Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Super comfy hostel with extremely relaxed and friendly staff! It's a hostel, so nothing luxurious, but clean and lots of nice people. Plus walking distance to town (and Starbucks!!)

• 20th Jul 2014

This place has great vibes and great people. The layout of the hostel is a little strange- my room and the bathroom was right by the check in desk. And there was a lot of unfinished repair and construction projects. But I had a great time just hanging out and talking to everyone. There was a good mix of long term and short term guests, who were always happy to give travel advice and suggestions, along with the staff. It was walking distance of the beach and shops, and way cheaper than any hotel.

This was a dirty, disorganized place. It was one step above sleeping in the car. Although I would have felt safer and cleaner in my car. The bathroom appeared to be in the middle of some kind of renovation ... but after seeing the rest of the place, it was probably "normal". I would not give this place a second chance. Please do not say "you get what you pay for" ~ I have gotten much more for quit a bit less at other hostels.

• 9th Jul 2014

Friendly staff and a great place to meet some cool people. Perfect location to cruise Ali'i drive and get some snorkeling in.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Very basic but adequate with no frills. Location to town and swimming/snorkling beach is great.

To preface, I have been traveling around for the past 3 months in Europe and in the states bouncing around hostels including one on the other side of the island in Hilo. This is by far the dirtiest hostel I have stayed at. Beware of the deceptive pictures. The downstairs kitchen area especially the floor of the reception desk isn't pleasant. The room upstairs where I stayed at had the basics: bed, chair, and hangers. The location is probably the greatest highlight to stay at Koa Wood.

The staff of the place was great, but so nice that they didnt make sure everybody would respect the rules. Peiple were staying at the hostel without paying, playing music all day and late at night, smoking weed inside the bedroom and not washing their things after use. Big disrespect from these people! Bathroom and kitchen very dirty.

This place has it all: a facility that's falling apart, staff that live at the hostel (often sleeping in the living room), a rude manager, and disgusting rooms. I would never recomend this place to my friends or family.

• 21st Jun 2014

Cool place but know what you're getting in to. I've stayed in a lot of dirty hostels over my time and this is up there. It's an island hostel, meaning no locks on any doors, people walking barefeet indoors (no socks), sandy floors, and mosquitoes flying freely. If you get past that, it's an ok place to chill a couple days. Staff is friendly enough if a bit on the pothead side (more temporary staff/drifters than main staff). Good location, maybe a 10 minute walk downhill to the main tourist area.

Very accommodating staff and visitors to the hostel, great place to wake up!

• 17th Jun 2014

Awesome atmosphere, Awesome people. Another special place that has broaden my perspective of the world we live in. Enjoy the greenery, if you know what I mean. Use mosquito repellent, I learned the hard way!

• 12th Jun 2014

Very good hostel, clean and relax. The Staff is very helpful!

I stayed in a private room in the upper floor, I only share the bathroom with other room. The room was big but there wasnt a chair & a table. The place could improve a lot with curtains, white sheets & if they finish the closet. The kitchen is very nice but there wasnt a fridge. I didnt know if there was a laundry or wifi, nobody told me. I didnt find a place to hang the wet clothes. The first day a receive the sheets, I had to make the bed myself. There are lot of s Cockroaches

Nice hostel. Quiet and clean. Marcus was very helpful and served us perfectly!

Patey's Place is a typical hostel in Hawaii- first world prices for third world conditions. I stayed in a private room and the patio door locked but the room was exceedingly hot and there was a blood stain above the door knob.The bathroom didn't seem to get cleaned during my stay except for the garbage can being emptied and the hand towel changed.The manager was knowlegeable of the area and greeted me daily by my name.However, I would recommend staying at a vacation rental while in Kailua-Kona.

Markus, the new manager, is very enthusiastic and brings a fresh spirit to the hostel. Rooms are very basic, but good value. Thumbs up! Got very helpful information for cycling the island.

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

I enjoyed my 2 night stay at this hostel. The neighborhood was quiet. It's a terrific location and there is an ocean view from the huge lanai. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly - I felt right at home. I loved the layout of the hostel. What a beautiful spot to stay. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit. I would definitely tell my friends to stay here also.

• 29th May 2014

The staff was friendly, but kept some odd hours. The dorm featured a full kitchen, but only one bathroom for potentially eight or nine people. The location was great being only a ten-minute walk to the water, restaurants and Walmart. My biggest issues were with security and parking. There were no storage lockers in my room or locks on any of the bedroom or dorm doors. Parking is very tight. Don't think about putting your car in front of the neighbor's house because she'll yell at you.

Had a great time hanging out with the hostel staff and fellow hostelers, and slept well. Overall great stay!

It is more like a house with many beds. I kept my valuables with me all the time and I saw a lot of people doing the same. Clean sheets. For one night is ok but I don't think I would spend a couple of days there.