La Posada Chetumal Hostel Reviews

Ave. Venustiano Carranza No. 481. Col. Flamboyanes, Chetumal, Mexico

Empty Hostel. No atmosphere. Paid for expensive private room when could have dorm to ourselves. IT WAS SO HOT, there was an air conditioning unit in the room but when we asked for the remote to turn it on we were told WE HAD TO PAY EXTRA!! Shower just dribbled out COLD water, apparently there was no gas so they offered us a BUCKET OF WARM WATER! I could feel the springs in my back from my matress. Breakfast was ok and the family had some cute kids! That's the only postives i can find, sorry.

The place is clean and large but it is also relatively far from the center of town. I think I was the only person there so I had time to talk to the staff: helpful to a certain extent... He helped me get to the bus to Belize with no setbacks and had good info on the city. I'd recommend it as a place to stay for a night but the ambiance is not as high as other places.

The hostel is far from the ADO-busterminal, as well as from the town-center and buses to Belize (+25min on foot, Taxi M$50.-). Rooms are reasonably clean. Beds too. One bathroom for +10 people is not enough, though. It's clean and only the shower smells a bit. But not as bad as other people experienced. Wifi works and is stable. The Staff (the boy) was helping us, but the information turned out to be wrong. Might have been due to the holiday. Overall acceptable for one night, but not more.

Great place we will return! Close to the ruins, very beautiful!

• 20th Mar 2015

The owner of the hostel is very friendly and accommodating. She has great advice for how to get around and how best to continue your journey into Belize as chetumal is one of the main border crossings. The facilities are basic but sufficient and good value.

I very much enjoyed my stay here before I took te water taxi over to Caye Caulker. Nice outside patio overlooking a less busy street and the rooms are clean. The best part of the stay was the manager and how helpful/friendly she is. She also cooks you a nice breakfast and offers good coffee. I definitely reccomebd this place if you are staying overnight in chetumal for the water taxi.

• 18th Jan 2015

If you go to Chetumal, go to La Posada Chetumal Hostel. It's like staying with a local family, the "hostel mum" is so nice and will make you breakfast in the morning and care for you so much. I really enjoyed my stay there. The location is a bit far from the city center but taxis are not expensive and there is a bus station around the corner. The supermarket and an ATM are only 3 minutes walking away.

Excellent and lovely people running this hostel. Great. Taxi driver had a few issues locating it however.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

The owner was great and very helpful. Told us what to expect for taxi fare and helped worth reservations for onward travel. Breakfast was fresh made and served. One bathroom is shared for all of the dorms; one person is showering, so 10 people are waiting for the single toilet, and it had a bad smell. The hostel padlocks from the inside, so you need to be let in and out. 6 bed dorm had no ventilation and the small ceiling fans so it was very hot.

The staff didn't seem that invested in trying to make the stay of the people as nice as possible. A lot more could have had been done. You did not get keys for the room unless you asked for them and then had to pay an extra deposit for it. The bathroom smelled INCREDIBLY BAD. Never have I ever been in such a disgusting bathroom. It was way too expensive for the service and facilities provided.

Chetumal is not a very exciting place to be, however this hostel offers everything you need to stay for a couple of nights. Feels safe and clean. Dont expect party's but rather a nice quite place. The owner is very nice and does her utmost best to make you feel at home!

We stopped here on the way to Flores, Guatemala. The lady who runs it is very lovely and hospitable

Very friendly staff, the dorms and bathrooms are clean. I only stayed one night and had to leave early in the morning so the boss lady made me a lunchbox with fruits and a sandwich which was a very nice thing.

Chetumal is a passing by city, not often the final destination. For this reason the hostel is full of people, easy to meet other travellers. The place is a bit expensive for what it offers. Dirty bedroom, bathroom stinks so much, staff not sympathetic at all at all, far from the bus station and port. Awesome mexican heavy breakfast.

is a lovely family house where husband and wife helps you out with all you need! good for spend 1/2 nights, only 2 bathroom is the only little problem. Oscar, the guy work for them is really mexican and also him ready to bring you in the best locals of night-life

Chetumal seems to be a way station for Belize or Bacalar. So, no need to stay long which is just as well since the breakfasts are # 5 on a list of five hostels I visited this trip. There is one smelly bathroom for a floor that could conceivably hold 18 travelers. The owners were lovely but were short on answering any of my questions. La Posada is a great inexpensive stop over onto better adventures.

• 21st Dec 2014

comfortable beds,helpful staff,comfortable beds

La Posada is a fine hostel and I recommend it as a great backpacker stay in Chetumal. My only concern is that the English website claims that the private rooms have a private bath bathroom (ensuite). None of the rooms have a private bathroom, all use shared bathrooms. Otherwise, the owner and staff are friendly and helpful and I enjoyed my stay.

• 15th Dec 2014

The Owner and/or Manager is an absolutely lovely person, and very accommodating. It's worth it.

• 8th Dec 2014