Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel

Very Good 615 Total Reviews

• England, Couple, 18-24
14th Apr 2017
6.9

Only booked this place because we saw it had a pool, but because of Songkran it was filthy when we arrived so couldn't use it at all. Now they've completely emptied it and a re-tiling it or something. Asked several times when it'd be open to use but we're told 'tomorrow' every day. A bit annoying as it meant having to pay another resort to use their pool. Apart from this, the rooms are clean and big enough, with a small locker to put valuables. Close to Sairee Beach and lots of good restaurants

• Scotland, Female, 25-30
5th Apr 2017

This hostel is pretty basic but I really enjoyed my stay. The staff were brilliant, and really good with us constantly asking them last minute if we could stay another night. Social area was really good and the atmosphere was always really friendly and fun. free tea and coffee in the morning. Swimming pool was great, located right by the bar. Beds were comfortable and lockers/room keys are provided, but the rooms are basic and wifi was quite bad. overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it

• tobygill98
  • England, Male, 18-24
1st Apr 2017

Great hostel, great staff, wifi is great on the roof, stonker of a hostel

• England, Male, 41+
30th Mar 2017

Hello all had a great stay at this very homely friendly hostel. Staff couldn't do enough for me great location just what you need for a short or long stay. Highly recommended for price unbeatable in my opinion happy travelling.

• Australia, Male, 25-30
26th Mar 2017

Only stayed for 1 night, but thought the place was nice, perfectly located, friendly staff, free tea and coffee in the morning and a great chill out area on the roof. Will come again next time I'm on Koh Tao.

• England, Female, 31-40
25th Mar 2017

This place was a great place to stay as it was in the middle of everything in Sairee. It was also close to the beach and the Pub crawl. It was also nice to be able to use the dive centres swimming pool. There were 8 of us in our group so the 8 bed dorm was perfect for us, AC was good in the room it would have been too hot otherwise. Very nice helpful staff too so would definitely recommend this place.

• Scotland, Male, 31-40
23rd Mar 2017

I have stayed at this hostel over 10 times during my many travels in Thailand and it has been a pleasant home away from home on every occasion. The location is second to none and the staff are among the friendliest, accomodating and helpful people I have ever met on my travels. Excellent swimming pool/bar across the road boasting good drinks and a good atmosphere in the evenings. There is also a nice chill out area on the top floor as well as a roof garden. Both are great for socialising.

• England, Male, 18-24
15th Feb 2017
3.7

Staff were rude and unhelpful. Wifi was almost unuseable we had to ask them to reset the router about 5 times. We were told to be quiet after 8pm in common area even though the bar/hostel next door was playing music till around 2am. All in all it was my worst experience in a hostel around the world.

The staff did try to explain to you that the router took a couple of minutes to reboot and so every one of your group coming to the reception alternately every few minutes to ask for it to reset really didn't help to get you online any quicker. We do ask people to be quiet after 11am in the common areas usually, but apparently we had received a complaint from the neighbors about people being exceptionally loud in the common room and bringing non hostel guests in also and so that was why you were asked to tone it down a little. There is no hostel next door to us, the dive school restaurant and pool bar closes at 10/11am and doesn't play excessively loud music, so it sounds like to are taking about maybe Dizza bar which is in a different street altogether and around the corner from where we are located or perhaps somewhere down at the beach, so it seems strange that either would have effected your stay.

14th Feb 2017
6.9

A very basic place to stay. As a female, I was put in a 12 bed dorm with 11 guys who were travelling together. I felt like I was invading their space so I did move hostels. Staff was nice though!

Thanks for the review, however I'd just like to clarify one thing and that's that we only have 4 or 8 bed dorms here and not any 12 bed dorms. I'll have a word with the staff though to get them to try not to put people in with groups of the opposite sex whenever possible as I understand that this may not be the most comfortable of situations, although we have had a couple of guys who've been put in a room of girls and funnily enough they seem quite happy :)

• brandoncave14
  • USA, Male, 18-24
3rd Feb 2017
3.7

I stayed at this hostel while backpacking throughout Thailand, and this happened to be the worst experience I've had in the whole country. I encountered no problems from theft, to cleanliness until I traveled here. The location of the hostel is amazing but the cleanliness and the service level of the staff is TERRIBLE. I got bitten by bed bugs severely and it was only after I showed my bite/scratch marks as well as the actual (dead) bug was when I got someone to listen to me about the facility.

Unfortunately the bug you found crawling on your bag had been thrown away by the time I'd got to the hostel and so I was unable to confirm it wasn't a bed bug, however the reception staff did confirm it was not a bed bug. They also fully inspected the whole of the room and mattresses in the room you were staying in and there were no signs of any bed bugs anywhere and no one else who had been staying in the same room either before, during or after you has reported any problems either. As I said to you when you showed me the bites you had, which there were many (rough estimate over 100) they did not look consistent with bed bugs as they were around the knees and just above your knees and also your lower back which looked as though they were bites around a pair of shorts as opposed to bed bug bites which are usually along veins in a line. These looked a lot more like sand fly or mosquito bites as opposed to bed bugs to me as I have been bitten by all 3 during my traveling days. I did in fact tell you this when you showed me your bites and explain that the bed mattresses are sealed to prevent bed bug infestations and then also covered with an additional anti bed bug hygiene under sheet below the fresh bedding you were given upon check in. I'm not sure what your issue was with the staff although they had told me that you had been asking for a refund for both nights of your stay and becoming aggressive towards them when they called me, even though you'd said you had been bitten only on one of the nights that you stayed, which seemed unlikely that you would be bitten around 100 plus times on one night but not at all on the other night. It did look from your bites and also sound from your story that you had been bitten on 1 night as though you had fallen asleep at the beach and been bitten by sand flys. mosquitoes, which does happen to people if they have a few too many buckets. I see you mention something about theft also in your comment, so this does now sound to make a little more sense. Boy drinks lots of buckets, boy meets ladyboy and then passes out on the beach and wakes up without wallet/cash/phone and covered in mosquito/sand fly bites....