Lodge In The City Reviews

152 Taranaki Street, Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand

Considering the cost, I was expecting better. The toilets were not that pleasant (in that other guests didn't always flush/the toilets themselves didn't always flush). I only stayed briefly, so maybe I didn't get to experience all of its good points. I had little staff and other guest interaction which is why I've rated those as average. The location, however, is pretty great, super close to the inner city.

Terrible, just terrible. Toliets have not been cleaned in ages. Also many toilets's locks doesn't work properly. French lady who works at reception not helpful at all, rude towards customers and could not give me directions of the city. Kitchen small for the amount of people that is staying at, and also kitchenware is not enough only two glasses. Only stay here if you want to go cheap, but be prepare to pay the price.

• 26th Apr 2015
  • Argentina
  • All Male Group, 18-24

HAPPY WITH ACOMADATION LOCATION GREAT COULDN'T SLEEP AS EARLY FLIGHT OUT OF WELLINGTON WHICH WOULD BE NORMAL !

• 8th Apr 2015

It was an ok stay for the money. The bathrooms were two floors up from our room which was annoying. The kitchen was quite old and dirty, the pots and pans were not clean really. Great location being just round the corner from Cuba Street.

• 1st Apr 2015

The Lodge is well located close to central Wellington, but it's facilities are not up to scratch at all. Most of the toilets were broken, and those that weren't were pretty unclean. The room itself (single, no private bathroom) was adequate but nothing more. A little more effort on maintenance and facilities improvements would go a long way!

The hostel was in a good location! The kitchen was dirty, there were spillages on the floor, food on the surfaces and the bins over flowing with food. There was minimal cutlery and dishes for guests. The carpets were sticky if you walked bare foot. The showers were ok but, in the laundery room and the floor always flooded when you showered or washed clothes. The room smelt like smoke and wet dog! I know it's cheap, bug you expect basic for cheap not dirty

• 28th Mar 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

Cleaning would be a good start. Blood and lipstick on the walls of the room. The showers wall were rotting and falling to bits. Place was disgusting!!! I have been to 100's of hostels around the world this would be one of the worse.

• 20th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Only full of long term travellers, no one keen on mingle. Staff weren't helpful and we're surprised when I wanted directions to the supermarket etc. Unwelcoming atmosphere, dirty kitchen and the bathrooms were a sty. Only positives were location. Not worth paying for a cheap dorm - pay up for somewhere nicer to stay!

Renovation of the Bathrooms urgently necessary!

In short, your discussion to stay here should depend on what is important to you. If you want somewhere clean, quiet, calm, well staffed and organised, don't stay here. If you want somewhere cheap then do it. Cheap was more important to me, so it was fine, otherwise take stock of what matters to you and perhaps look elsewhere. Parking is terrible though, it was a harrowing experience.

Horrible hostel , the staff was friendly but not happy about what I got for what I paid

though very busy, staff were helpful & when I needed an extra night, very accommodating. Stayed in a single room .. basic but acceptable, bed comfortable & on the 3rd floor. [ trick is to make sure you get a room that doesn't overlook taranaki st ...:-) V. good value

• 11th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

This hostel was falling apart. Very disgusting on the inside with hair covering shower floors, flooding in bathrooms and doors that did not lock. Bedroom had a few long term people so rubbish and clothes were all over the floor. We were staying over a weekend that had an big event in the city and had to pay $40p/p for a 10bed dorm. Reception were very rude and didn't want to help or give any advise.

• 5th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Rooms are disgusting, bathrooms are horrible but found the staff nice, the cost wasn't overly priced and always got a hot shower, a bonus at some places. A lick of paint and bit of maintenance and it would be a nice place!!

• 5th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

took one look at the kitchen and decided to leave our food in the boot of our car and eat out. FILTHY. beds on ground floor dorm not comfortable, and noise from outside about 6am really bad - building works? staff ok but rather indifferent only positive thing was that sheets were clean. wished we had paid a little more for a place where people were more considerate

We found the room clean but the kitchen cleanliness was poor so we didn't eat there in the end.

Everything was just average...the staff, rooms, facilities. Not filthy or horrible, but nothing impressive, worth the cheap price if you're trying to save money. What I HATED was that I had camping gear stolen and someone had obviously gone through my pack. This is the first time I have ever had anything stolen in a hostel. The rooms were locked like normal and I had made sure to put everything away and out of sight. I Can put up with inferior facilities and services, but not bad security!

The hostel was in a good location near the heart of wellington and within walking distance to many shops, restaurants, nightlife and other attractions. Realistically the location is the only good thing going for it. The staff at the front desk were slow and while somewhat helpful they appeared to not really care all that much. The hostel wasnt dirty per se, but was by no means clean either. if all youre looking for is a cheap place to crash stay here, otherwise i wouldnt recommend it.

the place, is really dirty! the washing machine, doesn't work the kitchen is the worse i have seen in all the hostel in new zealand! First day when i get there, the girl at the reception tell me that: "we lost your booking" they literally lost all the email!! really not organized hostel, the bathroom are really old and dirty, there is mouse in the kitchen, and i get stuck in the lift first day, and is really unsafe!! a lot of drug and alcool strange people and no control of alcool abuse.

I put average because we did not go in that hostel. While checking in, the guy told us we have been sent in another hotel coz lodge in the city was full. We were 3 people and He gave us one card/key only. Arriving at the hostel, the card was not working so we had to come back at the hostel (1kms walking distance) to get another one. So the check in was not good. Afterwrd, the rooms of the hotel we ve been sent were nice and not that far from the city center.