Lodge In The City Reviews

152 Taranaki Street, Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand

Renovation of the Bathrooms urgently necessary!

In short, your discussion to stay here should depend on what is important to you. If you want somewhere clean, quiet, calm, well staffed and organised, don't stay here. If you want somewhere cheap then do it. Cheap was more important to me, so it was fine, otherwise take stock of what matters to you and perhaps look elsewhere. Parking is terrible though, it was a harrowing experience.

Horrible hostel , the staff was friendly but not happy about what I got for what I paid

though very busy, staff were helpful & when I needed an extra night, very accommodating. Stayed in a single room .. basic but acceptable, bed comfortable & on the 3rd floor. [ trick is to make sure you get a room that doesn't overlook taranaki st ...:-) V. good value

• 11th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

This hostel was falling apart. Very disgusting on the inside with hair covering shower floors, flooding in bathrooms and doors that did not lock. Bedroom had a few long term people so rubbish and clothes were all over the floor. We were staying over a weekend that had an big event in the city and had to pay $40p/p for a 10bed dorm. Reception were very rude and didn't want to help or give any advise.

• 5th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Rooms are disgusting, bathrooms are horrible but found the staff nice, the cost wasn't overly priced and always got a hot shower, a bonus at some places. A lick of paint and bit of maintenance and it would be a nice place!!

• 5th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

took one look at the kitchen and decided to leave our food in the boot of our car and eat out. FILTHY. beds on ground floor dorm not comfortable, and noise from outside about 6am really bad - building works? staff ok but rather indifferent only positive thing was that sheets were clean. wished we had paid a little more for a place where people were more considerate

We found the room clean but the kitchen cleanliness was poor so we didn't eat there in the end.

Everything was just average...the staff, rooms, facilities. Not filthy or horrible, but nothing impressive, worth the cheap price if you're trying to save money. What I HATED was that I had camping gear stolen and someone had obviously gone through my pack. This is the first time I have ever had anything stolen in a hostel. The rooms were locked like normal and I had made sure to put everything away and out of sight. I Can put up with inferior facilities and services, but not bad security!

The hostel was in a good location near the heart of wellington and within walking distance to many shops, restaurants, nightlife and other attractions. Realistically the location is the only good thing going for it. The staff at the front desk were slow and while somewhat helpful they appeared to not really care all that much. The hostel wasnt dirty per se, but was by no means clean either. if all youre looking for is a cheap place to crash stay here, otherwise i wouldnt recommend it.

the place, is really dirty! the washing machine, doesn't work the kitchen is the worse i have seen in all the hostel in new zealand! First day when i get there, the girl at the reception tell me that: "we lost your booking" they literally lost all the email!! really not organized hostel, the bathroom are really old and dirty, there is mouse in the kitchen, and i get stuck in the lift first day, and is really unsafe!! a lot of drug and alcool strange people and no control of alcool abuse.

I put average because we did not go in that hostel. While checking in, the guy told us we have been sent in another hotel coz lodge in the city was full. We were 3 people and He gave us one card/key only. Arriving at the hostel, the card was not working so we had to come back at the hostel (1kms walking distance) to get another one. So the check in was not good. Afterwrd, the rooms of the hotel we ve been sent were nice and not that far from the city center.

Me and my partner booked into the hostel for the New Years period. It was booked as they have parking available (Limited). We firstly had to wait for a long time just to check in due to the fact its is massively under staffed...One person to do everything and there are around 4-500 beds in the hostel. After eventualy checking in and going to investigate the hostel we found the bins were over flowing with rubbish and the floors were disgusting. There was no space in the fridges.Run out of spc

• 30th Dec 2014

dirty, not enough bathrooms, dirty bathrooms, dirty kitchen

I've stayed in a lot of hostels in places like Southeast Asia and Central America and none were as dirty as this place. Not only was it filthy and our room smelled like a mix between death and incense, we were woken and kept up at 3 am by people loudly partying in the hallway (of the private ensuite floor) just before they broke a glass picture frame after punching it and then yelled at my husband for asking them to quiet down. Worst hostel I've ever stayed in. Stay away.

The kitchen is not enough for all the people in the hostel, so it is always a mess, despite the effort of the staff to keep it clean. The fridges are just disgusting. It is an old building which has almost no mantenance at all over the years (that´s what can be seen), so bathrooms are not fully working and some leaks are inside the building. Location is good, and the staff is friendly. Definitely it is a big price for the low quality of the hostel, worst value for money!!!

Proximity to the city centre was the only plus. Bathrooms were dirty and not just in need of a quick clean. Bunk bed was wonky and not suitable to sleep on unless you wanted a bad back. Should be made more obvious that you have to pay for parking. Hostel felt dirty.

There are many things they could improve! The rooms weren't really clean, the kitchen was a big mess with bad equippment. For that price, we didn't expect too much, but it was even worse. We changed Hostel during the time in Wellington.

It's cheap but therefore it's pretty dirty and not very comfortable.

• 25th Nov 2014

Lodge in the city gives a impression of beeing very sheep when you read about them, but they have some strange fees that makes it more ekspensive than you firsth think. The one thing I liked about this place where the madrasses, they where thin, just the way I like it. This place needs some upgrading

• 20th Nov 2014