Light House Hostel Reviews

20 Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, Scotland

Really cold but I learned if you ask they are happy to give you an extra blanket. I really liked the guest slippers. Breakfast was nice to be offered. Staff were available (some quite new though). There was a problem with my laundry so they just didn't charge me for it which was nice. Overall it was a nice hostel. I, being a solo female traveller, got threatened by a guy also staying at the hostel, which was an awful and scary experience, but such is life sometimes with hostels.

great stay, welcoming staff

• 21st Aug 2015

I was generally quite pleased with my stay in this hostel but in my opinion the amount of bathrooms is too less for a fully booked hostel! During my stay one shower was out of order so that there were only 2 showers for all guests... I don't know how you could improve it but it was a disadvantage for me. Otherwise the hostel was really clean and the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly.

• 19th Aug 2015

Pleasant atmosphere and reasonable walking distance from Edinburgh Festival fringe venues.

• 16th Aug 2015

bathroom: shower failed when I was taking a shower. beds are superposed, and making some noise. Rather basic breakfast.

• 16th Aug 2015
  • Belgium

Overall I had a very disappointing stay at this hostel. The following says it all: The day before check out I wanted to leave the hostel to ejoy the festival and knew I wouldn't be back til quite late. I was due to catch a plane early the next day, so basically had to do check out before leaving that day. I explained this to 3 different staff members, one kept forgetting about me, the other was extremely rude about the situation, the third understood and I eventually got my key deposit back.

Upstairs shower (on our floor) was broken the whole time we were there so the whole place was short on showers. Staff were nice. Liked the slippers. Plenty of breakfast.

More bathrooms would be helpful. Four bathrooms is definitely not enough.

Appreciated the hospitality of staff and friendliness of guests. A bed mix-up was quickly resolved after we had retired for the night. We would consider staying again next time during the festival.

• 11th Aug 2015

.not really enough bathrooms as always there was someone waiting to get in. Good access to kitchen. I would have appreciated yoghurt and a piece of fruit for breakfast, but only bread and. Cold cereal to eat.

• 10th Aug 2015

A lovely friendly hostel, in walking distance of the main shoopping areas and tourist attractions. I will definitely be visiting again.

• 7th Aug 2015

You have to pay cash deposits for the key, and for each towel - why? Do you not trust your guests?... (Even though you have our payment and contact details). The shoes-off policy seems unnecessary. The showers could do with a good clean. Other than that, great location for our visit during Fringe and the Tattoo, and friendly staff!

• 7th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Really lovely hostel and was sad that I was only staying there for 1 night. The location is a 20 min walk from the Royal Mile. So, if thats not a problem definitely stay here!

Kitchen very clean.breakfast very god variety.

Great hostel aside from the location. But the location is no problem once you figure out the bus system. It's super clean and the staff are helpful. I'm staying at another hostel now because this one didn't have enough space for me, and I'm in a much worse position now! I wish I were staying at lighthouse for another night! The bathrooms are modern and clean but if you're not staying in an ensuite, you may need to wait a bit during the mornings to use the facilities.

A place where good to return at the end of a tiring day.

• 26th Jul 2015
  • Hungary

This was the best hostel I've ever stayed in. It was in a beautiful house, so it was more like staying in a bed and breakfast, although still for the cheap price of a hostel. The atmosphere was very homey and comfortable. The hostel was very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. There was a complimentary breakfast, and the wifi worked well. The only downside was that there were only 3 bathrooms for everyone to share, but the bathrooms were very nice and very clean.

I had a pleasant stay at Light House. The staff were very welcoming and helpful and things were explained well. The large dorm was quiet and had lockers, shutters for the window and dimmable lights. The front movie/ leisure room I'd spacious, light-filled and clean. I never had to wait for a bathroom. Kitchen was clean. Short walk to Royal Mile.

We enjoyed our stay. My brother's in university but I've graduated, so we wanted something inexpensive for him but more quiet, where people would not be loud and keeping you up all night for me, and this was just that. The staff and the owner were very friendly and helpful, and we met some nice fellow travelers as well. It's maybe about a 15min walk to the city center, but as a result the street was quiet. Initially concerned there weren't many bathrooms/showers but didnt end up being a problem.

Stayed in a mixed dorm ensuite, comfortable beds, generously sized lockers with build in lock provided in the rooms, plenty of warm water for the shower in the rather compact bathroom! Extremely pleasant and helpful staff, cleanliness was excellent. Definitely one of the better hostels I have stayed in

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4