Lakeside Backpackers Reviews

18 Lake Esplanade, Queenstown, New Zealand

This was the nastiest, skankyest backpacker I've ever stayed at. Dirty, rundown, room the size of a closet with a weird smell and peeling paint. On a floor with three private rooms, shower constantly occupied by people from upper floor who left bathroom soaking wet from floor to ceiling and hallway carpet saturated, which apparently is the norm. Maintenance and cleaning by kids living there on work visas. Final touch was a bug crawling out of my food bag. Absolutely disgusting.

• 26th Jan 2016

This place is a dump. It's as if by calling it a 'backpackers' has given them the right to neglect the place. This place makes a public toilet look like a 5 star hotel. Room stank of mold, kitchen a health hazard, no staff and the piste de resistance was getting woken up by people knobbing in the bathroom.

They over booked so our room got upgraded.. AWESOME

Very dirty!!! Kitchen was very dirty and floor sticky. Counters not clean did not see a cleaner once in 2 days! Microwave blew sparks... Wall sockets did not work...

So dirty especially kitchen and bathroom. Facilities in kitchen didn't work mostly. Front door was never locked, felt very insecure. Wifi also didn't work even though we paid for it.

Worst hostel I've ever stayed in and I've stayed in a lot.. The location is great to be fair but that's about it. The chick who works at reception has never heard of customer service and is extremely rude. The hostel itself is very dirty and no one seems to care. The state of the kitchen was absolutely shocking and there was only one fridge for 15-20 people and it was disgusting! The facilities were very old and some appliances were broken but as I said before no one really cared...

The lady at reception was nice and welcoming and dealt with all my questions efficiently. The room was fine, bedding all seemed clean and fresh and the girls I shared with were really nice. Great location with lake view. Common areas and bathrooms however were dirty and there are only two unisex toilets and two unisex showers for all guests. I did not cook in the kitchen due to how dirty it was. A lick of paint and deep clean (& good cleaning thereafter) and this place would be much better!

Staff was friendly. Town and nature awsome. Hostel was little bit to unclean. In kitchen were to less bowls and cups. Bathroom was to small and not clean. No ectra toilett.

• 2nd Dec 2015

It is the dirtiest hostel where i have been. It looks like the cleaner comes only to change the bed's linen and the rubbish bag once a day.... There was very old and moldy food in every cupboards, as well as in the fridge, it stinks and sticks on every surfaces. I didn't wipe my dishes for the hand towels didn't look clean enough to do so.... I also hesitated a long while to take my shower, I finally removed quickly hairs, papers and others in one of them before using it. AN EXPENSIVE SHAME

• 18th Nov 2015

AMAZING! I really loved to stay at this hostel, beautiful and small, very nice time there!

AMAZING view of the lake, the cleanest hostel I've stayed in, and a wonderful kitchen. Staff were very helpful and friendly-- couldn't have asked for a better place to stay!

It was a cheep stay, in a hotspot in NZ. Great location, with a beautiful view, The rooms were fine. Kitchen and bath are clean, but worn out. I had a great stay, and if you want the cheapest, you should expect to get a five star hotel. I will recommend it, if you just need a bed and a shower.

• 30th Oct 2015
  • Denmark

I have stayed for 3 nights instead of 2, it's such a lovely hostel which has awesome view of the lake and snow mountain. It's also very clean and well organized. Just 5 mins walk to central, and if you are knee for some quietness during the night. This is a great choice!