Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

Windermere backpackers hostel is a very dissent one, it is definitely great value for money, great location but there is no staff in the hostel at all. For example, guests are expected to pay in CASH as they arrive, however there is no one to give any change back. Also, in terms of security, it is hard to agree that it is secure since there is NO staff to help.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Turkey

Nice place. More of a guest house than a hostel. It was a good location and worked well for us. Never saw any staff that I know of (could have been one of the other guests for all I know), but the place was reasonably clean.

The bathroom is quite clean. Kitchen and bedroom was not so bad.

no reception, this dirty, you can not pay by credit card, cash only and must be put in an envelope! (disaster), the mattresses are very uncomfortable, I do not recommend this hostel to anyone !!!

• 9th Oct 2015

Hi Natalia, thanks for your comments. The mattress has been renewed and we have a cleaner every day, so I apologise if you felt it was dirty, as we usually have very good comments on this front! Yes, it is cash only I am afraid and there is a cash point 1 minute walk from the hostel

Nice place! Good commons area to chill in. Close to town centre and some nice walks. Staff aren't present, so if you have any issues or questions, there's no one to help you. But, information place is just up the road. Not the cleanest place I've been, without staff to monitor it, but besides that it was good.

very nice place, very clean, breakfast room all equipped , nice sitting room with internet access. perfect

• 29th Sep 2015

I dont mind honesty system and overal expression was good, I found slightly problematic that there are just 2 bathrooms where is 1 shower and 1 toilet together, so when someone need toilet you cant have shower (vice versa). Kitchen and common room were good and we really enjoy sitting in the fatboys :-D I would highly recommen to put splitters into the rooms because room for 4 people with 2 sockets its not enough in these time, and whats more one of them in our room was broken...

Would prefer there be limited desk hours rather than none at all.

this place is very good, good location and very clean

very nice hostel, I was book a single room but it has 2 beds, it is what I wanted because I have a partner.By the way, the wifi is so weak and I only can contacted it in the first floor, but it is no problem for me.

A great location and price! The security was quite worrying though. I had a friend who stayed at the Lake District Backpackers over a month ago and she said the security codes were the same then. Paying in cash in an envelope was a little alarming too.

• 8th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Good location for Lakes District & well equipped hostel. Beds could be upgraded. Never saw a staff member the whole time I was there, but systems in place worked!

I never saw any "staff", but the place seemed to be reasonably well-maintained, although it would be nice to have instructions as to how to operate the TV. Security is good, except that the code is the same for all of the rooms, so anyone could go into any of the rooms at any time. It would be nice to have more shelves in the bathrooms and rooms for toiletries, etc. Otherwise, it's a good, centrally-located place to stay -- I met some nice women when we hung out in the lounge.

Could do with having a pack of cards as there was only 1 game and 1 jigsaw. Also I could not find a hair dryer . I stayed in room 2 and unfortunately I had the worst mattress and spent 2 nights with springs sticking into me. I did not see the warden but I did report a minor problem to him over the phone and he was very helpful.

• 24th Aug 2015

There were no staff. It was a lovely quiet place and very central.

As this is a self-service hostel, I don't know that we actually encountered any staff. This meant that I had no way of getting a pillow case for my sadly unpillowcased pillow. Other than that not having staff there was fine. According to my cofirmation we booked a 4 person dorm room and instead found ourselves in a 7 person room with no room for bags or to get around each other. It was very cramped. Breakfast was cereal and toast which is lovely and it was very close to the train station.

A bit of a strange hostel because there were no staff (except for cleaning staff during the day), but it worked and I had a really good time here! It was easy to meet people, and the hostel has a nice big common area and a well-equipped kitchen.

Except the great location, everything was pretty worse that I expected. When I first entered the hostel, the first feeling I had was creepy. I'm sorry but I really have this feeling from my staying. And I didn't feel clean in the room I slept. I actually paid for two nights, but I couldn't stand staying there. So I found other b&b to stay on my second night in Lake District. Well, it was actually similar price. And yes it's true from most of the reviews, I could hardly see any staff around

• 18th Aug 2015