Kinlay House Cork Reviews

Bob and Joan's Walk, Shandon, Cork, Ireland

Difficulty of access by car. Should be good to know where to park before coming for the first time.

• 15th May 2015

Had to pay a deposit when booking online, never got it back. Staff were very average, checking out there was a blonde lady on reception who was extremely unhelpful. Very bery basic, no toilet paper in the room. It was average. I wouldn't call it value for money since I was charged €7 to book it online- that charge was described as a "deposit" which you would normally receive back if nothing was broken, (we Left the room exactly as it was), but I was told the deposit was nothing to do with them.

• 14th May 2015

Hi Alison - As you booked through Hostel World (booking engine linked to our web site) they charged you a Booking Fee of €1.50 and a 12% Deposit from the total room rate. You just paid the balance on arrival then. Sorry for the confusion but it was not a 'deposit' on the room / key etc Regards, Management

The only problem I had with Kinlay house was finding it Located behind behind Maldron Hotel was tricky to get too. A good landmark is St Anne's home of the Shandon bells in the alley (street) dead ends at Kinlay house , parking in front of Kinlay house .

Very nice shower as well it was great to have shower/toilets on every floor as well. The only thing is that the rooms were kind of smelly (musty smell) and that the light would flick on and off in room 305. Some of the staff were really helpful but some were not - so it would really depend on who was working as to what answer you'd be able to get. (i asked one staff member and i got a "just google it," as an answer....)

The toilets were dirty and, in the shower tub, there is no hook to hang the clothes . Also, the was just a strong stream of water. The bed is very and uncomfortable . However , the staff was nice and friendly.

Had a nice stay, met some nice people!

Very nice double room with en suite bathroom. Clean and spacious. Kitchen with everything needed to prepare a meal open in the evening. Breakfast was available there in the morning: toast, butter, jam & tea/coffee. Best thing at Kinlay House: the staff! Especially Andy gave us a lot of great touring tipps. All the other staff members were very welcoming and helpful, too! Enjoyed our stay there. Thanks. :)

• 9th May 2015

We really liked this place. The staff were wonderful to us. Recommend highly.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

I was extremely impressed with the staff upon arrival and during my time there. They were very helpful and easy to talk too. I was disapointed in the cleanliness of my bed as there was hair stuck to my pillow when I arrived. I was also disapointed that there was not enough keys for everyone in my room so those who got back later had to knock on the door to be let in and hope that they weren't waking anyone up to be let in. Other than that though, the hostel was a good experience.

We stayed in a deluxe double bed private in kinlay house. The room and bathroom were clean and well equipped, the shower might have been the best I have ever seen in a hostel and breakfast was just as ok as hostel breakfast can be. The staff has been very friendly and competent and there always has been someone there to help. Just next time... no more partys in the tv-room please! ;)

• 9th Apr 2015

Hostel was ok for the money it costs but i cannot say i felt very comfortable there. Some staff was nice, other (the cleaning lady in the kitchen) wasn´t that polite. Compared to Kinlay hostel in Galway the one in Cork is so so much worse, obviously things can be done better. But for two nights i enjoyed my stay. I suggest not to give more freedom to people in the hostel, no kicking people out of kitchen at 9:30, just stop serving breakfast, also the common room could be opened longer. 6/10

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Czech Republic

This hostel is perfectly located, near the main areas to visit. Staff is lovely, and breakfast is FREE. Great security system, you leave your door-key at reception desk whenever you go out, there is a code to enter the building. The only thing that might be bothersome is that they heat the rooms on full-power between 7PM and 9PM so make sure your are out between 7 and 10PM if you do not wish to melt. Very good service overall for the price ! I recommend it !

Good place to stay but we would have like a little bit more choice for the breakfast

• 4th Apr 2015

Staff was extremely accommodating and helpful. We had a flight cancelled and had to stay an extra night, and they worked with us to arrange that, on a busy Saturday no less!

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Spain

The Kinlay house is in a great location! The bus stop is almost right outside the hostel. It was a bit loud but the rooms were very clean and the wifi worked pretty well.

Says we have a private bathroom but not, asked the receptionist who said "yes we did not put it on the website.." . Had to go to the common bathroom which were not really clean. Breakfast ends at 9:30 which is quite early. Almost kicked out the last day while having breakfast (we were supposed to leave the room at 10:30.. A few things not working like electricity, lights..

• 20th Mar 2015

Sorry - but our 4-Bedded Private Rooms are not en Suite - they have shared bathrooms on the corridors.

Great hostel with great staff and a great atmosphere. Stayed for about a week this time and found a new person to chat with every day. Whether it is at breakfast or in the dorm. I can warmly recommend it!

• 20th Mar 2015

The staff were friendly & efficient. Pretty central location, which is easy to find. The hostel was very quiet during my stay and I almost had a dorm to myself. The fact that a keycard was not required and doors are locked by a code is handy. The only negative point to my otherwise pleasant stay was the fact that parts of building looked in need of some attention.

Good place to stay with in an excellent location in the middle of the town.

• 14th Mar 2015

Smoke smell in the room.

• 13th Mar 2015