Lodge In The City Reviews

152 Taranaki Street, Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand

Pretty gross. Also, make sure you spare an hour or so for check in (or any tiny thing you may need from reception)- the SLOWEST guy in the world. I guess it's pretty close to Cuba Street though..?

In the last year I have stayed at hostels in UK, France and New Zealand. My bench mark for the standard of facilities and services sought in other similar situations has been measured against "The Generator" hostel situated close to St Pancras in London. "Lodge in the City" was generally below that standard.

Really bad deal!!! Ok it's cheap but not that much compare to other hostels.. Bathroom were always durty, a lot of hair everywhere, water all around in the bathroom, on 3rd floor, just mixed showers. Kitchen with not enough stuff, like two tea cups for the whole backpacker, always dirty dishes in the sink. 9bed dorm real mess, window can be open from outside.. not safe! Bad athmosphere...the french guy who does some cleaning, is so arrogant! The receptionnists really nice! I wouldnt recomend it

Really good location and a big kitchen but when we walked out of the hostel somebody was throwing up through one of the windows and it hit us..

Kitchen could do with more attention. no breaky inclu like most I stayed in south island.

small kitchen, not a lot of cutlery, old/rusty bathrooms, pillows feel like folded towels, mattresses way to thin and used

The rooms smelled dirty, there was a bloodstain on the floor, the bar was closed at all times, there was a smashed window, the door did not close properly, there were no lockers in the room and the showers we're disgusting. But I guess that what you pay is what you get. For 18 dollars a night I didn't expect to get a nice and clean hostel.

The door was open 24/7 which felt a little bit wierd. The kitchen wasnt very clean

I may not have had a full judgement as I was only at Lodge in the City for a night. But when I arrived there were a bunch of people just drinking and smoking right at the entrance to the hostel, which was very dirty. It also didn't have any way of keeping non-guests out. The staff member on duty was actually very nice, and the room was nice enough, although quite grubby with thin mattresses (accessed by key card -$5 deposit) Pay an extra $5 for a different hostel in Wellington!

The hostel is large with a friendly atmosphere. Lots to do if you have some spare time as well.

• 22nd Mar 2014