Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Good Hostel and a decent location, staff was very friendly and helpful, good friendly vibes all around and wonderful system implemented for travelers to get to exchange experiences/meet/get rides. If you're a magnet for mosquitoes like me bring bug spray but that can be said of anywhere in Hawaii really.

He was very nice , but I just think that the sistem is not to good, my reservation didn't appear , but he helped to me Anyway . All the people there was nice .

• 7th Jun 2015
  • Mexico

Good wifi; staff can come across rude when being straightforward but overall nice and helpful

• 6th Jun 2015

Very nice Crew. Almost supernatural :)

• 1st Jun 2015

I booked for a private room and it was exactly what I expected. I arrived a little early but Eric let me keep my suitcase in the office while I killed a couple of hours down at the Ali'i Drive Markets. Eric checked me in quickly - bed was comfortable and the girls dorm area was clean. Met some great people to socialise with; made my first visit to Hawai'i a great experience. Just make sure you a) bring mozzie repellant and b) chill/go with the flow. Great for the solo traveller!

• 17th May 2015

The whole hostel is pretty worn out and needs to be updated. There are no lockers and doors to the building are left open all night. The Mosquitos are also a nightmare, we got at least 30 bites each during our 3 night stay. The bug screens are inadequate and the external doors don't have any screens at all. Everything in the kitchen is pretty grubby and needs washing before use. The fan in the mixed dorm is also broken so it was very hot! The staff were good guys and the wifi is good too.

The cleanliness could have been better. The outdoor was not closed for the night. The bathroom could have been cleaner. There were no lockers. The location was good and the staff was nice.

Pros: It´s a good price if you compare to the others places in the town. Location is very good. Cons: The cleanner (Ben) is the only nice person over there. One of the receptionist (who wear glasses) is rude. And here there is a big issue. If you arrive between noon and 5PM, there´s no one to check in. You only know this when you arrive there. In my case was even worst, because the recepcionist was there in the hostel, but too busy drinking beer and watching tv.

Eric was welcoming and friendly.

• 7th May 2015

Nice location but a lot of mosquitoes!!

There's a problem it mosquitos and parking. Make sure you bring bug spray or you will have tons of mosquito bites. There's even mosquitos in bedrooms. If you rent a car you may have parking issues due to only having 3 parking spaces available. This hostel will charge $10 for room key.

• 22nd Apr 2015

Exceptionally clean and roomy. Was a truly great experience staying here. 5 stars for the staff as well, so nice to be around such laid back and chill professional people.

Warning: the mosquitoes here were like an Alfred Hitchcock film. They're everywhere, not just outside but in the dorms, common areas, kitchens. Many of the appliances (refrigerators, stoves etc) are in bad shape if they're functioning at all. There are a limited # of lockers so don't count on getting one. The staff are perhaps a little TOO laid back, they seem to want to skate by with minimum effort. One the plus side, the upstairs deck has a nice ocean view and the beds are quite comfortable.

clean, it was not clean, and athe fan in the dormitory was not working properly. even the common places were not taken care off. it looked like that they are not really improving the invironment. the balconny no really good tablles and chairs to sit.

• 29th Mar 2015

I had a booking for 2 nights. After paying the manager told me, that they have no key for my dorm left. I could have one in the morning after checking out room mates. I was not happy with that, and told him in a friendly way, that I would like to have a room with a key. Then, to my surprise, the manager told me, that they don't need my money and that I could leave, if I wouldn' t like it there. I asked him to calm down, but he didnt't. So I left. Zero recommendation from me.

Great location, great staff. A rather annoying mosquito problem, I got four new bites each day I stayed there. And the loud rooster that wakes everyone up at 5am. Other than that, it was great.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Great location, close to the beach and town. Fun times.

Good place to stay if your looking for something close to Kona. Within walking distance to the beach, grocery stores, and restaurants. The staff is really friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

• 14th Mar 2015

I enjoyed my week stay here, staff was easy to deal with and atmosphere was visitor friendly.

• 3rd Mar 2015

I had a wonderful time staying at this hostel! The location was great and the staff made me feel like I was a member of their family. I highly recommend a stay!

• 3rd Mar 2015