Lera Surf Backpackers Reviews

31 de agosto 24 3 derecha, San Sebastian, Spain

The only good thing about this hostel was the location and the summer employee Lucia, who was outstanding! She basically ran the place on her own and kept everything spotless. The owner is terrible and shows up randomly and asserts himself in the worst ways. Woke up one morning to a random man standing in the doorway of my room while the cops were interviewing the owner. Kitchen is closed after 11, breakfast is coffee and toast, there is no common area. Not worth the money, stay somewhere else.

Over priced for what you get! Very pokey, and the owner creates a tense atmosphere whenever he shows up. One morning we awoke to police walking through the corridors and a stranger (we guessed was the owner's brother) hiding in our dormitory. One of the few positives was the receptionist/ hostess Lucía who kept the place spotless and made us feel very welcome. She befriended many of the guests and was a pleasure to have around. The staff however change seasonally. Great location in the old town.

• 18th Jul 2014

Although the hostel is in a good location (if you can find it - there's no signs) it's a pretty bad hostel. Whilst I was there the police inspected the premises, I had arranged the manager Ernie to pick me up but he never showed up. It's over priced, there is very little space and hardly any common area to relax or socialise. The breakfast is toast and tea..for 34 euros a night I'd expect more. The only redeeming factor was Lucía (hostel host) but staff are seasonal...find a better hostel!

The hostel is in a good location and the volunteer girl there was lovely though the owner seemed nice then seemed to have split personalities and was rude, insulting and racist. Absolutely ruined the experience. He was also late when I needed to get my backpack out of storage causing me to be late for my transfer out of San Sebastián. The hostel is really hard to find, no signs just an apartment that they have chucked a few bunk beds in. Cramped living quarters too and €14 for washing!!!!

• 14th Jul 2014

Right on the beach, Ernie is a gent!

It was not an easy place to stay in. It was uncomfortable because we has restricted times using the kitchen, washing was SO expensive and had to pay for luggage storage. Also staff were never available, ended up having to let customers in myself then got in trouble about it. There is no common area to relax in and it was a small kitchen very cramped when we all wanted to chat/cook!

• 30th Jun 2014

Great, cosy hostel right in the centre of the old town. Only improvement I would suggest would be to have clearer instructions on how to find the hostel. There are no signs up and it can be very confusing.

Great quaint hostel with great staff! We got a ton of suggestions of what to do to explore the basque coast, met great people, and got a free surfing lesson from the owner. The free breakfast (toast and coffee) was also nice and it's located in between the two beaches and only a street away from all the best pinxto bars!

The guys and the hostel were amazing, after 15 years of international travel, its a real pleasure to find such a gem...:)

Had a really great time at this hostel. Staff was good. Nice and small place. Only draw back was they aren't always there to check you in and had to phone and wait out side for them to come.

Awesome place to meet people! With a capacity of only 12 people at a time it is very easy to meet other travelers (and mostly surfers). The kitchen is huge, clean and well equipped. There's free breakfast and food and a dining table to socialise. Ernie was really friendly in explaining everything and handed us maps and information. The hostel is amidst all bars and shopping possibilities, it's perfect to explore the most important spots by walking. Great place!

Extremely disappointed by the service. We stood outside the hostel door for 15 minutes trying to buzz in w/o an answer. Finally, when we were able to connect with the manager, he had said that he would be there "in a minute." We then proceeded to wait for half an hour before the brother of the manager showed up and let us in. Also, the female checkout lady had a lot of attitude and was very rude about getting us to leave even though we were promised a 12pm checkout. I expected much better.

• 17th May 2014

Located right next to San Telmo in the old town close to pintxos bars and both main beaches. Surfboards and wetsuits are available and at the best price you will find. Although it can be a little difficult to find the staff are helpful and relaxed. Would definately stay again. Big ups Ernie.

It was a good hostel in general, but I thought I'd d get a free surfing class and get to chat with other surfers there. But none of this happened. The hostel had nothing to do with surfing (during my stay in May)..

Great location, wonderful and helpful staff! Overall fantastic experience! I will definitely be returning to this hostel!

• 3rd May 2014

Great hostel. Great owner. Felt like home. Needs bigger sign out front.

It was a nice stay, the rooms are nice and quite big, the kitchen is small but clean. There's the possibility to store the luggages and wash your clothes but these services are expensive. The only problem we had was that we arrived at 8 in the morning and even if we knew that check in was at 11 no one had told us that we had to wait until 9 to get in the hostel.

• 20th Apr 2014

A great base for exploring San Sebastian with a really helpful staff.

Lera is small and you have to go up a few flights of stairs, but it is SMACK DAB in the middle of everything we wanted to do! Ernest, who ran the hostel, was really nice and friendly and helpful with telling us what to do and where to go. We had the best day after taking his advice! It is small so if you are planning to be at the hostel a lot hanging out, maybe this isn't the place for you, but it was perfect for leaving your stuff, the lockers were really big and it is very central! Loved it!

The only good thing about this place is Ramona attention, the rest is awful, It's not a hostel, it's an appartment where ther put lots of bed and charge you money.

View all San Sebastian Bed and Breakfasts