Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

There were no staff but it really didnt matter!!! Nice location, nice beds, nice toilets. Everything you want in a little hostel!

Interesting hostel in that there were no staff about but this did not pose a problem to me at all and I liked the "trust" system of paying cash in an envelope. Lovely warm duvet in the room, everywhere was clean and I meet some lovely people during my stay.

i cancelled my reservation before i even went. why dont you do a better job on your website

The staff hassled us about being a half-hour late on our checkout, like we'd committed some great crime. And when we tried eating our breakfast after checking out, we were constantly told that we're late, and were not allowed to eat in peace as the cleaning lady kept giving out to us about it, even though we said we'd clean up after. In no other hostel (and we've travelled to quite a few worldwide and in the UK) have we been hurried like this, and this is a bad experience.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Latvia

I was confused not to have a staff first, but if you look around on the board, it's easy to proceed (though, I'd mistaken about the front door code and the room door one, and I had to phone the manager.) He's accessible on the spot and very kind. It felt like I was staying friends' place; it's homey and comfortable. It was nice to get together with fe/male visitors in the common place in a comfy situation all day.

Location is right next to the train and bus station. About a half an hour walk to the lake. Facilities are cleaned everyday. Very nice place to stay as a couple. Wouldn't recommend it for large groups and not sure how often the codes on the doors are changed..

As stated, the hostel has no manned reception. So you won't see any staff at all if you're out during the day when the cleaning lady comes through. It was quiet and peaceful, but if we had had a problem we would have been screwed, since you could only contact the owner via phone and we had none. Other than that it was fairly average. In a good location and kept very clean. Breakfast was just corn flakes and bread with butter/jam.

Location was excellent, very close to station. Kitchen was nice as there were cereal, milk, tea & coffee. Atmosphere was good and the hostel was clean. However, the staff mixed up our booking and we couldn't find our room. Hostel was unmanned so we tried to call the staff but he didn't answer. While looking for our room we accidentally entered other people's dorm as the lock was of keypad. (So security wasn't ideal) Although staff phoned back and solved our problem later, it was inconvenient.

Nice and clean hostel that is close to the train station. Even though it was unstaffed it was a very friendly environment that self regulated so it was quiet at night. Hot showers that were very clean, although it could do with a toilet that is not in the same room as a shower as when people take long showers you can end up waiting a long time for a toilet. Location is great for arriving and close to the tourist information centre to give you a rundown on the town. Beautiful area to visit.

very good location. just minutes of walk to the station. comfortable bedding. very clean environment.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

This hostel is very good. The room was clean and also the bathroom. The kitchen was very good to cook or just eat a meal.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Water is too small for shower and sometimes water is too hot. There is not sufficient bathrooms to accommodate for 5 rooms. Waiting too long for the shower and toilet. Location is centered, near to the Windermere city centre and rail station. 15-20 mins walk to Windermere lake.

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Hong Kong

Good place to stay. You never really see any staff, but they trust you enough to leave you to it! The bathrooms were really nice and kept very clean. The breakfast was ok, it did run out one morning though. Would definitely come back.

Hostel exactly as described, great value for money and great location. Very chilled out relaxed atmosphere with everything you need to enjoy your stay - a bonus that tea, coffee and simple breakfast was provided by the owners! I would highly recommend it for someone who hasn't been to the Lake District before. My only criticism would be that there are only two bathrooms for the whole hostel and with several dorms it can make for a bit of hanging around in the mornings.

Our room was changed without any notice in advance. What did not make any sense was that we were taken from a dorm for 4 people and placed to another dorm for 4 people. If both rooms are for 4 people why change it ? moreover why moving my personel belongings on to floor ?

• 20th Jul 2014
  • Turkey

Very nice, extremely quiet and friendly. Nicest bathroom I've ever seen in a hostel, and the kitchen is big too. It's unstaffed, but when I had a question I was able to get in touch with the manager by phone incredibly quickly, so it doesn't pose any trouble if you have a phone. Great place!

It was a bit strange not having anybody at the hostel itself, but all the visitors were friendly, and it was super clean! (best bit) also the shared areas were comfy - overall a really good stay!

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

I booked a last minute weekend trip to the Lake District, and this hostel was the only one in Windermere that had a bed available. Reading the reviews, I was concerned about the security and cleanliness with the lack of staff. But I was pleasantly surprised! The hostel was extremely clean. There were only two bathrooms, but I never had to queue. The beds were also very comfortable. There were plenty of lockers in the lounge. The wifi wasn't very good, but it did work most of the time.

• 12th Jul 2014

Lake District Backpackers hostel is not manned, so I am not able to rate Staff, ain't I? WiFi does not always work in there. During my stay it worked in the mornings only for the first two days. The last day it worked is it supposed to do. Some backpakers were saying that showers do not mix hot and cold water very well and it is easy to get scalded (H&S issue!) but I was managing :)

It was a nice stay there.

• 5th Jul 2014