Lera Surf Backpackers Reviews

31 de agosto 24 3 derecha, San Sebastian, Spain

Best staff ever. Loved my time there, San Sebastián rocks

• 16th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Crappy hostel. Anna the girl working was really rude. No atmosphere. It is basically just someone's apartment divided into rooms. No social area and the rooms are really hot. Also there was only one bathroom and one toilet between three rooms. It is in a really good location though and phillepe working there was lovely and very helpful. It is over priced though.

LSB isn’t a hostel—It’s a hard to find, 3rd floor apt w/ few guests & an absent, rude & silence-crazed owner, Ernie. Ernie is rarely present after check-in (incl. “check-out”, when deposits are allegedly returned). When present, he vigorously imposes quiet in the stairs & after 23hr, scolding guests & pointing to rule signs (one threatens eviction). The kitchen is locked after 23hr—roughly dinnertime in Spain. And don’t count on the free surf lessons—Ernie will suggest a friend w/ “good rates.”

• 25th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Lera Surf hostel is a basic hostel with just bathroom for everyone which sometimes is a pain, the location is excellent though and close to most things! Staff are hard to get hold of but ernie is helpful! Overall a comfortable stay

The facilities of this property was in rooms of a local family. They were present in the flat the whole stay. There were some rooms signed as private, but the bathrooms we used together with the family. We weren't allowed to use the kitchen, what was promised. Furthermore, the connectivity and the speed of the internet was very poor. It's known that this hostel got two different facilities, but we got the worst one, I guess.

• 18th Aug 2014

Perfectly located near the Playa La Zurriola, 5 min walking from the old town. I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere, since the Hostel is in fact a nice apartment where we found mostly surfers. Nice!

This hostel is situated right in the old town beside all of the bars and restaurants. My bed was very comfortable and there is good wifi and breakfast is provided. There are no signs at this hostel so have exact directions. There's also no lift so it's not ideal if you have a lot of luggage with you. The owner didn't seem very happy. Overall, I wouldn't say don't stay here, but I also wouldn't highly reccomend it.

We got to stay in the larger apartment owned by Ernie which is so much bigger than the one in the old town. It's is right by the beach and only a 5min walk into old town. This is a great place, it is very clean, Ernie is really nice, it has a great common area and the building is secure. Would definitely stay here again.

The only good thing about this hostel was the location and the summer employee Lucia, who was outstanding! She basically ran the place on her own and kept everything spotless. The owner is terrible and shows up randomly and asserts himself in the worst ways. Woke up one morning to a random man standing in the doorway of my room while the cops were interviewing the owner. Kitchen is closed after 11, breakfast is coffee and toast, there is no common area. Not worth the money, stay somewhere else.

Over priced for what you get! Very pokey, and the owner creates a tense atmosphere whenever he shows up. One morning we awoke to police walking through the corridors and a stranger (we guessed was the owner's brother) hiding in our dormitory. One of the few positives was the receptionist/ hostess Lucía who kept the place spotless and made us feel very welcome. She befriended many of the guests and was a pleasure to have around. The staff however change seasonally. Great location in the old town.

• 18th Jul 2014

Although the hostel is in a good location (if you can find it - there's no signs) it's a pretty bad hostel. Whilst I was there the police inspected the premises, I had arranged the manager Ernie to pick me up but he never showed up. It's over priced, there is very little space and hardly any common area to relax or socialise. The breakfast is toast and tea..for 34 euros a night I'd expect more. The only redeeming factor was Lucía (hostel host) but staff are seasonal...find a better hostel!

The hostel is in a good location and the volunteer girl there was lovely though the owner seemed nice then seemed to have split personalities and was rude, insulting and racist. Absolutely ruined the experience. He was also late when I needed to get my backpack out of storage causing me to be late for my transfer out of San Sebastián. The hostel is really hard to find, no signs just an apartment that they have chucked a few bunk beds in. Cramped living quarters too and €14 for washing!!!!

• 14th Jul 2014

Right on the beach, Ernie is a gent!

It was not an easy place to stay in. It was uncomfortable because we has restricted times using the kitchen, washing was SO expensive and had to pay for luggage storage. Also staff were never available, ended up having to let customers in myself then got in trouble about it. There is no common area to relax in and it was a small kitchen very cramped when we all wanted to chat/cook!

• 30th Jun 2014

Great, cosy hostel right in the centre of the old town. Only improvement I would suggest would be to have clearer instructions on how to find the hostel. There are no signs up and it can be very confusing.

Great quaint hostel with great staff! We got a ton of suggestions of what to do to explore the basque coast, met great people, and got a free surfing lesson from the owner. The free breakfast (toast and coffee) was also nice and it's located in between the two beaches and only a street away from all the best pinxto bars!

The guys and the hostel were amazing, after 15 years of international travel, its a real pleasure to find such a gem...:)

Had a really great time at this hostel. Staff was good. Nice and small place. Only draw back was they aren't always there to check you in and had to phone and wait out side for them to come.

Awesome place to meet people! With a capacity of only 12 people at a time it is very easy to meet other travelers (and mostly surfers). The kitchen is huge, clean and well equipped. There's free breakfast and food and a dining table to socialise. Ernie was really friendly in explaining everything and handed us maps and information. The hostel is amidst all bars and shopping possibilities, it's perfect to explore the most important spots by walking. Great place!

Extremely disappointed by the service. We stood outside the hostel door for 15 minutes trying to buzz in w/o an answer. Finally, when we were able to connect with the manager, he had said that he would be there "in a minute." We then proceeded to wait for half an hour before the brother of the manager showed up and let us in. Also, the female checkout lady had a lot of attitude and was very rude about getting us to leave even though we were promised a 12pm checkout. I expected much better.

• 17th May 2014