Leuven City Hostel Reviews

Ravenstraat 37, Leuven, Belgium

Leuven City Hostel is a great place. It's more like a hotel than a hostel. That's not to say that there's no atmosphere - the reception/living room/kitchen/patio area is an excellent melting pot and place to meet fellow travellers. The facilities are clean, functional and aesthetically pleasing. Cooking facilities are brilliant. Free tea and freshly-ground coffee until 8pm? Yes please. A simple breakfast - bread, cereal, fruit and a selection of spreads - but what would you expect? Love it here.

The hostel was quite clean and the location wasn't bad. On the negative side, I found it quite unprofessional that (a member of) the hostel staff complained to us about "making noise and waking her up" as we had entered the hostel relatively quietly, starting to get ready for sleep while exchanging a few words in a normal tone. Even though we were happy to have the breakfast, which was by no means a good one, it was annoying to realize we have to dish our dishes since the machine was broken.

This was without a doubt one of the best Hostels I have ever stayed at. I was very surprised at how clean, safe, and friendly it was. If you have to stay in Leuven, please stay at this Hostel. I will defiantly be staying here again.

• 10th Apr 2014

Well, on the toilet there is only a motion detector for the light. If you are doing bigger business, then it might happen that you are sitting in the dark since your moves are not sufficient to switch on the light again. In the bathroom at least I could tell the detector that I am still there. It is a bit strange, that in the toilet room there is no sink with soap. But ok, one can go to the shower room where you get soap and water, besides in each room there is a sink, too.

• 6th Apr 2014

The only negative was that our bed was a bit noisy--my husband and I shared the bottom, double bed in a bunk bed, and any time either of us turned over in our sleep, the bed creaked a lot. But that's hardly a deterrent to stay at this hostel! Overall, it was a great experience--very clean, very safe, plenty of parking nearby, and quite close to the restaurants, cafes, and bars in Leuven! Plus the staff was extremely friendly.

• 8th Mar 2014

The hostel is beautiful and the girl at the receptions is kind and helpful. But I was in a very tiny room ensuite, that they have filled with so many beds, and paying 24 euros for that is a crime. The hostel boss should be less greedy and put not 7 or 8 beds in a tiny room which can contain only 3 or 4 beds. Otherwise, reduce the price. There was no air to breathe in the night, and it was not possible to open the window. One guy was coughing and the after everybody was coughing.

Very Bad experience, Guy from the reception was really unfriendly, Reception isn't open for a large part of the day, At check out time, the guy from the reception will make you leave with your bag, since there is no storage, and all the facilities are off limits. (even if you want to sit on the couch on your computer untill your train leaves) There was nobody in the hostel so forget about social life.

• 21st Jan 2014
  • Belgium

it"s a very friendly hostel with a lot off facilities

the staff is not very patient, I think they have to understand that, for some foreigners many things are completely different from where we come from, then some of us need more patient explanations.

Cold showers 2/4 nights, dead hostel. You'd think they'd expect a bit of noise in a uni town. Should have a note before check in saying its a quiet hostel as we were constantly forced to whisper, Inquiring about laundry was told 'can't be bothered, too much effort.' Definitely would not recommend.

After a night out, me and another guest couldn't get in. 3 people tried to open the door, but nothing worked. Staff was not available for help. I am autistic and was hyperventiatig from fear. A neighbour heared me cry and came out to help. It took us half an hour to open the door. When I talked to a member of staff the next day, she answered that it happens more often, but hey, we got in eventually, so what was my problem?

• 4th Dec 2013
  • Belgium

Great, very flexible Staff!

We only stayed for one Monday in November so it's not best to judge the atmosphere on that. We found the staff very helpful, the hostel was immaculate and felt very safe. The only thing that was a little awkward was the check in times (Before 11am or 4-8pm) and the fact that we couldn't use the oven after 8pm, although given the fact that it seemed there was only a couple of staff working I understand the the reduced check-in hours. The oven seemed a little odd but it didn't affect our stay.

• 25th Nov 2013

We came to the hostel as a base to look for apartments in Leuven, and we staid for a week. The two managers were super nice and helpful in all matters, rooms are clean and cozy, the living room and the kitchen are how I would like my own to be! And they always play excellent music (80s-90s) :) And there is free coffee/cappuccino whenever you want! Definitely the place to crash if you have a low budget.