Kinlay House Cork Reviews

Bob and Joan's Walk, Shandon, Cork, Ireland

1967 Total Reviews

Pros: Good location with some parking out front. Wi-Fi worked fine. Private twin room had lots of space/storage for luggage, toiletries etc, which is really appreciated. Cons: "Breakfast" included was really just toast. Laundry facility wasn't self-serve. Toilet/shower room was small and inconvenient.

Kinlay House Cork was a great place to stay. The staff were friendly, the location was nice, and the hostel was well-kept. I would have liked if the bathrooms were cleaned more often, as they weren't done during our stay, but otherwise it was a fantastic place to stay! I definitely recommend it!

Obviously when I booked I knew that a 16-person room is going to be noisier than an 8-person room, for example, but I think the price was a little high for the quality of sleep I received. I understand that july/august is high tourist season, and therefore prices are higher than normal, but I thought paying 15 euros a night was a little steep for the experience.

• 1st Aug 2014

The matresses were the worst i ever slept on. Some money got stolen out of my backpack and some food got stolen although it was properly labeled. Would not recommend staying here.

reality does not match the description on the internet, everything is very dirty, it smells, and wi fi does not work half the time

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • Croatia

The internet connection was really poor and when asked repeatedly to try and resolve it we were told that they could not guarantee internet despite it being advertised as one of their services.

• 16th Jul 2014

Security: Keys need to be handed in at the reception and are given back without ID check.

The bathroom was dirty and the shower doors only covered half the showers so water went everywhere and everything was wet. The dorm room only had two plugs which were behind someone's bed and I didn't want to reach over the person or leave things on their bed. After check out, I left my bag in the luggage room and when I returned, I just picked up my bag and walked out. I could have taken anyone's bag. No staff member acknowledge me and door wasn't locked. Mattress was very old. TV room was nice

I was a disappointed with my stay. I awoke at 3pm with a couple entering the room. They chatted and continued to eat fish and chips for about 20 minutes. Although this could happen in any hostel, but I partially blame the hostel for allowing them in at that time. One of them was intoxicated with something as he stumbled around the bedroom. Is there not a time where the hostel says your too late to enter the hostels?

• 10th Jul 2014

The showers on the floor which catered for room 102 were abysmal. They worked on a timer and had to be pressed again every 15/20 seconds. There was also the other shower which lasted 4/5 seconds on the floor meaning that there was effectively one shower for the entire wing of that floor. They also took aeons to come up with warm/hot water.

Big kitchen, nice living room, clean. Staff very helpful.

Front desk staff very accommodating when I needed to change room. Also helpful with directions, recommendations, etc.

The room we had smelt a little bit odd, one duvet was very old and felt lumpy. Aside from that there were no issues. There was a free unexpected breakfast of toast which was good.

Bit of TLC needed for rooms, new blinds, bit of new paint, check all window seals etc. Extend breakfast time slightly for the party animials!

• 2nd Jul 2014

previously i have stayed at the Bru Hostel on MacCurtain Street purely because it's close to the bus station, so on this occasion i decided to try kinlay house. even though the hostel is quite a walk from the bus station it does provide a better experience in my opinion - i liked the communal tv/internet room where you get the opportunity to talk to other travellers. the dorm itself was so so, however the view of the city made up for it. i would certainly stay here again.

The kitchen area was needed some upgrades for sure.

I was delighted with the hostel - great city centre location and friendly helpful staff. My room was very clean and comfortable, and better equipped than a lot of B&Bs, with a table and chair, washbasin, large mirror and big storage unit. The communal bathroom area was very clean, and the shower was excellent. The only negative comment I would make is that the hostel is very hard to find, both by car and on foot.

• 16th Jun 2014

The terrasse is so nice ! Thanks for having so nice persons at the reception and being a comfy place to crash while in Cork !

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel. When I go back to Cork, I'm sure I'll stay here again. The staff were incredibly helpful, the facilities were clean, and it was reasonably quiet.

Quiet and a good location.

• 3rd Jun 2014