Le Papillon Reviews

18 Vansittart Road, Torquay, England

Overall it was great, however, I did not like that you had to pay for the shower.

• 29th Jun 2015

We had a brilliant few days. No complaints at all, although hot water (other than in the shower) would have been a bonus. Will definitely re-visit. A colourful and happy house!

• 23rd Jun 2015

A beautiful little hostel with lovely staff, there really is nothing I could possibly complain about here. Well priced and more comfortable and pleasant than many hotels, in my opinion. One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in.

Thank you, we really enjoyed our stay in our private cabin in the garden, also the kitchen facilities were very good!

Very friendly, clean and good value for money.

one of the kind hotel decorated in bold crazy colours run by lovely german couple. Owner very helpful and kind. Great value for money.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Poland

I visited here with two of my friends for two nights. it's very nice,clean and lively hostel.Situated at excellent location just a five minute walk from the train station and coach station. This hostel has various type of rooms option not only dome like other hotels.They charge 50p to use hot shower for 10 mins. Staffs are nice and friendly. If you looking for budget and for short stays place in torquay then i would recommend to book this place. Thanks Mace(staff) for making our stay comfortable

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • India

Very nice and cozy hostel, everything is very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.The Location is good, you can walk to the city centre in around 15 minutes. We would go there again.

• 14th Mar 2015

Cosy rooms for couples and recently refurbished. Very clean with friendly staff and good atmosphere. Costs 50p for a good long shower. Have been before and this time went with my partner and she was as impressed as I was previously. As before I highly recommend this lovely hostel.

Pros: Hostess was accommodating and rooms were clean and obviously well taken care of Cons: location wasn't fabulous (20-25 minutes away from town) and there was something very off about the hostel…. i realize that I didn't stay in the peak season, but most of the lights were off when we arrived and we didn't see one other person while staying there. The atmosphere was not ideal. Also you have to pay to shower.

Hi thank you for your feedback Sorry but did you forget your glasses ? because a group of 18 people is really hard to miss. About the lights I am sorry but a guest must have turned them off as they are usually on during the night Tell me as you did stay in the garden cabin and not in the main house (which I told you you were welcome to use anytime) how were you able to judge the atmosphere? And yes there is 50 p. for a shower a truly original comment !!! Best regards Marga

Difficult check-in: had to wait outside a while for another guest to finally let us in. No way of contacting owner, a resident passed by and had to find her. Then told our cabin was double booked (could have been informed 3 weeks ago @booking). Given dorm with double bed (no extra cost) but was uncomfortable: @least 2 mattresses needed replacing. 25 mins walk to Strand convenient. V. Secure. Informed 50p for 8min hot shower - chanced it and had free hot showers both days. Overall average stay.

• 19th Aug 2014

Hi Alicia Sorry we didn't come up to your standard Check in could have been easier for you if you would have stuck to the check in times or alternatively had contacted me phone numbers are on your booking form. I gave you a private 5 bed room, if you thought that one of the mattresses was uncomfortable why did you not try another bed ? Well at least you had good luck with the showers and saved a whole 1 pound I hope that made your stay ! best regards Marga

Very clean, very nice staff, nice little cabin/shed in the back yard. Have to walk up to the main house for bathroom and shower(50p for 8 minutes..) but it's not a big deal.

Clean and in a convenient location about 10 mins walk to the seafront and 20 mins to the harbour and the shops.Stayed in the summer house at the back of the garden. We had to go to the main house for the bathrooms which was ok as we had nice weather. Could be a problem if raining. Wifi reception was intermittent due to it being in the back of the garden. Large car park. Overall would stay again but in the summer house only if the weather is nice.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

loved staying out in the wee garden sunhouse only disadvantage is if you are someone who needs toilet during night as rear entrance to main house hasnt got a code access so need to walk all the way out of garden and round to front door

• 11th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Very clean and comfortable. Will visit again!

This is a lovely quiet hostel with a beautiful large garden that catches all afternoon sun and good seating outdoors just beside the very pleasant dining room. Tidy and quiet within close walking distance to town centre and waterfront. I really enjoyed my stay here. Will come again :-)

Only thing I could say that the inner windows of the room could have had curtains. Felt a little uncomfortable knowing someone could have look into the room even if the glass was frosted.

• 2nd May 2014
  • Wales

Hello Bryan thank you for your very helpful feedback We have acknowledged your comment and all the windows have been fitted with blinds. Best regards Marga

Nice place, very sean an free wifi with all kitchen facilities.

The stay was very nice. Staff were super friendly and full of banter. The facilities were all there, just need to buy your own food from the local super market. Thanks for the lift we had and the jokes we shared! :)

• 22nd Nov 2013

It was indeed a homely environment in the hostel with friendly people, room was a bit small but very comfortable.

• 15th Oct 2013