Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

I think rooms keyless and the Hostel doors open during the day could be a little bit dangerous.

The facilities were cleaned every day and the location was an easy 15 minute walk from the beach and town centre. However staff were incredibly rude at the best of times and I know that most were long term backpackers. The exception being the nice gentleman who checked us in but left the next day

• 19th Jan 2016

Stayed 4 nights in a private single room. No tv or A/C- very basic. Free wifi. Everyone was friendly and check-in was easy. Walkable to downtown restaurants. On problem was not enough parking- only 4 spots in a driveway- and 4 more cars behind blocking them in. I couldn't leave one morning because I was blocked in. You might have to wake up everyone in the hostel if you need to leave. Otherwise the hostel was good if you don't bring a car.

Really enjoyed my stay but wish they would co-ordinate hours with flight arrivals.

• 10th Jan 2016

Aside from my kitchen not having a single fork, this place was a delight. Staff was super kewl! Location was primo. Read old reviews and was pretty sketch, but happily surprised upon arrival. Two thumbs up.

I lost my shoes in front of the room door

• 23rd Dec 2015

Josh and Ron are great hosts and the place is in a killer location. Super laid back and quiet as well as clean. I felt very comfortable there and had a blast there with everyone that worked there or stayed there. Josh and Ron encourage you to meet people and give you great tips on what to do for fun locally for free and/or cheap. They are very knowledgable of the island and I had amazing experiences there thanks to them :) Jennifer Bunce

• 14th Dec 2015

For a simple single night stay, this hostel was fine, but any more would have been uncomfortable. Towels were not provided, so one needs to be brought with the traveller. Also because I had to leave early I wasn't given a key (so that I wouldn't lose the key deposit), but it meant that if the rooms were to be locked (which they weren't) I would have needed to find someone else to let me in to my room! For unstressed travellers that travel self-sufficiently, this would have been a good hostel.

• 11th Dec 2015

The bed was really confortable and the bathroom was very clean. The other parts where acceptable.

• 6th Dec 2015
  • Switzerland

The staff are seriously great guys, and the atmosphere was very friendly. Let alone the value you get for staying there, the added value of the atmosphere is unbeatable! They let me borrow their snorkel gear once, body board, and they have a really cute cat.

• 5th Dec 2015

Loved the atmosphere. Nice and relaxed stuff willing to lend a snorkeling gear :). If travelling back to Big Island, I would stay again in Kona Wood Hale

The hostel is nice to meet people and share some trips with other backpackers. BUT the hostel was the dirtiest hostel I've ever been to: dirty beds, dirty and old bathrooms and in the kitchen live mice and cockroaches. The hostel is a barefoot hostel so you go through the dirt of everyone and every animal.. I definitely would recommend to put on some slippers. It is located in a weird area with some weird people around. I definitely don't recommend this hostel, better stay in another one!!!

I had a great time staying here. I met a lot of other travelers and the staff were all so fun and welcoming! Lots of Aloha spirit!

• 30th Oct 2015

Only stayed one brief night. Humble private room for myself. It was perfect for my need s!

I wouldn't stay here any longer than a night or two. Strange vibes. One of the guys working here insulted the people at the place where I was heading to next which made me uncomfortable and it was just plain negative. Made a very poor impression for my first night in Hawaii.

• 27th Oct 2015

Very nice place with amazing staff members. Highly recommended!

Real good location!

• 9th Oct 2015

I enjoyed the my whole trip, the atmosphere is awesome, the people are relaxed and it is located at an really good spot downtown Kona. And everything for a cheap price. I can totally recommend it.

It is a rustic hotel , with dormitories and common facilities , but the advantage is a cheap price

• 15th Sep 2015

I would stay there again in a heartbeat! Josh, the manager, was great. I sometimes wished there was central air instead of just fans, but for 25 dollars a night you can't beat it!

• 15th Sep 2015