Lodge In The City Reviews

152 Taranaki Street, Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand

We found the room clean but the kitchen cleanliness was poor so we didn't eat there in the end.

the place, is really dirty! the washing machine, doesn't work the kitchen is the worse i have seen in all the hostel in new zealand! First day when i get there, the girl at the reception tell me that: "we lost your booking" they literally lost all the email!! really not organized hostel, the bathroom are really old and dirty, there is mouse in the kitchen, and i get stuck in the lift first day, and is really unsafe!! a lot of drug and alcool strange people and no control of alcool abuse.

I put average because we did not go in that hostel. While checking in, the guy told us we have been sent in another hotel coz lodge in the city was full. We were 3 people and He gave us one card/key only. Arriving at the hostel, the card was not working so we had to come back at the hostel (1kms walking distance) to get another one. So the check in was not good. Afterwrd, the rooms of the hotel we ve been sent were nice and not that far from the city center.

Me and my partner booked into the hostel for the New Years period. It was booked as they have parking available (Limited). We firstly had to wait for a long time just to check in due to the fact its is massively under staffed...One person to do everything and there are around 4-500 beds in the hostel. After eventualy checking in and going to investigate the hostel we found the bins were over flowing with rubbish and the floors were disgusting. There was no space in the fridges.Run out of spc

• 30th Dec 2014

dirty, not enough bathrooms, dirty bathrooms, dirty kitchen

I've stayed in a lot of hostels in places like Southeast Asia and Central America and none were as dirty as this place. Not only was it filthy and our room smelled like a mix between death and incense, we were woken and kept up at 3 am by people loudly partying in the hallway (of the private ensuite floor) just before they broke a glass picture frame after punching it and then yelled at my husband for asking them to quiet down. Worst hostel I've ever stayed in. Stay away.

The kitchen is not enough for all the people in the hostel, so it is always a mess, despite the effort of the staff to keep it clean. The fridges are just disgusting. It is an old building which has almost no mantenance at all over the years (that´s what can be seen), so bathrooms are not fully working and some leaks are inside the building. Location is good, and the staff is friendly. Definitely it is a big price for the low quality of the hostel, worst value for money!!!

Proximity to the city centre was the only plus. Bathrooms were dirty and not just in need of a quick clean. Bunk bed was wonky and not suitable to sleep on unless you wanted a bad back. Should be made more obvious that you have to pay for parking. Hostel felt dirty.

There are many things they could improve! The rooms weren't really clean, the kitchen was a big mess with bad equippment. For that price, we didn't expect too much, but it was even worse. We changed Hostel during the time in Wellington.

It's cheap but therefore it's pretty dirty and not very comfortable.

• 25th Nov 2014

Lodge in the city gives a impression of beeing very sheep when you read about them, but they have some strange fees that makes it more ekspensive than you firsth think. The one thing I liked about this place where the madrasses, they where thin, just the way I like it. This place needs some upgrading

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Norway

The bathrooms and showers are very dirty and kind of disgusting. Everything else was OK.

• 15th Nov 2014

The staff wasn`t friendly, so it didn`t help the atmosphere. Hostel looks really dirty and the room doesn`t look nice at all (blood on the curtains, white spots on chair, disgusting ceilling and smelling bad). We didn`t have even good sleep, cos whole hostel was noisy, until 4 am. It doesn`t worth the money and I wouldn`t recommend this place for stay.

I have travelled for many many years now and there have been quite some budget hostels but none was ever as horrible as lodge in the city. Worst twin room ever but more imortant the bathrooms were horror! They could not have been more dirty: hair and dirt everywhere. And besides the staff was extremely unfriendly. NEVER AGAIN! I need to add that i have never left any comment like this. But i want other travellers to enjoy their stay in Wellington

not safe gve us the room rm# and crd bt u cn open and closed without the crd happens to us 4 times been running up and down trying to sort our room i ws tired as coz i ran down to tl her and gve us another rm faild coz the rm no# she gve us ws olready taken bt she cme and opend it and said its wrking and we tl her that theres a lady cme out frm that room. and gve us another one it ws good bt wen we n bed redy to slp 1 of the lady opend it and said oh is this rm taken? lucky shes not a STRANGER!

• 1st Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

The hostel was very dirty. Usally I just need a bed and a shower. That's it. I can sleep everywhere. But this one was dirty and disgusting. Don't pick it just for saving 5 Dollars if you don't have to. Believe me, I thought i could handle it, but i couldn't

No free parking space.

The cheapest hostel in Wellington, has a great location near Cuba St and the reception staff were very friendly. I personally only stayed here because my friend was here and we were meeting up. The room was on the main road, noisy windows that didnt appear to close properly, not the cleanest, curtains didnt shut all the way either... got stuck in the lift, bathrooms defo not clean, no toilet paper and even tho I asked at reception it still wasnt replaced an hour later! Large rooms so not cramped

Pretty gross. Also, make sure you spare an hour or so for check in (or any tiny thing you may need from reception)- the SLOWEST guy in the world. I guess it's pretty close to Cuba Street though..?

If you just want a place to get your head down then this will do