Lake District Backpackers Reviews

High Street, Windermere, Cumbria, Lake District, England

I enjoyed my stay here, however it ended on a negative note. Unfortunately I had some things stolen from me, mostly due to the fact that there is nowhere to lock your bag away. The room does provide some small cages that are lockable but they wouldn't fit much more than a backpack inside, and there was not enough cages for the capacity of the room. The sheets were changed between each user, but not the duvet covers. The shower in the upstairs bathroom floods easily. I never saw the owner.

• 20th Jul 2015

I was very disappointed in my stay at the Lakes District Backpackers. It's in a great location, but that's it's only real draw card. The facilities were very basic, and the rate of cleanliness was very poor. I didn't notice the shower cleaned once during my stay. I never saw the owner come to the hostel at all during my week there, and after trying to contact him regarding some of my items that went missing during my stay, he's never called me back.

Very uncomfortable bed. Squeezed in with lots of bags. Strange to not see any staff and just let yourself in and pay etc.

Staff were not there, it was all done via an honesty system. Bed was not made and I had no idea where to go. It seemed like the staff, if any, just couldn't care.

I purchased a spot in a 6-bed dorm but it ended up being a 7-bed dorm. This is unacceptable. Annoying that you must pay for lockers. Otherwise, mostly pleasant stay.

It's a different set up, I don't think I saw a staff member once. The place is small and clean but the system could use a little work. The print out of arrivals was never accurate so there was always a bit of confusion about room assignments. Never caused a major issue, just a little annoying.

Such a beautiful place, not really staffed but it's cool, everyone helps each other out and at the end of the day you're there to get outside and amongst the Lake District!

Alright hostel, there are no staff which is weird, you just put your money into a little box. Good location though, 1min from train station and close to buses. A big negative would be that we were double booked so at 10pm or 23:00 we were forced to move rooms with all our stuff, the same thing happened to a couple the day before us So all in all an ok hostel, not much hostel vibe and you will probably be overbooked

Very nice hostel! We really enjoyed the atmosphere there! Great location too! A really good deal for people who are looking for a great accommodation next to Lake Windermere!

This hostel works on an honour system. You deposit your cash money in a safe, are given a code prior to check in and then you are all set up! At first I was a little worried there were no staff around but you soon get used to it. Place needs a bit of a refurb - cupboard doors falling off, taps appear to be leaking in room onto carpet, however in saying that it was a good location, beds were comfy and water in showers was always hot (which is what you want after a long day of hiking!!)

Like other reviewers have mentioned, not having any staff there is a bit weird, but everything else about this hostel was really nice. The location is really good, and the bedrooms are good-sized with a sink in the room. It's a little annoying only have two bathrooms in the whole hostel, but it usually worked okay. Breakfast was simple but good, and free!

The hostel was not staffed at all which was somewhat strange, payments made by cash into a safe box. Would be better if you could pay by card

The location of the hostel is conveniently just 3 minutes away from the train station. I got really lucky and although I booked and paid a 4-bed room I had a double room for myself. You have to paid cash and the exact sum because the reception is unmanned and you have to drop the money into a safe. The kitchen and bathrooms are cleaned during the day and breakfast (cereal and toast) is provided. I definitely recommend the hostel for people who want to explore the amazing surroundings.

We found it a little odd that there is no reception and everything is done on a sort of do it yourself basis. It's perfectly ok, but would be nice to have someone to talk to if you have any questions or queries. The rooms are great, really comfy beds and there are sinks in the rooms, which is a big bonus. One down side was that there were no towels available for hire, even though it had stated that on the website. But overall it's good value, cosy and safe!

Positives - it was very clean. Cool common room with beanbags. Close to train/bus. A few walks posted downstairs. Negatives - 1 combined toilet and shower for the whole hostel. 1 power point in a 6 bed room. Need to know - You need the correct change because you pay in an envelope, not to a person.

View all Lake District Hostels