Lisetonga Hostel Reviews

Rua Ary Barroso casa 15, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Lisetonga is the best value in Rio! Te hostel has a great atmosphere, large and spacious dorms, plenty of common spaces, a tower with hammocks, wonderful breakfast (sometimes with freshly baked cakes, and super helpful staff. If I ever go back to Rio, I'm definitely staying at Lisetonga!

• 11th May 2014

This place is a gem! You got the feeling that you're sharing a beautiful house, tastily decorated with friends from all over the world! If you like details, that's the place for you! Absolutely love the fact that the book exchange is in the toilet, the colorful showers, that you have a tower with hamacs and a parrot in the living room :) Super friendly staff, great happy hour to give your night a good start, close to the beach and transport, nothing wrong to say! Go there and feel at home!

The best of Lisetonga is its staff, they are always willing to help and suggest the best options around. Another asset is the kitchen, you can really cook there! And great breakfast!

• 2nd May 2014
  • Argentina

Great atmosphere near the beach and secure location

OK hostel up in the hills below a favela. Felt safe the whole time, very nice people and great cheap food in the area. Staff helpful, good breakfast. Rooms only have fans and can become unbearable on a hot day.

Staff was extremly nice and helpful!

Nice atmosphere, i enjoyed the breakfast. Leme beach (liked it more than the main copacabana one) really close and the 100 m uphill more like an easy exercise than a hard walk! staff was really sympathetic and helpful, tried everything to make it as comfortable as possible for us guests! definitely recommendable :)

• 9th Apr 2014

Lisetonga is great. Stayed there twice for in total nearly 4 weeks. You meet a lot of friendly, open-minded people. Copacabana is just 5 minutes by walking. The hostel itself is clean and with very nice furniture. Staff speaks english. ATM just one minute away. Burgerstore just two minutes away ;-) I can say, besides one hostel I stayed in in Salvador, which was comparable, it was the best Hostel I found on my 2.5 months travelling here in Brazil.

• 23rd Mar 2014

One thing that I, along with the five friends who stayed there, was the fact that there often did not seem to be someone at the door, especially at night. Given the fact that Lisetonga is in a favela, even if a "pacified" one, this was still problematic. Also, for the quality of the hostel, the breakfast was rather lacking in comparison to other hostels of a similar price/quality in the rest of Brazil and in Rio (e.g., usually have more fruit options, fresh juice, etc)

I had high hopes for this hostel from previous reviews but when if arrived during Carnival week it did not meet those expectations. Some of the staff were friendly and helped accordingly, others could be rude or unfriendly. The atmosphere was self generated and not much provided by the hostel. It would be worth a return visit out of Carnival week.

Great location...but the street was a little noisy, as can be expected at carnival time.

Beds weren't very comfy. Good spot in a slightly grittier area. Good common area for meeting people.

This is a great hostel especially if u are travelling by your own, you will definetely meet amazing people. It's placed in a favela but it's really safe, you have police everywhere and if u don't want to take the hill by walking (can be a little annoying if u are tired) you just ask a motorist to take u for 2.5 reals, I highly recommend this hostel!

Great location and good atmosphere. Drinks at the hostel are well priced. If visiting, ask about the burger place for dinner. Rooms could use aircon and the cleaning lady could do with a smile on her face - she was generally rude and unfriendly. Showers are poorly designed so bathrooms floor is always wet and dirty.

I think the upstairs bathrooms need cleaning more frequently. They were quite dirty. Also the breakfast is poor, fruits and jams are covered by wasps that is not a nice experience...We had a quite nice room with 4 beds and with a small terrace which was nice. I had concerns about the security when a girl randomly came into the room starting to look for her stuff that she left there from the day before.. There are lockers in the room though. Overall it was an average hostel.

Hello Zsofi, thank u for staying with us. We clean all bathrooms various times per day. We believe that guests must contribute to keeping them clean and leave them as they would love to find them. At breakfast there is much more that fruits and jams. We dont' mind to invite a bee for breakfast we are dissapointed that you do. Safe home!

Friendly and helpful staff. Great breakfasts. Lots of bathroom facilities. Great exercise walking to the top of that hill!

The Best Hostel i´ve been in Brasil for sure!

One of my favourite hostels, and I have stayed in many. Good atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff. Happy hour is always a good time to get to know the other guests. The Hostel itself is a nice building, in a good location. The walk up the hill can be a little tough, but then again it helps to stay in shape, which is difficult when traveling and drinking most nights. The only down side, is the washing machine. My clothes, particularly the whites, came back dirtier than when they went in.

We really enjoyed our stay, its just how the reviews say it is. Its in a great location, it had anreally nice feel to it, the staff spoke english. We stayed in the private double room which was really nice and it was clean. We would go back if we were in rio again.

• 10th Jan 2014

I stayed at Lisetonga over New Year's (2013/2014) and had an excellent time. Security seemed good--you have to ring a bell to get in and there are lockers that seem relatively sturdy. Location is good--it's in Leme and up a bit of a hill, which makes it good instead of excellent. Staff and atmosphere is excellent--people were friendly, the hostel has a lot of character. Cleanliness was very good--bathrooms and dorms cleaned every day. I would stay again and would recommend Lisetonga to anyone.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels