom for the sleeping dorms was a catastrophe. You are better off here taking a private room, they are much cleaner.

I'd say it really depends what kind of room you get here, in the privat rooms it's clean. I stayed this time in a 10 bed deluxe dorm and in a 16 bed dorm. The bathroom in the 16 bed dorm was catastrophic and unfortunately my bed was dirty (think that other guests put their stuff on my bed because I came later). the breakfast is ok, there is toast and tea. Staff was always friendly and helpful.

This is a nice place and the location is great. Staff is very friendly and helpfull and I would defenitelly consider staying there again. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs as there is a church nearby. The only thing I didn't like was the shower. In women's bathroom there were two showers, in the other shower room there weren't no light and the other room you couldn't lock. Also you had to push the button in the shower every 30 seconds or so which was very annoying.

Arrived at Kinlay House for the Cork Jazz Festival. The price was high but expected considering the time of year. I had stayed previously in Kinlay dorms which I felt were as expected for a hostel. This time we took a deluxe room but it was far from deluxe!. Situated beside a busy road there was constant traffic keeping us awake. The smell on entering the room was repulsive and I felt embarrassed having booked it. Small, unclean and over-priced. The rest of the hostel is nice though...

• 24th Oct 2014

Good attention and excellent breakfast. Our room was very comfortable and the stuff was very good

• 23rd Oct 2014
  • Spain
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Pretty good spot, great facilities

Only in cork 1 night didn't even go in the common areas so can't say a lot about them, but the staff I spoke to were very helpful giving us a map and writing on it various places worth checking out, and the location was really good 5 mins walk from the the bus station and the city centre, room was ok for the money decent beds and clean enough bathrooms

• 17th Oct 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The four bed private room was soooo small! Besides from that, it is relatively well positioned, the breakfast was really on the threshold of acceptability, cool TV room with unfortunately old fornitures, the common bathroom was not particularly clean. Moreover, some of the staff members (especially the "eating room staff", but also one of the receptionists ) were nort particularly friendly and/or helpful

Double room turned out to be a triple bunk bed so watch out for that. The room was clean - though the window was broken and let lots of rain in. The staff were very pleasant, the kitchen was fine - though someone stole some of my food. Breakfast was awful, they didn't even have real milk only UHT. It just wasn't great value, and I won't be back. Next time I'm in Cork with soneone I'd pay maybe 5 or 10 euro more each and get a B

Good breakfast and nice people!

well this was my second time to stay at Kinlay house Cork.Staff are always really helpful with any needs you may have,and even though i travel alone i never feel it when i stay there-so cheers lads and ladettes.

• 10th Oct 2014

The staff was all very helpful, the room was very clean, and the location was very close to city center. I had a great experience and would recommend this hostel to anyone.

I really liked spend these days in this hostel, people with whom I shared the room were very nice and all the Staff of the hostel also, thanks

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Nice place to stay! There is a huge kitchen for use, a light breakfast. Wifi worked really well. Bathrooms were decent, though the locks on the toilet and shower doors need to be looked at, they are awful. Also, the doors to the room are awkward and need to be shoved pretty hard to open. Rooms were nice a spacious with lots of places to store stuff. Staff was friendly and nice. The hostel is quite loud, especially the church bell next door that rings at all hours!

Was only there for a few hours sleep in the end but was very nice and comfortable.

• 13th Sep 2014

Not the best part of town. Needs more power points in the room. Otherwise clean and decent.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4