M&J Hostel Reviews

Via Solferino 9, Rome, Italy

helpfull staff, clean rooms. Capps shower that could do with some attention but good stay !!

Nicely located next to the big bus station terminus with link to the metro-lines. Very helpful and friendly staff, warm welcome and nice suggestion for sightseeing tours (by the way: hope you enjoyed the "neapolitaner"-cookies ;) )

Squeakiest beds in the entire world.

The location is good, and the double room I stayed in was fairly clean and nice. The staff were unnecessarily slow to offer help when asked. The kitchen is tiny and does not have an electric jug and one of the hobs doesn't work.

Worst hostel i've ever seen, No Hot water for shower, Room heater not working, wifi is limited to only reception

I received a welcoming email the day before my arrival, wishing me good travels and informing me of a tourist tax not included in my bill of 2€/ day. At check in I was Charged a 3.5€ Tourist tax by night receptionist. Did u falsely inform me or was I overcharged ?

My group was on a 10-day trip around Europe, and M&J Hostel was the most expensive place we stayed. What's worse is that it offered the worst accommodations. Our room's private bathroom did not produce hot water, forcing us to use the public showers on the other floors. They staff apologized but did nothing to make the problem better. Our room also smelled rather foul, making it an unpleasant place to which to return after our long days touring Rome and Vatican City.

• 29th Oct 2014

The toilets were not properly cleaned. Also the wifi facility was not available at the room so it was embarassing.

Cold shower. The Hostelworld page clearly states the the Rome bed tax is 2 euro, but when I arrived I had to pay 3.50 just like other places. I know it seems a small thing but I choose hostels based on the info provided and the info is false. When I told them, they had some excuse in very fast, accented English that I couldn't understand a word of. They did print out my boarding pass though which was very good of them.

M & J Hostel is conveniently located by the Termini train station and the main bus terminal. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly.

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Couple, 41+

It was nice at the beggining but when we tried to make another booking in the front desk they wanted to sell us the most expensive rooms even though they had cheaper rooms on HW app. When we tried to book via online they refuse to accept our booking by saying (in a very rude way) "if u are here u are not allowed to book online, if u do it we will not respect it even if u make the deposit" and for me thats just bullshit.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Mexico

1. I got bitten 5 times by bugs while doing internet at a room nesr the reception area. 2. The shower in room 22 very hot to scald the skin and when you turn it cold the water pressure is weak like drops. 3. It was never mentioned in any written indormation that they accept CASH ONLY ( and do not accept credit cards)! 4. There's no elevator you just have to carry your luggage in your room. 5. There is no internet in the room; you get stuck in the room near the reception infested with bugs.

We originally were going to stay in the ten room dorm for 3 days. When we got to the room it was packed. The bunk beds looked like scrap metal smashed together. They were mismatched and rickety and the room was boiling. We switched to a private room that had air conditioning, which was lovely. Most of the staff was excellent except for one of the workers who threw us out of the kitchen as it closes at 10. We would have been out sooner but the kitchen is tiny and there were many people cooking

What you gain in central location to the bus station, you pay for with lots of loud road noise all night long but a pair of wax earplugs (standard hostel kit I'm sure you'd agree) sorted it right out. The staff were really nice and helpful too. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm, basic but perfectly comfortable and clean. Nice to not be in bunk beds too!

• 15th Sep 2014

STAFF VERY KIND AND HELPFUL

I stayed 4 night in this hostel. At the 3rd and 4th night, I had a serious insect bite. Not sure is mosquito bite or bed bug! Shower is really bad, almost only hot water!!! Only recommend for traveller who want to stay one night for transit!

Stayed in a private room which was very nice and clean. Perfect location near termini station and walking distance to all the sights. Wifi only works in reception/common room area. Lots of stairs and no elevator. Kitchen was a bit run down. But overall a good stay!

The staff were so friendly and helpful ! Mario went out of his way to help me. Great stay, clean hostel.

The staff is nice and helpful. The location is good and the cafe downstairs was yummy. However, I was attacked by bed bugs, there was no air conditioning, no lockers, and the door to my room wouldn't close because of a screw and therefore wouldn't lock. I would not reccomend this hostel.

Good security (especially as it was in a mildly dodgy area) and easy to walk to all the sites.