Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

Positives - it was very clean. Cool common room with beanbags. Close to train/bus. A few walks posted downstairs. Negatives - 1 combined toilet and shower for the whole hostel. 1 power point in a 6 bed room. Need to know - You need the correct change because you pay in an envelope, not to a person.

There were no staff but it really didnt matter!!! Nice location, nice beds, nice toilets. Everything you want in a little hostel!

Interesting hostel in that there were no staff about but this did not pose a problem to me at all and I liked the "trust" system of paying cash in an envelope. Lovely warm duvet in the room, everywhere was clean and I meet some lovely people during my stay.

i cancelled my reservation before i even went. why dont you do a better job on your website

The staff hassled us about being a half-hour late on our checkout, like we'd committed some great crime. And when we tried eating our breakfast after checking out, we were constantly told that we're late, and were not allowed to eat in peace as the cleaning lady kept giving out to us about it, even though we said we'd clean up after. In no other hostel (and we've travelled to quite a few worldwide and in the UK) have we been hurried like this, and this is a bad experience.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Latvia

I was confused not to have a staff first, but if you look around on the board, it's easy to proceed (though, I'd mistaken about the front door code and the room door one, and I had to phone the manager.) He's accessible on the spot and very kind. It felt like I was staying friends' place; it's homey and comfortable. It was nice to get together with fe/male visitors in the common place in a comfy situation all day.

Location is right next to the train and bus station. About a half an hour walk to the lake. Facilities are cleaned everyday. Very nice place to stay as a couple. Wouldn't recommend it for large groups and not sure how often the codes on the doors are changed..

As stated, the hostel has no manned reception. So you won't see any staff at all if you're out during the day when the cleaning lady comes through. It was quiet and peaceful, but if we had had a problem we would have been screwed, since you could only contact the owner via phone and we had none. Other than that it was fairly average. In a good location and kept very clean. Breakfast was just corn flakes and bread with butter/jam.

Location was excellent, very close to station. Kitchen was nice as there were cereal, milk, tea & coffee. Atmosphere was good and the hostel was clean. However, the staff mixed up our booking and we couldn't find our room. Hostel was unmanned so we tried to call the staff but he didn't answer. While looking for our room we accidentally entered other people's dorm as the lock was of keypad. (So security wasn't ideal) Although staff phoned back and solved our problem later, it was inconvenient.

View all Lake District Hostels