Light House Hostel Reviews

20 Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, Scotland

This is the best hostel in Edinburgh ! This place is so peaceful ! This is the perfect place if you don't like noisy, partying, driking hostels. Perfect stay !

The staff are incredible. The common room has a computer you can use and the WiFi is free and available in the rooms. The beds are clean and the room I was in had a sink. The washrooms were clean. The lockers are bit finicky but if you read the instructions you'll be fine. I booked the day I was traveling into Edinburgh and there system still had me on file. Dependable. Clean. Friendly.

• 16th Oct 2014

Great hostel! Super friendly and helpful staff!

Myself and my brother had a very nice stay in the hostel, very welcoming from the minute we entered the hostel until we departed. Felt like a home a away from home. Good facilities, warm shower, comfy bed, very clean and a safe place & staff were very helpful with offering advise on place to eat, to see etc!! would recommend if visiting Edinburgh to stay there :)

The lighthouse had everything I needed for my weekend, comfortable beds, wi- fi, clean facilities and good breakfast spread. They also had an hairdryer and an iron, which was very helpful as I was going to a wedding. One drawback was that it wasn't the easiest to find, more detailed directions on the website would be very helpful.

• 9th Oct 2014

the light house hostel is a perfect hostel to explore Edinburgh with friends or on your own. The host was very welcoming and provided us with free towels and adaptors 😀 never been in such a clean and well equipped hostel! the town centre is easily accessable on foot and the hostel within a nice area. perfect place to stay in Edinburgh!

I was very impressed by this hostel; warm and welcoming, clean and cosy it was a true home away from home. The staff were relaxed and attentive, and though it was a little further out of the centre than some hostels it was still easily walkable distance from Prince's Street (10 mins). I would definitely stay here again if I was after budget accommodation in Edinburgh.

Very friendly place, the atmosphere is very familiar and cosy. A clean place and a kitchen where you can cook.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Romania

I really enjoyed staying in the hostel, the atmosphere was very comfortable and the owner very kind! I'll love being there again!

I stayed at Lighthouse for 3 nights over the duration of the Ryder Cup. The facilities were fantastic and Ricky and Staff were very very hospitable. It felt more like staying with friends than staying in just another hostel. There were 8 of us in total staying at the hostel over the weekend and all share my sentiments. It will be the first place i book when i return to Edinburgh! Many thanks Ricky and staff Ryan

• 28th Sep 2014
  • South Africa

Really nice and clean ahostel with a good atmosphere and in a good location. I really enjoyed staying there and I think it was one of the best hostels I've ever been to!

• 25th Sep 2014

Great hostel world. On the quiet side and tucked away from the hustle and bustle. They have 'rules' so if you are a party-type or are looking for a 'party hostel' I suggest elsewhere. If you want a good, comfortable night's sleep, I recommend this one. Although they do use a a lot of inscents and scented items, quite Zen. That would be my only complaint, is to cool it on the smells. They are nice, but a bit much.

Loved the home theatre. Staff very helpful. Nice place to stay. Would stay again for sure.

This was by far the best hostel we have stayed in as far as cleanliness, facilities and value for money. Staff we're lovely and very helpful. If we are ever in Edinbrugh again will definatly stay here. Highly recomended from us. Love the Kiwis xoxo

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

The best hostel I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. It is a home away from home. The beds were soft and clean. The kitchen was modern and bright, plenty storage space. The free breakfast was nic. The showers were hot and had good water pressure. The best part was the movie room, which had 400 instant movies in a comfortable lounge. Internet was free and fast. The only negative was that it was a bit far from Waverly train station, so I would recommend stopping at Haymarket instead.

access to toilet facilities was poor

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

Glad to be able to access Internet in our room. The staff was hard to find at times. Also, house slippers provided ("no-shoes" policy) were a major tripping hazard, especially for climbing stairs with luggage. A real pain to have to make up the bed for an upper bunk for only a single night, so I just slept between the sheets without putting them on the mattress and duvet. Also, finding additional guests sleeping on the floor in the lounge in the morning made it harder to check out quietly.

Very friendly and cozy, breakfast included. Very clean, and a great location.

We spent only one night at Light House Hostel, but it was the best hostel we found in Edinburgh. Perfect cleanliness, nice building and nice atmosphere and the owner and staff are super polite and relaxed. We would return there gladly!

• 16th Sep 2014

Absolutely great - very nice atmosphere, totally clean, great breakfast for a hostel, friendly people, close to center of Edinburgh - best stop for visitors in Edinburgh!

• 13th Sep 2014