La Casa del Tio Rafa Reviews

Calle 65 #589 x 72y74 Centro, Merida, Mexico

Rafa is a nice guy. He makes breakfast for everybody in the morning. The dorm is basic with a fan. Not very hot at night but watch out for misquotes. Two bathrooms available. Shower not very good. I couldnt got hot water for two nights But since its hot its ok to take cold shower. My bus wont leave until 23:30, so I paid another 50peso for late check out which I think is fair. You need to pay for drimking water as well.

I wont recommend you to go there, the owner is pretty rude. Hostal is very small and not really comfy.

Unwelcoming hostal with very bad staff. The rooms are not that good, it is very small. The owner was really strict, picky and rude. Breakfast was good though. Only cold water in the bathroom. You have to pay for any facilities after you leave at 12.00am, even for the toilets. We did not have a good experience in this hostal.

Rafa made me feel at home from the second i walked in the door. His place has a beautiful open garden in the back with a swimming pool for them hot days. Another thing is that Rafa will tell you anything you need to know about Yucatan and then some. For a traveler on a budget i couldn't have landed a better spot.

• 30th Nov 2014

The room had window slats that don't close properly - it's impossible to sleep with huge amounts of noisy traffic outside and the fan sounds like a jet engine. One combined toilet and shower for women is not enough- lots of waiting. No hot water, and a sliver of old soap- no hand towels or bath mats. Teenage boy level of cleanliness. Rafa is really friendly but I left after the first night as the room was so noisy and no hot water and he charged me for all three which I thought was pretty shit.

Dear guest, we are very sorry you didn´t enjoy our stay here in our hostel. However, we offered you to change to a room that is not noisy AND there is hot water AND a reservation is a reservation in the end. Happy and see travels, El Tio Rafa

Location is perfect if you arrive / leave by ADO Bus. It's just a 10 minute walk. We stayed in the private room and it was okay. Could be cleaner, Toilets are in Room and only covered by a small wall that is open to the top. Just some small "garden windows" without a mosquito net. Breakfast is basic but good. Coffee, Eggs, fresh fruits and some bread. Hot water was hot. All in all the place could need some renovations & a serious cleanup. The Owner Rafa is a funny guy and atmosphere was great.

The Staff and Owner were very helpful and quite good with Travelers like myself. I have stayed on beyond my original booking because of the Help and Support. This could also be because the variety of Eating Places that are close is also quite good! -Thomas Clark

• 6th Nov 2014

Ten minutes walk from ADO bus station. Breakfast was nice, eggs and watermelon. Six bed, no windows, very hot. Bathroom okay. TV/ DVD sofa area. Friendly helpful staff, quirky, well decorated interior. Outdoor area with questionable small pool. Entrance always locked, good security. Kitchen good.