Lord Wolseley Reviews

265 Bulwara Road, Ultimo, Sydney, Australia

Basic rooms, but decent value and a good pub

• 7th May 2015

Was great location for what I needed however was very noisy with the pub downstairs!! Very dirty kitchens and very old bathrooms. Linen old, grotty carpet, but was fine for the money and being short term.

This is a really atmospheric old Sydney pub in a village type site yet you are in the heart of Sydney. Hostel facilities are basic but clean and good value. I will definitely stay there again.

My wife and I very much enjoyed our time at the Lord Wolseley. It was very close to the Power House Museum where I was doing research, as well as close to the railway station. Walking distance for almost everything we wanted to do. Recommend it highly.

• 6th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Staff at the Lord Wolseley were very helpful, friendly and welcoming throughout our stay there. The room we were in, was nice and cosy with a lovely view of the city. However, even though the kitchen had been cleaned, we felt it was still unhygienic as insects and cockroaches were running around the floor and cutlery draw; which put us off using the kitchen to prepare meals which was very inconvenient.

• 25th Mar 2015

Room was ok. But it was outdated and the towels and sheets on my bed were dirty.

This hostel was ok for a few days but the lack of communal area and kitchen would be difficult for a long stay. the rooms were good sized and clean and the underbed lockers was a bonus. the wifi was also a good extra.

Upstairs kitchen full of ants and cockroaches (including in the fridge), no stove or hot plate, so we couldn't have cooked if we wanted to. The room was dirty and had terrible ventilation, don't think it has seen a vacuum cleaner in months. Showers and toilets all right. The staff seemed to hate their jobs, but I don't blame them, as I would not want to work there either.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Norway

friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere, friendly locals. a bit out of the way so be prepared for some walking, two great cafés close by but limited in food options otherwise (food at hotel was great!) comfortable and basic rooms, not too loud. didn't use the kitchenette but it looked pretty basic.

• 11th Mar 2015

The room was wonderful and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly. It was exactly what I needed and where I needed it to be. I will definitely be staying there again. Thankyou

Thanks for your review!

This was a fabulous gem hiding on a beautiful, tree-lined street in Ultimo. It's a bit of a walk to the CBD (about 20 minutes) but having that bit of distance from the bustle of the city ended up being quite nice. Room was clean, comfortable, and extremely affordable. Shared kitchen and bathrooms were well maintained. Situated above a pub with friendly staff, chatty locals, and excellent beer. Highly recommended.

• 8th Mar 2015

Was Clean, Free Wifi, would like to stay more days but since this hostel doesn´t have an oven anymore, you have to eat somewhere else. Expensive. There is only a micro wave and kettle.

The cleaning of the toilets and shower was unexisting for the 4 days that i was in the hostel with no toilet paper for the last 2 days. In a place where so many people is coming in and out that should not happen for the health of everybody.

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Spain

Thanks for your review, I assure you the bathrooms are cleaned daily. Sorry about the toilet paper. Someone obviously dropped the ball there.

The place had a real nice feel to it as it is not a modern place. Staff were nice and friendly and great bistro attached to the place. Just a bit out of centre so had to get bus in to get everywhere or it was a 20 minutes walk

• 4th Mar 2015

The corner room we had booked had a Wolsely hotel floodlight aimed at the windows, which made for a very bright room at midnight and the staff did not know how to turn it off, other than that there was significant mold and stains on the walls of the room.

We found accommodation hard to come by in Sydney and this was one of the cheapest ones. It has all the basics you would expect from a hostel expect for a large kitchen (it has a sink and a microwave) on each floor. Good bathrooms and spacious rooms. Based on top of a pub so can get quite loud during the evenings. Short walk to CBD and train station. If your just looking for a bed for a couple of nights then I would recommend this hostel.

No kitchen, poor Internet and very loud each night

• 22nd Feb 2015

Loved the pub below and the great beer within. The staff was great and the room was so good (outside of the cockroach in the bathroom -- ick! -- but a bit expected with how old the building is). The sink in the room leaked a lot so that should probably be fixed but overall very happy with our stay. Probably our favorite place and the highlight of our time in Sydney.

Bed was comfy and how nice to have wifi that reaches the rooms! Laundry is good value at $2. I missed the comment that they don't have a cooker anymore. But there is a microwave and kettle.

Great value accommodation close to the city. Will definitely stay there again!

• 6th Feb 2015