Loch Ness Backpackers Reviews

Coiltie Farmhouse, East Lewiston, Drumnadrochit, Loch Ness, Scotland

I had an amazing time. It was completely empty so I got to have a night of reading, drinking wine and not having to see another person for hours and hours which is exactly what I wanted. The owner can tell you anything you need to know and the location is great for all the little hikes and excursions you could want. I climbed, I hiked, I walked, I relaxed. It was perfect.

Really enjoed our stay in Loch Ness Backpackers!! Thank you so much for everything: for hospitality, advice and provided facilities!! The best place ti stay! and the best place overall during our trip to Scotland!

Super-friendly staff and wonderful quiet location, yet very convenient to grocery store and to Loch Ness boat trip offerings and Urquhart Castle. As we were traveling by car, we were very happy to have free parking right outside! Centrally located to explore east to Inverness or west to Fort William.

I'm glad i only stayed for one night. The dorms are in outside outbuildings almost like converted horse stables! The heating is controlled automaticaly on a timer and went off during the night - the room was freezing in the morning. No carpet, cold floor. No atmosphere, even in the main house. It has a bar, but it never seems to be open. Not a nice place to stay.....it could be so much better!!

We Cannot justify opening the bar when we only have a few guests in as bar staff can stand around all night to sell 2 drinks. When you check in the staff show you a map with all the local hotels and bars , the closest bar and restaurant only a 200 metre walk from the hostel. The heating control in the room is controlled by the guests in the dorm room it is on from 4pm at night until 10am next day. Low season is quieter I cannot control that.

everything about the hostel was good, except the other people I was traveling with and I, didn't like that there is a shared guys and girls bathroom where you're all using it at once

The bathroom was dirty, especially the showers, with not even a door to separate it from the hall. The toilets were separated from the bathroom by only some partitions that didn't even touch the ceiling and the ground, so it was quite impossible to have a minimum of privacy. A kitchen too small for the amount of customers and tiny, creaking beds made our stay even more uncomfortable. The only good points were the location and the dining room, which was surprisingly big and comfortable.

We clean the showers and toilets regularly , unfortunately if they are busy and others do not leave the showers as they find them. The other toilet and shower block have more private facilities if you had asked we could have directed you to them. There are 2 kitchens available for guests toi use if the first kitchen was busy. The creaking bed issue will be dealt with immediately in the room where you stayed I was not aware of this so thank you for letting us know.

Door locking didn't work. Noisy ambient, we would have rest early but there were people (mostly staff) playing karaoke. Cleanliness of kitchen and dining room very poor: dusty bed covers. Only one toilet for all of people in external dormitory, that was very busy. Toilet became dirty very fast.

The door had chewing gum pressed into the lock which we have fixed now. The bed covers are washed after every use but if you put rucksacks on the bed it will put dust on your bed. There are 5 toilets across 2 shower blocks and a separate toilet and sink in the bar toilets. We clean the toilets regularly unfortunately in August we have many walkers using the facilities and we do our best to keep on top of the cleaning however it is a hostel where guests are responsible to clean up after using.

The room, bathrooms and kitchen were clean. But the bathroom and the kitchen were in a different building, so we had to cross the garden to reach them... This wasn't confortable at all, as Skye is a cold place even in August. About the staff: the spanish girl was kind and friendly. The other girl (can't remember her name) wasn't at all. She even shouted at us, because we didn't do the washing up immediately. In my opinion, doing it after 5 minutes wasn't such a terrible thing!

Best hostel I've been in so far! Very cozy atmosphere and absolutely fantastic staff. The prize for a night was extremely low (in my opinion) and still you get good service, number 1 facilities etc.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Finland

The hostel is perfect for exploring the Scottish Highlands. The village of Drumnadrochit is about a 20-minute walk and the shore of Loch Ness a beautiful 20- minute woodland walk. Bathrooms and kitchen were clean and well-equipped. Staff was helpful and friendly if slightly confused sometimes. Our two-bed private room was quite smakk but nice although the bed was squeaking. A picknick table is in the front garden, sat there every morning.

• 18th Jul 2014