Lusaka Backpackers Reviews

161 Mulombwa Close, 31300, Lusaka, Zambia

The room was terrible. A wooden tool shed? Thats unbelievable for 45$ a night. I LOVED the showers though. I have never had a shower under that much pressure in my entire life. THe location was excellent. The lady at the counter was the worst receptionist I have met in my life. She actually took offense that I spoke in my home-country language for te minute or two while we did the math for the accomodation and our itinerary, this was classless behaviour.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Kenya
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Good place to recover from an awful flight!----and great food(esp veggie burgers) at good prices!

• 23rd Dec 2014

Only stayed here for one night with some frustration. I had emailed staff twice of arrival time and assistance needed for transfer to the airport. I received no reply or confirmation, and when we arrived late on a bus there was no one available to check us in and a taxi driver had been sent to pick us up in the wrong location. Generally, it was frustating. The door to the room only stayed shut if it was locked. For $50 a night and a 200Kw ride to the airport, I would not recommend.

Basically everything worked as it should.

• 14th Oct 2014
  • Denmark

I stay here every time I'm in Lusaka and I'm quite happy. Depending on which room you're in there's a dog next door that barks all night and drunk revllers returning from the bar but a bit of noise is to be expected in a hostel. The facilities are decent, the staff is great.

We've used this hostel several times during our travels through Africa: sort of a home away from home. Highly recommended for a stay in Lusaka (as is driver Patrick outside). There's only one thing we've noticed: the saggy mattresses in the 'Leopard' twin private ensuite could do with a replacement.

Nice enough hostel for what we wanted (a place to stay for the night before the airport) but probably wouldn't have wanted to stay much longer.

• 11th Sep 2014

Very good place to use as your base of operations for travels to the various regions of Zambia. Lusaka Backpackers has all the creature comforts like a swimming pool, a relaxed (rather than rowdy) bar, a little on-site restaurant serving basic decent mails, a local souvenir shop and free wifi internet to boot. The double ensuite is a great deal: clean and comfortable. Minor gripe: you have to pay seperately for accomodation, food and bar and none of them ever seem to have change.

Lusaka Backpackers poor & over priced -suffers from a direct comparison with accommodation in Livingstone where for same price/room we had a bigger room with TV, kettle, A/C & furniture plus staff services were more proactive and attentive from getting bus tickets, to day to day activities advice to daily cleaning of room and changing of bed linen. Lusaka Backpackers in contrast provided room more like a garage, no cleaning or change of bed linen & no in room amenities. Location, security good.

Very good hostel, kitchen serves up good food (T-bone!) as well. We arrived after a rather terrible trip (stuck in traffic for 2,5 hours...), so the reception being very welcoming and helping us book bus tickets for onward transportation by their own initiative was great!! Stayed in the private double, which is right next to the patio (so a bit noisy). Room is pretty basic, but OK for the price paid. Would stay here again.