La Casa del Tio Rafa Reviews

Calle 65 #589 x 72y74 Centro, Merida, Mexico

El tío Rafa is very helpful with directions and has some great stories. The place is small and sort off funky in a cute way.... The little pool is awesome on a hot night!

The hostel is great for one night between buses due to its location near the ADO bus stations and its cost but the hostel is in need of major upkeep to improve its ambiance. Also, the curtain on the women's bathroom is somewhat sheer so at night with the light on inside, anyone in the garden can see in.

I was happy with the night I stayed there because I didn't really need much. However I needed micro-oven or stove for my dinner but the hostel didn't have them. That is why I gave average for facilities. Anyway mr Rafa found a solution for that so it wasn't finally any problem. Also the fan wasn't very helpful in the dorm. Location itself was good, as the bus station and city center were so close, but the noisy street with cars passing by the whole night made sleeping difficult.

Amazing hostel! The staff is incredible, Rafa is such a nice person and Jelly the same, both ready to help. Ask them for hints!! They can make you feel home, really good mood. About the hostel itself, looks like a beautiful small house and everything was good, clean, also perfect location. Safe, the door is always closed and when you arrive or want to leave whenever you want they open for you. Rafa makes you breakfast all day. All that for these cheap prices. One of the best hostels I've stayed.

Only stayed one night, but Rafa is always there at the hostel to open the door so irs very safe. Also I cooked myself some meal and the kitchen was very complete. Only thing is I had to shower in cold water, but it was warm enough out not to bother me. People there were cool, have nothing bad to say

this is my best experience in Mexico. Tio Rafa is the best host I've ever seen.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • China

The hostel itself was a bit hard to find, but the location was fairly convenient (only 15 mins walk from ADO bus station), and the photo they offered was very helpful. The owner is quite friendly and professional, and was able to provide maps and recommendations when asked. The place itself is beautiful, and the hot water in the showers is a great bonus! Not a high-class location, but very satisfactory for low-budget travellers who want to be near the city centre.

Rafa is a nice guy. He makes breakfast for everybody in the morning. The dorm is basic with a fan. Not very hot at night but watch out for misquotes. Two bathrooms available. Shower not very good. I couldnt got hot water for two nights But since its hot its ok to take cold shower. My bus wont leave until 23:30, so I paid another 50peso for late check out which I think is fair. You need to pay for drimking water as well.

I wont recommend you to go there, the owner is pretty rude. Hostal is very small and not really comfy.

si si eres como este tipo de persona no vengas a los hostales rentate un hotel de lujo o no salgas de tu casa mis avitaciones son de 6 personas para tu descanso tengo reglas como todos los negocios y si es rudo para ti te repito no salgas de tu casa y no te hospedes en hostales deja que la jente sea feliz y decida donde hospedarse no contamines nuestro trabajo gracias ala jente que real mente valora nuestro trabajo en un hostel ,muchas graciasy sean biembenidos el tio rafa

Unwelcoming hostal with very bad staff. The rooms are not that good, it is very small. The owner was really strict, picky and rude. Breakfast was good though. Only cold water in the bathroom. You have to pay for any facilities after you leave at 12.00am, even for the toilets. We did not have a good experience in this hostal.

Hey hey hey let´s make one thing clear here: This group of so called "travellers" came to our hostal after having cancelled their reservation earlier! They just got here and demanded a room regardless! We were so nice not to send them away, even moved our staff to sleep in the living room to accomodate them! Instead of being respectful for the sacrificies we made, they left the rooms very dirty! They knew that checkout is at 12 am and there are signs saying you have to pay for loitering around

Rafa made me feel at home from the second i walked in the door. His place has a beautiful open garden in the back with a swimming pool for them hot days. Another thing is that Rafa will tell you anything you need to know about Yucatan and then some. For a traveler on a budget i couldn't have landed a better spot.

• 30th Nov 2014

we stayed for a couple of nights in a private room with bathroom, had no worries and enjoyed our stay