6.7
Good 530 Total Reviews
6.7
Good 530 Total Reviews
Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel Located at Sairee Beach, Sairee, Koh Tao.
Thailand
Koh Tao Surat Thani 84360 Sairee Beach, Sairee
67% 530
10.0991163 99.8295503
    Rooms available

• Bulgaria, Female, 25-30
9th Apr 2016
5.1

Very simple hostel, beds are hard and squeezing. The showers ad bathrooms downstairs weren't as clean as the ones upstairs. The bungalows just next to them are same or even cheaper when you share with a private bathroom.

• England, Male, 18-24
7th Apr 2016
5.1

Probably one of the worst places I've stayed, it's incredibly hot with dirty sheets and awful prison bunks. The wifi is good and there is a good roof terrace but apart from that it's not worth it.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's incredibly hot as all the dorms are AC, do you mean Thailand in April, which is the hottest month of the year by any chance? I'm also a little confused when you say had dirty sheets as every customer is given a freshly washed set of sheets, blanket and towel upon check in which they can exchange when needed at the reception. The bunk beds we use do have metal frames and are fitted with mattress protectors and we also use pillow case protectors mainly to protect against bed bug infestations as this has effected many hostels on Koh Tao, we are fortunate never to have had this problem as we have always had these measures in place. When you say it's not worth it I do wonder how many places on Koh Tao it is that you are comparing us to that you also stayed in. Glad to hear you had good WiFi coverage and enjoyed the roof terrace though :)

• megantomo
  • England, All Female Group, 18-24
27th Mar 2016
7.7

Cleaner was present for almost all the day, so it was spotless! Really good roof chill out area, and a tv lounge with tons of movies (great for the day we were stuck in a thunderstorm!) the location is perfect for all the nightlife and beach.

27th Mar 2016

Perfect location. Good air con. Helped with booking tours. Have access to a pool and bar right next door. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

• England, Female, 18-24
26th Mar 2016
8.0

If you're looking for a place in the middle of sairee beach and cheap, then this is your place! Pros Situated a 3 minute walk from the beach where all the best bars as restaurants are. Friendly staff- the front desk guy was always joking around with us! Secure feel to the place. There was always someone on the front desk. Cons The downstairs loo had no ventilation so was very smelly! Although the upstairs toilet was fine. We absolutely LOVED Koh Tao I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

• Australia, Male, 18-24
25th Mar 2016
8.0

You get what you pay for. It's on an island so all prices are inflated- this place was the best value I found on Koh Tao. Wifi was hit and miss, the blankets were too small and the showers/toilets are quite dingy, cramped and grubby. However, it does the job. I had a decent stay here. Staff were pretty helpful, location is perfect and the movie selection they had was the best I'd ever seen in a hostel. I would book again.One tip- the replies on previous reviews need to be less snarky.

Sorry just cant help myself with some of the comments we get, some of them I think are just bizare. Thanks for your review though.

• England, Female, 25-30
24th Mar 2016
5.7

Good location, right by the bars, restaurants and beach. The room was pretty rubbish, rusty squeaky beds, no personal plug sockets (2 between 8 people), no personal light. Most of the locker doors had been ripped off and we're just laying around, didn't give us much faith in the security. Toilets and showers were alright. Nice lounge and terrace. Wifi terrible, only a few people can connect at a time. You can stay in much nicer hostels for a similar price so don't bother with this one.

• New Zealand, Female, 18-24
24th Mar 2016

My mate and I aren't too sure why this hostel has so many bad ratings. We really enjoyed our stay in an 8- bed dorm. Everyone has to have a key to get in and there are lockers for important things. The staff I spoke to were always pleasant and smiley. The only slightly annoying thing was that we had the dorm directly to the left of the entrance so could hear everyone coming and going but I use earplugs and was fine, my friend didn't even notice. The bathrooms downstairs aren't very nice as well.

• England, Female, 25-30
1st Mar 2016
7.4

Perfect location close to the beach, shops and lots of cafes and restaurants. Hostel was clean although the downstairs bathrooms smell I think this is due to the drains as I saw they were cleaned everyday. Nice communal area on the roof and free films to watch on TV on the second floor. Some staff more helpful than others but all pleasant enough. Overall good value for money on the islands as everything is more expensive.

• rachelfootner
  • England, Female, 18-24
26th Feb 2016
3.1

DO NOT STAY HERE. the staff were nice but thats it. The beds are the worst Ive slept in, toilets stink. The owner of this place is an English guy and he is an absolute monster. My friends driving licence was misplaced by the staff the owner finally turned up and he had the attitude of a 15 y/o girl. Just look at his n to anyone who has written a review on here, speaks for itself. He also said he'd take the money which we didn't even get out of the poor workers wages. They seemed scared of him

Yes there was a mix up and staff made an error and gave her friends drivers license to the wrong customer, to be fair on the staff both licenses were Canadian drivers licenses and the girls pictures did look similar. I straight away contacted the customer who had the wrong license to find out where they were, not only to get the driver license back but also so that I could get their license to them. Before I heard back from them, this customer then called me up to say that they had to leave immediately and so needed $100 plus dollars to replace the license, for some reason it wasn’t even the customer whose license was the problem that called it was this girl. I explained that there was still plenty of time before their ferry was due to leave and I would be coming to see them at the hostel and offered them a free taxi to the pier in plenty of time to catch their ferry. Their response was no they needed the money now and had to leave immediately before I got there as they were catching a flight on the mainland when they got off the ferry and were concerned they may miss it if they didn’t turn up at the pier an hour before the ferry was due to leave. This seemed like a strange reason as I’m pretty sure they don’t change the ferry schedule dependant on what people’s plans are once they get off the ferry at their destination. This did raise my suspicions and so I checked online to see what the replacement cost of a Canadian divers license was and it was actually $28. I even checked with the customer where it was that they would be getting the replacement license to ensure that the amount was correct. So I refused to give them the $100 plus dollars and only offered the $28 dollars, which I did say probably wouldn’t be necessary as the chances were we would be able to get her license returned to her anyway before she left Bangkok a few days later once I heard back from the other customer. Their response was that no how could they possibly trust me to do anything to help and so I must pay now and besides she needed her license to drive home from the airport on her return to Canada as without it she would certainly be pulled over and arrested. Then they said if I didn’t give them the $100 plus dollars they would write really bad reviews everywhere they could so pay up now or else, I told them to go ahead as I don’t go in for these childish blackmail attempts people have threatened the same before and I’m sure will again in the future. Then this customer launched into a full on verbal attack on me because I wouldn’t submit to their blackmail and extortion attempts in front of other hostel customers for maximum effect. It may have worked for them previously and I guess it was probably at the end of their trip and so may have needed some extra cash and so decided to take advantage of the situation that had arisen. At this point I just transferred the $28 to their PayPal account as requested for the actual license replacement cost and then later on that day when I heard back from the customer that was accidentally given the wrong license got their details to send their license on to them but told them not to worry about returning the other license seeing as I had already paid for a replacement one for the customer and she her BFF here had been very rude and been exposed during their scam attempt. This customer who left this vendetta review is one of the most unpleasant people I've ever been unfortunate enough to meet, a proper pikey gobshite with a real attitude problem, so believe it if you like.