Light House Hostel Reviews

20 Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, Scotland

the breakfast was only toast and cereals, I would have hoped for a bit more.

• 13th Apr 2014
  • Austria

Great stay... Very helpful and nice crew. Very clean!

A nice and clean hostel at a very good location. I would stay here again if I wen´t to Edingburgh. The only downside is that there where only one bathroom per floor and in the morning you had to wait for your turn.

This has to be one of the nicest places I have stayed. There was a really nice chillled out atomsphere. The location itself is a little way out of the city centre but has good access via public transport is is within an easy walk of Haymarket.The hostel was clean and well looked after the all the staff were very friendly and willing to help where they could. I

Very comfortable and clean and lovely hostel!I definitely will back here if i have another chance to Edinburgh.

We had a terrific stay--comfortable beds, nice location and really wonderful staff--many thanks!

If your pampered ass has only ever experienced a hostel like this, then you haven't seen many hostels. Even the toilet paper in this place was vanilla scented. The thoughtful details in this place; having one's own key, rooms with locks, shower gels, bathroom spray, slippers, clean floors and of course the warm welcome are the kind of thing most people are thinking would be great when they stay in a hostel, but this place actually put into action. Five stars.

Great place, very welcoming and super clean and comfy. Loved the shoes off slippers in policy and the rooms were very warm and cosy. Great facilities and the staff are amazing.

Clean sheets, clean kitchen, clean bathrooms, clean house and for a decent price. Super nice staff. You get slippers when you enter the house, so no muddy and wet floors, great stuff. Good location, 15 minute walk from the castle (and then up the stairs you go). Not a party hostel, which I for one absolutely loooooved. We came home at around 1, others were still awake at that time, and still got a decent nights sleep.

• 22nd Mar 2014

Excellent value for money. It is a very well located hostel with nice rooms, bathrooms and common areas. In arrival be aware to take your shoes off and give a 10 pound deposit for the room keys. The hostel does have parking as stated, but it is actually either the street Pay and Display parking or an indoors parking a little bit far from the hostel, which charges 12 pounds for 24 h.

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Mexico

It has the complete package but you can't always get the days you want because it's fully booked so I quite often have to book elsewhere.

Lovely place. Owner and staff very friendly, nothing was too much trouble! Centrally located. I liked this place!!

We stayed in a six-bed-mixed-dorm for 2 nights. The house was nice and calm, with clean facilities. The breakfast was simple, but good. The hostel's location is great. There are buses going into the city and the stops are very close to the hostel. We had a wonderful stay there for the staff was very friendly and helpful too.

Great hostel with a guest house atmosphere. More chilled out than other hostels.

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed. Both the boss and staff are warm and helpful enough to let you feel it is your another home. And you can meet many friends from all over the world.

• 12th Mar 2014
  • China

Perfect location to get some rest after a hard day of sightseeing. The staff is very friendly and obliging.

Very Nice hostel! The atmosphere was calm and nice, the crew were good and friendly, clean and big bathroom, lockers with lots of space. It's not so far to go to the turistic points (I didn't spend money with public transport). I really recommend this hostel!

I really liked the shoes off rule, we don't wear outdoor shoes in our house, it is much cleaner. The kitchen was also clean but a bit cramped. We couldn't cook because there was a large party of guests cooking and eating in there and there was just no space. The free breakfast is basic but fine. Staff friendly and helpful. Very quiet hostel which is great after a tiring day of travel or sight seeing. Only problem is combined toilet and shower. A separate toilet prevents unnecessary queueing.

• 27th Feb 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

the hostel is nice although it is a bit small. Tha facilities are clean and it is in a quiet place.

This was my first hostel stay, but I could not have imagined staying anywhere better. All of the facilities were impeccably clean, the staff went above and beyond to make sure we had tickets to tours and everything we needed, and the beds were comfortable enough to make you want to cancel your plans and sleep all day. Not the closest to town, but there the walk is doable and there is a bus station close by. Will definitely be returning if I get the chance!

• 21st Feb 2014