Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

The hostel exudes a friendly and communal atmosphere and you cannot but become friends with all the staff and travellers there. In the short few days I was staying at Koa Wood Hale, I made meaningful friends whom I hope to meet up again with in the future!

Awesome hostel with a great vibe, friendly staff and great location. Do have a car though, the big island is hard to get around without one.

Not bad, cheapest place in town

• 4th Jan 2015

I had 4 amazing nights at this hostel. Probably one of the best hostels I ever stayed at. The staff and the other guests were so friendly and kind. Bathrooms and kitchens were clean and very usable. Big island in general was great and I couldn't think of a better place then this hostel to explore it from.

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Sweden

For the money, was a very comfortable atmosphere with a fantastic location. I bit hard to find; would suggest a bigger sign, but otherwise, a very well-run hostel. Be prepared for local roosters crowing at 4 am.

the floor are not clean enough for barefoot, no need to barefoot for it...

• 24th Dec 2014
  • Taiwan

Best hostel in Kona

a very nice, laid back hostel, well equipped kitchen, small but clean bathrooms and parking space in front of the property. would recommend staying there for everyone.

This is a really great place to stay. The atmosphere is relaxed. It is located within walking distance from the center. The staff is friendly and helpful.

I have stayed only in 2 hostels on the island and though the other one in Hilo was more of the typical hostel style with nice interior, I like the Koa Wood Hale much more. It's easygoing and relaxed in a great location, it's not the nicest facility, yet clean and it was especially the people that made the place. I stayed there twice at the beginning and the end of my trip and both times were awesome with socializing on the patio.

• 18th Nov 2014

I stayed at Koa Wood Hale, visiting from Hilo for work. I was immediately told by Eric that the hostel was for off-island "travelers" only. It said nothing about that on hostelworld, but he said it would be okay for this time. I later got parked in, and needed to leave for work at 6am. Tried to find parking elsewhere, none. Moved my truck and asked to sleep in back so I wouldn't get parked in. Eric threw a temper tantrum, refunded most of my money, and kicked me out at 10pm. Very rude.

• 4th Nov 2014

Not clean. More people in the room than annouced.

• 30th Oct 2014

Just needed a place to crash for the night because I just had moved from a different island. Considering the cost Koa Wood Hale fit the bill perfectly.

• 19th Oct 2014

I love this place, I extended my time there a couple extra weeks. The staff was so accommodating that I arrived a day early because of the storm. I really liked how it felt secure like home. When others had a change of plans or they arrived early, no ladies were ever sent away with out a place to stay. Once a friend from another hostel arrived and she was having a hard time, they made her comfortable. Another time a bed was made out of the way in the girls dorm. Nice to have a safe place, home!

Amazing welcoming, great atmosphere, very nice staff

Best hostel ever! Didn't want to leave! Will definitely come back! Good location close to supermarkets, shops, restaurants. 10 min walk to Walmart. AWESOME staff! Clean facilities. We even celebrated "Xmas" on Oct 1st ;) so much fun! But they ran out of cups... seems that everyone takes a souvenir ;) and if you're a Big Bang Fan - talk to Josh!

a good place to stay at west coast

Great place for the budget traveler. Would deffo go back. Super friendly staff and great views. A minutes walk to the action.

• 13th Sep 2014

This hostel is located in a great and central location and I enjoyed the nice and friendly atmosphere. The staff is helpful and very friendly. For the value for money its clean enough (seen worse hostels). What I didn't like was the fact that this hostel had no locker facilities in the rooms. Beside that I would stay there again.

• 10th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Koa Wood Hale boasts a perfect location in the heart of downtown Kona, friendly professional staff, and attracts the best travellers. KWH has everything you need like towels, bedding, WiFi, even stuff to borrow such as flippers, snorkelling masks, tents (depends what people leave behind). I stayed here the first night, and returned many times. It was my "home base" during my week long vacation to the Big Island. I will definitely be returning.

• 10th Sep 2014