Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Best hostel in Kona

This is a really great place to stay. The atmosphere is relaxed. It is located within walking distance from the center. The staff is friendly and helpful.

I have stayed only in 2 hostels on the island and though the other one in Hilo was more of the typical hostel style with nice interior, I like the Koa Wood Hale much more. It's easygoing and relaxed in a great location, it's not the nicest facility, yet clean and it was especially the people that made the place. I stayed there twice at the beginning and the end of my trip and both times were awesome with socializing on the patio.

• 18th Nov 2014

I stayed at Koa Wood Hale, visiting from Hilo for work. I was immediately told by Eric that the hostel was for off-island "travelers" only. It said nothing about that on hostelworld, but he said it would be okay for this time. I later got parked in, and needed to leave for work at 6am. Tried to find parking elsewhere, none. Moved my truck and asked to sleep in back so I wouldn't get parked in. Eric threw a temper tantrum, refunded most of my money, and kicked me out at 10pm. Very rude.

• 4th Nov 2014

Not clean. More people in the room than annouced.

• 30th Oct 2014

Just needed a place to crash for the night because I just had moved from a different island. Considering the cost Koa Wood Hale fit the bill perfectly.

• 19th Oct 2014

I love this place, I extended my time there a couple extra weeks. The staff was so accommodating that I arrived a day early because of the storm. I really liked how it felt secure like home. When others had a change of plans or they arrived early, no ladies were ever sent away with out a place to stay. Once a friend from another hostel arrived and she was having a hard time, they made her comfortable. Another time a bed was made out of the way in the girls dorm. Nice to have a safe place, home!

Amazing welcoming, great atmosphere, very nice staff

Best hostel ever! Didn't want to leave! Will definitely come back! Good location close to supermarkets, shops, restaurants. 10 min walk to Walmart. AWESOME staff! Clean facilities. We even celebrated "Xmas" on Oct 1st ;) so much fun! But they ran out of cups... seems that everyone takes a souvenir ;) and if you're a Big Bang Fan - talk to Josh!

a good place to stay at west coast

Great place for the budget traveler. Would deffo go back. Super friendly staff and great views. A minutes walk to the action.

• 13th Sep 2014

This hostel is located in a great and central location and I enjoyed the nice and friendly atmosphere. The staff is helpful and very friendly. For the value for money its clean enough (seen worse hostels). What I didn't like was the fact that this hostel had no locker facilities in the rooms. Beside that I would stay there again.

• 10th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Koa Wood Hale boasts a perfect location in the heart of downtown Kona, friendly professional staff, and attracts the best travellers. KWH has everything you need like towels, bedding, WiFi, even stuff to borrow such as flippers, snorkelling masks, tents (depends what people leave behind). I stayed here the first night, and returned many times. It was my "home base" during my week long vacation to the Big Island. I will definitely be returning.

• 10th Sep 2014

My stay here was short but awesome, super friendly staff, good atmosphere and great location, short walking distance to everything.

Was a nice vibe there

I stayed there for just 3 days, and in a private room, so I shared bathroom with just one more room, which was excellent, the bathroom was very clean, the private room very good!! The location is awsome, near everything...

Decent place, but I think it's a little over priced (at least for the private room)

Super comfy hostel with extremely relaxed and friendly staff! It's a hostel, so nothing luxurious, but clean and lots of nice people. Plus walking distance to town (and Starbucks!!)

• 20th Jul 2014

This place has great vibes and great people. The layout of the hostel is a little strange- my room and the bathroom was right by the check in desk. And there was a lot of unfinished repair and construction projects. But I had a great time just hanging out and talking to everyone. There was a good mix of long term and short term guests, who were always happy to give travel advice and suggestions, along with the staff. It was walking distance of the beach and shops, and way cheaper than any hotel.

This was a dirty, disorganized place. It was one step above sleeping in the car. Although I would have felt safer and cleaner in my car. The bathroom appeared to be in the middle of some kind of renovation ... but after seeing the rest of the place, it was probably "normal". I would not give this place a second chance. Please do not say "you get what you pay for" ~ I have gotten much more for quit a bit less at other hostels.

• 9th Jul 2014