Love Lane Inn Reviews

54 Love Lane, George Town, Penang, Malaysia

Besides being very dirty, a fact easy to overlook as a backpacker on a budget, a big problem was the staff. The owner of the hostel not only "forget" to inform us about the curfew, which of course left us locked out of the hostel, he also took his time in opening the gates. When he finally opened the gates an hour later, he found it necessary to yell at us for apparently no reason but for waking him. The hostel next door costs only 5 RM more (Red Inn Heritage) but much cleaner and friendlier!

Worst hostel so far on my three months trip through south-east asia. The beds are so worn out it feels like sleeping on the ground. The facilities are dirty, but the worst thing about this hostel is the staff. The man with the long hair aka 'The boss', as the rest of the staff calls him, is rude and unhelpful and you can't discuss anything with him. He'll say 'final' and walk away from the conversation.

The property has a good location, in the center of georgetown with a 7-eleven close by. The place has a nice atmosphere. On the downside, the owner is rude sometimes, and the place is not very clean. You can easily spot spiderwebs all over the place, fungi on the bathrooms and bed bugs. They advertise breakfast, but its only bread with butter and jelly.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Panama
  • All Male Group, 25-30

This was without a doubt the worst hostel we've stayed at thus far. The manager showed us two rooms, both of which had bed bugs, and when we said we couldn't stay there because of the lack of hygiene the manager quickly became rude and wanted to ignore us. We were told that we would get a full refund if we returned the following morning, of which we only got half. Please do not stay here, there was a great hostel just next door called the Heritage 56 which was alot nicer and for the same price.

stayed in the dorm. rooms are ok. mattress seemed old but i didn't see any bedbugs (thankfully!), there was a fan - therefore it was rather hot at night. bathroom & toilet are both rather small and not very well cleaned... I spotted a dead cockroach in front of another room too. the staff's humour is special, a bit straightforward sometimes. i found it rather funny. great to start exploring Penang from: the bus (from Thailand) dropped us near the street and it's easy to reach boats from here!

I arrived at Love Lane Inn to find that they had saved me the worse room in the hotel, right be the front desk and the stairwell. Since the room did not have complete walls the noise level and lack of privacy made the room unacceptable and when I expressed this to the owner he became rude and agressive telling me that I had to pay for the rooms I booked. When I said that I would not be able to use the room he offered I was told to F- off. Worst hotel experience in many years , if not ever.

We know is not the hotel fault to receive a booking late and to have Bed Bugs (We had), is hard to control that when such amount of people is passing through your premises (actually at least they were cleaning everything with spray as soon somebody were telling them something (in two days rooms). But something i thing has to change is the cleanliness of the place and broken furniture, for the same price the other places where i had been (sixth times in penang in three years) were much better.

This is something special! Definitely not very clean and not the most secure place on Earth, but there is something really cool about it. The vibe. The guys who run the hostel, the `I don`t give a sh**` attitude which sometimes came out of them. The `breadfast`- staff changed name breakfast to breadfast, cause there are only toasts and coffee..but sometimes you don`t need much to be happy. I didn`t find any bed bugs, I found the price really good and people I met there as well.

A lil bit more cleaner in showers, toilets.and dorms. Forgot a charger and battery there, but get no answers for my emails from that place. (The email address is right), had been nice if they would at least whrite back.

The hostel was very clean, cozy and had nice helpful staff. It was also on a quiet street so a good night's sleep was a quarantee.

• 30th Jan 2014