La Sienna Reviews

241 West 123rd Street, New York, USA

I liked Harlem. La Sienna was great value, clean, comfortably furnished & secure. The location was convenient to subway, buses, shops & attractions. Yvette was always there to meet & greet, very helpful with local information & proved to be a great host. Thank you Bronwyn.

• 22nd Sep 2014

La Sienna is absolutely great value for money! It is very close to the subway line which goes express to downtown but in a nice quiet and safe neighbourhood with shops, banks, pharmacies all nearby. Our room was spacious, very nicely decorated and very clean. Yvette was friendly, very helpful and full of advice on NYC like where to eat, how to get around etc. I would highly recommend staying here and I will again when visiting New York.

The host was ok, we do not have anything negative to comment about her. But, We requested to be placed on the 3rd floor - never happened. We were placed on the second floor, which is much worse than the 3rd floor. We did not like the room, pictures on the website were better. Shower facilities are uncomfortable, kitchen is a former wardrobe with a fridge. We were disappointed, the place needs improvement in details. Paying $86 per night for such a room is way too expensive.

This is a brownstone with orignal details which I am slowly restoring. I have no interested in modern styles. Now I quote their email said "we are requesting to be above the ground floor (2nd or 3rd). They were on the second floor. Once they arrived I did not hear one complaint. But I always say if something is not right please speak up and allow me the opportunity to take care of you. You cannot internalize your complaints and then expect me to take care of it. SPEAK UP

Old furniture but very well maintained. Recommended to everybody who not want to spent even more money in this expensive city :-) would go there every time again!!

• 5th Sep 2014

The furniture is not old it is called antique or retro with a tiny touch of modern. This building is about 104 yrs old with the original moldings. The building has details and so does the furniture.

Very affordable, nice and cozy hostel. We really enjoyed our stay in La Sienna, and were surprised how easy it was to get to Manhattan, since the nearest subway station is only 5 minutes walk away. The owner Yvette is a lovely lady, who made us feel welcomed right away and gave us some restaurant and subway tips. The only thing we didn't like about the hostel was that the rooms had no air conditioning. But overall a really nice place to stay, and definitely one of the cheapest options :)

• 26th Aug 2014
  • Finland

I stayed here as a female 22yo solo traveller from AUS and loved it. Yvette was a very lovely and warm host had gone to much effort to help me with transport to the airport. Loved Yvette and her dog Bailey! The house is a gorgeous brownstone townhouse with 3 storeys. Truly an authentic NY feel.My room was very gorgeous, 'old-style' but in the best way possible - it suited the brownstone townhouse. Only felt unsafe returning after a night out alone at 2am.During 'sociable' hours, I was fine!

• 5th Aug 2014

The place was a bit quirky but I peraoally really liked it. The area is a full of latin and african american people, very lively and authentic. The lady at the hostel was very nice and helpful, although at the beginning there was a little misunderstanding with the arrival time and she cancelled our booking. Luckily evrything was sorted quite quickly. The hostal is very well equipped, but the toilets could have been cleaner. Quick express metro train to center.Overall good value for money!

The toilets are cleaned several times a day by hand. I never used a mop. However sometimes a person may use the toilet before you and is not so considerate.

Great, affordable accomodation in New York! Really well equipped and very clean. Since it is not an official hostel, don't be suprised about the absence of any sign at the street (just know the house number!) and that you might need to wait a bit until your knocking at the door is heard...) Yvette suggested that when you are going to stay as a single person, just tell her in advance and she will try to swap some rooms so that you don't need to pay the biggest, most expensive double room.

• 18th Jul 2014

We loved our stay at La Sienna! The owner is lovely and made our stay a pleasure. Our room was beautiful, extremely clean and gorgeously furnished. La Sienna is extremely accessible through the subway making travel through the city a breeze. Definitely a great price for the location and quality of the room! If catching a taxi to this location definitely know the cross street for the taxi to take you to (8th Avenue & W.123rd.) as we were taken to East 123rd late at night which was eye-opening.

