Kiwi Airport Backpackers Reviews

144 McKenzie Road, Mangere, Auckland, New Zealand

Social area way to small. 5$ for airport pick up. 5$ for Wi-Fi access (500mb). Kitchen clean, only space for one person at a time to prepare food thou. Not a social hostel atmosphere, no decorations, professional. The place is more geared to keeping attached hotel guests happy. Good place if you need to sleep and catch a flight early in the morning.

Stayed just for 1 night. Everything was okay. I had everything I needed after 3 flights of overall time of 24 h. Best option for those, who use Auckland just as temporary base between flights.

I was very unhappy with my stay at this hostel, my flight arrived in at 4am and when I rang for shuttle service - I was rudely told that there was nowhere I could hang out at the hostel and couldn't check in until 2pm that day meaning I spent 10 hours in the airport. As a hostel close to the airport, the least they could do is accomadate guests when they arrive at airport. Very disappointing and unhelpful staff.

Hostel Price was avg, but then they charged me $5 NZ for a ride to and from the airport (which totaled to $10), Room had 5 beds (2 bunk beds and 1 single bed). The single bed was "stuffed" in there in an effort to attain more revenue, but it made the room really cramped. More shelving and/or a desk would have been nice instead. I did like the electronic lock system. BUT--I got bit by bed bugs and they did not put the normal 2 sheets on the bed, only a sheet and a blanket!

Simple and close to the airport, not much space in the dorms and noisy doors.

everything was broken in the place.. there was no hot water at all after continuosly ..complaining nothing was done...its not really a back packers at all.. its just a block with rooms in an old motel..had to pay for wifi and if you had to store your bag whisl twaiting to go you had to pay as well... ladies in the front were nice enough .. will never stay here again...just a bed for the night and nothing else... big fail

Arrived shortly before midnight from an overseas flight and was told that there is no hot water available after a long day at work and an international flight pretty poor. I checked out and still no hot water, no shower. They have not put enough efforts in fixing this issue. Good for one night from or to airport.

• 20th May 2014

The stuff wasn't helpful, not at all. This was the worst service I ever had. They confuse you with wrong information and at the end you have to pay extra money. We planned to cancel one of our nights and we rang the hostel. The lady from the reception told us to ring hostelworld.com, as we booked with this website. We did this, we called hostelworld and we wrote an email, just to realise that they tricked us. The right way to cancel a night is calling the hostel (WHAT WE DID).

• 28th Apr 2014

The employees working reception seemed a bit abrasive and impatient toward me. Also, the door lock on the women's Dorm room stopped working and the handle fell off. It was fixed, but it took about three hours, so I was stuck sitting around the hostel waiting for that so I could get my things from the room.

• 30th Mar 2014

For staying near the airport for a night is this a good choice. I recommend to the Backpackers Hostel that a thicker blanket would be nice.

All a bit bare bones, the atmosphere probably changes, though when I was there everyone was very chatty, either through excitement at going home, or deferring the misery of same. The beds are comfortable, the staff very friendly and (at least for us that night) gave out a free 200mb wifi voucher which is neat. There's a shop and restaurants nearby; not an amazing selection, but enough to get you through.

This is a stop gap hostel for people travelling through Auckland airport. As such it has no atmosphere but the place is clean and facilities are basic but adequate to stay one night, if staying longer or to visit Auckland I'd recommend to stay downtown

Had the doorhandle of my dorm room in my hands fisrt time I entered the place, even so I informed the staff it wasn't fixed when I left 5 days later. I booked a girls dorm and on one of the nights was a boy put in to the room... The male staffmember at reception was just rude and arrogant. The female was quit nice though. It's alright for a night but don't recommend to stay longer, unless you have to.

This hostel was just for one night before I left for Germany. I met Germans and Danes and had a great last night hanging out and chatting about their tours and mine. The lock didn't work on the bathroom, but other than that it was an ok place. Kitchen and dishes were there which is convenient.

If you need to stay somewhere close to the airport and don't plan on spending any time here, this is ok. Otherwise I'd definitely recommend a place in the city.

A great hostel if you need to get to the airport, otherwise it is not too close to the city and there is not much around for food or shopping.

This does exactly what it says on the tin - an average hostel as a stopover near the airport. Bit miserable feeling. Staff nice enough.

Room smelt very bad. The only bedding provided was a thin sratchy blanket. Shower was not very good - the power was proportionate to temperature so in order to have it at a reasonsble temp and not scold yourself you had to set it at a dribble. Common room was comfortable.

• 15th May 2013

Obliging friendly satff that made my brief stay great :)

• 3rd Mar 2013
  • New Zealand

Well this place has some ups and downs. The free airport shuttle actually costs $5 each way and they don't have blankets in the rooms which costs $3. Internet is also on the more expensive side. Besides that, the staff are very friendly and helpful, no complaints there. When a couple drunks came into my room a 4am and proceeded to puke on the floor they switched me rooms right away and were very nice about it. Overall, pretty solid.