Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

The location of the hostel is conveniently just 3 minutes away from the train station. I got really lucky and although I booked and paid a 4-bed room I had a double room for myself. You have to paid cash and the exact sum because the reception is unmanned and you have to drop the money into a safe. The kitchen and bathrooms are cleaned during the day and breakfast (cereal and toast) is provided. I definitely recommend the hostel for people who want to explore the amazing surroundings.

We found it a little odd that there is no reception and everything is done on a sort of do it yourself basis. It's perfectly ok, but would be nice to have someone to talk to if you have any questions or queries. The rooms are great, really comfy beds and there are sinks in the rooms, which is a big bonus. One down side was that there were no towels available for hire, even though it had stated that on the website. But overall it's good value, cosy and safe!

Positives - it was very clean. Cool common room with beanbags. Close to train/bus. A few walks posted downstairs. Negatives - 1 combined toilet and shower for the whole hostel. 1 power point in a 6 bed room. Need to know - You need the correct change because you pay in an envelope, not to a person.

There were no staff but it really didnt matter!!! Nice location, nice beds, nice toilets. Everything you want in a little hostel!

Interesting hostel in that there were no staff about but this did not pose a problem to me at all and I liked the "trust" system of paying cash in an envelope. Lovely warm duvet in the room, everywhere was clean and I meet some lovely people during my stay.

View all Lake District Hostels