We stayed for 3 nights. When we checked in the owner said it was overbooked so we need to change to down grade room with refund some. OK we choose it. The room was 3rd fl. It was so noisy from morning because there was construction next to window. just 2m from the window, many people walk and use noisy machines from 8am. dusts come to inside room. about Internet, we couldnt use wifi by iPhone coz the wifi router is at 1st fl. owner tried to do best to fix but we both couldnt use wifi at all.

• 8th Jul 2014

Yes I did have an overbooking for the Studio so I gave them a substantial discount for a room. I also gave them the option to go somewhere else if they were not happy. This is New York and there is always construction going on somewhere. Also we have many people walking around the city all hours of the night and yes during the day there are many people. I have had problems with this internet provider and currently looking for another.

We had a wonderful stay at La Sienna. Yvette, the host, is such a lovely warm person. I was very unwell during my stay with a chest cold and Yvette made me and my husband a big pot of yummy chicken soup! She went above and beyond to make sure her guests are comfortable and happy. Our ground floor studio apartment was beautifully furnished with a very comfy bed and good quality bedding. A charming place to stay! Harlem is a great area and well worth exploring in NY.

• 14th Jun 2014

Excellent value for money. Building had nicely restored character. Rooms reasonable size with very comfortable beds and good hd cable tv. Around 400 meter walk to the subway, which is also an express station (the white dots on the NYC subway maps) meaning express trains only take around 10ish minutes to reach time squre as they only stop at certain staitions.

• 9th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Staying at La Sienna was the best decision we made. We arrived at the Hostel an hour before check in & our hostess, Yvette, was amazing enough to have our room ready for us. Yvette assured us that she took the cleanliness of the rooms very seriously & it definitely showed; the kitchen & bathroom were spotless. Yvette also recommended a few places to eat & to visit in NYC & her recommendations did not fail us. The location was perfect, rates were great & our stay was relaxing & comfortable.

Overall, the place was great. The only problem I saw was that there was no doorbell, so we stood and knocked for a while, and weren't sure anyone heard us - granted, there was only one person working and she had stepped out for a quick minute, but had there been a doorbell, we would've felt more confident that someone could hear us. Also when we were on our way out, we also saw a guest who was checking in stuck at the front because no one could hear her. A doorbell that works would be beneficial

Yes we had a door installed and the contractor removed the door bell but was not able to put it back together however I do put a sign on the door to ring the bell downstairs until the problem is resolved.

The owner made us feel extremely welcome from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. This is not a traditional hostel, but more like a small private accommodation with private rooms. Friendly owner, clean rooms and bathroom, helpful, warm atmosphere, and easy/quick subway access to Times Square and all other New York attractions/sights. This is a brilliant place to stay, and FANTASTIC value too. We'll be back, definitely.

Realy nice staying here. The subway is nearby so you can go to Manhatten very easy. The room was fine. We slept in two rooms, because there was an other couple coming. In one of the rooms we slept on a bed which was very hard en noisy. The other room was smaller but the bed was good! Everything is clean and the lady of the house is always prepared to help you out. We stayed for a week and it was awesome! Don't forget to bring money with you, you have to pay when you arrive...

• 2nd May 2014

We felt very welcome and liked our room a lot, exactly what we were looking for. Good location with good connections. Clean and tidy, kitchen was well planned and the whole place felt like home. Thank you, we'd like to stay here next time too!

Despite it being quite noisy with the building works going on next door (and throughout the city, it seems!) we still managed to have good sleeps in a very comfy bed for a good price, with plenty of local facilities and a nearby subway station.

• 22nd Apr 2014

We had a really nice time and the owner was very nice and helpful. There are two friendly dogs and a cat living there, which was fine for us but should be mentioned for people with allergies etc... The area isn't the best, but if you stay on the main roads you should be fine. Subway is within 6 minutes walk and it takes an about 8-15 minutes ride to go downtown.

• 15th Apr 2014

Cat was mentioned but we have updated to include the dogs. Thank you.

La Sienna is a great place! The owner is soooo kind! 5 minutes walking from the express metro, in a very nice and safe neighborhood, even at night. Very good value for the money, and very clean kitchen and bathroom. I will definitely recommend La Sienna to my friends coming to NYC!!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7