Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

clean, it was not clean, and athe fan in the dormitory was not working properly. even the common places were not taken care off. it looked like that they are not really improving the invironment. the balconny no really good tablles and chairs to sit.

• 29th Mar 2015

I had a booking for 2 nights. After paying the manager told me, that they have no key for my dorm left. I could have one in the morning after checking out room mates. I was not happy with that, and told him in a friendly way, that I would like to have a room with a key. Then, to my surprise, the manager told me, that they don't need my money and that I could leave, if I wouldn' t like it there. I asked him to calm down, but he didnt't. So I left. Zero recommendation from me.

Great location, great staff. A rather annoying mosquito problem, I got four new bites each day I stayed there. And the loud rooster that wakes everyone up at 5am. Other than that, it was great.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Great location, close to the beach and town. Fun times.

Good place to stay if your looking for something close to Kona. Within walking distance to the beach, grocery stores, and restaurants. The staff is really friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

• 14th Mar 2015

I enjoyed my week stay here, staff was easy to deal with and atmosphere was visitor friendly.

• 3rd Mar 2015

I had a wonderful time staying at this hostel! The location was great and the staff made me feel like I was a member of their family. I highly recommend a stay!

• 3rd Mar 2015

Staff made me feel welcome before I was able to even check in. Small pods of two rooms with individual kitchens and bath, but had general outside sitting and eating areas, so everyone could mix as well. Enjoyed the intimacy of eight people in our small pod, sitting around and chatting on a rainy day.

Nice comfortable bed, good shower, friendly helpful staff and guests, good facilities couldn't ask for much more!

Beach in walking distance, clean, 2 kitchens available for cooking. No lockers in room.

This is a small boutique hostel and fills up fast. Do not hesitate at all, book early. Keep in mind the checkin times posted and also ignore any reviews that say it is dirty. This is Hawaii, you may find sand on your floor dragged in by your roommate, just grab the broom in the laundry room. For the price, the least we could do is to pitch in and help maintain this gem of Hostel. Also, there is only one bus from Kona airport in am and in afternoon so time your flight accordingly to pay $2.

This was the first time for my wife and I hosteling on our own. The host Erick was very nice and helped us relax and created the expectation that we were going to like the people and the mingling that takes place. He was exactly right; we enjoyed interchanging ideas and experiences with other people from diverse places in this planet. We will definitely, use other hostels when we need to travel. Other people gave us tips about the area and about hosteling anywhere else.

What a nice, calm, and clean place! The two guys I encountered were very kind and accommodating. The beds were super comfy! If only they were in a closer spot to the beach, but it seems that you need a car in Big Island no matter what. Plenty of parking. Recommend!!

Nice place in a quiet yet central location, with a laid-back atmosphere and a beautiful big balcony with ocean and mountain views. Staff was VERY relaxed but still helpful. No lockers for valuables. I liked the no-shoes-inside policy but don't leave anything else but sandals outside - it rains through the balcony floor.

Excellent place to stay in downtown kona.

• 5th Feb 2015

The staff was very friendly and was always interested what kind of activities I did during the day.

• 3rd Feb 2015

Good wifi. Really friendly staff. The island has minimal public transport so renting a car is highly recommended. Awesome people

The staff at Koa Wood Hale are the best. They are super friendly, and go above and beyond to make sure you have a great trip. Josh took a bunch of us out snorkeling, Ron lent me his fins, and when I left my sweater behind he shipped it to me the next day (thank you!!!). It's a super chill place, close to the beach, groceries, and really anything you could need. You'll love it there.

• 31st Jan 2015

Best kona hostel, situated just outside the main tourist drag. short walks to groceries, beach, and downtown. very relaxed and fun atmosphere. bring mosquito repellent, and maybe some ear plugs for the rooster next door :)

Thanks for waiting for late check-in. I appreciate it!

• 16th Jan 2015