Light House Hostel Reviews

20 Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, Scotland

Really welcoming staff, great atmosphere, good facilities. They had everything needed to make it feel like home from home!

• 30th Jun 2015
  • Wales

This was the best hostel I stayed in the UK. The girls working there were super cute, friendly and helpful. The dorm was clean and spacious with lockers. The breakfast was until 11am. there was a nice common area. It's 15 minutes walkinh to the main sights. Might consider adding sockets next to the upper berths and not having a so strict policy for late check in. Highly reccomended!

Only one toilet on the floor, but good location, lovely staff and nice atmosphere. A really good stay.

Lovely and clean hostel, what would have topped off our stay is, if the staff had a bit more local knowledge. But other than that, could not fault it amazing place.

"No shoes" policy is good for the cleanliness of the hostel. Kitchen well equipped and clean. Staff friendly and helpful.

I loved my time at the Light House hostel. It had a very comfortable, homey feel. The staff was excellent and very friendly. Overall it was a lovely experience!

Best hostel I've ever stayed in! The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and I will be staying there every time I go back to Edinburgh!

We enjoyed our stay at the hostel - it was a good base for exploring Edinburgh. They do advertise parking as a feature of the hostel, but in actual fact they don't have any of their own parking. There is free street parking if you can score a park on the road outside overnight, but during the day you'll have to pay. Not a big thing - but something worth being noted before booking.

One of the nicest hostels I've been to. Super-friendly staff and great atmosphere. Felt like a second home. Very good value-for-money with a (basic) breakfast included, free wifi, home-cinema-lounge-room. Not very spacious, but cosy.

A brilliant hostel. Staff always happy to go above and beyond. The owners obviously care about their guests experience in and out the hostel. First rate.

• 20th Jun 2015

I enjoyed my short stay and slept peacefully. I thought the cost represented very good value for what was included

• 18th Jun 2015

This is one of the few hostels that manages to balance being anti-party without becoming anti-social. Friendly staff and a very well maintained/furnished lounge and kitchen give the hostel a nice homelike feel. If you're looking for a place to party Edinburgh has plenty of alternatives. If you're looking for a comfortable hostel and a good night's sleep this one ranks near the top.

We stayed in Scotland for one week and slept in 5 hostels. This was the cheapest and best one! Very clean rooms good beds and friendly staff! Definitely going back to this one!

• 9th Jun 2015
  • Belgium

The staff was very helpful and let me check out early because my flight was early. I loved the easy to rest atmosphere, the barefoot policy, and the slippers. The location was actually pretty good, albeit a little tucked away. But it was within easy walking distance of The Meadows, which made the walk to Arthur's Seat seem really close. I would stay there again :)

The staff was surprisely kind and courteous and the whole place was really clean which is important also. There were a large community room with a projector and mediaplayer which was a big extra, sofas were really comfortable. The kitchen had everything what we needed.

• 5th Jun 2015
  • Hungary

Light House is clean and comfortable, with a few unpleasant quirks. 1. It would be much more friendly were there not a television in the common room. Many times I had hoped to hang out in the common room either to relax or to meet other guests and was greeted by some inane television show. This is not why I go on holiday. 2. The no-shoes rule is ridiculous. It's a hostel, not a hospital. 3. If you're on a lower bunk, headroom is minimal. 4. Nice neighborhood, but inconvenient.

There is a touch of personal kindness in the way the facilities are set up in Lighthouse. The foam that covers the ladders in the bunk beds makes it comfortable to climb up... the beds are of the better quality so NO creaking and shaking when one goes in and out of the bed. ... even the laundry service was good. and am glad the staff have their own place so the lounge is mostly for the guests... and yes, i enjoyed the projector movies ... glad I had the pleasure of Lighthouse.

• 5th Jun 2015

personal sockets would be great but it was okay. Nice living room with a lot of good films! Nice kitchen, clean and well-equipped.

A wonderful, cosy, homely hostel. The girls on reception went out of their way to make me feel welcome; the atmosphere was great, with peace and quiet in the dorms but plenty of chance to socialize with other guests as well (e.g. at the regular movie nights in the common room); and the facilities were excellent – the kitchen looked like it had been fitted yesterday! I strongly recommend Light House to anyone and everyone.

Didn't love the bathroom set up, but overall very nice