Kinlay House Cork Reviews

Bob and Joan's Walk, Shandon, Cork, Ireland

1916 Total Reviews

This may not be the most organised of hostels but it had a nice atmosphere. And there was no hassle leaving luggage and collecting it later. The kitchen was good. Also, a online PC was available to hostellers. I will stay here again on my next visit to Cork.

There's no locker facilities, tv room is closed at certain hours. Location is decent. Shower and toilet is okay, kitchen is good but would prefer if we can stay there after 10pm as well. Maybe until 12? Should add more plugs source in the room and fix the shaken bed

This hostel is fine. Just a few little issues. The kitchen needs to be updated. It's cramped and hard to operate the cook tops. I also find it strange that the biggest common area (the dining room) shuts down at 10pm. Which causes people drinking to be herded into the cosy TV room and interrupt people relaxing there. It doesn't really help the atmosphere all that much. If these things could be addressed than this hostel would be great.

The staff was extremely friendly so I felt very welcome. I loved the TV room, it was really comfortable. I don't have anything really negative to say, except that I wish there was wifi in the rooms and the only thing that bothered me was the fact that the ladder to the top bunk I was staying in was not entirely connected to the frame which made it tricky getting up and down. Other than that, for the price, everything was great!

• 15th Aug 2014

Very pleased to have selected kinleyhouse. I feel delighted with meeting new people everyday. Downside would be to ear the bells ringing all day long sometimes, otherwise Its a fun hotel (-:

• 13th Aug 2014

Gud hostel

• 12th Aug 2014

Poor breakfast (add cornflakes and juice maybe)

Pros: Good location with some parking out front. Wi-Fi worked fine. Private twin room had lots of space/storage for luggage, toiletries etc, which is really appreciated. Cons: "Breakfast" included was really just toast. Laundry facility wasn't self-serve. Toilet/shower room was small and inconvenient.

Kinlay House Cork was a great place to stay. The staff were friendly, the location was nice, and the hostel was well-kept. I would have liked if the bathrooms were cleaned more often, as they weren't done during our stay, but otherwise it was a fantastic place to stay! I definitely recommend it!

Obviously when I booked I knew that a 16-person room is going to be noisier than an 8-person room, for example, but I think the price was a little high for the quality of sleep I received. I understand that july/august is high tourist season, and therefore prices are higher than normal, but I thought paying 15 euros a night was a little steep for the experience.

• 1st Aug 2014

The matresses were the worst i ever slept on. Some money got stolen out of my backpack and some food got stolen although it was properly labeled. Would not recommend staying here.

The internet connection was really poor and when asked repeatedly to try and resolve it we were told that they could not guarantee internet despite it being advertised as one of their services.

• 16th Jul 2014

Security: Keys need to be handed in at the reception and are given back without ID check.

The bathroom was dirty and the shower doors only covered half the showers so water went everywhere and everything was wet. The dorm room only had two plugs which were behind someone's bed and I didn't want to reach over the person or leave things on their bed. After check out, I left my bag in the luggage room and when I returned, I just picked up my bag and walked out. I could have taken anyone's bag. No staff member acknowledge me and door wasn't locked. Mattress was very old. TV room was nice

I was a disappointed with my stay. I awoke at 3pm with a couple entering the room. They chatted and continued to eat fish and chips for about 20 minutes. Although this could happen in any hostel, but I partially blame the hostel for allowing them in at that time. One of them was intoxicated with something as he stumbled around the bedroom. Is there not a time where the hostel says your too late to enter the hostels?

• 10th Jul 2014

The showers on the floor which catered for room 102 were abysmal. They worked on a timer and had to be pressed again every 15/20 seconds. There was also the other shower which lasted 4/5 seconds on the floor meaning that there was effectively one shower for the entire wing of that floor. They also took aeons to come up with warm/hot water.

Big kitchen, nice living room, clean. Staff very helpful.

Front desk staff very accommodating when I needed to change room. Also helpful with directions, recommendations, etc.

The room we had smelt a little bit odd, one duvet was very old and felt lumpy. Aside from that there were no issues. There was a free unexpected breakfast of toast which was good.

Bit of TLC needed for rooms, new blinds, bit of new paint, check all window seals etc. Extend breakfast time slightly for the party animials!

• 2nd Jul 2014