La Casa Roja Reviews

Agustinas 2113, Barrio Brazil, Santiago, Chile

WARNING: While I was there, this hostel had to ask everyone to leave because there was a legal action taken against the landlord. That was around January 11, 2015. I don´t know what the status is of the hostel right now, but I would warn against making reservations there until you know for sure that the hostel is not closed.

Loved this place, great value for money

Great place to stay!

• 7th Jan 2015

This was my second stay at this hostel (4 months apart,both over a week), had a blast first time round and was overall impressed . However in four months the standards have dropped tremendously. It's still a very fun place, but staff are generally poor(cleankng and cooking staff are just outright rude), the hostel is generally filthy and the whole thing is staritng to feel terribly neglected. Better value for money to be found elsewhere.

It's a very big hostel. I think the stuff are just working at the reception and there they do a good job. Just there. The rest was dirty. The kitchen rubbish was full and overflow. At 9am was broken beer glass in the bathroom from day before. 2 days was a unpack condom in our room. 5 Bikes for rent, but they had just one locker.

This is a beautiful hostel, it's a large mansion with incredibly high ceilings and beautiful open-air courtyards, which also means that it's loud. It is definitely a party hostel. There was not a moment of silence in the 3 nights that I slept here. Many guests were very inconsiderate of those trying to sleep. The pool was also awesome, but I would not stay here again. Too loud and too much partying for me. They were still up at 5 am, when I was getting up for the day, making noise.

Everything was great, staff were awesome. The pool and outdoor area is so beautiful, the only problem is you'll never want to leave!

Terrible location unless you are just looking for a place to sleep between flights or buses. Not much going on in this neighborhood, but reasonably close to buses etc. Nice back yard with pool, but the place was overrun with families and young kids(not guests) - taking up every space outside AND the entire kitchen. I did not feel welcome, I did not feel entitled to use the space. It was a very unexpectedly bad experience. its a big operation and staff were not on top of things.

• 20th Dec 2014

This hostel was interesting as it has everything that should make it amazing! An awesome pool area, old fashioned building features, big rooms, hot showers. However we had issues with the staff. When we checked in we were given the wrong room, then we were woken up at 2am (!) by another member of staff trying to get us to move rooms as someone else had booked the one we were in! The same guy also didn't give us back our passports after check in. It was a shame as it let a good place down a bit

Huge early 20th C colonial house. The 2 bars, pool and several communal areas give it 'party hostel' potential but as always it depends who's around. The staff were ok but were more helpful when they smoked less! The private room was airy and the bed comfortable. Replacing / repairing / covering the floorboards in the upstairs corridor would help a lot of ppl sleep easier. But would highly recommend anyway.

Great facilities, clean, staff could be more helpful. There's also so many of them that it kind of feels like you're crashing their private party.

On the upside, the Casa Roja is in a beautiful building, and is well located - about a fifteen minute walk from the centre of Santiago. It has a great bar and a pool, good communal areas and a tasty nice breakfast. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Downside, it is NOISY. OK, it bills itself as a party hostel, but I could hear the couple in the next room screwing, plus the floorboards creak loudly anytime anyone gets up for a pee in the night. That's just bad soundproofing. Bring earplugs

• 30th Nov 2014

Only stayed for one night for a flight the next day, but wish I had more time. Excellent vibe outside with a party going on that night, easy to meet people with a pool outside. Pretty big hostel as well, and kitchen facilities are like nothing I have seen in any other hostel. If I am back in Santiago for a longer time, will definitely stay at this hostel compared to others I had stayed in before.

I wanted somewhere inexpensive & fun to stay at. La Casa Roja was a great choice. The aging elegance is Chile but the facilities are good. Provided you have the social skills to strike up a conversation you will meet many interesting people from all over the world. My Spanish is minimal but most of the staff & guests have good English. I have travelled extensively over the years. La Casa Roja will be a repeat visit next time I'm in Santiago.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Massive private double room with good shower. Free coffee each for booking with hostel world. Helpful staff for giving info about getting round city to bus station.

Travel and Living, defenetly a good slogan for this huge colonial house in Santiago de Chile. I had being 5 months on my adventure, and i can say that this hostel have everything a travellers need, pick up service in the airport with a cool driver, nice and lovely staff at reception, most of them foreigners, big rooms with comfy beds, and the best the big garden with pool and bar in the pool. Perfect conditions for meeting people, party, sometimes a bit noisy,

Needs some maintenance asap has so much potential but everything seems to be falling apart

Big hostel with a nice garden, really pleasant to chill. Dorms are spacious, with lockers and plugs. A good place to stay!

paid for 4 bed tried to put us in 8. Staff were rude when trying to resolve. Staff not v helpful but otherwise fine.

Hostel is okay, the dorms and bathrooms are average, but the pool area is really cool! The staff here aren't very nice or helpful though.

enjoy the pool enjoy the house enjoy the staff! you can always ask at reception for help !main task here is heping our guests!