Lady Ruthelen Reviews

3775 Ruthelen Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90018, Los Angeles, USA

As an American, I can tell when other Americans open a hostel for purely economical reasons vs to create and facilitate the spirit of international youth travel. It’s a house in a very run down part of Los Angeles. Nothing more. There are long term guest there, mostly ignorant Americans, who get drunk and make the international travelers uncomfortable. Over all my feelings are very so so, to annoyed at my stay ad Lady Ruthelen. Read more at my blog: http://thehosteler.wordpress.com/2014/

Filthy carpets, smelly rooms, incredibly HOT. On the website they advertise 'air conditioning', but after staying for three days I was told 'we lost the key, can't use no AC with no key'. Really?! Bad location: I was harassed and saw domestic violence on a Sunday afternoon outside of the hotel. This is upsetting because the doors are not usually locked and there is no staff guarding any of the houses. The breakfast is some stale poptarts in a tub on the counter. Don't make this mistake!

• 31st Aug 2013

We apologize for your miserable experience. We have rectified the A/C issue. We are sorry you had to witness what you did. Our location is generally quite safe especially since the neighborhood has great respect for our services as they are connected to a rather famous Hollywood actor. Such things as open domestic violence seldom occur. Also, we have diversified our breakfast menu. We still have poptarts.

Nice staffs and great location

very friendly and helpfull staff

• 22nd Aug 2013

Reservation cancelled the day before our arrival. We went to the place to get the refund, and they said that they can not give it to us in cash. After three mails from us, still no answer... Still waiting for our refund...

The staff are very nice and helpful. There was some electricity issue with our room so we didn't really stay at Lady Ruthelen. They tried hard to find us a twin room in one of the other houses but eventually we stayed in a spare room at the office. The room had not been used for a while and was dusty and run down. We were allowed to use the fascilities of the Rochester hostel, which is just across the street.

Very clean, convenient , friendly. It's a struggle to park though. Close from transportation. On a y a croisé des francais en stage. Plutot satisfaits.

• 28th Jun 2013

The only reason I've chosen to stay in this hostel is the vicinity with the Metro (efficient public transportation of LA). I was told since my arrival that the building mentioned on the web site was full, and I was put in another building, further away from the Metro. The staff is friendly but really not professional.

• 16th Jun 2013
  • Luxembourg

It's a nice place. I stayed here over two months,I met a good man,He's name is Shawn. He is friendly and helpful,So I feel comfortable in here. Good!!!!

• 14th Jun 2013
  • Taiwan

The house manager was cool. He kept things nice and orderly and answered all my questions about Los Angeles.

• 5th Jun 2013

It was nice place were to stay, but it depends in which building you are. Quit close to metro line. Good value for money and nice staff.

The hostel was very dirty. The carpet was filthy. The kitchen was not cleaned regularly and the garbage always overflowing. The first night the police and paramedics had to come to remove someone staying in the hostel. The heat was set so high that it felt like a sauna in the building. Not in the safest area of LA (south central). Breakfast was stale bread, cereal, and orange juice. Have stayed in many hostels and this was by far the worst.

• 9th Jan 2013

Not a very good one, I've been in much better hostels than Lady Ruthelen. The neighborhood is not very safe, actually I found out that it´s one of the most dangerous in LA, even though the location is very good because is very close to train station. The atmosphere is good just because of people that are living there (yes, they live there!). Good place to stay for few days, but just if you're a day person and don't like to go out at night!

The staff were super friendly - don't be put off by havung to go to a different address to check in, it makes more sense when you get there. I stayed in the dorm which is a very nice clean room over a garage. It was cleaned every day and for the most part I had it to myself which was great. The neighbourhood is probably not ideal if you don't have a car but for someone with a car it was ideal, the parking out the back of the hostel was great too.

Staff are very nice , and it is like a family, however, if you are designed to a 2-person room, you have to share the only one bathroom with the next room which contains 6 people...... Apart from that, all is good.

• 29th Aug 2012
  • China

They are a new company beginning out. Lovely staff but if you don't have a car its in a very dodgy area and I didn't feel very safe at all.

My friends and I stayed at different hostels over the last few days, and I was lucky enough to have booked at Lady Ruthelen! The house is brand new, and the room was beautiful! Not only that, we were also really close to the train station, and the hostel staff was very friendly! Definitely a good value!

The hostel is small and simple, also the room is so comfortable, The location is not very good, but there is a subway station four or five blocks from the hostel, is the only way to go somewhere if you don't have a car. The manager is so helpful, neighborly and friendly. Her name is Pamela, she helped us in everything we needed.

Staff was friendly, just a lot of construction going on and a little far from desired LA attractions. Clean facilities and friendly environment.

• 22nd Jun 2012