La Sienna Reviews

241 West 123rd Street, New York, USA

A wonderful place, run by a wonderful lady. We felt more like house guests than customers. Yvette showed us tons of great places to check out around the city, too. Our room was comfy, street noise wasn't too bad, and the location is great (good neighborhood, very close shops and food options, a fantastic tea shop around the corner, and nearby subway station). Good price, too. We absolutely plan on staying here again when we come back to NYC.

• 7th Jan 2016

Great location close to subway. Clean, comfortable and excellent staff.

I had a very nice stay here. Good value for money.

• 22nd Oct 2015

We loved the hostel and its very convenient location near the 125th street subway. Yvette was helpful in s non-intrusive way.

• 6th Oct 2015
  • South Africa

We had a lovely stay at la sienna from1st to 6th october. We stayed on the second floor and,it was generally all kept very clean.Additional bedding was given on request as one blanket and a sheet were not warm enough. Excellent free selection of herbal teas and filter coffee.Use of kitchen helpful for preparing snacks etc.Overall very good.

• 1st Oct 2015

We've been there for 3 weeks and it was lovely, always clean and domestic atmosphere! We will definitely come back.

• 28th Sep 2015
  • Poland

The hostel is very hospitable. Very welcoming. The rooms are very comfortable and the decor gives a homey feeling. The landlord was fantastic and more then fair with giving a significant discount only because i was a single in a double room. Overalls, although the slight uncomfortable feeling of staying in the begining of Harlem,most recommended accommodation!

• 27th Sep 2015
  • Israel

Had a truly wonderful time at La Sienna, Yvette was a perfect hostess and I felt right at home from the moment I checked in. La Sienna has more of a homestay or B&B feel than a hotel. It is situated in a quiet, safe area of Harlem with the subway just a short walk away. Great value for money. When I come back to NY, I would definitely stay here again

All in all we had a nice stay at the La Sienna. There were just minor things that could have been even better. The Wifi on the top floor was coming and going. Some times it worked other times it didn't. The TV was mounted to the wall with a very bad angle. You couldn't really watch it while laying down on the bed or sitting on the chairs. Best way to watch was to stand in front of it and that's not really comfortable. The staff was always helpful. We had a great time in New York.

Currently New York has only one WIFI service in this area but we are trying to fight that and allow other providers. Now regarding the TV mounted on the wall I was not aware but I will work on relocating the TV.

Yvette took care of me like a mother with her child and it was very pleased regarding I moved in New York City for work. I needed advices ! Definitely I recommend that place.

• 14th Sep 2015

This is a couple of privately owned rooms, not your usual hostel, and there is no social space. There are two nice kitchens and a couple of toilets and showers, it worked fine for us. When you need the owner (e.g. on arrival), ring the bell and wait, if she doesn't come, ring again and again. Yvette is very friendly, and so are her dogs and cats. The location is actually very good because of express A and D subway lines that get you downtown really quickly.

thank you for all your good advice. we had a lovely time.

• 6th Sep 2015
  • Wales

Get a credit card machine and air conditioning.

We offer air conditioning. It would no have mattered. They did not have any money to pay.

I'm SO glad that I found this place. Yvette the owner was so nice and helpful to me. I felt that I could trust her and her opinions. I WILL come back here in the future. THX :) Some things to keep in mind if you wanna stay here: Well organized; AC is an additional $10per day charge; there's a $50 security deposit for incidentals; She has a dog & cat-so if allergic, do not come; turn off all electricity to conserve energy; it's a walk-up-NO elevator here; M60 bus line & subway are 2.5 blks away.

• 15th Jul 2015

The hostel is situated in HARLEM. Therefore, it is nosy at night. Almost every night I couldn't sleep properly either because of the music or fights on the streets. The host is a nice, friendly and helpful lady. She has cats and dog. The location is perfect, only 5 minutes walking from 125th street. I didn't like: towel was smelly, room wasn't cleaned during my staying.

She arrived during the July 4 holiday so yes it is noisy and people are partying but it is not normal. I always tell my guest that if you are not happy please speak up and let me know. When I asked her how is everything she said fine. If she did not like the towel she should have said something and I would have given her another. We do not go into the room and clean unless you are there 5 days or more. It doesn't make sense to complain after you have left. It is your vacation. Speak up.

Fantastic location - cash only seemed a little sketchy, especially as a tourist. The lady was nice and friendly after we paid but not before and hurried us right out of the room on our last day. Would recommend again based on location but with some hesitations.

• 27th Jun 2015

That is completely inaccurate. You pay what the agency tells you to pay. Everything is written clearly out for you. The room is private so there is no sharing. You are paying for the room. There were two people so they can do the math and divide it amoung themselves. Check out is at 11:00AM. You cannot decide that you will check out when ever you want. You should be considerate of the next person who is waiting for their arrival. It is just about being considerate.

It was a very nice place to stay. The hostel in general was very clean specially the bathrooms. If I come back to NY I'll stay again in La Sienna.

• 13th Jun 2015
  • Chile

One shower for up to 5 rooms to share. Shower is old claw foot tub with wrap around curtain, which stuck to me as Im sure it everyone else. Gross. We did not have a kitchen as described but a kitchenette. With no stove, oven or even toaster. Plates provided did not fit in microwave.

• 4th Jun 2015

Yvette was a Perfect host. Our room was about 1/3 the cost of the Marriott and larger. 9 private rooms, all 1 bed, table and chairs, tv, closet , access to a full kitchen, tea,(1suite w kitchen.) We overlooked quiet residential street and a lovely tree. There are 9 rooms sharing 2 toilets and 1 shower. No problem except from 6-8am and 7-9pm. Subway 2blocks away with a police station in between. We came home at 12a.m. just fine. .. 10 min.walk to Columbia. CASH ONLY.

• 18th May 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Second shower is currently being renovated and should be ready within a week.

I was so blessed to have stayed in La Sienna. I will share this hostel to all my family, relatives and friends who will visit NY someday. I will definitely come back to this Hostel. The owner is exceptionally accomodating and kind. Thank you so much for all your support and kindness. God bless

• 27th Apr 2015