Lucky D's Reviews

615 8th Avenue, San Diego, USA

I used this place for just one night while passing through and found it was in an excellent location downtown. Staff was friendly, bathroom was clean. Room was a little cramped and dated but clean and bed was comfortable. 4 electrical sockets were used by 3 others in room the entire time I was there - had to go to the common room to charge my phone which I use as an alarm. Otherwise it was a good stay - and I'd stay there again.

I love this place! Great atmosphere, great location, great (free!) breakfast, lots of organised events happening every night of the week. The place was really busy due to Comic Con but the staff stayed organised and professional and were happy to help with any questions I had. Definitely stay here when you're in San Diego!

All round a very well located and staffed by enthusiastic people. One tip I have (coming from an IT guy), the internet is actually very fast (65Mbit/sec download, 6 Mbit/sec upload), however the WiFi (both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz channels) are swamped and very congested. I plugged my laptop into the wired Ethernet network in the designated Internet Room and the free internet is superb!

• 18th Jul 2014

I am not sure why this hostel has such a good rating? Firstly, some members of staff working there are very unhelpful in answering any basic questions. The original four bed dorm we stayed in was the size of a shoebox and smelt very bad. The hostel is also located on top of a club that goes on until 3am, we requested to move to a top floor room although the room still shakes and the noise makes it difficult to sleep. 2 toilets and showers on each floor between 20 rooms (70-80 people). Dont stay

Our week long stay at lucky ds couldn't have been any better, really helpful, fun welcoming staff, great dinners and breakfast every morning really set us up for the day. We bought zoo tickets and rented bikes for $10 from a hostel contact. They were also very accommodating when an we requested an extra traveller to stay in our room. Would recommend all young travellers to stay here!

• 17th Jul 2014

Awesome hostel! It's located close to everything, the facilities and atmosphere was amazing. The staff definitely above and beyond to make sure it was a great stay. Sebastian in particular was awesome, he showed me around town and even took me down to Mexico which was incredible!!

Best spot 5 minute walk from the party area supermarket baseball stadium! Very clean facilities ! Great kitchen ! The only thing I can say bad about lucky D's is the wifi is always in and out not the best! Besides that everything is great !

I was given a dirty blanket for my bed.

• 8th Jul 2014

I had 2 nights in this hostel. The atmosophere were really really good and for the price it is the best. I had 2 others stays in an HI hostel and for the price, this one is the hostel of the downtown in San diego. Do not hésitate

Perfect location, excellent fun and accomodating staff, very clean and great atmosphere. Extended my stay and would definitely recommend to anyone. One of the best hostels I've stayed in.

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive review. We are glad you had such a great time and hope you come back soon.

Just make sure your not on the 4th floor facing market street.Youll get an early wake up call if you know what i mean

* Just one light in the room, there should be a light for every person in the room * No lockers, you either gotta switch the room or pay for using a locker *There is only one plug in in the whole room * The breakfast is very bad (they only offered waffles for breakfast, not even toast) * Not tidy - people can already check in even if their rooms are not done at that time - and they won't even get told to not check in that time

• 29th Jun 2014

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, I believe you did not experience the true Lucky d's however. We have a choice of lockers depending on what you prefer, Either a locker where you use a own pad lock or a coin operated locker these rooms can be allocated upon request. All the rooms have 4 outlets and extension cables are available. For breakfast we offer Toast and cereals Monday to Thursday and Friday to Sunday is cereal and make your own waffles. We hope you will come back and try us again.

. The atmosphere of the hostel is very good. Free breakfast is remarkable and so re free dinner n Sundys, Tuesday and Thursday. It is good to publicize itfor all guests. And it is better to stik to the time as advertised. But the wifi is not very workable in the hostel.

everyone was just wonderful. Loved the breakfast! Yummy Waffles!

Had a hard time sleeping because it was so loud all night long. The staff wasn't very helpful in answering our questions. Otherwise, it was clean and the bathrooms were big. Breakfest was very basic; cereals and waffles. It would have been nice to at least have some bread in the morining.

I can't believe how affordable this place is! It has a great location, the people were great and the staff was pretty chill. I highly recommend this place.

Glad you had such a good time. Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We hope you will come back for more free beer :)

A fun hostel with a big kitchen and common room.

Really good hostel, very helpful staff and loads of tips and info posted around the hostel. Only problem is the internet is very slow and often cuts out.

This is not a 5* place - you get what you pay for. It's in a good location and easy to get around San Diego. Not the cleanest of places and the beds are not very comfortable. Rooms facing the street inevitably have to deal with the smoke from the street. There are lockers available but I was too tired to ask to be moved into a room where I could use my own padlock, so I wound up paying a quarter every time I wanted to lock up and leave - not that it was necessary but it made me feel better.

I've stayed at a number of hostels during my travels and I have to say "Lucky D's" is one of the best hostels I have visited. The staff is helpful and kind, the free breakfasts are always helpful on a tight traveler's budget and the location is amazing. This hostel is down the street from the best parts of the SD Gaslamp and if you have a car it is really easy to access via streets or freeway. I do not regret booking this place at ALL, love it! Book it, Do it!!

• 24th May 2014