Kiwi Airport Backpackers Reviews

144 McKenzie Road, Mangere, Auckland, New Zealand

JUST SLEEP ON THE FLOOR AT THE AIRPORT!!! My friend and I stayed here one night for a layover and they didn't even give us keys to our room that worked. The place is dark, dingy, and disgusting. The staff are terrible and the price of the hostel is NOT WORTH IT! The shuttle costs $5 each way - their is NO FREE SHUTTLE! Trust a fellow backpacker they is relatively low maintenance and stay ANYWHERE else!

Hostel is in a good location to the airport, $5 transfer (and a $5-6 bus to Auckland City) NO LOCKERS in the dorms at all, we stayed in the 7-bed and my girlfriend had her purse stolen because of it (thousands of $$ spent on her cards too). There was a definite theif in the room (she was acting really suspicous) and we stayed on high alert the whole time - she was a local and no luggage - suspicious? YES. Average facilities that you'd expect anywhere. Itchy, unwashed wool blanket too.

• 11th Apr 2015

I only stayed for one night and the hostel is perfectly fine if you're just planning on an overnighter to get somewhere early the next day. No lockers though!

On arrival the staff member who checked me in was extremely rude. On arrival in my room i struggled to get my bag through the extremely small gap between the bunks. The fact that only a blanket and no top sheet was provided was gross, how is that hygienic. The bathrooms had broken taps and the walls were falling apart. The only good thing was the nice people who were staying at the hostel, there was nothing else going for the place apart from its location. Disgusting i will never stay again.

• 8th Apr 2015

I wish some sort of mats were out when getting out of the shower. I almost fell from the slippery floor!

we arrived Kiwi Airport Backpackers at about 12 and we were told we had to wait 2 hours till we could check in at 2pm. The problem was that we couldn´t stay at the lobby or common area. It was raining and the reception closses at lunch time. So we had to go to the only restaurant near there and spend money . Also they charge you 2 dollars per bag if you want to storage your laguage while you are out BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO STAY!!! The room was smelly , the bathroom is old. Not a nice place.

• 28th Mar 2015
  • Argentina

If you're looking to spend 3x the normal price for a hostel where you will be treated like the scum of the earth, this is your place. They have a hotel, motel, and a hostel all in one convienient location. They claim to offer free wifi and shuttles to the airport, but that is not for the hostel. You'll be charged $5 for each. I paid $100 for nothing but a twin bed (which is assigned). They wouldn't even let us purchase towels to use. Staff was horribly rude to anyone staying in the hostel.

• 14th Mar 2015

It is what it is. A place near the airport. Dont expect anything more. Free shuttle bus too the airport was a nice touch. It isnt the most filthy place ever. Its generally clean but just very basic. Take your flip flops in the shower.

Small dorms, not enough space for the luggage. Kitchen looks like a bomb were there. Smelly rooms at night.

• 28th Jan 2015

Social area way to small. 5$ for airport pick up. 5$ for Wi-Fi access (500mb). Kitchen clean, only space for one person at a time to prepare food thou. Not a social hostel atmosphere, no decorations, professional. The place is more geared to keeping attached hotel guests happy. Good place if you need to sleep and catch a flight early in the morning.

Stayed just for 1 night. Everything was okay. I had everything I needed after 3 flights of overall time of 24 h. Best option for those, who use Auckland just as temporary base between flights.

I was very unhappy with my stay at this hostel, my flight arrived in at 4am and when I rang for shuttle service - I was rudely told that there was nowhere I could hang out at the hostel and couldn't check in until 2pm that day meaning I spent 10 hours in the airport. As a hostel close to the airport, the least they could do is accomadate guests when they arrive at airport. Very disappointing and unhelpful staff.

Hostel Price was avg, but then they charged me $5 NZ for a ride to and from the airport (which totaled to $10), Room had 5 beds (2 bunk beds and 1 single bed). The single bed was "stuffed" in there in an effort to attain more revenue, but it made the room really cramped. More shelving and/or a desk would have been nice instead. I did like the electronic lock system. BUT--I got bit by bed bugs and they did not put the normal 2 sheets on the bed, only a sheet and a blanket!

Simple and close to the airport, not much space in the dorms and noisy doors.

everything was broken in the place.. there was no hot water at all after continuosly ..complaining nothing was done...its not really a back packers at all.. its just a block with rooms in an old motel..had to pay for wifi and if you had to store your bag whisl twaiting to go you had to pay as well... ladies in the front were nice enough .. will never stay here again...just a bed for the night and nothing else... big fail

Arrived shortly before midnight from an overseas flight and was told that there is no hot water available after a long day at work and an international flight pretty poor. I checked out and still no hot water, no shower. They have not put enough efforts in fixing this issue. Good for one night from or to airport.

• 20th May 2014

The stuff wasn't helpful, not at all. This was the worst service I ever had. They confuse you with wrong information and at the end you have to pay extra money. We planned to cancel one of our nights and we rang the hostel. The lady from the reception told us to ring hostelworld.com, as we booked with this website. We did this, we called hostelworld and we wrote an email, just to realise that they tricked us. The right way to cancel a night is calling the hostel (WHAT WE DID).

• 28th Apr 2014

The employees working reception seemed a bit abrasive and impatient toward me. Also, the door lock on the women's Dorm room stopped working and the handle fell off. It was fixed, but it took about three hours, so I was stuck sitting around the hostel waiting for that so I could get my things from the room.

• 30th Mar 2014

For staying near the airport for a night is this a good choice. I recommend to the Backpackers Hostel that a thicker blanket would be nice.

All a bit bare bones, the atmosphere probably changes, though when I was there everyone was very chatty, either through excitement at going home, or deferring the misery of same. The beds are comfortable, the staff very friendly and (at least for us that night) gave out a free 200mb wifi voucher which is neat. There's a shop and restaurants nearby; not an amazing selection, but enough to get you through.