Koa Wood Hale Reviews

75-184 Ala Onaona St, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Markus, the new manager, is very enthusiastic and brings a fresh spirit to the hostel. Rooms are very basic, but good value. Thumbs up! Got very helpful information for cycling the island.

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

I enjoyed my 2 night stay at this hostel. The neighborhood was quiet. It's a terrific location and there is an ocean view from the huge lanai. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly - I felt right at home. I loved the layout of the hostel. What a beautiful spot to stay. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit. I would definitely tell my friends to stay here also.

• 29th May 2014

The staff was friendly, but kept some odd hours. The dorm featured a full kitchen, but only one bathroom for potentially eight or nine people. The location was great being only a ten-minute walk to the water, restaurants and Walmart. My biggest issues were with security and parking. There were no storage lockers in my room or locks on any of the bedroom or dorm doors. Parking is very tight. Don't think about putting your car in front of the neighbor's house because she'll yell at you.

Had a great time hanging out with the hostel staff and fellow hostelers, and slept well. Overall great stay!

It is more like a house with many beds. I kept my valuables with me all the time and I saw a lot of people doing the same. Clean sheets. For one night is ok but I don't think I would spend a couple of days there.

I really liked my stay at The Koa Wood Hale. The staff there is very helpful and the atmosphere is just great. They have some kitchen supplies, but I would recommend going out to eat.

Great hostel, great staff, greater location. Close to a grocery store, plenty of bars, and a huge variety of restaurants. Of you have a car, it's a prime staging ground for any south point/greensand/mauna kea trip you want to plan.

自転車レンタルもあり、1日$10、7日$40と破格。ロードから街乗りまであり。

Nice people but I did not feel secure there. No place to lock my things as far as I could see. Was only there for one night.

Great atmosphere an very friendly staff

This was a pleasant little hostel that made for a good stopover before we headed out to camp elsewhere on the island. The staff were nice and helpful, and the location was perfect for our purposes. You definitely can't beat the price either, in a place like this. The beds were awesome (surprisingly comfy for a hostel) but some of the bathroom and kitchen facilities were on the dingy side. Nothing too scary, but still. And security was pretty lax-- I slept with my pack, just for good measure.

The hostel is beautiful from the outside, with wonderful wall paintings and beautiful foliage. Inside, the female dorms are cozy and comfortable while the mixed dorm needs quite a bit of work--the shower has been gutted, the floor had food and dirt on it, and the metal bunk is disruptive when the guy above you is a violent sleeper. There was some confusion over beds and parking shuffling. Overall, it was still a great value, however. The staff was super friendly, and Kona is absolutely amazing.

• 24th Mar 2014

I stayed at Koa wood hale for 3 nights. It was a nice place to stay and the beds were clean and staff were friendly. Sometimes difficult to get hold of staff if there was no one in the office. I would preffere to have somewhere to lock in the valubles you are not taking with you since there are no locks on the doors either. I would also preffere that there should be age limits or certain rooms for ages above feks 50. I liked it here and would definatly stay again.

1 2 Next » last »