Lord Wolseley Reviews

265 Bulwara Road, Ultimo, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Good hostel. I was only there for one night and it was fine.

• 4th Apr 2014

Enjoyed my stay, friendly atmosphere and courtiouse staff

• 28th Mar 2014

The romm for 4 it is very little

One night stopover before returning to states - wish we had booked this for the original week stay! Awesome doublebed corner private room with bath, ceiling fan, love seat, fridge on 3rd floor. Super clean, modern bathrooms on both hostel floors (2nd & 3rd - 1st is quaint old pub). Partial kitchen on each floor (3rd has burner, big fridge, no microwave - 2nd has microwave and large fridge). As close as you get to a hotel experience in a hostel.

Thanks for you review - glad you enjoyed your stay!

Hostel location was central to everything we needed. The room was clean and had a ceiling fan which was all we needed. Bar staff were friendly. Only downside was paying deposit in US dollars - seemed very strange. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and hope to be back.

• 8th Mar 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us. The deposit is actually retained by HostelWorld, so there is not a lot we could have done about that for you. Regards

Very unique! Staff was excellent with lots of help!!

We enjoyed the stay. Staff were friendly and helpful and the place has character! It is convenient for Chinatown and the city, and there is a cmmunity centre with free wifi with 100m.

• 1st Mar 2014

Thanks for the review. We now have free WIFI on premises. Cheers

Great potential for this hostel. Nice traditional pub underneath and the staff were friendly although NOT organised. On check in I had to wait well over an hour whilst they "kicked some guys out" (asked then to leave at their own pace) it seemed. I could deal with this, however, the last night I walked into my dorm to find someone else in my bed, no answer from the 4 after hours numbers so I took it into my own hands and knocked on other dorms and managed to find a free bed. Bad experience.

Thanks for your review. I'm sure you can understand - the 1st person I've been compelled to ask to leave in over two years, was not the most compliant person in the world. I'm sorry to hear someone took your bed. As we only have 4-bed dorms this is a very rare occurrence. This may not have been obvious to you at 4am, but at that hour it is better to ring one of the after-hours numbers a couple of times until they wake up, rather than ringing each number once. Regards

nice place. nice stuff.

Thank you kindly.

We enjoyed our stay at the Lord Wolseley. The room was big and clean and we were very thankful for the fan and the fresh towels. We also enjoyed the free tea and coffee in the kitchen. Nevertheless there were a few negative aspects, which can be fixed easily: - At first we weren't aware that there are TWO kitchens in the hostel. Maybe add some signs. - No Internet!? Please add some Wifi! At least down at the bar. I would have come down with my laptop and had a few beers while surfing the net.

Thanks for your review. We are having high-speed internet installed very soon. Regards, Ted

The hostel is in a great location, only 10 minutes walk to Darling Harbour. The pub and bistro in the complex are both excellent. However, I felt that the hostel itself was too basic. The kitchen is not well equipped, no microwave, toaster etc. Also, I feel that a hostel should have a common room, which this one doesn't have. The rooms are for only 4 people, which is good.

Happy to stay there!

the lord wolseley a lovely place a nice little bar down stairs, the place is clean, the staff very helpful, the only problem i had with the place that there where ants everywhere but beside that not a bad place to be

This is a great place to stay in Sydney. extremely good value for money and the bar and food are great. the room are clean and simple but very nice and the place only has 9 rooms so it not overly crowded. It is a very old fashioned pub and a is truly a good example of a the culture of the australian pub. Cheers!

• 14th Jan 2014

The hotel is perfect for the price. It is just out of the city center in a nice little neighborhood above a great old pub. They have a very friendly staff. The only downside is the lack of internet.

• 13th Jan 2014

We read some of the comments about the hotel as it being a bit noisy or dirty with insects everywhere, and if we did have some ants in the bedroom, we didn't feel like it was a problem because the place has so much character that none of those little problems mattered (to us). We also loved the bar! especially the music!!

We stayed 3 nights around NYE. The hostel is above an old bar and in walking distance to the city. Its recently refurbished and the double room is spacious and clean. There are two small kitchens with average equipment, just for simple cookings and breakfast. No internet, but free connection at the libery 200m form the hostel.

The room is not so clean. We found a cockroach in our bedroom!! It is funny that they actually provide insect spray in the bedroom. The kitchen is very tiny!! Only one stove and one sink. the sink is small, so it's difficult to clean up dishes. The stove is scary. The location is not so bad. Close to China town.

• 15th Dec 2013
  • Thailand

Lovely staff, pleasant vibe in the bar downstairs and not a bad view at all over a bowl of pasta looking onto the city from the kitchen.

The location is the best part of this. Nearby parking is pay-per-hour on Saturday, free on Sunday. Great if you've 4 people for the 4 bedroom option to avoid unsavoury room shares. The bar runs until midnight with live music (good vibe actually), so don't plan on sleeping too early. also beware of drunk girls in heels climbing up stairs at 2 am!