Lucky Family Hostel Reviews

No. 12 Xinsi Hutong, Dongsi Shier Tiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China

We've arrived very early after agreeing firstly with the hostel. After arrival we were told we have our room already free and empty, so if we want we could take a quick sleep, because it was 7am and we had been traveling overnight. After half of us were in bed, a friend of ours noticed that the hostel was charging us for that night, even though it was 7am, and we were never told we would pay that night , as the hotel offered the room earlier. We were very disappointing with the front staff.

It's a nice and comfortable hostel in the center of Beijing, great for sightseeing or if you just need to get some things done in the city, at a very reasonable price.

Wifi often a problem and no outdoor space, but other than that a great place to stay if you aren't looking for a party hostel. Dorm bunks have curtains, reading lamps and multi-plug power sockets, but are a bit wobbly. The staff are lovely and really helpful!

Good location, near the subway. Slow internet

Bathroom tiny. Smelled mouldy and had a drop from light fitting

Good location just a few steps from the Metro Station in a Hutong. Staff's English is not perfect but they were friendly and helpful all the time.

• 1st Jun 2015

The hostel seemed quite dirty, especially the toilet and shower in our room. In general the whole place seemed untidy as well (left-over food in the common rooms, dirty tables, shower seemed not be cleaned ever at all). The fellow hostel guests in our room were extremely unpleasant (phone calls at 3 am, middle-of-the-night showers, fighting with each other verbally, urinating over the entire toilet, not flushing the toilet, etc.) I would not stay in this hostel again.

The staff in the hostel was great. Their level of english is great and they are really helpful. That is what it makes the best hostel of beijing and I can say, because i have been at many hostels during my stay in beijing. One of the girls at the reception (Elsie) is always willing to help and is really friendly. She knows a lot about china and delicious food. She gave me a lot of useful tips during my stay in the hostel.

• 29th May 2015

Great time

• 25th May 2015

The location was good. They had only two toilets - one upstairs and the other one downstairs. The one above was dirty and the tissue paper was the roughest ever. The WC in the one below didnt work. I needed an iron as was in Beijing to attend a meeting but, as is usual in CHina, they did not know what an iron is and didn't have one. The staff was helpful to inform me of a laundry place nearby which was expensive but fortunately solved my purpose perfectly.

Good and budget hostel, conveniently located between Sanlitun and the old center (Forbidden city, Drum tower etc). Staff is a bit slow. Rooms are not bad, but a bit small. You can keep your luggage for several days with them with no extra charge, which was great for us. Would stay again.

This hostel makes honor to its name 'Lucky Family'. People in general including me we feel we are at home. Last year I came to this hostel and I felt in love with it. This year I have come back to Beijing and for sure it was my first option to choose. High Quality in lower prices. Best Regards! Joel Pérez Oracle ACE Director, Senior DBA Oracle OTN Expert 2003, OCM 11g/Cloud & Specialist Oracle ACE Director Profile: http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19297:4:86627557828301::NO:4:P4_ID:1

Everything was perfect; only the need to smoke outside the hostel, instead of the nice open area within the building was a minus

• 4th May 2015

I should have stayed here as soon as I got Beijing!

Second time I've stayed here while in Beijing. The first time it was four of us, in a four bed dorm and the second time it was two of us in a double bed room. Pros - soft mattress (good if you like soft, that is) - plenty of hot water - clean towels and linen upon request - fairly clean - decent selection of imported beer - a/c and heating work Cons - food and coffee are alright, but nothing memorable - water pressure isn't that good (at least on 3rd floor) - stairs are narrow

• 2nd May 2015

We are a family travelling with children and it has been years since I stayed in a hostel. The Lucky Family was exactly what I was looking for. The lady at the front desk spoke English and was very helpful with directions/questions. It was a smaller, quieter hostel that was perfect with the children. I had no worries about safety in the hostel. Lucky Family had everything we needed including excellent breakfasts, 2 very nice large common rooms, wifi that worked, and all in great location!

• 27th Apr 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

the place is very quiet, staff are nice.

The place was down a hutong, which was interesting and the rooms were fine, but the staff were not very helpful and one in particular was not friendly at all, although she did suggest a restaurant nearby that turned out to be one of our favourites in China. It did not feel like we were part of the family as their description suggests.

This was my second time staying in Lucky Family Hostel. Still a great experience. The Hutong location is perfect and quiet, but all facilities (bank/nightshop/restaurants) are close by. You're 200 m from a subway stop as well, so you're connected to the rest of the city. The common rooms are great to hang around in, you'll always meet someone new. The only thing that I remembered to be better last year was the internet. Don't know whether it's their fault or just Beijing, but it was very slow.

For what we wanted and needed in Beijing, although very basic, accommodation was sufficient. We are a family of 5 ranging from 13 years to 50 years, we stayed in a room with 6 bunkbeds, which we paid for the 6th bed as we did not want a random staying in our room. The beds were extremely hard but as we had had a 12 hour plane ride and a 5 hour train ride we were so tired we were still able to sleep. Staff were helpful

• 10th Apr 2015