Light House Hostel Reviews

20 Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great hostel for one night! Staff was ok. I would recommend this place if you are looking for a quiet hostel to stay in.

• 9th Sep 2014

I stayed a night at the Lighthouse but had to leave really early in the morning. Overall I think its a great hostel if you need a good nights sleep. I liked the smell of the hostel when I first checked in. The place felt nice and homely. There are a few things that could be improved as is with most hostels: That the people working there introduce themselves as working there or be mistaken for guest. Not good when you don't know who to check you out in the early morning.

cozy and clean hostel with amazing atmosphere, absolutely recommended!! the kitchen, lounge and bathroom are modern, well-equipped and cleaned everfy day. the "no shoe policy" made me feel like home (you actually receive textile flip-flops to use within the hostel, which you drop into a laundry bag when you walk out the entrance).

The staff is very nice and helpful,location is ok,easy to take the bus to airport,breakfast is good ,good choice to stay in Edinburgh.

Great place - clean, centrally located, brilliantly well-equipped and organized kitchen, free cereal/toast/tea and coffee breakfast included. One of the nicest hostels I've stayed at. Free lockers were an extra nice touch. Towel hire is available and WiFi worked fine. Quiet and respectful atmosphere. Close to central Edinburgh but not located on a busy street. I'd definitely return. My only complaint is that there were only 3 toilets/showers that I could see, and they were often all occupied.

• 27th Aug 2014

Clean and easy going hostel. Friendly staff. Would recommend and would return.

great hostel. highly recommend and i will stay here again when i go back to edinburgh.

Excellent hostel e staff.

Very comfortable stay. Staff were excellent with good facilities. Hostel was extremely clean and was great value for money. The atmosphere was relaxed and quiet during the evenings. Location was very convenient only 20 minutes away from Edinburgh Castle and the hostel was fairly easy to find. Definitely recommended for a quiet stay in Edinburgh.

The light house hostel is in a fantastic location to Edinburgh city central. It is very clean and has a homely feel, aided by the no shoes policy. Staff are very helpful and welcoming in the hostel. The kitchen facilities are amazing, good stock of breakfast and coffee are perfect to start your day. My only gripe is the shower/toilet facilities. There are 3 shower/toilets for the whole hostel so it can be tedious having to wait for either one.

• 15th Aug 2014

We were fine during our visit. However, the problem is that there are only 3 bathroom for all of us, so sometimes we had to wait for that... The staffs were fantastic with us showing the hostel, and telling us how to get to the places we wanted to go.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Spain

I can not say how wonderful the staff is at this hostel! My daughter and I were sick during our stay and the staff went out of their way to try and make our stay as comfortable as possible! They were fantastic!

• 8th Aug 2014

Had a lovely stay. Hostel is comfortable, clean, and staff were all extremely pleasant and informative with tips on places to go and things to do in Edinburgh. There was a wait for bathrooms in the morning, but this wasn't a big issue for us.

The Light house hostel is a great place to stay. Besides the fact that the house and the staff are great there are so many extras! At first there a millions of good movies u can watch in the Lounge on a huge Screen - ist like Cinema, you can borrow Adapters and get a free light breakfast in the morning. As shoes have to be taken of in the entrance area the whole hostel is very clean. Only tiny Thing is: there are to few toilets in the morning. Thanks for everything!

• 6th Aug 2014

This hostel was very nice and clean. The staff was very kind and helpful. It's a nice place to stay if you are staying with someone. Since I was traveling solo, for me the atmosphere is very important, and this hostel was not the best place for that, to meet people etc.

• 2nd Aug 2014

Lovely clean hostel, great communal space in the kitchen and living room. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Great hostel! Very comfortable and home-y vibe! I would definitely recommend it!

• 27th Jul 2014

Great place to stay! Comfy beds, full kitchen and awesome common area. Good place to meet other travelers too. This is not a party hostel which attracts people with a more relaxed vibe. A nice walk to all the major sights and can't beat wash and dry laundry for 5gbp. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

We had a room at the front (facing the street). As it was so warm we needed to sleep with the window open - the noise from the traffic was horrendous. However the hostel does offer free ear plugs, which does help a little. Also not enough bathrooms/showers - only three in the entire hostel means you have to wait quite a while for one!

Excellent hostel, couldn't ask for more!

• 26th Jul 2014