Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

Our room was changed without any notice in advance. What did not make any sense was that we were taken from a dorm for 4 people and placed to another dorm for 4 people. If both rooms are for 4 people why change it ? moreover why moving my personel belongings on to floor ?

• 20th Jul 2014
  • Turkey

Very nice, extremely quiet and friendly. Nicest bathroom I've ever seen in a hostel, and the kitchen is big too. It's unstaffed, but when I had a question I was able to get in touch with the manager by phone incredibly quickly, so it doesn't pose any trouble if you have a phone. Great place!

It was a bit strange not having anybody at the hostel itself, but all the visitors were friendly, and it was super clean! (best bit) also the shared areas were comfy - overall a really good stay!

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

I booked a last minute weekend trip to the Lake District, and this hostel was the only one in Windermere that had a bed available. Reading the reviews, I was concerned about the security and cleanliness with the lack of staff. But I was pleasantly surprised! The hostel was extremely clean. There were only two bathrooms, but I never had to queue. The beds were also very comfortable. There were plenty of lockers in the lounge. The wifi wasn't very good, but it did work most of the time.

• 12th Jul 2014

Lake District Backpackers hostel is not manned, so I am not able to rate Staff, ain't I? WiFi does not always work in there. During my stay it worked in the mornings only for the first two days. The last day it worked is it supposed to do. Some backpakers were saying that showers do not mix hot and cold water very well and it is easy to get scalded (H&S issue!) but I was managing :)

It was a nice stay there.

• 5th Jul 2014
  • India

On the booking page it didn't state breakfast was provided. They actually provide simple basic breakfast, e.g. tea and coffee, toasts, butter and jam- self catering. But the toasts have expired for quite some time... Their light in the toilet on the 1st floor was out of order from the first day we arrived, wasn't fixed until our departure (stayed 3 nights). Wi-fi wasn't working on the last day as well. Some signs that the bedding might not be changed for the next customer.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Taiwan

Very good hostel and better than expected. First time staying a dorm hostel, and probably would try to avoid in the future. Although the dorm mates were friendly, it is a little awkward between those that go to bed late and those who wake up early.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • Wales

No reception at this hostel. No staff in sight! You have to have the password details to get in before the stay or else you will be stranded outside as I was! The lack of staff also made it difficult to work out what to do around town. Luckily there was an info centre up the rd. On the upside, great location and good facilities. Not a bad place overall

It was the first time that I had been at a self-catering hostel and I enjoyed it a lot. Lovely minimal hostel for the ones who only want a place to sleep.

The location is very nice~ you can reach there from Windermere train station in 2 minutes.

Nice hostel in excellent location. It's not manned so one might be concerned about the security but nothing too worrying. Could do with more bathrooms. Good value for money!

My first impression on the hostel was good since its neat, but the thing that really pissed me off is this, one night the shower wasnt working, no water came out, so I called the staff, and he asked me to fix it myself. I am actually ok with that, but later on I couldnt fully understand his instruccion so I asked again, and he said "Is there anyone who speaks English?" I asked him just to explain again, but he said again "But is there anyone who speaks english?" This is just so rude!!!

It was kind of odd that there wasn't any staff. But it actually works well though. So wasn't a big problem. The hostel was really close from the train station which was a really good point. And it was clean and comfortable. I felt like it was my home. I'd stay there again.

Great little hostel, I had a wonderful time here. Close to everything you could possibly need, whether it's pubs, supermarkets or restaurants, or if you want to discover different view points/foot paths. There were only two more visitors there when I arrived, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves, but if you like your showers in the morning it might be a little difficult when there's more guests, as there's only two bathrooms to share between the visitors.

I only like to say one word PERFECT :) Oh and there is something else , you will not see any staff there , wich is that the staff has a lot of trust in there costumers. I will be back for sure :)

There is no staff around, but everything went well, very well. I enjoyed my staying at this hostel a lot, everything was so great, with the price you cant ask more! I will definitely go back there.

I was disappointed with my stay here, there was blood on the quilt cover, and none were changed for my entire stay. The breakfast provided had frozen and defrosted bread past it's use by date and or morning there wasn't even any milk. No staff, and no atmosphere. As a solo traveller this was poor, if you're in a group it wouldn't be so bad.

The facilities are really of good quality. The mattress are very soft and the bed are new. The bathroom is very clean and there is even a printer in the common room! However I think the biggest problem is that there is only one bathroom for each floor! Consider that people need it for changing clothes, using toilet and taking shower, it is really not convenient! And I think I booked

It really is completely self-service, but that makes it feel like home! The staff were very helpful via email, we accidenetly left some important belongings there, and they were very helpful about returning them! Also very close to the train/ bus station which was great.

View all Lake District Hostels