Lord Wolseley Reviews

265 Bulwara Road, Ultimo, Sydney, Australia

Good small place. Simple, decent and functional. Nice atmosphere. Excellent lunch restaurant close by and good dinner place next door. Have booked to stay there again.

Cool place! It's a 19th century pub with rooms upstairs. Despite that, it's reasonably quiet and sleeping is not a problem. I stayed there a week in a 4 mixed dorm during a conference and I could rest properly. Facilities and cleanliness are good for this category of hostel (don't expect anything fancy). Like in many hostels, you need your own padlock for the lockers. No air conditioning so it can get hot, but keep all the fans on and the windows open (and perhaps the door too) and it will be ok

Pros Walking distance to darling harbour High speed wifi even can watch YouTube Quiet neighborhood Comfort twin rooms Cons Nearby transportation service is poor all neighbors have own cars

Very friendly staff, nice homely vibe. Building is quite old, but kept clean and to a good stamdard. We stayed in double room which was nice and large. Only downside was room got quite hot as we only had a ceiling fan and location is abit further walk than some of the central locations but still walking distance! Overall great stay!

• 6th Jan 2015

Great location and a lot of potential to be a great hostel. Needs some serious attention to cleaning though! There was dust and grime on the skirting boards, cob webs in corners and I saw plenty of cockroaches. There was also a lot of broken items that needed to be thrown away or replaced. If that was all sorted I would stay again.

Good and mostly quiet location with friendly staff. Negative: you better use your own towels if you are not interested in collecting fungis. - Really!

• 29th Dec 2014

A cute hostel above a decent pub (unfortunately the bistro was closed for Xmas while we were there so I can't comment on the food) about a 10 minute walk from Darling Harbour. Unfortunately the place needs a bit of work doing to it to make it comfortable as well as cute - the beds were lumpy, the ceiling fan was noisy and the windows are prone to fall shut if you don't wedge a bit of metal into them. Also, checkout is at 10am but there were no staff on site until at least 10:30...

I really appreciate that we can have kitchen facilities to cook our own food but the cleanliness is a bit low because I saw cockroaches in the kitchen. Besides, if there is no carpet in the rooms, it would be cleaner as carpets trap dust and dirty stuff on it.

• 9th Dec 2014
  • China

All an average tourist needs! I was lucky to have very nice people in the room and it felt like at home! Young lady at bar/reception was very nice and helpful. In the evening there was some beer party ,but it didn't disturb in the hotel rooms above.Overall very homely,quiet atmosphere!Gosh I don't even know how it is possible:)

• 30th Nov 2014

The beer was cole and had an opportunity to mix with the locals. Plus had a good night sleep - no air conditioning Will return - bets 400 dollar city rooms.

• 27th Nov 2014

Great value for money, staff were lovely on arrival but when we checked out there were no members of staff on site (it was 10am check out but as it is a pub no staff were in yet). This was a bit disconcerting as we'd asked to leave luggage in their bag store, which meant leaving us no choice but to leave our cases in an unlocked room and trusting they would be ok when we returned. They were ok, but we would have expected staff to be around at the checkout time.

• 26th Nov 2014

Room was clean, good value.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Fantastic location, walking distance from Central Station but still an oasis of tranquility. Next door to a lovely park and opposite an old church with a great op shop. The pub itself has a great atmosphere. It's very old style, warm and inviting. Nice restaurant. Band on Saturday night was fun, not too loud and finished at a reasonable hour. Bathrooms could be cleaner and could do with some renovation but overall very good value. I'd stay there again.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Just stayed one night, but have been there before to have a few drinks. A really lovely pub, with a great outdoor space. Rooms we comfortable enough, not amazing, but pretty much what we expected.

• 20th Nov 2014

Nice little hostel. Ticks all the boxes in terms of comfortable accommodation within walking distance of the city centre. Adequate cooking facilities (electric hob, oven, microwave, kettle, toaster) most of the showers are pretty good, but one just dribbled. Unlimited wifi, one-day codes given out at the bar downstairs. Only big downside is there's no communal rest area like a TV room or lounge room, so I ended up sitting in on the kitchen stools to talk to friends in the hostel.

The showers in the bathrooms were mouldy but other than that it was quiet and inexpensive!

• 25th Oct 2014

I was staying for about a week in one of the 4 bed dorms. The rooms are very nice and clean. You'll get provided with a towel. Kitchen is very small but enough for the usual stuff. I was in the second floor and didn't heard any loud noise from the pub downstairs. I enjoyed my stay and would come back again.

Nice double room above the pub which was noisy until late most evenings (Tues-Fri). The light outside illuminating the pub sign also illuminated the room (could do with having black out curtains). Luckily we took our ear plugs and eye mask so these problems were not an issue. Kitchen facilities were good. Showers were powerful and hot. Great budget accommodation.

• 7th Oct 2014

The private room was very nice. The only thing is that the bed is pretty low. The kitchen was rather small and had no running water or forks, so I had to eat my chicken parma with a spoon and then wash the plate in the adjacent bathroom.

Hi, Thanks for your review. The water was not running for a couple of hours while the council completed works.

Very nice and it's actually very close to the center, just 10-15 minutes walking. It's so cool to have a bar when you reach home tired after waking all day

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Chile

Thanks for your review, I'm glad you you enjoyed yourself.