La Posada Chetumal Hostel Reviews

Ave. Venustiano Carranza No. 481. Col. Flamboyanes, Chetumal, Mexico

the staff was excellent and Olga was a wealth of local knowledge

Chetumal is not the fanciest place to be - nonetheless, my stay at La Posada made it unfogettable. The atmosphere there is very warm, welcoming and familiar. The people I met there were all unusually nice and generous - not the usual kinds of people you meet when traveling. The beds were comfortable and the hostel was very clean. There is, however, no warm water.

You get what you pay for here. One toilet and shower for everyone. No toilet seat!? No toilet paper. No sheets on the bed. No sign of the owners in the morning to let in a new guest or make the breakfast which was supposed to be included. Budget or not, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• 22nd Jan 2016

good place

I can't give a proper review as when we turned up there was a double booking. It was late when we arrived and the owner drove us around to find somewhere else and also paid the difference which was nice. Still it's not great after travelling all day to arrive and be told your confirmed place isn't secure.

It was disappointing that we booked a 3 bed private dorm with ensuite and when we arrived the hostel had over accommodated so our only option was in a shared room sharing one pretty gross bathroom. I would have liked to be given a key to the room or have the option of a locker, security was a big worry for us.

Very dirty. Place looked like it had not been properly cleaned in months. One toilet for 20 or so beds. Breakfast consisted of frozen french fries fried with onion and pepper and instant coffee. It's on a noisy and busy road far from anything.

Our reserved beds were given away because we arrived after midnight. I was initially mad, but understand why it happened. I should have called to inform them prior. Despite sleeping on the gated patio of the hostel, I have to give it up to the owner. She didn't charge us, fed us, and allowed us to shower (no hot water). She also called the ferry company for us and was helpful finding a taxi. The cook was sooo nice, too.. The only bad thing was just 1 bathroom and maybe 20 people staying there.

Had only one night in Chetumal, arrived late and left early, so cannot really comment much on the atmosphere even though it felt just fine, the place itself was very cozy, welcoming and clean. The only complaint I might have is not enough bathrooms, but maybe it's because I did not have time to familiarize myself with the entire place. For one night though it was perfect; location is good to, supermarket is just around the corner, and so is a delicious taquería.

A nice hostel, run by very kind and welcoming staff. You'll feel right at home. Close to the city center and a big supermarket around the corner. I realy liked my stay at la posada hostel.

Great place for a night on your way to Belize or Guatemala. Super friendly owner, great facilities and 30 seconds from a giant supermarket.

Good place to stay the night when transiting to Belize. Good help with information on bus service to Flores Guatemala. The American gentleman is very nice and makes a nice breakfast.

Host was lovely and helpful. However that was a good as it gets. The private room we got was the hottest room i have ever stayed in. Wall to wall concrete, no windows, nylon sheets and mass mosquitoes made it hard to sleep. We couldn't open the door to let air in for security reasons but mostly to avoid more mosquitoes/insects coming in. I woke up covered in bites. Bathroom was unclean, bad plumbing, full of insects. no good

The owner is lovely and helped us out with getting to Flores, Guatemala. She was so nice I had to hug her goodbye! The hostel is above the owners home, but you still feel like a welcome guest. The location is not perfect but it cost us 20 pesos to get anywhere we needed to go which was great for us. Nice balcony to sit and relax on and we had an air conditioned room with ensuite. Breakfast was awesome and good wifi too.