Lake District Backpackers

Very Good 534 Total Reviews

• South Africa, Female, 25-30
5th Aug 2017
5.7

Mixup with our booking meant we were placed in mixed dorm instead of an all girls dorm.Manager offered us a £5 discount to apologise.We were obligated to take the discount as we had arrived late in the evening from London and didn't have another option.The hostel was fully booked but I'm still unhappy that it wasn't resolved to my satisfaction.There are only two bathrooms which is not enough for the amount of people.There was also no spread for bread for the promised breakfast. Won't come back

4th Aug 2017
6.6

I knew going into this that it wasn't going to be great, but I just felt dirty here. Bed was clean but something about it made me feel gross. The kitchen was dirty, as was the bathrooms. There's also only 2 bathrooms. It just needs to be updated and given a good clean. You can get better hostels for the same price. Overall, bearable for a night.

Hi, thanks for your comments. The hostel is very busy at this time of year and the bathrooms and kitchen are cleaned daily.However, with people not leaving on time and others arriving before the agreed check in time, means these areas are in constant use and difficult to keep spotless as some guests tend to just leave their dirty dishes in the hope that someone else will clean up after them. I trust you do not fall into any of the above categories? Thanks

• USA, Female, 31-40
29th Jul 2017
6.9

Good location and quiet. The bathrooms were fine. The room was really small and the upper bunk mattress was REALLy uncomfortable. It looked VERY old and warn out and when sleeping on it, I could feel the coils. The bottom sheet didn't cover the entire mattress either. There was a free breakfast offered but it was not great quality bread and equally not great cereal that was offered. Overall, the kitchen was really dirty and the dryer for the dishes was really moldy. Location was amazing!

20th Jul 2017
6.3

This hostel has no staff on site. Payment is made in the form of cash posted into a safe.

15th Jul 2017
7.7

Good hostel.

• England, Couple, 18-24
11th Jul 2017

Backpackers is located close by Windermere train station, ideal for those travelling without a car. Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly lady called Jan who showed us to our room - which had just been cleaned for us - and said we were welcome to help ourselves to bread, cereal, milk and tea/coffee. The bathrooms and kitchen were exceptionally clean. My only complaint is that there was only one breakfast bowl in the kitchen. Nonetheless great value for money and would definitely stay again.

10th Jul 2017

This is a self-service hostel, so I never saw any of the staff, but I really liked the hostel. The only thing that I didn't like was that the directions for how to check in/check out/pay were scattered over a bulletin board and I had to hunt through all of the information there to figure it out. Still, very nice hostel.

• Australia, Female, 18-24
9th Jul 2017

I stayed here with my partner in a double room. It was easy to check in & out and the location was perfect. It's the only budget option we found in the area and was good for our overnight stay. No staff at the hostel while was stayed however the honesty system of payment works well. The only problem we had were there was no option of towel hire (which is available at most hostels) so just remember to bring your own!

Hi, just to let you know we do have towel hire , you just have to contact me by phone or mail and we will tell you how to access the towels. Thanks Paul

• England, Mixed Group, 18-24
8th Jul 2017

Loved our stay, location was perfect and we liked the privacy of our own room. We were sent the door code details by email and that was all fine. Paying in cash was a little odd but it went into the safe. Two bathrooms were nice, not spotless but clean enough. Good communal space and kitchen facilities. Overall would stay again.

6th Jul 2017
6.9

No staff was there, no services AT ALL. They asked you to put the money into the safety box in the lobby, do the checkin by yourself, so do not expect any help when you need it. The place was secured, but the lock was difficult to use. When we arrived, we tried for more than 10 min to open it. We phoned the hostel for help, but no one answered. BTW, the freezer couldn't keep food fresh forever, so the sign on the wall "don't worry about the date" was kind of ridiculous for me.