M&J Hostel Reviews

Via Solferino 9, Rome, Italy

The lockers did not work in the room, they were taped up so you could not use them

This hostel was great in that it was located very centrally and close to the main station, Termini, which was especially useful for me as I had extremely heavy luggage and didn't have to walk very far! In addition, the staff were very helpful, especially a blonde lady who basically planned my three days in Rome to maximise what I could see. There is no elevator in the hostel, which proved a problem with my heavy luggage but the extremely helpful staff carried my luggage for me.

The staff is not friendly, the exception is a guy call Iohannes!!! The building is very old, with many stairs and no elevator, no air conditioning or fan, which in summer is a problem! the bathroom is inside the room and gives off a very strong bad smell. The kitchen is not available most of the time, only from 15h00 22h00 is small! the wifi only works on the ground floor and do not have enough space to stay over there! You can not use the common area after 00h00.

This hostel is in a good location from the main train station. I found the staff to be nice but not overly happy. Hasn't got a area to really meet people thou. I found it hard to sleep with the high temps as there was no air con. Fairly cheap thou which was good

• 10th Aug 2014
  • Aruba

Worst hostel we've stayed in (not enough characters to elaborate). Rome was 35 degrees for the 3 days we were there, and the hostel didnt have any air con so we could barely breathe! And staying the room over night in that heat was unbareable! My friend and I had to chill in the nearest McDonald's before we went back to the hostel that night because it was too warm. They say they have wifi, but its not in any of the rooms, just in the common area, and even there its the poorest connection.

Place is worn and a bit dirty. You'll understand when you check in. Cleaning staff walking in and out of rooms leaving doors open. Doors dont close properly. Cleaning staff arent exactly locals themselves. Close to Termini but very little information about the buses or trains provided. A girl had her EU ID stolen from the room and the desk did very little to care or help her. Mouldy showers, toilets adjoined with showers and 4 bathrooms to serve about 50 people. Romes cheapest option.

The best thing about this hostel is the location! So easy to get everywhere as termini is a 2 minute walk. The hostel itself is ok, the communal areas are not so good, and the kitchen is small without a lot of facilities (no microwave, oven) The rooms has no air con so it was pretty unbearable in a ten bed dorm in the height of summer and what made it worse was the bed bug problem, I slept In two different beds and got covered in bed bug bites.

Perfect location, very easy to find. The stairs are killer if you have a lot of big bags, but that's a problem everywhere you have a lot of big bags. Great staff; free WiFi; good deal.

• 30th Jul 2014

Great hostel, just across the train station Roma termini. No elevator!! Everything was really clean, and the staff was very nice and helps you organize on what to do and where to go according to your stay in Rome. Beware of food thieves en the kitchen!! Overall great place

This wasn't the greatest place I've stayed at but it was definitely a good time! It's in a pretty old building so they don't have wifi in the rooms. Which can be a blessing in disguise for alone travelers because everyone chills in the lobby. So that's how I met a lot of other travelers. It was great! Plus, the staff was really helpful and kind. Also it's 2 minutes away from Termini central station so it makes very easy to get there once you arrive from the airport or if you're out late.

Great location. Stay out of the big room and you should be fine. Gets very hot in the summer and there is no AC. Wi-Fi only available in lobby. Great food all around Rome so avoid eating at the restraunt below the hostel. Staff is helpful and friendly. Plenty of nice people staying there.

Very happy with everything. No complaints at all.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • India

All this hostel needs is a working lift, hot water, wifi, air conditioning (or at least a fan) and more than one set of power outlets in each room. The beds were also made in 1963 and are so loud and squeaky they somehow manage to drown out the man snoring in the bunk next to me. Apart from that I guess I should be thankful that, unlike other people who have stayed here, I didn't have bed bugs. Only stay here if you can't afford anything else, hate sleep or really like walking up stairs.

I would not recommend this hostel. I went in the summer and Rome has unnatural heat. The hostel says it has air conditioning but its ONLY in the lobby. Due to this we had to sleep with the window OPEN and it is next to a main, busy road. BRING EARPLUGS IF YOU STAY HERE. The wifi is also ONLY in the lobby and its not a big lobby where everyone can sit. The kitchen has all needed but they shut down the stove gas in the mornings until 3pm so you have their 3euro breakfast. Not for me.

I was bitten in the night by some kind of insects that are infesting the rooms,I think I can forgive any discomfort except this.

• 17th Jul 2014

This hostel was just ok. Overall, average. The positives- It is right by the train station so it's convenient to come and go between cities and they put together a pub crawl every night which allows you to meet other travelers. The negatives- the staff mostly seemed somewhat bothered and just answered your questions without proactively suggesting other ideas. The night shift guy was great though. I was woken up every morning at about 7am to them cleaning and clanking bottles outside my door

Close to station and easy to find are the postive points for this hostel. However, overall the hostel feels overcrowded, with no wifi in the rooms, in addition, a lock out from the common area (where wifi access is) at 11pm. In addition, cold showers!!! And lots of stairs as the elevator is for private use only. The breakfast included actually costs some euros.

• 16th Jul 2014

There seems to be a lot of unfarily harsh reviews of this place. it was much better than I expected. The beds are pretty terrible to be honest (loose springs and soft mattresses) but it's generally clean and the staff are really friendly. It's fine if you want to stay central and meet

very good location

• 12th Jul 2014
  • Greece

Was very good everyone very friendly good atmosphere only ting was got bit by bedbugs staff was apologetic and refunded me a nite !

• 11th Jul 2014