M&J Hostel Reviews

Via Solferino 9, Rome, Italy

Good hostel and lovely staff that is extremely friendly.

• 18th May 2015
  • Belgium

The best thing in my opinion are the staff (at your service 24/7) and the location of the hostel. Really easy to find it. Also, I like the thing that we got an upgrade from 10 bed dorm room, to a room with 4 beds and a private bathroom. The only thing that actually bothered me is really uncomfortable bed.

• 18th May 2015
  • Croatia

Awful hostel to begin with arrows rather late at night and guy made me wait for 40mins before checking me in, bunks are so unstable and rock and shake, mattress wrapped in plastic so rustle anytime someone moves, unclean bathrooms, staff are so disorganised & shouting at each other the whole time, tiny lockers only in common area and freezing cold showers the whole time, bit of a walk to main attractions as well

The staff was wonderful and very helpful. They were very welcoming and gave great advice on what to see and do in Rome. I was only there for two days and was at a loss on what to see and the staff helped immensely. The location was great and I was able to walk everywhere. It was pretty loud at night. Sounds carried a lot I guess and people Han out in the common spaces until very late. Also there was always club music coming from somewhere on the floor. Otherwise, it was a great hostel!

• 13th May 2015

Very nice hostel staff (Mario) but the facilities arent good enougt. The room is dirty the beds move in all directions and the bathrooms are dirty too. Theres no ventilation in the rooms and the kitchen is not fully equipped as it says on the hostels description. Wifi only works (averagley) in the lobby that doesnt even have a comfortable chair to sit on. Plugs in the room arent enough for the people it can hold. gas is cut at 10 am so you cant use the kitchen and showers are always cold.

Not a bad hostel to stay in. Security (especially at night is tight which is comforting). Great being right next to the train station, but a 20 minute walk if you want to see the sights, which isn't really a problem. WiFi only in the common area. Fine to stay at though.

There were not enough blankets for all the beds in the hostel. We were there for three nights and didn't have a blanket for any of them. There was also no hot water whatsoever and all the showers had not enough pressure to make washing hair possible. The bar downstairs was pounding bass until late into the night and the beds were uncomfortable and squeaky and unstable making sleep difficult The location is the only thing going for this hostel.

This place was a dump. Dirty, unprofessional staff,bed not comfortable, linen dirty,bathrooms dirty.not enough bathrooms on each floor to match amount of people staying.

• 7th May 2015

Awesome Hostel! great location, and the Staff! Mario and Johanes, both from the reception Staff are great guys, showed us where to go on day and night! They also gave us recomendations for skipping the lines to entry in the Coliseum, and other places! Great Stay in Rome.

We had a great stay but mostly because the staff were very friendly and helpful. They went the extra mile to make sure we had a great experience; from suggesting great places to eat in the middle of the night to sorting out our transport back to the hostel after a night out. The hostel itself could have been better for the amount we paid. It didn't have wifi in the rooms, the kitchen was limited and hot water was rare. Overall it's a good hostel, great location and an amazing staff.

• 1st May 2015

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this hostel, the staff were friendly and helpful, they spoke Italian, Spanish and English well. The facilities were clean but the electricity had kept cutting off, the situation was quickly rectified but it had happened around 9 times during our stay. The hostel is located nextdoor to a club so you definitely hear the music all night

• 29th Apr 2015

The showers don't have hot water. There was a sign that said the water needed to run a few minutes before getting warm. I let it run for more that 10 minutes and had to take the coldest shower in my whole trip

Don't have wifi in the room, also wifi in the lobby is really really slow. The shower in the rooms doesn't have hot water. Can not use hair dry because of electricity problem. Breakfast is very good.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • China

The Bunk beds rock that much that you feel sea sick and the hot water is more like occasional luke warm water, but apart from that a convenient location and very friendly staff. I would stay again

Location and staff, brilliant. There can be noise from the club downstairs is about the only downside. Probably best for a younger crowd but good for us older ones as well, just don't expect much sleep if on the lower floor. Common area is good. I can't speak for dorms, but my rooms was solid hotel standard. Combine that with a proper hostel style comon area, and its just great. Good food nearby; all transport next door; and walkable to some sights as well. Note: wi-fi unavailable in room/dorm.

A lot of reviewers said the showers were cold. While I did not take a shower during my stay here - all the girls in my room said the shower temperature was fine. Perhaps they fixed the shower problem. I don't know why this hostel has such negative reviews. I stayed in a 6 bed room and enjoyed my stay here. The sheets were completely clean and the blanket was warm enough at night which is all you can ask for. The only negative is the fact that wifi is only available in the common room.

Night host was great. met alot of great people

• 17th Apr 2015

The staff was not friendly, made the booking process very confusing, didn't have change. Told us we were being upgraded but actually put us in one of the worst rooms. Told us the showers had hot water, they did for less than 3 minutes. Bathrooms were very dirty. Only positive was decent wifi in the common room and the location.

• 14th Apr 2015

The staff wer absolutely amazing at this hostel. Its proximity to the termini station is also worth mention. However, sadly in my room there was no fan for the shower room so it created a great condition for mould to grow. It was clear that the staff had tried to keep up with this situation, but without a fan its a challenge. Atmosphere was great. I abolustely loved this place, I wound up staying much longer than intended.

The staff is SO GREAT. Mario 1 & 2, Alec - all of them - they were lively, welcoming, warm, and had tons of info about the city. We ended up following Mario 1's directions for our 2+ days to a T, and had an awesome time. My girlfriend and I stayed in a private room that was way nicer than most hostels I've ever seen. The club downstairs where they brought us for 'open bar' was a bad experience - the staff there HATED us, the whole group of us. It put a stink on the night. But M&J rocks!