Kokua Hostel Reviews

1km North from the Crossroad Malpais, 50m North from Habanero, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica

Cool hostel! Seems like a good place too meet people, even though I was too occupied with my group of friends to get to know new people. But great atmosphere with movies and communal dinners and a cool garden to hang out in. A bit hot in the private double bedroom, as we just had a fan and no A/C. The water pressure in the shower was pretty weak, too. But overall a great place with some really cool, hippie-esque decorations!

Kokua hostel is awesome! Great vibes, great people

• 19th Mar 2015

I stayed at Kokua for 5nights prolonging for 2 nights more than I initally thought. The owner Max was more than accommodating and helped me organize a surf class right for the next day. Also when I had ended up in a bad room the first night it was no problem at all changing for the remaining nights. Loved the vibe and the rest of the staff too. Great little oasis for surfing and meeting a nice crowd.

The location of the hostel is very good, just a few minutes to the beach but away from the main road, so there is no noise from the street. The staff and the people are very welcoming and made me feel very good and like joining a family. There is a wonderful garden with hammocks, wifi is working great and a well staffed outdoor kitchen. A beautiful place! And free filtered water. But there are no lockers, what is the big disadvantage and it is a very tight place.

Clean, close to places to eat, and 5 mins in a taxi to the airport. Perfect for transit stay. Gracias!

I didn't mind my stay at Kokua, didn't find it very good value for money though. The dorm rooms were tiny and my mattress was so thin I could feel the wooden planks beneath me. The place could also do with a bit of extra cleaning, especially in the bathrooms. The common area in the back was a nice place to socialize though and it is only a short walk away from the beach.

A wonderful hostel to stay at ... Great vibes and atmosphere .

• 8th Jan 2015

Kokua was a great place to stay, met a lot of great people there, including the staff. The open-air kitchen and dining area was a great place to hang out, lots of socializing and cooking going on. The outdoor shower is perfect when returning from the beach or just cooling off when it's really hot.

• 6th Jan 2015

We really loved the friendly atmosphere in the hostel and the arty house with open kitchen and the garden is amazing to chill out. The rooms (dorms) are a bit tiny and the beds not too comfy. Best not to pay extra for AC since it is very noisy. The location is great, a few hundred meters of the beach and nearby most of the shops and restaurants while it is located off the main road and hence a very quiet spot. We enjoyed the all you can eat pizza night as a closure of our stay at Kokua.

Very small 4bedroom, if you put 4 bags/backpacks in it, you can't almost walk anymore. You cant close the door, so don't be surprised if the dogs come in at night and sleep there as well... Very friendly staff, nice garden, close to a supermarket and the beach!

View all Santa Teresa Hostels