Los Jardines Colgantes de Babilonia Hostel Reviews

Sarandi 310 - Ciudad Vieja, Montevideo, Uruguay

The hostel is ideally located just a few yards from Plaza de Independencia and the best restaurants. The staff are lovely and accommodating and can't do enough for you - everything is catered for. The place is lovely on the inside. It has great character and it's cool, which is important for an Irishman in a place like Montevideo.

I thought this was a great place to stay run by a very friendly and helpful local couple in a perfect location for all the main city tourist spots. The place has bags of character and I would stay there again without hesitation.

Excellent!! The staff is the friendliest we have ever seen! They took the time to recommend places in the city, telling us how to get there and how to get back with ease. The private rooms prices were perfect, the bathrooms were clean, the shower had hot water with good pressure. They would always personally open the door for us to go out or get inside, which made us feel safer. The zone seemed to be the safest one in the city (only one girl asked us for money, not being intrusive). Perfect!

• 7th Nov 2014
  • Argentina

It is a nice, friendly hostel and people working there are very warm and helpful. The location is excellent: right in the old town and very close to the Independence Avenue which is a major avenue in Montevideo. It is five blocks away from the tour bus station and the ferry terminal to Buenos Aires. I also met great fellow travellers there. It is clean and safe. The only thing is that I am not sure if there is lock in the shower. But, overall, it was a very nice experience!

Duvet was covered in hairs when we arrived

• 2nd Oct 2014

This was a very nice hostel overall but I did have some problems with it. The bathrooms were very dirty and there were a lot of bugs in the shower. Also when we arrived our beds looked clean but to our surprise our comforters smelled like they had not been washed at all. It was also freezing in the hostel and ciudad vieja is very dangerous at night so it was hard to go out when we wanted to. I would rate this hostel as getting the job done but I've stayed at nicer for way cheaper.

• 26th Sep 2014

We had a great time at the hostel!! Clean, calm, good kitchen, and nice owner. The fireplace was our favorite. Thank you very much!

We spent two perfect nights at this hostel! Everyone was nice and of good help and advice! Thank you all!

• 15th Aug 2014

Good and clean facilities, including fireplace for cold winter nights. Breakfast simple, but good. Staff is very friendly and helpful when asking about getting around Montevideo. Location is amazing, very close to Mercado del puerto, Buquebus ferry pier, and Plaza Constitución. Wi-fi doesn't work well in private room (as it is far from router), but works perfectly in common area.

Large, spacious rooms with comfortable beds. Excellent breakfast, clean bathrooms and showers, and very friendly staff. Convenient location, blocks from the port. Would highly recommend.

the atmosphere is really great and so is the location - in the heart of ciudad vieja. Unfortunately not all the staff were so sympathetic as the owner. The breakfast was the best i've seen during my trip in urguay : it has more options than the average.

Great staff, extremely helpful and friendly. Wouldn’t recommend going out late hours, but nothing different from major cities anywhere else. Great for people looking for a chill, quiet place to stay, not a party hostel.

It was amazing! A very kind and helpful staff, very clean and confortable, very close to everything. A beautiful place, felt very much like home, thank you!

Very nice place. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Looked after us during our visit. We were feeling sick wit the flu and they gave us extra heaters for our bedroom. They also upgraded is to the best room free for one night as a present. Very helpful with info about the city.

Very friendly staff. They were accommodating with my reservation change and flexible with the checkout time. Very reliable wi-fi. Rooms were a bit cold though.

Was ok. Located in the old part of the city near some good sights, etc but gets kind of shady at night. Staff were friendly, place was clean, breakfast was ok. Would stay there again but not before looking for somewhere else first.

I enjoyed my stay. It's a pretty calm place, so maybe not the place to go if you're looking for a wild time. It was a comfortable stay and I would return there.