Kiwipaka Waitomo Reviews

Kiwipaka Waitomo, Hotel Access Road, Waitomo, New Zealand

Located in the centre of town and the nearby bar/restaurant is convenient and good value. Staff are fine, not rude just not particularly interested. Kitchen facilities were adequate but under-used. Need to collect cutlery and crockery from reception and leave a deposit...weird. Must have a problem with thieves. No free wifi. This seems to be standard in NZ, which is disappointing. Rooms are fine, didn't use the shower but looked adequate (not appealing).

• 10th Dec 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, the bathroom was a bit iffy but since We're not fussy and just need it for the basics it was fine. Didn't shower here though. There were not any lockers here, but we were in a 4 bed room so we felt fine leaving things in the room. Note that this hostel is a major stopping point for Kiwi Experience buses. Perk was we could control the heat in our room.

The bathrooms looked like they had been built in the 1960 and last cleaned the same year. There were cobwebs and dust on most walls and ceilings. Paper thin walls and noisy.

The best thing about this place was the caring, hardworking staff. They really did try to make the best of the place. Unfortunately that was a hard job as the showers barely trickled, the computers didn't work, I had bed bugs in my room my first night (they were not in the second room and I am sure they have been dealt with since), internet was expensive, and the key kept demagnetizing. However the location was right in Waitomo and an easy walk to most attractions.

I stayed in hostels in every stop along my trip. This was my least fav. Felt kind of creepy and dingy. I stayed in a 2 person dorm. The showers were dingy and I actually was supposed to stay another night but since there is literally nothing to do in this town except for a glow worm excursion, I checked out early (after my excursion and hit the road to shower at my next stop), if you can avoid staying the night in this town-I would, then head on down to Taupo or Rotorua.

Seriously just need to make the bathrooms less dingy and head to Briscos and purchase new pillows for the entire hostel. ..then this would be a 9.9 out of 10 hostel!

Staff were very accommodating, from rooms to food to re-activating my keycard when I put it next to my phone! Very impressed.

• 5th Oct 2014

Great staff and an awesome room!

• 30th Sep 2014

The accommodation itself was superb. However the staff made the decision to close the restaurant/café early due to being quiet. We were told that places around the area would still serve food until 9pm. We went out for dinner at 8.15, and were told at several places locally that they stopped serving food at 8pm. Therefore the two teenagers we had with us had several packet of crisps for tea which we bought from the local pub. Not good!

• 15th Aug 2014