Lord Wolseley Reviews

265 Bulwara Road, Ultimo, Sydney, Australia

Room was ok. But it was outdated and the towels and sheets on my bed were dirty.

• 20th Mar 2015

Upstairs kitchen full of ants and cockroaches (including in the fridge), no stove or hot plate, so we couldn't have cooked if we wanted to. The room was dirty and had terrible ventilation, don't think it has seen a vacuum cleaner in months. Showers and toilets all right. The staff seemed to hate their jobs, but I don't blame them, as I would not want to work there either.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Norway

friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere, friendly locals. a bit out of the way so be prepared for some walking, two great cafés close by but limited in food options otherwise (food at hotel was great!) comfortable and basic rooms, not too loud. didn't use the kitchenette but it looked pretty basic.

• 11th Mar 2015

The room was wonderful and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly. It was exactly what I needed and where I needed it to be. I will definitely be staying there again. Thankyou

• 11th Mar 2015

This was a fabulous gem hiding on a beautiful, tree-lined street in Ultimo. It's a bit of a walk to the CBD (about 20 minutes) but having that bit of distance from the bustle of the city ended up being quite nice. Room was clean, comfortable, and extremely affordable. Shared kitchen and bathrooms were well maintained. Situated above a pub with friendly staff, chatty locals, and excellent beer. Highly recommended.

• 8th Mar 2015

Was Clean, Free Wifi, would like to stay more days but since this hostel doesn´t have an oven anymore, you have to eat somewhere else. Expensive. There is only a micro wave and kettle.

The cleaning of the toilets and shower was unexisting for the 4 days that i was in the hostel with no toilet paper for the last 2 days. In a place where so many people is coming in and out that should not happen for the health of everybody.

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Spain

Thanks for your review, I assure you the bathrooms are cleaned daily. Sorry about the toilet paper. Someone obviously dropped the ball there.

The place had a real nice feel to it as it is not a modern place. Staff were nice and friendly and great bistro attached to the place. Just a bit out of centre so had to get bus in to get everywhere or it was a 20 minutes walk

• 4th Mar 2015

The corner room we had booked had a Wolsely hotel floodlight aimed at the windows, which made for a very bright room at midnight and the staff did not know how to turn it off, other than that there was significant mold and stains on the walls of the room.

No kitchen, poor Internet and very loud each night

• 22nd Feb 2015

Loved the pub below and the great beer within. The staff was great and the room was so good (outside of the cockroach in the bathroom -- ick! -- but a bit expected with how old the building is). The sink in the room leaked a lot so that should probably be fixed but overall very happy with our stay. Probably our favorite place and the highlight of our time in Sydney.

Bed was comfy and how nice to have wifi that reaches the rooms! Laundry is good value at $2. I missed the comment that they don't have a cooker anymore. But there is a microwave and kettle.

Great value accommodation close to the city. Will definitely stay there again!

• 6th Feb 2015

A reasonably priced room (paid 100 AUD) above a very good Victorian era Australian pub. Perfect for what wanted - staying by myself looking for atmosphere at a good price.

• 4th Feb 2015

Very helpful staff my room wasn't ready so they took my bags and when I returned bags were in my room! No hassles at all nice and fast service which I wanted since I had travelled far to get there! Would definitely stay again!!

• 31st Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Good small place. Simple, decent and functional. Nice atmosphere. Excellent lunch restaurant close by and good dinner place next door. Have booked to stay there again.

Thanks for your review!

Cool place! It's a 19th century pub with rooms upstairs. Despite that, it's reasonably quiet and sleeping is not a problem. I stayed there a week in a 4 mixed dorm during a conference and I could rest properly. Facilities and cleanliness are good for this category of hostel (don't expect anything fancy). Like in many hostels, you need your own padlock for the lockers. No air conditioning so it can get hot, but keep all the fans on and the windows open (and perhaps the door too) and it will be ok

Pros Walking distance to darling harbour High speed wifi even can watch YouTube Quiet neighborhood Comfort twin rooms Cons Nearby transportation service is poor all neighbors have own cars

Very friendly staff, nice homely vibe. Building is quite old, but kept clean and to a good stamdard. We stayed in double room which was nice and large. Only downside was room got quite hot as we only had a ceiling fan and location is abit further walk than some of the central locations but still walking distance! Overall great stay!

• 6th Jan 2015

Great location and a lot of potential to be a great hostel. Needs some serious attention to cleaning though! There was dust and grime on the skirting boards, cob webs in corners and I saw plenty of cockroaches. There was also a lot of broken items that needed to be thrown away or replaced. If that was all sorted I would stay again.