Livingstone Backpackers Reviews

559 Makambo Road, Livingstone, Livingstone, Zambia

Livingstone Backpackers offers budget accommodation, and is well located in Livingstone. There were however several things that led to us having a poor experience. Foremost amongst these were: the standing water on the property attracting mosquitos, the rotting fruit (mangos) left lying around the property leading to a pungent smell and attracting insects, the pool was slimy (not properly cleaned/maintained), and the room was extremely hot. We will not be returning. A night in a tent is better.

• 6th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Great place! Used it as a stop over on the way to and from Victoria Falls. Location is ideal, safe and the vibe is relaxed with friendly staff who make you feel so welcome!

• 29th Dec 2014
  • Zambia

The hostel was a great place as a base for going to the falls and doing safaris and the staff were great at getting the tours booked at very short notice. The hostel has a great atmosphere with a large seating area in the bar and around the pool for socialising and meeting new people. The location is great due to it being just off the main road with lots of places to eat and supermarkets to buy food to cook in the outdoors kitchen at the hostel although I didn't use it but it seemed clean.

Livingstone Backpackers was an awesome experience and place. Friendly and helpful staff, affordable rates, beautiful scenery, mango bombs (I could never get used to the falling mangos' loud bangs on the roof!), meeting new people. I appreciated the constant cleaning and general cleanliness of the place. The bunk beds need to be made more stable though, squeaky with every move, and I should know, I moved rooms 3 times in my 8 nights there. Thumbs up, Bomb Squad!

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Namibia

What I like most about Livingstone Backpackers will have to be the staff members, whom are all incredibly friendly and know you by your face. They go out of their way to help you out, ensuring that you have a great stay. What needs to be improved is definitely the facilities. The 4-bed door rooms are tiny, with no room to move around and store your luggage. Additionally, the beds are very uncomfortable, and the mattresses very much worn down. Additionally, I think mosquito nets would be great.

• 24th Dec 2014

The best part about the place is the people working there. They were all really fun and friendly and accomondating, and even went so far as to help me out when the standbic bank stopped accempting my VISA. I would definitly stay here again if I was ever in livingstone again.

• 20th Dec 2014

Good value 4 bed dorm. Wifi was good quality (for african standards). Friendly staff and well priced drinks.

• 10th Dec 2014

Beautiful gardens, friendly staff, good place to meet people. Jean Jacques

29 nov. 2014 Beautiful pool and gardens (large space). Excellent facilities. Staff number 1. I didn*t like, though, the adjacent private place. (probably, independant from the Livingstone Backpackers.) They hired many people to take care of the Hostel. Super! I was lucky because I had the whole dormitory for myself. (Maybe low season) So, I recommend this place. Excellent choice. Jean Jacques

Livingstone BP was a very nice place to stay also for a woman of my age (56☺). It was cosy, clean in na warm atmosphere with very kind people. I had a lovely two days! Love Hanneke

• 19th Nov 2014

Very nice atmosphere here. Pool is lovely for a swim, but bottom is always very slippery so be careful. Only thing I really didn't like was there is only 1 key for each room, even in the dorms. It's fine if people are doing things at the same time, but my room the door had to be locked to stay shut and 1 morning one of the other guys in the dorm left early and locked it from the outside, locking me & others in. Since I couldn't see anyone I had to climb out the window to get out of the room.

Staff is friendly and location is ok. Showers and bathrooms are filthy. Shower head is clogged with so much mineral deposits that each water stream shoots in a different direction away from you in the shower. It costs maybe $3 to get a new showerhead. Also, I was bitten by MANY bedbugs. I know it wasn't mosquitoes because I used a mosquito net.

I would recommend putting soap in the shared bathroom sinks. Also, the rooms got very hot and the one fan does not oscillate, so it is still quite hot. There are not enough mosquito nets for all of the beds (4pax dorm). The person checking us out did not have my hostelworld.com payment receipt, therefore I had to dig it up myself on my email. Even then, when I said we owed an additional $17.50 each after the deposit had been paid, he asked us to pay $18 just because it was more convenient.

I had an absolute blast at the livingstone backpackers. Never met more welcoming staff, the room was perfect (although a little hot in October!) and everyone I met there was really cool. Even had the football on TV! Highly recommended.