Koa Wood Hale

Very Good 625 Total Reviews

• Canada, Couple, 25-30
26th Jul 2017
6.6

Was disappointed by added charges that were not included anywhere on the website and not in their personal rules in which they put on the app. When I inquired into this they admitted it had to be paid. Had I known about this additional cost I would still have stayed at this hostel but because they hid it I would no longer stay here.

• USA, Male, 41+
10th Jul 2017

Place was simple but clean. Staff was helpful. Very conveniently located with parking available. Couldn't find a better place in Kona for the money. Met interesting people. Overall a great value!

6th Jun 2017
4.9

I had to leave after first night as it was infested with mice! The staff were understanding but it is a huge issue. I appreciate that they don't want to use poison but there are other ways to deal with it than getting a cat. No air conditioning in room didn't help. Good location if you don't mind hills. No lockers. On plus side they don't fill the room with too many beds like some places.

• USA, Female, 25-30
12th May 2017
4.3

Receptionists are not friendly, never pick their phones up, and the entire place (especially the bathroom) was very dirty. I was given $9 back instead of $10 for key deposit so when I mentioned that one of the employees just gave me a dirty glare for good 30 seconds until giving my full money back. Seems like it was on purpose and who knows how many people really count the money when they get it back. Bed frames are very shakey. A mouse was roaming around the kitchen. However very good location

• Argentina, Male, 31-40
10th May 2017
5.7

The staff was not friendly. They couldnt give me any information about kona or big island. It is close from 12 to 17 hs. If you go there just to sleep it is ok. I couldnt found anything else.

• Germany, Female, 25-30
2nd May 2017

Very centrally located with a good vibe. Nice host and good people here. Even though everything is kept clean and trash outside, a bunch of tiny ants made it into the kitchen. But other than that, great place.

• Canada, Female, 41+
22nd Apr 2017
4.9

Well, we get what we pay for, however nothing justifies extreme rudeness of the guy at the reception desk. I had a booking date mistake and they referred me back to hostel and the young and immature kid didn't even let me explain yelling 'I DON'T CARE!!!'. Upon leaving he accused me of stealing other ppl's 'food', because I had used a pinch of salt! The location is good, atmosphere Ok, NO security, NO air conditioning, cleanliness good. Overall I will NOT go there next time.

• USA, Male, 31-40
13th Apr 2017

Overall an awesome deal and experience! Koa wood hale is a bit run down in places but it's clean and feature full! Multiple refrigerators, and cooking areas, free snorkels & stuff, even coin operated laundry! The mattresses in the guys dorm i was in looked new. I had a great time there and met some awesome people! The staff had time to give me advice on where to go on a hike and gave me a fun tarot reading. This review sounds hokey, but this place is actually pretty cool. Thanks!

• Argentina, Female, 31-40
7th Apr 2017
6.9

Good location but you cannot check in between noon and 5 pm. They don't replied to my emails with questions prior stay. They wanted to charged me more than the pending balance when I got there, but after talking to the manager that was reimbursed.

• sophiahill897025
  • Australia, Couple, 25-30
  • Globetrotter
30th Mar 2017
3.1

Reception staff was terribly rude at check-in! The room was more expensive than quoted online, apparently because we had two people - even though I had booked for two!? There was nowhere secure to leave our bags. Overall the place was dusty, grossly basic and did not have a nice vibe or any atmosphere. We also felt that the check in and out times were really restrictive (especially when you have to leave a key deposit!). If we had our time again we would have paid more to stay elsewhere.

We apologize that you felt a staff member was rude. The private room you booked is quoted at the single person price though it says 1-2 people online. the website doesn't allow the option to select a second person which is why we have to adjust it at the time of check in. We do offer a locker for securing your belongings if you bring your own lock. We apologize for the misunderstanding.