Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Nice comfortable bed, good shower, friendly helpful staff and guests, good facilities couldn't ask for much more!

• 26th Feb 2015

Beach in walking distance, clean, 2 kitchens available for cooking. No lockers in room.

This was the first time for my wife and I hosteling on our own. The host Erick was very nice and helped us relax and created the expectation that we were going to like the people and the mingling that takes place. He was exactly right; we enjoyed interchanging ideas and experiences with other people from diverse places in this planet. We will definitely, use other hostels when we need to travel. Other people gave us tips about the area and about hosteling anywhere else.

What a nice, calm, and clean place! The two guys I encountered were very kind and accommodating. The beds were super comfy! If only they were in a closer spot to the beach, but it seems that you need a car in Big Island no matter what. Plenty of parking. Recommend!!

Nice place in a quiet yet central location, with a laid-back atmosphere and a beautiful big balcony with ocean and mountain views. Staff was VERY relaxed but still helpful. No lockers for valuables. I liked the no-shoes-inside policy but don't leave anything else but sandals outside - it rains through the balcony floor.

• 9th Feb 2015

Excellent place to stay in downtown kona.

• 5th Feb 2015

The staff was very friendly and was always interested what kind of activities I did during the day.

• 3rd Feb 2015

Good wifi. Really friendly staff. The island has minimal public transport so renting a car is highly recommended. Awesome people

The staff at Koa Wood Hale are the best. They are super friendly, and go above and beyond to make sure you have a great trip. Josh took a bunch of us out snorkeling, Ron lent me his fins, and when I left my sweater behind he shipped it to me the next day (thank you!!!). It's a super chill place, close to the beach, groceries, and really anything you could need. You'll love it there.

• 31st Jan 2015

Best kona hostel, situated just outside the main tourist drag. short walks to groceries, beach, and downtown. very relaxed and fun atmosphere. bring mosquito repellent, and maybe some ear plugs for the rooster next door :)

Thanks for waiting for late check-in. I appreciate it!

• 16th Jan 2015
  • Taiwan

The hostel exudes a friendly and communal atmosphere and you cannot but become friends with all the staff and travellers there. In the short few days I was staying at Koa Wood Hale, I made meaningful friends whom I hope to meet up again with in the future!

Awesome hostel with a great vibe, friendly staff and great location. Do have a car though, the big island is hard to get around without one.

Not bad, cheapest place in town

• 4th Jan 2015

I had 4 amazing nights at this hostel. Probably one of the best hostels I ever stayed at. The staff and the other guests were so friendly and kind. Bathrooms and kitchens were clean and very usable. Big island in general was great and I couldn't think of a better place then this hostel to explore it from.

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Sweden

For the money, was a very comfortable atmosphere with a fantastic location. I bit hard to find; would suggest a bigger sign, but otherwise, a very well-run hostel. Be prepared for local roosters crowing at 4 am.

the floor are not clean enough for barefoot, no need to barefoot for it...

• 24th Dec 2014
  • Taiwan

Best hostel in Kona

a very nice, laid back hostel, well equipped kitchen, small but clean bathrooms and parking space in front of the property. would recommend staying there for everyone.

This is a really great place to stay. The atmosphere is relaxed. It is located within walking distance from the center. The staff is friendly and helpful.