Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Sairee Beach, Sairee, Koh Tao, Thailand

No atmosphere. Mold up the walls in corridors needs to treated and showers are rusty. Swimming pool is located further up the road at a bar. All passports left on the reception desk while staff went over the road which is a massive no no. Pillows are plastic.

Mattresses are **. You sink to the middle as they are that old and broken

Pretty standard hostel, nothing special. They advertise the use of a pool belonging to a scuba company. They use the pool for teaching divers, which makes swimming there awkward and they expect you to buy something from the bar before using the pool. Had a decent stay, relatively clean and good air conditioning. They don't encourage a very social atmosphere however and the staff's english is not the greatest.

Yes the swimming pool is owned by the Dave Jones Locker dive school that we are linked to, but you are welcome to use it as advertised, there is no requirement to purchase anything from the bar or restaurant prior to using the pool despite what the cheeky Burmese bar staff may claim. The staff at the hostel have varying degrees of English, the cleaners don't speak English at all, however the daytime staff speak English very well.

Was basic but everything that was needed.

Air conditioning did not work in the room. On leaving they tried to charge me more than double the amount for the nights that I stayed. Was sorted in the end though

• 20th Oct 2015

Unfortunately AC does breakdown all repaired and running fine again now, sorry to hear the staff miscalculated your bill, you'd think it would be easy with a a computer system that does everything for you!!

the beds are really squeezy, and the pillow are plastic, which is really annoying. the location is good but the bathrooms arent really clean. wouldn't go back there. as you can find cheaper with a bigger space just next door!

Plastic pillows? I think they mean pillow protectors that not only prevent pillows from becoming sweat sponges, they also prevent microscopic beastie infestations as well well as insect infestations, so so sorry for thinking of the guests.... horrible hostel owner!!

Beds were uncomfortable and the mattress' had large dips in the centre from years of being slept on. The beds also were very loud and squeaky. Each room only had 4 power plugs between 8 people. The staff were unhelpful. The group that I came with along with the 6 people we met in our room decided after 1 night to leave and go to a new hostel because this was just so bad. Never would recommend it to anyone

Yes the 8 bed dorms do only have a few power points in each room, whereas the 4 bed dorms each have a reading light and power point next to each bed as well as other power points in the room. I'd like to know how the staff were unhelpful as a broad statement like that really doesn't help me to identify the problem you had with them, did they not tighten up your bed when requested to prevent it from squeaking? Constructive criticism is useful please help us to help you.

The room wasn't very clean. I was assigned my bed (which I used all day) only to come back to find my stuff moved and someone else sleeping in my bed. Also be careful with your key. They charge $1000 baht for a list key and won't hold it for you if you go to the beach.

We're sorry to hear that another customer in the dorm you were in moved your belongings to another bed, that's a rude thing to do we agree. Yes we do have a 1,000 baht not $ room key deposit in the hope that it will make people more careful with their keys as we don't like having to replace locks due to too many lost keys either. Strange that you were told we couldn't mind the key for you when you went out as this is something we regularly do for our customers when they go to the beach etc

Great hostel for backpackers to socialize and the combined diving is a good deal, but it could have been a lot cleaner in the bathroom area and the pillows are really horrible (someone even bought a new one). A little bit more security would have been good to, but other than that I loved my stay. Close to pool, beach and main street :)

Rooms were cleaned daily but the showers and stuff were only good on the second floor. Cool rooftop common area and a tv with tons of movies and TV series in the hard drive for when you wanna chill.

Ended up staying here for two weeks.... What more can I say :)

Great location and brilliant atmosphere! Such a social hostel. The staff could be a little rude at times but overall were nice! Lockers are free (take your own padlock though) showers are all communal, sometimes a bit of a wait to get one but good enough. Had a great stay here and met some incredible people!

One of the worst hostels I've stayed at. Beds were like sleeping on rocks, don't think it has ever been cleaned. The toilets smelt so bad and I feel like I came out the showers dirtier than when I went in. One the other hand it was a great location and a friendly atmosphere but there are far better places to stay on Koh Tao for cheaper than here.

As far as I'm aware there is only the fan dorms at Spicy Tao that are cheaper and the mattresses are the same as the gym mats you had at school... Enjoy. On the other note, if you shower in the toilet then the chances are you will come out dirtier than you went in, we recommend using the showers for showering ;).

Good location, but run down facilities and ugly rooms. The toilets are not very well kept either.

• 2nd Sep 2015

Spent three nights there. They clean (sweep) the rooms daily. I stayed in a 4 person mixed dorm. I don't like places that keep your passport, and they kept mine for the three nights I was there. I did end up having the room to myself for two nights and that was nice. Showers and bathrooms are what you would expect from a hostel. Overall a good stay.

• 27th Aug 2015

Fantastic hostel! Booked for 7 nights, extended for an extra 3 as we loved it so much! 5 minute walk from anything you need inc beach! In an 8 bed dorm and facilities were basic but bedding and towels are provided and bathrooms were clean and always empty! Although upstairs ones were nicer. Rooftop terrace which became a gathering spot for everyone at the hostel in the evening to drink on and middle floor with a TV and hundreds of films on demand! Own padlock is needed for the lockers

The staff was super unfriendly compared to other hostels. The room was clean and showers were okay. It is a party hostel but i wouldn't say it is for solo backpackers. Common rooms are okay. There's value and I would recommend if you go with a group of friend. It is next to the party zone!

Don't order taxis from front desk will rip you off. Also they ask for a passport of you when you check in don't forget to get it when you check out as they won't remind you! If you are up for an early morning ferry can easily be forgotten, my friend realised when we were waiting for ferry. Luckily got back in time..

• 18th Aug 2015

The morning shift (pre 6am) was a new member of staff working on trial sorry so he may not have known the best places to recommend getting taxis from and sorry he'd forgotten to give you back your passport on your check out, as I say he was new and on trial. He's no longer working at the hostel now as he was struggling with some of the procedures and understanding some of the customers as he is still learning English.

Great hostel with a great location, 2minutes walking from the beach and it's great party bars at night. Also great deals for diving (discounts) with David jones locker diving club at 50m walking. Staff is very kind and helpful to give you tips and tricks (restqurant, bikes, taxis etc.). Our dormitory was correct and the sanitaries were ok as well. Very nice atmosphere. The pool is nice as well.

great location near the bars. The pool pictured is slightly down the street but can use it. Showers and toilets kind of grimy, Uncomfy beds and quite cramped rooms. Chill out areas to meet people. Lockers in rooms

1 2 Next » last »