Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel

6.2
Good 597 Total Reviews

15th Feb 2017
3.7

Staff were rude and unhelpful. Wifi was almost unuseable we had to ask them to reset the router about 5 times. We were told to be quiet after 8pm in common area even though the bar/hostel next door was playing music till around 2am. All in all it was my worst experience in a hostel around the world.

• brandoncave14
  • USA, Male, 18-24
3rd Feb 2017
3.7

I stayed at this hostel while backpacking throughout Thailand, and this happened to be the worst experience I've had in the whole country. I encountered no problems from theft, to cleanliness until I traveled here. The location of the hostel is amazing but the cleanliness and the service level of the staff is TERRIBLE. I got bitten by bed bugs severely and it was only after I showed my bite/scratch marks as well as the actual (dead) bug was when I got someone to listen to me about the facility.

Unfortunately the bug you found crawling on your bag had been thrown away by the time I'd got to the hostel and so I was unable to confirm it wasn't a bed bug, however the reception staff did confirm it was not a bed bug. They also fully inspected the whole of the room and mattresses in the room you were staying in and there were no signs of any bed bugs anywhere and no one else who had been staying in the same room either before, during or after you has reported any problems either. As I said to you when you showed me the bites you had, which there were many (rough estimate over 100) they did not look consistent with bed bugs as they were around the knees and just above your knees and also your lower back which looked as though they were bites around a pair of shorts as opposed to bed bug bites which are usually along veins in a line. These looked a lot more like sand fly or mosquito bites as opposed to bed bugs to me as I have been bitten by all 3 during my traveling days. I did in fact tell you this when you showed me your bites and explain that the bed mattresses are sealed to prevent bed bug infestations and then also covered with an additional anti bed bug hygiene under sheet below the fresh bedding you were given upon check in. I'm not sure what your issue was with the staff although they had told me that you had been asking for a refund for both nights of your stay and becoming aggressive towards them when they called me, even though you'd said you had been bitten only on one of the nights that you stayed, which seemed unlikely that you would be bitten around 100 plus times on one night but not at all on the other night. It did look from your bites and also sound from your story that you had been bitten on 1 night as though you had fallen asleep at the beach and been bitten by sand flys. mosquitoes, which does happen to people if they have a few too many buckets. I see you mention something about theft also in your comment, so this does now sound to make a little more sense. Boy drinks lots of buckets, boy meets ladyboy and then passes out on the beach and wakes up without wallet/cash/phone and covered in mosquito/sand fly bites....

• Wales, Female, 25-30
4th Jan 2017
5.1

Bedroom was basic but for £4 a night it didn't really matter. The toilets were not cleaned during our whole stay which we cut short from 4 nights to 3 and showers were cold. It didn't help that koh Tao was flooded during our time there which meant we were stuck inside the hostel for hours on end, maybe giving us a negative look on the place but it was great from arrival. Also the wifi doesn't work in the room.

There was the one day that the cleaners couldn't get to the hostel due to flooding between where they lived and the hostel, but other than that the toliets would have been cleaned I guarantee, as we have 2 cleaners and each looks after 1 floor of the hostel. The WiFi does usually work, however again when it flooded a few of the different Internet providers went down I had no internet at home either and no telephone service for a couple of hours one day. The showers should have been hot though, I suspect that someone had tripped the ELB safety feature which does cut the power to the showers and has to be manually reset when tripped. It's a feature on all of the showers here in Thailand but something we don't have in the west as our electrical appliances are earthed by law. I'm sure you'll encounter these again in showers at different places on your trip, very easy to reset once you've done it for the first time, so if you have a cold shower anywhere else then just ask the reception staff and they'll show you how the showers work here.

• Ireland, Male, 25-30
2nd Jan 2017
6.6

Nicely located but atmosphere was not that great. Rooms were ok but smelled of damp clothes.

