Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

We found it a little odd that there is no reception and everything is done on a sort of do it yourself basis. It's perfectly ok, but would be nice to have someone to talk to if you have any questions or queries. The rooms are great, really comfy beds and there are sinks in the rooms, which is a big bonus. One down side was that there were no towels available for hire, even though it had stated that on the website. But overall it's good value, cosy and safe!

Positives - it was very clean. Cool common room with beanbags. Close to train/bus. A few walks posted downstairs. Negatives - 1 combined toilet and shower for the whole hostel. 1 power point in a 6 bed room. Need to know - You need the correct change because you pay in an envelope, not to a person.

There were no staff but it really didnt matter!!! Nice location, nice beds, nice toilets. Everything you want in a little hostel!

Interesting hostel in that there were no staff about but this did not pose a problem to me at all and I liked the "trust" system of paying cash in an envelope. Lovely warm duvet in the room, everywhere was clean and I meet some lovely people during my stay.

i cancelled my reservation before i even went. why dont you do a better job on your website

The staff hassled us about being a half-hour late on our checkout, like we'd committed some great crime. And when we tried eating our breakfast after checking out, we were constantly told that we're late, and were not allowed to eat in peace as the cleaning lady kept giving out to us about it, even though we said we'd clean up after. In no other hostel (and we've travelled to quite a few worldwide and in the UK) have we been hurried like this, and this is a bad experience.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Latvia

I was confused not to have a staff first, but if you look around on the board, it's easy to proceed (though, I'd mistaken about the front door code and the room door one, and I had to phone the manager.) He's accessible on the spot and very kind. It felt like I was staying friends' place; it's homey and comfortable. It was nice to get together with fe/male visitors in the common place in a comfy situation all day.

View all Lake District Hostels