Little Mao's Hostel Reviews

No.16 Shatanhoujie, DongCheng District, Beijing, China

Check in was terribly slow. Took 30 min. to check 4 people in. We got a room where a guest smoked. Our whole room, sheets, blankets, everything smelled like smoke, even though in the hostel it says smoking is not allowed. The employee didn't mention anything to this guest and didn't want to give us another room, even though a lot of rooms were still available. The guy was also very aggressive and couldn't communicate. There was also shit on the toilet and bathroom was disgusting.

• 5th Mar 2015

The hostel is supposed to be non-smoking but our room reeked of smoke and there were cigarette butts in the trash. The shower had bits of mold in the corners. The staff was helpful but it was hard because of the language barrier, our poor guy had a hard time speaking to us. But it all worked out in the end. The location seems nice on paper (city center near the Forbidden City) but it is actually pretty inconvenient because it's down a small alley and far from any subway or bus stops.

NO ENGLISH SPOKEN!!!!

I booked a week's stay at Little Mao's hostel and my plans changed so the day before I was to arrive I called them to cancel my reservation. However, they don't speak English so I asked my Chinese friend to call them and it turned out that they had NO RECORD of my booking and said they were FULL! Even after paying the flexible deposit protection I wasn't entitled to a refund for my deposit....WHAT A JOKE!

Very nice staff. Only one lady spoke fluent English. They were willing to hold our baggage on our last day. Location is a bit far from the subway and some cabbies don't want to go there. It is a 20min walk from the big locations. Within 13rmb base fare to Houhai, Mao Livehouse, etc. Overall very good location. Clean. Quiet. No common area. 15rmb/kg laundry service. They will arrange tours to the major destinations. Cheap plentiful Chinese breakfast and snacks on this street! Best mantou.