Koala Beach Resort Cairns Reviews

137 Lake Street, Cairns, Australia

Central location, big clean rooms with a little kitchen and sitting area, many electric plugs. Reception processes took quite long. WiFi worked in general, but all my devices couldn't connect; Not unusual in bigger hostels and typically to be resolved by restarting the router, which staff didn't want to do but rather recommended other hotspots outside. I didn't have a blanket and nobody provided one as promised. At reception a received a free night voucher for this the next day, nice move.

Exactly met our requirements, block away from beach, central to CBD, bus terminal, pubs, shopping. No noise after 10.30pm. Great!

I really enjoyed my stay in Koalas. It is really cheap and good for the money. I stayed for 2 weeks in a 6 bed dorm. nice and friendly staff. Really helpful. They don't want to sell you their tours but tell you where you can get them cheaper good beds private bathrooms BYO alcohol and friends cleanliness is alright -kitchen is a bit dirty sometimes, but still not too bad *depending on your preferences you may or may not like it that you have to be quiet at 10:30. So no party hostel

This is a good hostel, of course it's a cheap one so you cannot expect high levels, but the rooms are really nice, with a kitchen area, fridge, toaster, water boiler. Aircon, fans.. So...it is really nice to be so cheap! Just one thing is not useful...there is no wi.fi connection. But there is a free spot just around the corner.

The open hour of reception is too short.

STRONG AVOID!! We had a lot of problems with the British girl at the front desk. They had no record of our booking, which was made months ago, so we all ended up in separate rooms for the first night. She still made us pay the full amount for the rooms we booked, even though the rooms we were moved into were cheaper. She then outright refused to refund us the difference because "the booking was already on the system" which it clearly wasn't. There's more, but I have limited space to write.

• 26th Jul 2014

It is really cheap and therefore cheeky of me to complain however the room was flooded a lot of the time possibly due to the over frozen fridge. Two of the roommates were there one month and didn't seem to mind the filth around them. I ended up washing the shower the first day and cleaning the bathroom the second the other resident cleaned the kitchen. Probably fine for a day but long term not for me. As I say I never complained so partly my own fault.

Would not stay here again. I got there late at night and there were NO BED SHEETS in my room! The reception was closed so I has to sleep straight on a dirty mattress wearing a jumper.nAlso in the middle of the night there were people screaming the the courtyard for ages and there was no one to tell them to shut up. No security. Room was filthy. P.s: Yeah I get that it's budget, but if I wanted to be cold and uncomfortable Id have slept at the airport.

• 20th Jul 2014

We have been to a few hostals in cairns, this one is by far the best and it's cheap! We loved our stay here. The staff are verry friendly and are always more than happy to help. Next time I'm in cairns I will be staying here again. Happy backpacking!!!

Me and another girl in the room booked a female dorm and found out it was mixed when the guy entered the room at night.

The hostel was very clean on arrival and it felt more liek a holiday apartment. We stayed i nthe 4 bed mixed and had our own ensuite/ lounge area/ fridge/ sink/kitchen area. Value for money was excellent. Great location - only 3 blocks from the esplanade or Woolworths supermarket. 10pm noise curfew suited us well, as we were out and about most days. The hostel offers fantastic food vouchers $6 for a meal/ drink at PJ's or 40% off at the Woolshed, both have great food and big portions.

• 4th Jul 2014

I stayed for a little over a week - end of May 2014. I really loved staying here. Each room is like a self contained little flat. The Cleaners were great and friendly when they came around. The only downfall I would say is no internet and the main kitchen. It's not great - but $6.50 vouchers for pjs you won't have to use the kitchen.

Friendliest and most helpful staff in all of Aus!