Lucky D's Reviews

615 8th Avenue, San Diego, USA

This is not a 5* place - you get what you pay for. It's in a good location and easy to get around San Diego. Not the cleanest of places and the beds are not very comfortable. Rooms facing the street inevitably have to deal with the smoke from the street. There are lockers available but I was too tired to ask to be moved into a room where I could use my own padlock, so I wound up paying a quarter every time I wanted to lock up and leave - not that it was necessary but it made me feel better.

I've stayed at a number of hostels during my travels and I have to say "Lucky D's" is one of the best hostels I have visited. The staff is helpful and kind, the free breakfasts are always helpful on a tight traveler's budget and the location is amazing. This hostel is down the street from the best parts of the SD Gaslamp and if you have a car it is really easy to access via streets or freeway. I do not regret booking this place at ALL, love it! Book it, Do it!!

• 24th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

+ : really good location, cheapest in town, clean bathrooms, big kitchen - : unorganized but nice staff, dirty rooms, extremelly noisy, lots of stairs (not easy with suitcases), pb with the wifi, 1 plug per room

The hostel had everything I was looking for!! its within walking distance to the best clubs, pubs, restaurants and all major sources of public transport. The staff and fellow guests were friendly, outgoing and very sociable. We would all meet in the common room every night and go out as one group. The free waffles at breakfast were to die for and the free dinners were just as good. Location, facilities and atmosphere surpassed my expectations and i would definitely stay here again.

• 20th May 2014

Internet dropped in & out. There was an inch thick layer of dust all in my dorm room. The noise from the street was so bad it was impossible to sleep. The 11pm quiet curfew wasn't adhered to, nor acknowledged by the staff. Even worse was the fact my deposit paid via Hostel world wasn't honoured by the hostel so I had to pay the full price on arrival. I don't like or appreciate the price gouging especially since the place wasn't all that clean. Aweful experience.

Great atmosphere and location. When I arrived, the front desk staff member did not direct me to my room or offer to help carry my luggage.. A bit more helpfulness would have been appreciated. Other than that, a great stay. Thanks!

• 30th Apr 2014

Can't fault Lucky D's at all. Absolutely fantastic at a VERY reasonable price. I've only been gone a few days but I miss the waffle breakfast so much already. I will definitely stay again. Free breakfast, free wifi, $1 towels, great location in the Gaslamp near all public transport, and great social activities each night of the week (one of which is simply free beer!). I just wish there was more than one tap in the kitchen!

Lucky D's was one of the best hostels i have ever stayed in, and i've stayed in a few. Pete and the rest of the staff were so friendly and awesome! Recommending things to see and do in the local area and with something on every night i was never at a loss of what to do. Love this city and love this hostel, would highly recommend to anyone going to San Diego

Awesome hostel I've had a great time there, the staff is great and all young people. So, if you are looking for somewhere to meet people and hang out, that is your hostel!

• 17th Mar 2014

Thanks for staying with us. We're thrilled that you liked it at the hostel so much - and be sure to come back!

Lucky D's is at a prime location, near all the bars and restaurant. It can get noisy at night since there is a bar on the first floor. The breakfast here consists of waffles and cereal, not much else. Tea and coffee were available all the time. The bathroom walls have some cool colors. The receptionist was a foreigner and didn't understand 80% of the questions I asked her. That was really annoying. Some of the other staff were nice and helpful though. Overall, I would stay here again.

Everything great with the exception of staff informing of activity on night of Friday March 14th (originally to meet at 9pm) At 9pm was informed to meet at 10:15pm. At 10:15pm was told by another staff member to meet at 11:15pm. At 11:15pm was told there was no activity... Would be better if told either the activity is bon a minimum number of people gathering, or non existent at all: then one would not be waiting around for nothing to happen... Great location. Would visit again.

had a great time staying here a couple of weeks ago with my two friends, met some brilliant people too. the location is perfect right in the town and the staff are great and friendly, the staff organised the evenings well to make it much more enjoyable, especially megan jenowa and the australian girl (sorry ive forgot your name) just a quick thanks from Damo and the other 2 english guys Mark and Brad.

• 8th Mar 2014

Loved it! Fun activities, nice staff ( especially the Spanish girls and the Maintenance guy) Security is excellent, good kitchen, nice breakfast, nearby cheap supermarket and the busstops. Also nearby the Greyhound! Everything is clean and there is a relaxed vibe in the hostel.

Lucky D's had friendly staff (especially Jackie who makes the best waffles), great location, very unique looking hostel with good atmosphere. Rooms were clean and the kitchen was spacious and clean. Would recommend this hostel to anyone staying in San Diego. Will return again.

The only problems I had were that the hair dryers just barely worked and breakfast opened later than I would want. Otherwise, it was great.

• 15th Feb 2014