Kiwi House Reviews

373 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

This was the cheapest private room that I could find for my one night in Christchurch, therefore it was relatively good value for money. It was very basic, but it was fine. The walls were paper thin, so I could hear everything - including what someone was eating in the room next to me. Just about every time someone walked down the hallway I woke up as it was so loud. I had friends to pick me up, but they said the location wasn't very safe for a single female (I did not know this when booking).

• 2nd May 2014
  • New Zealand

i found condom under my bed when doing last checks before leaving. . . id been there 10 days, and it Definatly wasnt me! haha!!! lots of stinking workers boots left in hallways and idiots talking about football. . . . constantlly!!! but staff were cool, more just idiots staying there, like me!

• 3rd Apr 2014

The walls are pretty thin so u hear a lot of what goes on nextdoor. Earplugs were necessary for me to fall asleep but depends on the person next door. Value for money is great with the 38$ single rooms.

• 16th May 2013
  • Austria

the staff was very friendly and helpful! The guy who checked me in even carried my suitcase upstairs! how cool is that.. Even though i've been told this wasn't the best area in Chch i did feel very safe here.. I booked a single room.. and it was very nice.. comfy bed, window, desk, chair, and even coathangers! also a heater and enough plug sockets! only downside was that it was quite noisy.. thin walls and you could here people opening and shutting doors and walking through the hallways.

Very well run hostel with good and helpful staff.

I thougt the room i had was basic but comfortable to sleep in but people were walking about during the night and this was recognised because of the carpeted/ wooden flooring.Food lockers were a good idea for ambient goodsas was the facilities for chilled goods.I thought the location good with the bus stop a few hundred yards along the road.There are just a few shops close to this stop.There is parking space on the road. Other than road works and closures due to the Earthquake it was ideal.

Excellent in all aspects, aside from the wifi which is expensive.

I would like to point out that the small single rooms without wall windows but only roof windows is very uncomfortable and have a prison feeling. Otherwise no further complains.Chris.

• 17th Jul 2012
  • South Africa

Very nice hostel! Clean room, kitchen and shower room. Staff are very helpful and friendly.

• 9th May 2012
  • Japan

Although I am a solo traveller, I enjoyed my short stay at Kiwi House. The staff are friendly, my private room is clean and neat and the kitchen is large and well-equippedt. Even the bath facilities are clean and within easy reach of the rooms. Kiwi House is within walking distance to a bus stop and that's convenient for travelling to the city. There's even a supermarket near the bus stop. I strongly recommend Kiwi House for anyone visiting Christchurch.

• 9th Apr 2012
  • Malaysia

Kiwi House is well placed but with the CBD still closed transport is an advantage as you can not walk across the city. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

• 14th Feb 2012

Stayed on 3 separate nights. Enjoyed meeting the very friendly and helpful reception staff. Well worthwhile for brief stays, everything necessary is available and hostel has plenty of character !

• 20th Nov 2011

The owner of th e guesthouse was very accommodating and welcoming . You will feel at home!and very helpful!

room too small , we were 4 in the bed dorm and i had to let one of my luggage in the corridor !!!!!!!

• 5th Nov 2011
  • French Southern Territories

This hostel is fine, nothing wrong with it, bathrooms and rooms are clean. christchurch is very quiet though and its hard to find things to do at the moment. there is nothing to do at the hostel.

Not a lot of atmosphere but clean hotel in a good location for a cheap price

Fun! I had a great time and the beds were the most comfortable I've stayed on in a while. The only annoying thing wasthe coin internet! Expensive, inconvenient, slow and the noise of it is annoying! But everything else is great.

• 26th Sep 2011

A lot of longtermers seemed to live here.. gives a different atmosphere to a hostel

A good stay, clean, warm and comfortable. Very helpful staff, good social area and kitchen facility. Whole CBD closed off after earthquake so no bustling downtown to go to for restaurants and bars, but suburb bars and restaurants had good food and atmosphere for the rugby.

This is a great place to stay. The staff pick you up, give you great tips and keep the place super clean. The kitchen, although sometimes busy, is well equipped and just upstairs is a great chill out / DVD room. Dorm rooms are a little cramped and the beds are on the small side but that shouldn't put you off.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5