28th Dec 2016
4.0

This place is terrible. The beds suck the pillows are terrible the blanket they give you went from my toes to my belly button. I had to move beds 3 times in 6 nights due to the front desk not getting me reservation right. Each time I had to make my own bed which I've never had to do at a hostel. The bathrooms always stunk. The WiFi is terrible unless you sit up on the roof. All the common areas are dirty and yet all I saw the staff doing was sleeping and watching movies. Dont stay here

Unfortunately if you book in to stay for one night on the 28th December, but really want to stay longer then there is a fair chance that you may have to move room if you can stay longer at all. This guy made a booking for 1 night on evening of the 27th Dec for the 28th December and was fortunate that we were able to accommodate him for the 6 nights he was able to stay here, after that though we were fully booked and so could not accommodate him further as it does get busy here in early January as people who spend New Year's Eve on Koh Phangan often head over here and pre book!! So claiming that the reception desk didn't get his reservation correct simply isn't true as he only booked 1 night in advance. What an idiot.

26th Dec 2016
2.6

Honestly terrible, I didn't even want to leave a review because it was so bad, I got there the room was filthy and absolutely stunk, the bed wasn't clean, stains all over the sheet and pillow, the bed frame was falling apart and the mattress springs were pultruding through the mattress, so relived it was only for one night, worst hostel I've experienced in Thailand, definitely needs some work doing on it.. I hate to leave such a terrible review and it sounds harsh but I'm just being as honest AP

Hmmm this is very strange as we've just checked the dormitory you were staying in and there aren't stains on the mattresses or any protruding springs (maybe the elves came in and swapped out the mattresses after you left). We can't check on if your room mates smelt or not when you checked in as they have now also checked out. When you say the bed frames were falling to bits, I think what you actually meant was some bit of the paint from them had fallen off. Unfortunately that has happened with a lot of the beds, poor workmanship/finishing is what we put it down to, but we didn't actually make those ourselves we bought them. Sorry you also thought our security, staff, facilities, atmosphere etc were also terrible... apparently. So it must have been a horrendous experience for that 1 night you booked in to stay, fortunately you were only able to be subjected to this for the one night as there was no availability for the next night so count yourselves lucky. :p

24th Dec 2016
5.1

Good location for partying and going to sairee beach. Often we are not alowed to socialice at the hostel after eight, because the landlord own the neigbor hotel. The showers are so dirty i almost puked when i tryed to remove some trash. The bed room has a fungus smell, and the common aria only has some run down sofas, the hammocks are "out of order". When i left it feelt like leaveing prison.

Our landlord did actually come and complain on one night which unfortunately happened to be around 8pm on Christmas Eve. It wasn't just because of the early noise that evening when understandably everyone was in high spirits and getting into the swing of things on the roof and in the indoor common area. However our landlords that own the Silver Sands Resort that is next to and opposite the hostel had just received a complaint from one of their guests about the noise who had apparently been kept awake by customers in the hostel partying in the early hours of the morning 2-5am for the previous 4 nights and so we thought it best to appease our landlords and ask our customers if they would mind venturing out a little earlier to enjoy Christmas Eve which the group of happy revelers did without any fuss before I'd even managed to get from my home to the hostel which is a 5 minute trip at most! Then the next day we just put up a few signs to remind people to be conscious of the fact that other people may be trying to sleep both in and outside of the hostel and to keep the noise down after 11pm.

22nd Dec 2016
7.7

This hostel is in a great location. The beds are a bit uncomfortable and the staff don't really make an effort to make it sociable. Was fairly clean. Would look for somewhere else to stay if i visited Koh Tao again

• gailejuknyte6585
  • Lithuania, Female, 18-24
18th Dec 2016

Good location, very helpful staff.

• Canada, Female, 18-24
22nd Nov 2016

Loved this place! Perfect location, clean bathrooms, awesome staff, great rooftop! Dorm room beds Re pretty s****, but it's a hostel so what can you do!