Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

I never saw any "staff", but the place seemed to be reasonably well-maintained, although it would be nice to have instructions as to how to operate the TV. Security is good, except that the code is the same for all of the rooms, so anyone could go into any of the rooms at any time. It would be nice to have more shelves in the bathrooms and rooms for toiletries, etc. Otherwise, it's a good, centrally-located place to stay -- I met some nice women when we hung out in the lounge.

Could do with having a pack of cards as there was only 1 game and 1 jigsaw. Also I could not find a hair dryer . I stayed in room 2 and unfortunately I had the worst mattress and spent 2 nights with springs sticking into me. I did not see the warden but I did report a minor problem to him over the phone and he was very helpful.

• 24th Aug 2015

As this is a self-service hostel, I don't know that we actually encountered any staff. This meant that I had no way of getting a pillow case for my sadly unpillowcased pillow. Other than that not having staff there was fine. According to my cofirmation we booked a 4 person dorm room and instead found ourselves in a 7 person room with no room for bags or to get around each other. It was very cramped. Breakfast was cereal and toast which is lovely and it was very close to the train station.

Except the great location, everything was pretty worse that I expected. When I first entered the hostel, the first feeling I had was creepy. I'm sorry but I really have this feeling from my staying. And I didn't feel clean in the room I slept. I actually paid for two nights, but I couldn't stand staying there. So I found other b&b to stay on my second night in Lake District. Well, it was actually similar price. And yes it's true from most of the reviews, I could hardly see any staff around

• 18th Aug 2015
  • Hong Kong

Loved my stay there. Such a beautiful area to be in a and the location is perfect right over from the station. Handy having a kitchen there too :)

• 9th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Great place even without staff. Everything was very clean and the breakfast was quite nice too. We really enjoyed the atmosphere. Definitely recommendable!

No staff... Just why? Because there is no staff, there are cameras all over (except for bedrooms and bathrooms, of course) and it's a bit like big brother. The lockers are paid for, don't put your coin in it, you won't get it back! The rooms were reasonably clean but the sheets were like a leftover of a huge sheet that was cut in half and instead of two sheets you get one folded up from the feet up.. again why..? There is supposed to be breakfast but we didn't find it. Good location, though.

This hostel is really good, the dinning room make me feel cosy. I do recommend this hostel.

I enjoyed my stay here, however it ended on a negative note. Unfortunately I had some things stolen from me, mostly due to the fact that there is nowhere to lock your bag away. The room does provide some small cages that are lockable but they wouldn't fit much more than a backpack inside, and there was not enough cages for the capacity of the room. The sheets were changed between each user, but not the duvet covers. The shower in the upstairs bathroom floods easily. I never saw the owner.

• 20th Jul 2015

HI, I am sorry to hear you had something stolen, it is very unusual here. We provide the lockers under each bed so that you can store valuables and also there are lockers available in the lounge. The duvets are changed regularly and we have actioned the shower overflowing, thanks for that. Kind regards Paul

I was very disappointed in my stay at the Lakes District Backpackers. It's in a great location, but that's it's only real draw card. The facilities were very basic, and the rate of cleanliness was very poor. I didn't notice the shower cleaned once during my stay. I never saw the owner come to the hostel at all during my week there, and after trying to contact him regarding some of my items that went missing during my stay, he's never called me back.

Hi - We are the cheapest accommodation in the whole of the Lake District, so if you wanted more luxuries then there are readily available at a price at B and B's and hotels. The cleaners come in every day and the bathrooms are naturally cleaned every day too. I am sorry If I did not receive your message, if you can email then I will look into your lost items I look forward to hearing from you Kind regards Paul

Very uncomfortable bed. Squeezed in with lots of bags. Strange to not see any staff and just let yourself in and pay etc.

Hi, I was surprised to hear about the bed as we renewed all the mattresses this year, maybe too hard or soft for you? Anyway I am sorry you did not have a good sleep. As for the lack of staff, the manager/cleaner is there every day in the morning, we cannot man the hostel 24 hrs a day though! Thanks Paul

Staff were not there, it was all done via an honesty system. Bed was not made and I had no idea where to go. It seemed like the staff, if any, just couldn't care.

Hi - sorry your bed was not made, somebody occupied your bed by mistake, so I do apologise. However, your name was on the arrivals list in reception , so you would have know which room. We do care very much about our hostel guests and am sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your one night with us Thanks Paul

I purchased a spot in a 6-bed dorm but it ended up being a 7-bed dorm. This is unacceptable. Annoying that you must pay for lockers. Otherwise, mostly pleasant stay.

It's a different set up, I don't think I saw a staff member once. The place is small and clean but the system could use a little work. The print out of arrivals was never accurate so there was always a bit of confusion about room assignments. Never caused a major issue, just a little annoying.

Such a beautiful place, not really staffed but it's cool, everyone helps each other out and at the end of the day you're there to get outside and amongst the Lake District!

Alright hostel, there are no staff which is weird, you just put your money into a little box. Good location though, 1min from train station and close to buses. A big negative would be that we were double booked so at 10pm or 23:00 we were forced to move rooms with all our stuff, the same thing happened to a couple the day before us So all in all an ok hostel, not much hostel vibe and you will probably be overbooked

Very nice hostel! We really enjoyed the atmosphere there! Great location too! A really good deal for people who are looking for a great accommodation next to Lake Windermere!

This hostel works on an honour system. You deposit your cash money in a safe, are given a code prior to check in and then you are all set up! At first I was a little worried there were no staff around but you soon get used to it. Place needs a bit of a refurb - cupboard doors falling off, taps appear to be leaking in room onto carpet, however in saying that it was a good location, beds were comfy and water in showers was always hot (which is what you want after a long day of hiking!!)

Like other reviewers have mentioned, not having any staff there is a bit weird, but everything else about this hostel was really nice. The location is really good, and the bedrooms are good-sized with a sink in the room. It's a little annoying only have two bathrooms in the whole hostel, but it usually worked okay. Breakfast was simple but good, and free!

The hostel was not staffed at all which was somewhat strange, payments made by cash into a safe box. Would be better if you could pay by card

View all Lake District Hostels