Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

As stated, the hostel has no manned reception. So you won't see any staff at all if you're out during the day when the cleaning lady comes through. It was quiet and peaceful, but if we had had a problem we would have been screwed, since you could only contact the owner via phone and we had none. Other than that it was fairly average. In a good location and kept very clean. Breakfast was just corn flakes and bread with butter/jam.

Location was excellent, very close to station. Kitchen was nice as there were cereal, milk, tea & coffee. Atmosphere was good and the hostel was clean. However, the staff mixed up our booking and we couldn't find our room. Hostel was unmanned so we tried to call the staff but he didn't answer. While looking for our room we accidentally entered other people's dorm as the lock was of keypad. (So security wasn't ideal) Although staff phoned back and solved our problem later, it was inconvenient.

very good location. just minutes of walk to the station. comfortable bedding. very clean environment.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

This hostel is very good. The room was clean and also the bathroom. The kitchen was very good to cook or just eat a meal.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Water is too small for shower and sometimes water is too hot. There is not sufficient bathrooms to accommodate for 5 rooms. Waiting too long for the shower and toilet. Location is centered, near to the Windermere city centre and rail station. 15-20 mins walk to Windermere lake.

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Hong Kong

Good place to stay. You never really see any staff, but they trust you enough to leave you to it! The bathrooms were really nice and kept very clean. The breakfast was ok, it did run out one morning though. Would definitely come back.

Hostel exactly as described, great value for money and great location. Very chilled out relaxed atmosphere with everything you need to enjoy your stay - a bonus that tea, coffee and simple breakfast was provided by the owners! I would highly recommend it for someone who hasn't been to the Lake District before. My only criticism would be that there are only two bathrooms for the whole hostel and with several dorms it can make for a bit of hanging around in the mornings.

Our room was changed without any notice in advance. What did not make any sense was that we were taken from a dorm for 4 people and placed to another dorm for 4 people. If both rooms are for 4 people why change it ? moreover why moving my personel belongings on to floor ?

• 20th Jul 2014
  • Turkey

Very nice, extremely quiet and friendly. Nicest bathroom I've ever seen in a hostel, and the kitchen is big too. It's unstaffed, but when I had a question I was able to get in touch with the manager by phone incredibly quickly, so it doesn't pose any trouble if you have a phone. Great place!

It was a bit strange not having anybody at the hostel itself, but all the visitors were friendly, and it was super clean! (best bit) also the shared areas were comfy - overall a really good stay!

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

I booked a last minute weekend trip to the Lake District, and this hostel was the only one in Windermere that had a bed available. Reading the reviews, I was concerned about the security and cleanliness with the lack of staff. But I was pleasantly surprised! The hostel was extremely clean. There were only two bathrooms, but I never had to queue. The beds were also very comfortable. There were plenty of lockers in the lounge. The wifi wasn't very good, but it did work most of the time.

• 12th Jul 2014

Lake District Backpackers hostel is not manned, so I am not able to rate Staff, ain't I? WiFi does not always work in there. During my stay it worked in the mornings only for the first two days. The last day it worked is it supposed to do. Some backpakers were saying that showers do not mix hot and cold water very well and it is easy to get scalded (H&S issue!) but I was managing :)

It was a nice stay there.

• 5th Jul 2014
  • India

On the booking page it didn't state breakfast was provided. They actually provide simple basic breakfast, e.g. tea and coffee, toasts, butter and jam- self catering. But the toasts have expired for quite some time... Their light in the toilet on the 1st floor was out of order from the first day we arrived, wasn't fixed until our departure (stayed 3 nights). Wi-fi wasn't working on the last day as well. Some signs that the bedding might not be changed for the next customer.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Taiwan

Very good hostel and better than expected. First time staying a dorm hostel, and probably would try to avoid in the future. Although the dorm mates were friendly, it is a little awkward between those that go to bed late and those who wake up early.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • Wales

No reception at this hostel. No staff in sight! You have to have the password details to get in before the stay or else you will be stranded outside as I was! The lack of staff also made it difficult to work out what to do around town. Luckily there was an info centre up the rd. On the upside, great location and good facilities. Not a bad place overall

It was the first time that I had been at a self-catering hostel and I enjoyed it a lot. Lovely minimal hostel for the ones who only want a place to sleep.

The location is very nice~ you can reach there from Windermere train station in 2 minutes.

Nice hostel in excellent location. It's not manned so one might be concerned about the security but nothing too worrying. Could do with more bathrooms. Good value for money!

My first impression on the hostel was good since its neat, but the thing that really pissed me off is this, one night the shower wasnt working, no water came out, so I called the staff, and he asked me to fix it myself. I am actually ok with that, but later on I couldnt fully understand his instruccion so I asked again, and he said "Is there anyone who speaks English?" I asked him just to explain again, but he said again "But is there anyone who speaks english?" This is just so rude!!!

View all Lake District Hostels