Lisetonga Hostel Reviews

Rua Ary Barroso casa 15, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

OK hostel up in the hills below a favela. Felt safe the whole time, very nice people and great cheap food in the area. Staff helpful, good breakfast. Rooms only have fans and can become unbearable on a hot day.

Nice atmosphere, i enjoyed the breakfast. Leme beach (liked it more than the main copacabana one) really close and the 100 m uphill more like an easy exercise than a hard walk! staff was really sympathetic and helpful, tried everything to make it as comfortable as possible for us guests! definitely recommendable :)

• 9th Apr 2014

Lisetonga is great. Stayed there twice for in total nearly 4 weeks. You meet a lot of friendly, open-minded people. Copacabana is just 5 minutes by walking. The hostel itself is clean and with very nice furniture. Staff speaks english. ATM just one minute away. Burgerstore just two minutes away ;-) I can say, besides one hostel I stayed in in Salvador, which was comparable, it was the best Hostel I found on my 2.5 months travelling here in Brazil.

• 23rd Mar 2014

One thing that I, along with the five friends who stayed there, was the fact that there often did not seem to be someone at the door, especially at night. Given the fact that Lisetonga is in a favela, even if a "pacified" one, this was still problematic. Also, for the quality of the hostel, the breakfast was rather lacking in comparison to other hostels of a similar price/quality in the rest of Brazil and in Rio (e.g., usually have more fruit options, fresh juice, etc)

I had high hopes for this hostel from previous reviews but when if arrived during Carnival week it did not meet those expectations. Some of the staff were friendly and helped accordingly, others could be rude or unfriendly. The atmosphere was self generated and not much provided by the hostel. It would be worth a return visit out of Carnival week.

Great location...but the street was a little noisy, as can be expected at carnival time.

Beds weren't very comfy. Good spot in a slightly grittier area. Good common area for meeting people.

This is a great hostel especially if u are travelling by your own, you will definetely meet amazing people. It's placed in a favela but it's really safe, you have police everywhere and if u don't want to take the hill by walking (can be a little annoying if u are tired) you just ask a motorist to take u for 2.5 reals, I highly recommend this hostel!

Great location and good atmosphere. Drinks at the hostel are well priced. If visiting, ask about the burger place for dinner. Rooms could use aircon and the cleaning lady could do with a smile on her face - she was generally rude and unfriendly. Showers are poorly designed so bathrooms floor is always wet and dirty.

I think the upstairs bathrooms need cleaning more frequently. They were quite dirty. Also the breakfast is poor, fruits and jams are covered by wasps that is not a nice experience...We had a quite nice room with 4 beds and with a small terrace which was nice. I had concerns about the security when a girl randomly came into the room starting to look for her stuff that she left there from the day before.. There are lockers in the room though. Overall it was an average hostel.

Hello Zsofi, thank u for staying with us. We clean all bathrooms various times per day. We believe that guests must contribute to keeping them clean and leave them as they would love to find them. At breakfast there is much more that fruits and jams. We dont' mind to invite a bee for breakfast we are dissapointed that you do. Safe home!

Friendly and helpful staff. Great breakfasts. Lots of bathroom facilities. Great exercise walking to the top of that hill!

The Best Hostel i´ve been in Brasil for sure!

One of my favourite hostels, and I have stayed in many. Good atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff. Happy hour is always a good time to get to know the other guests. The Hostel itself is a nice building, in a good location. The walk up the hill can be a little tough, but then again it helps to stay in shape, which is difficult when traveling and drinking most nights. The only down side, is the washing machine. My clothes, particularly the whites, came back dirtier than when they went in.

We really enjoyed our stay, its just how the reviews say it is. Its in a great location, it had anreally nice feel to it, the staff spoke english. We stayed in the private double room which was really nice and it was clean. We would go back if we were in rio again.

• 10th Jan 2014

I stayed at Lisetonga over New Year's (2013/2014) and had an excellent time. Security seemed good--you have to ring a bell to get in and there are lockers that seem relatively sturdy. Location is good--it's in Leme and up a bit of a hill, which makes it good instead of excellent. Staff and atmosphere is excellent--people were friendly, the hostel has a lot of character. Cleanliness was very good--bathrooms and dorms cleaned every day. I would stay again and would recommend Lisetonga to anyone.

First at all on arrival the guy at the reception was very rough. Rick spoke really quickly and told all the things in very demanding way... I asked for an adapter and he told me that backpackers before stoled this all day. That s the reason they don t offer anymore. Then the owner at least gave me one. Also the computer broke down and they didn t repare or exchanged it. The mattresses were plastic, not nice to sleep on. And also the owner - not Lise - was kind of arrogant. Bad atmosphere.

Hello, Thank you for staying with us. It is a very unfair review. The hostel does not have the obligation to give adapters. But when we have we give to the customer of course. We buy a new computer to be delivered the day 19/12 but company delivery late, is not our fault. We did our part of buying a new one. Thanks for everything and enjoy it your vacation. Lisetonga

Very good hostel. Nice place and excellent cost-benefit! The cheapest hostel in RJ. Althought this is very clean and have a good atmosphere and very sympathic staff. The only problem is the way to get there: a long hill. It is not a very easy journey. But at the same time the location is very good, next to the Leme-Copacabana beach and in the middle of a "favela". The tourist can know the reality of Brazil and find some cheap beers an d parties at the favela´s bars.

Hi and thank you for staying with us and for the kind words. We just must clarify :-) that we are not in the middle of a "favela". We are close to one, that's it. But yes we are excellent cost - benefit, great staff and all the rest. :-) Thanks again and have a nice trip.

Really enjoyed my stay, location was sweet, place was clean, good facilities and staff were great! Especially the American guy whose name I'm sorry I've forgotten and Alva was lovely too! Taught me how to say 'can opener' in Spanish, something which came in useful! Ha

Great stay. Although fully booked they went out of their way to get us a place to sleep. Clean, comfi beds. Spacious, clean bathrooms. Beautiful place. Breakfast could've been a bit more extensive, not bad at all though. Definitely a place I would recommend.

We really enjoyed our stay at Lisetonga. Located at the edge of a favela but is a safe, friendly and vibrant neighbourhood. Lots of local kids running around etc, music school near as well as a few different community projects. Gives you an idea of the sort of area it is. Short walk to Leme beach (nice), local shops etc. Great kitchen for own cooking. Helpful staff with all the info you need for fun in Rio. They were booked up one night so we went to Chill Hostel up the road as well, was good.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6