Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Great place for the budget traveler. Would deffo go back. Super friendly staff and great views. A minutes walk to the action.

• 13th Sep 2014

Koa Wood Hale boasts a perfect location in the heart of downtown Kona, friendly professional staff, and attracts the best travellers. KWH has everything you need like towels, bedding, WiFi, even stuff to borrow such as flippers, snorkelling masks, tents (depends what people leave behind). I stayed here the first night, and returned many times. It was my "home base" during my week long vacation to the Big Island. I will definitely be returning.

• 10th Sep 2014

My stay here was short but awesome, super friendly staff, good atmosphere and great location, short walking distance to everything.

I stayed there for just 3 days, and in a private room, so I shared bathroom with just one more room, which was excellent, the bathroom was very clean, the private room very good!! The location is awsome, near everything...

Decent place, but I think it's a little over priced (at least for the private room)

Super comfy hostel with extremely relaxed and friendly staff! It's a hostel, so nothing luxurious, but clean and lots of nice people. Plus walking distance to town (and Starbucks!!)

• 20th Jul 2014

This place has great vibes and great people. The layout of the hostel is a little strange- my room and the bathroom was right by the check in desk. And there was a lot of unfinished repair and construction projects. But I had a great time just hanging out and talking to everyone. There was a good mix of long term and short term guests, who were always happy to give travel advice and suggestions, along with the staff. It was walking distance of the beach and shops, and way cheaper than any hotel.

This was a dirty, disorganized place. It was one step above sleeping in the car. Although I would have felt safer and cleaner in my car. The bathroom appeared to be in the middle of some kind of renovation ... but after seeing the rest of the place, it was probably "normal". I would not give this place a second chance. Please do not say "you get what you pay for" ~ I have gotten much more for quit a bit less at other hostels.

• 9th Jul 2014

Friendly staff and a great place to meet some cool people. Perfect location to cruise Ali'i drive and get some snorkeling in.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Very basic but adequate with no frills. Location to town and swimming/snorkling beach is great.

To preface, I have been traveling around for the past 3 months in Europe and in the states bouncing around hostels including one on the other side of the island in Hilo. This is by far the dirtiest hostel I have stayed at. Beware of the deceptive pictures. The downstairs kitchen area especially the floor of the reception desk isn't pleasant. The room upstairs where I stayed at had the basics: bed, chair, and hangers. The location is probably the greatest highlight to stay at Koa Wood.

The staff of the place was great, but so nice that they didnt make sure everybody would respect the rules. Peiple were staying at the hostel without paying, playing music all day and late at night, smoking weed inside the bedroom and not washing their things after use. Big disrespect from these people! Bathroom and kitchen very dirty.

This place has it all: a facility that's falling apart, staff that live at the hostel (often sleeping in the living room), a rude manager, and disgusting rooms. I would never recomend this place to my friends or family.

• 21st Jun 2014

Cool place but know what you're getting in to. I've stayed in a lot of dirty hostels over my time and this is up there. It's an island hostel, meaning no locks on any doors, people walking barefeet indoors (no socks), sandy floors, and mosquitoes flying freely. If you get past that, it's an ok place to chill a couple days. Staff is friendly enough if a bit on the pothead side (more temporary staff/drifters than main staff). Good location, maybe a 10 minute walk downhill to the main tourist area.

Very accommodating staff and visitors to the hostel, great place to wake up!

• 17th Jun 2014

Awesome atmosphere, Awesome people. Another special place that has broaden my perspective of the world we live in. Enjoy the greenery, if you know what I mean. Use mosquito repellent, I learned the hard way!

• 12th Jun 2014

Very good hostel, clean and relax. The Staff is very helpful!

I stayed in a private room in the upper floor, I only share the bathroom with other room. The room was big but there wasnt a chair & a table. The place could improve a lot with curtains, white sheets & if they finish the closet. The kitchen is very nice but there wasnt a fridge. I didnt know if there was a laundry or wifi, nobody told me. I didnt find a place to hang the wet clothes. The first day a receive the sheets, I had to make the bed myself. There are lot of s Cockroaches

Nice hostel. Quiet and clean. Marcus was very helpful and served us perfectly!

Patey's Place is a typical hostel in Hawaii- first world prices for third world conditions. I stayed in a private room and the patio door locked but the room was exceedingly hot and there was a blood stain above the door knob.The bathroom didn't seem to get cleaned during my stay except for the garbage can being emptied and the hand towel changed.The manager was knowlegeable of the area and greeted me daily by my name.However, I would recommend staying at a vacation rental while in Kailua-Kona.