M&J Hostel Reviews

Via Solferino 9, Rome, Italy

Cold shower. The Hostelworld page clearly states the the Rome bed tax is 2 euro, but when I arrived I had to pay 3.50 just like other places. I know it seems a small thing but I choose hostels based on the info provided and the info is false. When I told them, they had some excuse in very fast, accented English that I couldn't understand a word of. They did print out my boarding pass though which was very good of them.

It was nice at the beggining but when we tried to make another booking in the front desk they wanted to sell us the most expensive rooms even though they had cheaper rooms on HW app. When we tried to book via online they refuse to accept our booking by saying (in a very rude way) "if u are here u are not allowed to book online, if u do it we will not respect it even if u make the deposit" and for me thats just bullshit.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Mexico

1. I got bitten 5 times by bugs while doing internet at a room nesr the reception area. 2. The shower in room 22 very hot to scald the skin and when you turn it cold the water pressure is weak like drops. 3. It was never mentioned in any written indormation that they accept CASH ONLY ( and do not accept credit cards)! 4. There's no elevator you just have to carry your luggage in your room. 5. There is no internet in the room; you get stuck in the room near the reception infested with bugs.

We originally were going to stay in the ten room dorm for 3 days. When we got to the room it was packed. The bunk beds looked like scrap metal smashed together. They were mismatched and rickety and the room was boiling. We switched to a private room that had air conditioning, which was lovely. Most of the staff was excellent except for one of the workers who threw us out of the kitchen as it closes at 10. We would have been out sooner but the kitchen is tiny and there were many people cooking

What you gain in central location to the bus station, you pay for with lots of loud road noise all night long but a pair of wax earplugs (standard hostel kit I'm sure you'd agree) sorted it right out. The staff were really nice and helpful too. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm, basic but perfectly comfortable and clean. Nice to not be in bunk beds too!

• 15th Sep 2014

STAFF VERY KIND AND HELPFUL

I stayed 4 night in this hostel. At the 3rd and 4th night, I had a serious insect bite. Not sure is mosquito bite or bed bug! Shower is really bad, almost only hot water!!! Only recommend for traveller who want to stay one night for transit!

Stayed in a private room which was very nice and clean. Perfect location near termini station and walking distance to all the sights. Wifi only works in reception/common room area. Lots of stairs and no elevator. Kitchen was a bit run down. But overall a good stay!

The staff were so friendly and helpful ! Mario went out of his way to help me. Great stay, clean hostel.

The staff is nice and helpful. The location is good and the cafe downstairs was yummy. However, I was attacked by bed bugs, there was no air conditioning, no lockers, and the door to my room wouldn't close because of a screw and therefore wouldn't lock. I would not reccomend this hostel.

Good security (especially as it was in a mildly dodgy area) and easy to walk to all the sites.

The location is excellent - yea, but I found it impossible to sleep in a room with windows to the main street (buses diving past every few minutes around the clock). Staircase smelled of dirt. Furniture in the common area was old and dirty, rooms don't have lockers. Lockers near the reception are the size of passport. The kitchen is tiny so in the afternoon not everybody will be able to use it and smells bad. The staff doesn't really speak english (except the blond girl).

Pas d'armoiries dans les chambres et la salle de bain, de l'eau chaude à certaines heures, les communs sont petits et la cuisine 0/10! Il est bien juste aller dormir !

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Belgium

The lockers did not work in the room, they were taped up so you could not use them

This hostel was great in that it was located very centrally and close to the main station, Termini, which was especially useful for me as I had extremely heavy luggage and didn't have to walk very far! In addition, the staff were very helpful, especially a blonde lady who basically planned my three days in Rome to maximise what I could see. There is no elevator in the hostel, which proved a problem with my heavy luggage but the extremely helpful staff carried my luggage for me.

The staff is not friendly, the exception is a guy call Iohannes!!! The building is very old, with many stairs and no elevator, no air conditioning or fan, which in summer is a problem! the bathroom is inside the room and gives off a very strong bad smell. The kitchen is not available most of the time, only from 15h00 22h00 is small! the wifi only works on the ground floor and do not have enough space to stay over there! You can not use the common area after 00h00.

This hostel is in a good location from the main train station. I found the staff to be nice but not overly happy. Hasn't got a area to really meet people thou. I found it hard to sleep with the high temps as there was no air con. Fairly cheap thou which was good

• 10th Aug 2014
  • Aruba

Worst hostel we've stayed in (not enough characters to elaborate). Rome was 35 degrees for the 3 days we were there, and the hostel didnt have any air con so we could barely breathe! And staying the room over night in that heat was unbareable! My friend and I had to chill in the nearest McDonald's before we went back to the hostel that night because it was too warm. They say they have wifi, but its not in any of the rooms, just in the common area, and even there its the poorest connection.

Place is worn and a bit dirty. You'll understand when you check in. Cleaning staff walking in and out of rooms leaving doors open. Doors dont close properly. Cleaning staff arent exactly locals themselves. Close to Termini but very little information about the buses or trains provided. A girl had her EU ID stolen from the room and the desk did very little to care or help her. Mouldy showers, toilets adjoined with showers and 4 bathrooms to serve about 50 people. Romes cheapest option.

The best thing about this hostel is the location! So easy to get everywhere as termini is a 2 minute walk. The hostel itself is ok, the communal areas are not so good, and the kitchen is small without a lot of facilities (no microwave, oven) The rooms has no air con so it was pretty unbearable in a ten bed dorm in the height of summer and what made it worse was the bed bug problem, I slept In two different beds and got covered in bed bug bites.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4