Kinlay House Cork Reviews

Bob and Joan's Walk, Shandon, Cork, Ireland

The room was supposed to be for girls and instead it was full of boys it was so embarrassing!! There was no separated bathrooms it was mixed boys and girls so I had to change my clothes inside the toilet!! During the night I couldn't sleep at all because people were coming all the time talking aloud so disrespectful!!! There was no locker for my stuff so I had to hide my bag under my blanket. When I woke up my stuff was everywhere and a guy was sleeping over my jacket because he had no pillow.

• 5th Feb 2016

Excellent for a individual travellers happy to spend time on their own and large groups or permanents stayed there. The shower was amazing... Best one I've had while travelling. Thanks :)

Hi, Thanks for the positive feedback! Glad you were happy here.

Clean mold in bedrooms, offer more with "breakfast" besides just bread. Even cereal would be a great addition.

• 22nd Jan 2016

Great shower pressure, which was important to our group after staying in 7 hostels in 7 nights. Across the river from the heart of the city, but it was an easy walk and there are plenty of restaurants and places to eat near the hostel. Spacious, quiet, and very friendly staff. No complaints.

Hi, Thanks for booking with us and for reviewing the place. Some of our showers are like power showers alright!

Overall my stay at Kinlay was a good experience. The staff were friendly and I met some nice people who were also staying there. There were a few things that I didn't like about it though. For instance, there aren't many outlets in the room so it was difficult to charge my phone when all the outlets were taken and there weren't any near my bed. The rooms were kind of cold though so I always had to bundle up at night in order to stay warm.

• 1st Jan 2016

No heater in the room 306, it was 15°c inside. We ask for an extra blanket but they didn't have any. There was no electricity in the booked room, we had to change room and therefore not in the room next to our friends. I don't recommend this hostel.

• 1st Jan 2016
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Avoid it, the walks are covered in black mould, and stink like mould. We decided not to stay there bc of the mould walks and smell, but the hostel decided to charge us. The fact the walks were covered in mould, did not deter them for charging us.

• 27th Dec 2015

Stayed in a 10 bed dorm, which had obvious patches of mold on the ceiling and carpet and the room was quite stuffy. Otherwise, there were no major issues.

We've only been there for the night, so I think it was ok. The big problem (that got me really traumatized) was the HUGE group of loud and uncivilized people staying there. From screaming and running in the corridors to banging on the doors till almost 1am, I think the worst part was the fact that no one from the hostel staff moved a finger to, at least, control the situation. And my towel that was drying on my bed during the night disappeared. Besides that it was ok.

It's a normal hostel. Breakfast is not as good as the other hostels. But the location was not bad and the common room is good to hang out with new friends. There is a area for internet which is nice.

When we got there, there was a bed mix up. Andy helped us out and was able to get us our own room, he went above and beyond to help us. We had a great few days with Andy, he showed us around town and took us to some cool bars with some awesome music. Andy you're Amazing!

Thank you very much Spencer! We're very glad you enjoyed your time here. Thanks again for the feedback!

Staff where very helpful and friendly. Couldn't sleep though as traffic was loud outside and thin windows didn't block this out. When trying to take a shower in the morning and evening the water pressure was awful and at one point no water came out for 15 minutes.

• 14th Nov 2015

Thank you very much for your feedback Andrew! We had some plumbing problems during the time you were here. These problems have since been seen to. Thanks again!

Great hostel willwill definitely book again

• 7th Nov 2015

Thanks James! Your feedback is very much appreciated!

Horrible staff, didnt have enough room keys for everyone in the room so literally told us to go knock on the door and wake people up to get in. Also not helpful when askjng for recommendations for what to do in the city but if you need just a place to sleep its fine

Thank you for your review Sara! We are sorry you did not enjoy you time. Nevertheless we will take the points you have made under consideration. We value all customer feedback.

Pretty nice hostel overall. I was only there one night so didn't spend much time here at all, but was happy with what I got for the price I paid. Very short distance to city centre which made sightseeing and bus connections very easy. Would probably stay again if I were in Cork.

Thank you very much for your review Benjamin! Your feedback is very much appreciated.

This is a good hostel. Just three comments. 1. It would be better to close the kitchen at a different time for cleaning. Lots of people wantto have breakfast between 9:30 and 10:30am. 2. Having only three functional outlets (one was broken) in a dorm of 16 is not convenient. Even just adding power bars could be an improvement 3. Some of the beds were very creaky, much more than others. Having maintenance people inspect periodically and tighten any loose connections would be good.

Thanks Alexis - We are aware of the issue regarding outlets - we are waiting for the electrician to add more power points in the dorms, sorry about that. New beds are also being ordered for the dorm you were in - before Christmas. Will discuss the kitchen times here but the kitchen is open from 7 to 9.30am for breakfast before cleaning.

The staff at Kinlay House Cork were very courteous and helpful. The facilities were better than I would have expected from a hostel, though, admittedly, I did not use the kitchen. I stayed at the Kinlay House for 3 weeks, and if I needed to stay at a hostel in Cork again, I would certainly stay at Kinlay House. The location was very convenient for any access to City Center and sufficiently convenient for me use of UCC and the Mardyke Arena area.

• 1st Nov 2015

Hi William, Thanks for your positive feedback! We'd be delighted to have you stay here again if you should ever come back to Cork.

The hostel is in a small hill really close to the city center and has not so friendly staff. The beds are not noisy, the bathrooms are usually clean, but most of the building smells musty. The breakfast served has bread (white and brown), jam, butter and tea. One bad point is that they do not have enough keys for everyone in a room.

Thank you for your review Eric! We will take the points you have made into consideration.

Everything was great but the hostel should definitely change the mattress in the ensuite double rooms! Our backs are still sore and we left cork 5 days ago

• 31st Oct 2015
  • Belgium

Sorry to hear that. We changed alot of the double mattresses this year but must have missed that one. Will change it now

My esperience at Kinlay House in Cork was absolutely no excellent! Heating was off and the window of my room was broken! I paid too much for the facilities they didn't offer! The receptionist at my arrival was quite rude. On the contrary, the girl who attended me in the morning was nice, but it was to late to compensate my terrible night.

• 27th Oct 2015