Lusaka Backpackers Reviews

161 Mulombwa Close, 31300, Lusaka, Zambia

Basically everything worked as it should.

• 14th Oct 2014
  • Denmark

I stay here every time I'm in Lusaka and I'm quite happy. Depending on which room you're in there's a dog next door that barks all night and drunk revllers returning from the bar but a bit of noise is to be expected in a hostel. The facilities are decent, the staff is great.

We've used this hostel several times during our travels through Africa: sort of a home away from home. Highly recommended for a stay in Lusaka (as is driver Patrick outside). There's only one thing we've noticed: the saggy mattresses in the 'Leopard' twin private ensuite could do with a replacement.

Nice enough hostel for what we wanted (a place to stay for the night before the airport) but probably wouldn't have wanted to stay much longer.

• 11th Sep 2014

Very good place to use as your base of operations for travels to the various regions of Zambia. Lusaka Backpackers has all the creature comforts like a swimming pool, a relaxed (rather than rowdy) bar, a little on-site restaurant serving basic decent mails, a local souvenir shop and free wifi internet to boot. The double ensuite is a great deal: clean and comfortable. Minor gripe: you have to pay seperately for accomodation, food and bar and none of them ever seem to have change.

Lusaka Backpackers poor & over priced -suffers from a direct comparison with accommodation in Livingstone where for same price/room we had a bigger room with TV, kettle, A/C & furniture plus staff services were more proactive and attentive from getting bus tickets, to day to day activities advice to daily cleaning of room and changing of bed linen. Lusaka Backpackers in contrast provided room more like a garage, no cleaning or change of bed linen & no in room amenities. Location, security good.

Very good hostel, kitchen serves up good food (T-bone!) as well. We arrived after a rather terrible trip (stuck in traffic for 2,5 hours...), so the reception being very welcoming and helping us book bus tickets for onward transportation by their own initiative was great!! Stayed in the private double, which is right next to the patio (so a bit noisy). Room is pretty basic, but OK for the price paid. Would stay here again.

It's quite a relaxed environment and we felt relaxed. The standards are not super crisp and neat, and that suited us, since we'd travelled for 24 hours we were hardly looking our best! Not everything is perfect, but the staff do their best and we were happy.

• 16th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

On arrival, I heard that my booking via hostelworld was not received. I was sent to an extension of Lusaka backpackers which is named Wanderers lodge. For the price of 10 dollars a night you would only get a bed without a net. The facilities and atmosphere were terrible and it looked like it was not open for tourists yet. There was no place to get a drink since the building of the bar was not yet finished. Night guard was just asleep at night. Very high price for limited facilities.

The location of the hostel is excellent and walking distance from the intercity bus station and the town (although difficult to find without a taxi first time round). The hostel itself has excellent facilities and a lively bar area. The staff are welcoming and friendly.

First day shower was broken. The water was not there the whole day. It was a nice place. The beds were good.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Hi, I'm so sorry about the shower. I'm making excuses and blaming other people but the water issue was caused by the workmen outside cutting the cables and pipes whilst they were laying new fibre optic cables. We have two 500 gallon tanks for back up water but these werent enough due to the time it took the work men to fix the issue. I'm sorry, a dn next time you stay we will make sure you have all the water you need :) Andy

The staff had zero customer service skills, particularly when dealing with major problems. When I arrived their internet was down so they didn't have anyone's reservations- a difficult situation that they didn't deal with well. Then the water supply was cut

Hi, we are sorry you didn't have the experience that we would have wanted with us, we pride ourselves on customer service and have done for years. I don't want to make excuses but the internet was down because the local authority are putting new fibre optic cables in the street for us :), and they accidentally cut through the old cable :( The good news is next time you stay you can try our new superfast internet. The water issue was sadly the same workmen issue :( We will do better next time.

We appreciate the help given to us by Justin, he was kind and helped us work through getting a room that was more to our liking during our stay.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Zambia

Basic place, but really the only backpackers in Lusaka. Close to the bus station.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. The kitchen staff were very good, and it was nice to have that option occasionally. Students struggled with access to wifi (very limited, and internet access was completely down the last 30 hours of our stay) and the lack of electrical outlets in their dorm. On our last day in country, because the web was down, we were unable to use credit cards to pay for our stay. I ended up using most of the cash I had left (not my plan). 2 students still have not paid.

• 21st May 2014

Hi, I have just excuses about the internet. I'm sorry. The local authority were fitting new fibre optic cables for us (the digging all down the street outside) and they cut through the existing cables. I know it doesn't help you but I'm sorry. It was really annoying for everyone. The good news is next time you come we will have fibre optic speed internet. Andy

surely not the most beautiful hostel but absolutely ok for a night or even two.

• 17th May 2014

Central Lusaka may not be the most beautiful location in the world but we are probably the friendliest :)

The staff were lovely and very helpful - they were the best thing about the hostel, however the room was shabby and dirty. The mosquito net needed washing. The door was almost broken and the material separating outside from inside was dirty and had holes. Generally the room as very tired. The bathrooms also had soiled towels and rubbish in them. The price was extremely high for the room.

• 10th May 2014