Kyoya Ryokan Reviews

2-11-4, Habashita, Nishi-ku, Nagoya, Japan

A very unique experience of traditional Japanese hotel (ryokan), only for a very affordable price! Japanese-style room (shared with others): spacious, beautiful. Yukata provided (free for use during stay), Japanese garden, Japanese style bathroom. Nice and helpful staff, limited command of English but enough for basic communication. Very good for lone traveller to experience Japanese culture at the price of only 3880 yen. Only shortcoming: far away from JR Station: 25-min walk (or by bus)

It's possible to walk to several attractions from here. The staff are really nice and polite when you have anything to ask, but otherwise they just leave you alone. The Japanese feel was really there and we thoroughly enjoyed the bath and the garden (where we took plenty of photos in the provided yukatas). The rooms are clean and the futons are impossibly soft. It's peaceful too: even though we visited around the New Year's period, the place was quiet and only had a few guests.

I stayed in the 6 bed dorm, which was partitioned into 4-2 the night I stayed. The room was big and clean, and the futon comfortable and warm to sleep in. 2 hangers and a low table were provided per bed. Lockers were available outside the room to store valuables, as the ryokan is not locked. The neighbourhood was quiet and felt safe at night though. The owner Hiro-san gave a good overview of the facilities in English. Free lockers were also available for multi-day use.

• 5th Jan 2015
  • Singapore

The public bath is just lovely! Cozy and relaxing! The hostel is well organized. It provides all necessities you needed like towel, toothbrush and so on.

Awesome ryokan experience for travellers on a budget. Only stayed one night stopping over in Nagoya but it was a very cool place to stay.

The actual room didnt have a lock so u had to put everything in a locker which was ok but annoying. I stayed here for the real japanese experience which is what i got, the onsen was amazing, i would stay here again just for that. the kitchen facilities were terrible, only a microwave and hot water. No real social area to relax in. staff friendly but didnt speck much english. Not really a travellers hostel more for families.

I'm glad that my first stop in Japan was Kyoya Ryokan. The place is clean and the people are ever polite and helpful. In-house onsen is really a treat, especially during cold weather. I stayed in a 4 pax mixed dorm and it was quite awkward as there is no partition for privacy and all my roommates were females. Overall, my 3-night stay was a really pleasant one and I would definitely return if I'm visiting Nagoya again!

Kyoya is the first Japanese style dorm room i even try , there are 6 futon on floor in an open area so u will see and sleep together with other people, but the place i like is because is quiet and osen provided with an beautiful Japanese garden in very good price , in Nagoya the dorm is not much and hotel price is bit expensive for solo traveler and this is a best place to rest and hang out with other people, i am glad i meet one HK girls together so both of us is really enjoy to stay there.

Everything is almost perfect. And the quality of my stay is very enjoyable as well. I especially appreciate the cleanliness and neatness of the hostel. The only reason that I put 'good' instead of 'excellent' on Security and Location part are because there is no lock to the hostel and at night everyone (including people could be entering the hostel and simply slide the door open. But it is a traditional ryokan and so I totally understand that. I would like to thank Hiro-san for the awesome stay.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Hong Kong

i love to stay here....

• 24th Oct 2014
  • Indonesia

This was one of three hostels that I stayed in while visiting nagoya and it was the best. Traditional Japanese bed, the owner provided a towel, tooth brush, night gown. The shower area was super clean and the garden was spectacular.

• 19th Oct 2014

Very stylish spot in central Nagoya. Immaculately clean, well-run and very Japanese in its feel. Has a lovely garden which is a nice spot in which to relax; however I kept hitting my head painfully on the pergola (I am 6'4").

its more than a hostel.. amazing experience with jap culture and their traditional house!! clean room and nice location plus really good foods around!!!

Very good place to stay, recommend it! Beautiful garden they have

Very friendly staff with good English, simple yet well-kept interior, great onsen and beautiful Japanese garden to relax in. The dorm room is traditional, yet quite large, giving it a bit the atmosphere of a Japanese castle chamber - downside being that paper walls aren't really sound proof. The breakfast was great!

A nice affordable Ryokan. The small Onsen is so beautiful and the owner is extremly nice, although he doesn't speak that much english.

It's not as far from stations as i expected. Just take the metro to maru no uchi station . And many good food around the station too.