La Choza Inn Hostel Reviews

300 mts west from the post office in La Fortuna, 200 mts south and 300 mts west from La Fortuna Bus, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Unfriendly staff and smelly sheets. Cloaks did not work properly. Stay away if possible, mat be cheap but not even worth the money.

• 4th Feb 2015
  • Sweden

The breakfast was fresh and delicious. Located really close to the bus stop and walking distance to many shops and restaurants. Since a tour operates out of the reception, it felt that the recommendations tended to be a bit biased. None the less he helped to identify activities that suited our budget instead of pushing for more expensive alternatives. The waterfall is about an hour and a half walk and portions are uphill with a lot of stairs, it cost $11 us when we were there.

Nice and clean

• 23rd Jan 2015

This hostel was one of my favourites. They had a free breakfast with eggs, fruit, toast and coffee and overall an amazing atmosphere at the hostel. I would definitely go back!

The location and the breakfast was perfect. But, one of the employee was not very friendly to us. He was trying to sell us some tours even if we didn't want to. Also, he was trying to tell us we only reserved for 3 days even though we had paid for 4. The dorm we stayed in was smelling very bad. Even though the price was cheap, I don't recommend this hostel.

My private room was spacious and clean. It had a fan which I used, but I think I could have opted for AC. Internet available in my room - a little unreliable but fine over all. Nice place, decent breakfast. Location was fine, La fortuna is relatively small so everywhere is close. it was up a short dark road, but i didn't feel unsafe walking on it (I was a single female traveller)

While we enjoyed the location of the hostel and the general experience, we would not stay here again. We were in a room with a private bathroom, and the bathroom had a sewage smell that was so strong that I felt nauseous. When trying to dry the clothes in our room, they all retained the sewage smell. This meant that for the remainder of our trip, we could no longer wear anything worn/dried in the room since they smelt atrocious. Upon arriving home, we needed to wash those clothes 3 times.

The stay was ok. The location is good but the thing we didn't like at La Fortuna at all is that everyone tries to get your money. There is no public bus going to the volcano or any interesting spots. You always need to book a guided tour or take a taxi for 2$/kilometer!! The staff was nice but they offered us the boat-jeep-boat tour to Monteverde for 30$ instead of 25$ ( last year the price was 12$ by the way!). When we figured this out we discussed with the guy at the reception and gave us 5$.

It is a cheap place to stay and it is comfortable and clean enough and the beds are fine, with soft linen. There were a few downfalls, eg trip advisor says there's a pool.... There isn't!! Also there was a man in our female only dorm and also the staff gave incorrect information, regarding taxi fares and entry prices, even though we asked him in Spanish. But the breakfast is nice and the housekeepers work hard to keep it clean.

• 29th Nov 2014

Rooms are clean and spacious with wifi, ac and tv. Our room had a balcony which was nice. The staff didn't speak well English except for 1 guy but he's never around. Also up a dark road at night. The bathroom had a foggy glass window that led to hallway and you could see my outline while I showered if I had the light on because I am tall. I left the light off. Average experience.