7.5
Very Good 551 Total Reviews
7.5
Very Good 551 Total Reviews
Koa Wood Hale Located at 75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona.
USA
Kailua-Kona Hawaii 96740 75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island
75% 551
19.6415568 -155.9890365
    Rooms available

• Canada, Male, 25-30
21st Nov 2016
7.1

Friendly people all around but the place needs some sort of reno. Everything is quite run down from screen doors with big holes, bathrooms with one hook and stains on the couches. Staff are very keen in terms of organisation and there is first come first serve free scuba/board rentals. During your stay, donations to local mosquitoes are almost mandatory. Not certain why there is no shoe policy, barefoot bathroom = ugh. There's free athlete's foot spray available...no joke

17th Nov 2016

The staff was very nice and the place too and when I go back to that city I'll stay there again

27th Oct 2016

Nice location and good quality/price

22nd Oct 2016
2.0

I called to let the property know I would be arriving late due to a storm we were caught in on another part of the island - the person who answered the phone was rude and just stated they would not be around to let us in. I better not be charged for those nights since it was the properties choice to not accommodate the "PAYING GUESTS". I would never recommend this place to anyone based on this experience.

• Canada, Female, 31-40
18th Oct 2016

What a awesome stay! Very laid back, quiet, safe, comfortable, clean and friendly hostel. I was welcome warmly by the staff and showed around. This place has a home kinda vibe. The owner answered kindly all my question about how to make my stay memorable and direct me to some special place only local know about. Definitely a memorable time there. The place is 10 min walks from beaches, shops, restaurant, market. Loved it and will surely comeback next time I visit!!! Thanks :)

• USA, Female, 25-30
11th Oct 2016

This place is pretty cool, great location, has parking but it is limited. Cheapest hostel I found on the island... Not the cleanest, but not scary dirty... Definitely do-able... The only thing I had a real issue with was the lack of lockers... Your dorm room has a key, but it doesn't do any good if your roommates don't lock the door... I had a rental car and locked my valuables in the trunk (which I hear is a bad idea on the Big Island as cars get broken into all the time...)

• Australia, Male, 41+
26th Sep 2016
4.6

Can't check in between 12 noon and 5 pm cool for the owner, not so cool once you walk up the hill and have to wait 4 hours! Staff generally cool but one balding dude may be better suited to being a jail warden. Get what you pay for on reflection, Some value here in very overpriced tourist area. But don't expect much and you will be fine.

• England, Male, 18-24
18th Sep 2016
2.9

The worst hostel I've ever stayed in. Another guest had to give me a tour because the staff member could not be bothered. I saw the staff ignore countless phone calls throughout the day because they were too busy watching movies. Because of this, security was also non-existent, you would have to knock on their bedroom door if you wanted any form of staff assistance as they would be in there watching their television. No door was ever locked and they rarely cleaned anything. Completely awful.

• USA, Female, 18-24
15th Sep 2016
7.7

wish there were places we could lock our bags up. lockers or cages would have been nice, but rooms were usually left open and unlocked

• USA, Female, 25-30
8th Sep 2016
7.1

VERY basic accommodations, like staying in a box