Lord Wolseley Reviews

265 Bulwara Road, Ultimo, Sydney, Australia

Loved the pub below and the great beer within. The staff was great and the room was so good (outside of the cockroach in the bathroom -- ick! -- but a bit expected with how old the building is). The sink in the room leaked a lot so that should probably be fixed but overall very happy with our stay. Probably our favorite place and the highlight of our time in Sydney.

Bed was comfy and how nice to have wifi that reaches the rooms! Laundry is good value at $2. I missed the comment that they don't have a cooker anymore. But there is a microwave and kettle.

Great value accommodation close to the city. Will definitely stay there again!

• 6th Feb 2015

A reasonably priced room (paid 100 AUD) above a very good Victorian era Australian pub. Perfect for what wanted - staying by myself looking for atmosphere at a good price.

• 4th Feb 2015

Very helpful staff my room wasn't ready so they took my bags and when I returned bags were in my room! No hassles at all nice and fast service which I wanted since I had travelled far to get there! Would definitely stay again!!

• 31st Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Good small place. Simple, decent and functional. Nice atmosphere. Excellent lunch restaurant close by and good dinner place next door. Have booked to stay there again.

Thanks for your review!

Cool place! It's a 19th century pub with rooms upstairs. Despite that, it's reasonably quiet and sleeping is not a problem. I stayed there a week in a 4 mixed dorm during a conference and I could rest properly. Facilities and cleanliness are good for this category of hostel (don't expect anything fancy). Like in many hostels, you need your own padlock for the lockers. No air conditioning so it can get hot, but keep all the fans on and the windows open (and perhaps the door too) and it will be ok

Pros Walking distance to darling harbour High speed wifi even can watch YouTube Quiet neighborhood Comfort twin rooms Cons Nearby transportation service is poor all neighbors have own cars

Very friendly staff, nice homely vibe. Building is quite old, but kept clean and to a good stamdard. We stayed in double room which was nice and large. Only downside was room got quite hot as we only had a ceiling fan and location is abit further walk than some of the central locations but still walking distance! Overall great stay!

• 6th Jan 2015

Great location and a lot of potential to be a great hostel. Needs some serious attention to cleaning though! There was dust and grime on the skirting boards, cob webs in corners and I saw plenty of cockroaches. There was also a lot of broken items that needed to be thrown away or replaced. If that was all sorted I would stay again.

Good and mostly quiet location with friendly staff. Negative: you better use your own towels if you are not interested in collecting fungis. - Really!

• 29th Dec 2014

A cute hostel above a decent pub (unfortunately the bistro was closed for Xmas while we were there so I can't comment on the food) about a 10 minute walk from Darling Harbour. Unfortunately the place needs a bit of work doing to it to make it comfortable as well as cute - the beds were lumpy, the ceiling fan was noisy and the windows are prone to fall shut if you don't wedge a bit of metal into them. Also, checkout is at 10am but there were no staff on site until at least 10:30...

I really appreciate that we can have kitchen facilities to cook our own food but the cleanliness is a bit low because I saw cockroaches in the kitchen. Besides, if there is no carpet in the rooms, it would be cleaner as carpets trap dust and dirty stuff on it.

• 9th Dec 2014
  • China

All an average tourist needs! I was lucky to have very nice people in the room and it felt like at home! Young lady at bar/reception was very nice and helpful. In the evening there was some beer party ,but it didn't disturb in the hotel rooms above.Overall very homely,quiet atmosphere!Gosh I don't even know how it is possible:)

• 30th Nov 2014

The beer was cole and had an opportunity to mix with the locals. Plus had a good night sleep - no air conditioning Will return - bets 400 dollar city rooms.

• 27th Nov 2014

Great value for money, staff were lovely on arrival but when we checked out there were no members of staff on site (it was 10am check out but as it is a pub no staff were in yet). This was a bit disconcerting as we'd asked to leave luggage in their bag store, which meant leaving us no choice but to leave our cases in an unlocked room and trusting they would be ok when we returned. They were ok, but we would have expected staff to be around at the checkout time.

• 26th Nov 2014

Room was clean, good value.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Fantastic location, walking distance from Central Station but still an oasis of tranquility. Next door to a lovely park and opposite an old church with a great op shop. The pub itself has a great atmosphere. It's very old style, warm and inviting. Nice restaurant. Band on Saturday night was fun, not too loud and finished at a reasonable hour. Bathrooms could be cleaner and could do with some renovation but overall very good value. I'd stay there again.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Just stayed one night, but have been there before to have a few drinks. A really lovely pub, with a great outdoor space. Rooms we comfortable enough, not amazing, but pretty much what we expected.

• 20th Nov 2014

Nice little hostel. Ticks all the boxes in terms of comfortable accommodation within walking distance of the city centre. Adequate cooking facilities (electric hob, oven, microwave, kettle, toaster) most of the showers are pretty good, but one just dribbled. Unlimited wifi, one-day codes given out at the bar downstairs. Only big downside is there's no communal rest area like a TV room or lounge room, so I ended up sitting in on the kitchen stools to talk to friends in the hostel.