Kyoya Ryokan Reviews

2-11-4, Habashita, Nishi-ku, Nagoya, Japan

The ryokan was absolutely wonderful and not far from the castle which had cherry blossoms in full bloom, the bunk bed was really comfortable too and the public bath was very comfortable, loved it!

We loved everything about this hostel. It's an easy 15-minute walk to Nagoya station and Nagoya castle, plus they have bikes that you can use for free to take you to other attractions like the Nagoya tower. Restaurants are also within walking distance. But what we loved most was staff service and its onsen! Absolutely the best! Recommended to everyone staying in Nagoya.

Friendly staff, extremely clean (which is common in Japan...), great location, free bikes. Great ryokan.

I stayed in a futon dorm which was comfy. The room doesn't lock but they supply you with a large locker. The shower area and is spacious and clean and the bath large enough for a few people. I think you can reserve the bath if you want but I found no need to. The garden is lovely and provides a set up camera for photos. They even had a few parasols for props. Breakfast was nice, and large. Selection of many different things. It was my first Japanese breaky so some of it was new but fun to try.

• 24th Mar 2015

This is one of my best stays in Japan. I highly recommend any foreign traveler to come to this hostel. They will give you the traditional ryokan experiences for very little price. The garden and also onsen style bath in the back of the courtyard gives it a great atmosphere. 10/10!

Lovely traditional Japanese style. Only downside is if you stay in the dorm no access to private showers, shared public bath only! Very comfy beds and helpful staff. Good location.

If you want a quiet place to stay and experience the Japanese style of living, it is a perfect place.

Incredible ryokan in Nagoya. location is a little off the beaten path, but totally worth it

I loved my stay here! I wish I could have stayed longer! Beautiful garden, very friendly host, comfy beds, and a wonderful bath. I also tried the breakfast and I highly recommend it. Overall my stay here was one of my favorite stops on my month long trip!

I stayed here overnight for my time in Nagoya. I think I had a little more of a skewed experience as I was the only guest that night, making things as a solo female traveler a little scary. The beds on the tatami mats were very clean and so comfortable! The place is kept very clean as well! It was just a little eerie to be there alone with the music playing on repeat.

A very unique experience of traditional Japanese hotel (ryokan), only for a very affordable price! Japanese-style room (shared with others): spacious, beautiful. Yukata provided (free for use during stay), Japanese garden, Japanese style bathroom. Nice and helpful staff, limited command of English but enough for basic communication. Very good for lone traveller to experience Japanese culture at the price of only 3880 yen. Only shortcoming: far away from JR Station: 25-min walk (or by bus)

It's possible to walk to several attractions from here. The staff are really nice and polite when you have anything to ask, but otherwise they just leave you alone. The Japanese feel was really there and we thoroughly enjoyed the bath and the garden (where we took plenty of photos in the provided yukatas). The rooms are clean and the futons are impossibly soft. It's peaceful too: even though we visited around the New Year's period, the place was quiet and only had a few guests.

I stayed in the 6 bed dorm, which was partitioned into 4-2 the night I stayed. The room was big and clean, and the futon comfortable and warm to sleep in. 2 hangers and a low table were provided per bed. Lockers were available outside the room to store valuables, as the ryokan is not locked. The neighbourhood was quiet and felt safe at night though. The owner Hiro-san gave a good overview of the facilities in English. Free lockers were also available for multi-day use.

• 5th Jan 2015
  • Singapore

The public bath is just lovely! Cozy and relaxing! The hostel is well organized. It provides all necessities you needed like towel, toothbrush and so on.

Awesome ryokan experience for travellers on a budget. Only stayed one night stopping over in Nagoya but it was a very cool place to stay.

The actual room didnt have a lock so u had to put everything in a locker which was ok but annoying. I stayed here for the real japanese experience which is what i got, the onsen was amazing, i would stay here again just for that. the kitchen facilities were terrible, only a microwave and hot water. No real social area to relax in. staff friendly but didnt speck much english. Not really a travellers hostel more for families.

I'm glad that my first stop in Japan was Kyoya Ryokan. The place is clean and the people are ever polite and helpful. In-house onsen is really a treat, especially during cold weather. I stayed in a 4 pax mixed dorm and it was quite awkward as there is no partition for privacy and all my roommates were females. Overall, my 3-night stay was a really pleasant one and I would definitely return if I'm visiting Nagoya again!

Kyoya is the first Japanese style dorm room i even try , there are 6 futon on floor in an open area so u will see and sleep together with other people, but the place i like is because is quiet and osen provided with an beautiful Japanese garden in very good price , in Nagoya the dorm is not much and hotel price is bit expensive for solo traveler and this is a best place to rest and hang out with other people, i am glad i meet one HK girls together so both of us is really enjoy to stay there.

Everything is almost perfect. And the quality of my stay is very enjoyable as well. I especially appreciate the cleanliness and neatness of the hostel. The only reason that I put 'good' instead of 'excellent' on Security and Location part are because there is no lock to the hostel and at night everyone (including people could be entering the hostel and simply slide the door open. But it is a traditional ryokan and so I totally understand that. I would like to thank Hiro-san for the awesome stay.

• 29th Oct 2014