Lusaka Backpackers Reviews

161 Mulombwa Close, 31300, Lusaka, Zambia

From the reviews and the price I expected more. The kitchen was quite gross. The fridge needed thawing, it was leeking and flies were everywhere and there was a weird smell around. It says fully equipped but there were hardly any utensils or plates or anything to wash up with. The room was clean but the mosquito nets had holes everywhere. Luckily the staff were very friendly and helpful, I didn't try the food but it looked OK and was reasonably priced. All would be OK if it was a bit cheaper!!

The room was terrible. A wooden tool shed? Thats unbelievable for 45$ a night. I LOVED the showers though. I have never had a shower under that much pressure in my entire life. THe location was excellent. The lady at the counter was the worst receptionist I have met in my life. She actually took offense that I spoke in my home-country language for te minute or two while we did the math for the accomodation and our itinerary, this was classless behaviour.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Kenya
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Not a bad place, swimming pool, bar, restaurant, kitchen, wifi, Central location, all pretty good. I stayed over Christmas so the place was relatively quiet but I'm sure with more people the atmosphere would have been better. The only down side was the staff who were a bit unfriendly, other than that a solid backpackers.

Good place to recover from an awful flight!----and great food(esp veggie burgers) at good prices!

• 23rd Dec 2014

Only stayed here for one night with some frustration. I had emailed staff twice of arrival time and assistance needed for transfer to the airport. I received no reply or confirmation, and when we arrived late on a bus there was no one available to check us in and a taxi driver had been sent to pick us up in the wrong location. Generally, it was frustating. The door to the room only stayed shut if it was locked. For $50 a night and a 200Kw ride to the airport, I would not recommend.

Basically everything worked as it should.

• 14th Oct 2014
  • Denmark

I stay here every time I'm in Lusaka and I'm quite happy. Depending on which room you're in there's a dog next door that barks all night and drunk revllers returning from the bar but a bit of noise is to be expected in a hostel. The facilities are decent, the staff is great.

We've used this hostel several times during our travels through Africa: sort of a home away from home. Highly recommended for a stay in Lusaka (as is driver Patrick outside). There's only one thing we've noticed: the saggy mattresses in the 'Leopard' twin private ensuite could do with a replacement.