Light House Hostel Reviews

20 Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, Scotland

This was one of my favourite hostel stays to date. The homey atmosphere of the Light House really puts you at ease and makes you comfortable. The staff were welcoming and helpful, and the entirety of the hostel was always spotlessly clean. The area it's in is a bit of a jaunt to the big attractions, but Tollcross is FULL of nifty cafes and restaurants, and has a lot of charm itself, so don't discount that!

We are a retired couple visiting Edinburgh, so we did not expect high standards and facilities for elderly people. But we were quite delighted with The Light House Hostel. The location was great for us as I could easily get to my meeting and my wife could visit Princess St. and other shopping areas. We were in a mixed dorm of 6 beds and that did not pose a problem as there was an ensuite shower room and another one just outside the room. The other occupants were reasonably quiet.

• 20th Feb 2015
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

Very Friendly .....Kitchen really clean....warm...!!!!!!!!!!!

• 18th Feb 2015

This was my first stay in a hostel, and it exceeded my expectations. Everyone was very friendly, I felt very safe, clean, comfortable, etc. Would be a great place to settle for a week or so- The staff are very professional and helfpul. Very easy to feel like it's home. Great great find!

• 17th Feb 2015

The Light House was a lovely place to stay! While I at first was taken aback by the slippers (no shoes are allowed in the hostel), it really kept the place clean and gave off a calm, chill vibe. The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating and the other guests were nice too. It is a great location because there are pubs and activities around that area, but it's also only a fifteen to twenty minute walk to the Royal Mile and other great, "touristy" attractions.

Less is more! Small and very homey hostel, that makes you feel like a part of the big friendly family.

• 10th Feb 2015
  • Estonia

One of the best, if not the best hostel I have stayed at. I would recommend this to anyone spending time in Edinburgh. I know I'll be back whenever I'm in the area.

The only negative point is that all common spaces closes at 12pm.

Really friendly atmosphere and easy to meet people. Definitely like a home away from home.

This hostel had a very peaceful, relaxed vibe.

The Light House Hostel was definitely the best hostel I've ever stayed at. Ricky, who is the sole manager of the hostel, was polite, helpful and devoted to his hostel. The hostel is immaculate and the bathrooms in particular were of a very high standard. If you're ever staying in Edinburgh then I strongly recommend Light House Hostel.

• 4th Feb 2015

Better than any hotel I've ever been to. Got the most comfortable nights rest, and was central to everywhere I needed to go. The staff are SUPER FRIENDLY! Helped me with my itenerary! 10/10!!!

Amazing few days here with very friendly staff and lovely place to stay. Slippers for everyone is a lovely touch.

• 2nd Feb 2015

Would stay again. Cleanest hostel I've ever been to. Wish it was a bit closer to city center.

• 31st Jan 2015

I came alone to Edinburgh but i never was alone! I found some new friends in the Light House Hostel. We had a great time together and the staff was also really friendly. It was clean everywhere. Next time in Edinburgh I will stay at Light House Hostel again.

• 30th Jan 2015
  • Switzerland

This is such a lovely place!!! The kitchen, lounge, toilets and rooms are all clean and pleasant to be in and the atmosphere is great. Security is top-notch (everyone has a locker) and I've had my first good nights' sleep in weeks. One can definitely tell that the owner and staff care about the well-being of the guests.

Great hostel! One of the most plesant experiences we've had.

This is a lovely hostel. I very very liked. Good brekfast and good staff.

• 17th Jan 2015

Best hostel I've stayed in so far and I've done a bit of travelling. Staff are helpful and friendly, location is excellent, facilities are good and it's very cheap! First choice of I ever come to Edinburgh again!

• 17th Jan 2015

The Light House Hostel was possibly the best hostel I have ever stayed at. The staff was amazingly helpful and friendly! From the moment I arrived I felt like I was at home. The facilities are wonderful, great kitchen to cook in, a solid free breakfast, an awesome common area with a theater movie watching system, clean bathrooms (that are also really just ascetically pleasing), and great people. It was hard for me to leave at the end of my 4 days there! Definitely recommended!!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5