M&J Hostel Reviews

Via Solferino 9, Rome, Italy

I received a welcoming email the day before my arrival, wishing me good travels and informing me of a tourist tax not included in my bill of 2€/ day. At check in I was Charged a 3.5€ Tourist tax by night receptionist. Did u falsely inform me or was I overcharged ?

My group was on a 10-day trip around Europe, and M&J Hostel was the most expensive place we stayed. What's worse is that it offered the worst accommodations. Our room's private bathroom did not produce hot water, forcing us to use the public showers on the other floors. They staff apologized but did nothing to make the problem better. Our room also smelled rather foul, making it an unpleasant place to which to return after our long days touring Rome and Vatican City.

• 29th Oct 2014

The toilets were not properly cleaned. Also the wifi facility was not available at the room so it was embarassing.

Cold shower. The Hostelworld page clearly states the the Rome bed tax is 2 euro, but when I arrived I had to pay 3.50 just like other places. I know it seems a small thing but I choose hostels based on the info provided and the info is false. When I told them, they had some excuse in very fast, accented English that I couldn't understand a word of. They did print out my boarding pass though which was very good of them.

M & J Hostel is conveniently located by the Termini train station and the main bus terminal. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly.

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Couple, 41+

It was nice at the beggining but when we tried to make another booking in the front desk they wanted to sell us the most expensive rooms even though they had cheaper rooms on HW app. When we tried to book via online they refuse to accept our booking by saying (in a very rude way) "if u are here u are not allowed to book online, if u do it we will not respect it even if u make the deposit" and for me thats just bullshit.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Mexico

1. I got bitten 5 times by bugs while doing internet at a room nesr the reception area. 2. The shower in room 22 very hot to scald the skin and when you turn it cold the water pressure is weak like drops. 3. It was never mentioned in any written indormation that they accept CASH ONLY ( and do not accept credit cards)! 4. There's no elevator you just have to carry your luggage in your room. 5. There is no internet in the room; you get stuck in the room near the reception infested with bugs.

We originally were going to stay in the ten room dorm for 3 days. When we got to the room it was packed. The bunk beds looked like scrap metal smashed together. They were mismatched and rickety and the room was boiling. We switched to a private room that had air conditioning, which was lovely. Most of the staff was excellent except for one of the workers who threw us out of the kitchen as it closes at 10. We would have been out sooner but the kitchen is tiny and there were many people cooking

What you gain in central location to the bus station, you pay for with lots of loud road noise all night long but a pair of wax earplugs (standard hostel kit I'm sure you'd agree) sorted it right out. The staff were really nice and helpful too. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm, basic but perfectly comfortable and clean. Nice to not be in bunk beds too!

• 15th Sep 2014

STAFF VERY KIND AND HELPFUL

I stayed 4 night in this hostel. At the 3rd and 4th night, I had a serious insect bite. Not sure is mosquito bite or bed bug! Shower is really bad, almost only hot water!!! Only recommend for traveller who want to stay one night for transit!

Stayed in a private room which was very nice and clean. Perfect location near termini station and walking distance to all the sights. Wifi only works in reception/common room area. Lots of stairs and no elevator. Kitchen was a bit run down. But overall a good stay!

The staff were so friendly and helpful ! Mario went out of his way to help me. Great stay, clean hostel.

The staff is nice and helpful. The location is good and the cafe downstairs was yummy. However, I was attacked by bed bugs, there was no air conditioning, no lockers, and the door to my room wouldn't close because of a screw and therefore wouldn't lock. I would not reccomend this hostel.

Good security (especially as it was in a mildly dodgy area) and easy to walk to all the sites.

The location is excellent - yea, but I found it impossible to sleep in a room with windows to the main street (buses diving past every few minutes around the clock). Staircase smelled of dirt. Furniture in the common area was old and dirty, rooms don't have lockers. Lockers near the reception are the size of passport. The kitchen is tiny so in the afternoon not everybody will be able to use it and smells bad. The staff doesn't really speak english (except the blond girl).

Pas d'armoiries dans les chambres et la salle de bain, de l'eau chaude à certaines heures, les communs sont petits et la cuisine 0/10! Il est bien juste aller dormir !

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Belgium

The lockers did not work in the room, they were taped up so you could not use them

This hostel was great in that it was located very centrally and close to the main station, Termini, which was especially useful for me as I had extremely heavy luggage and didn't have to walk very far! In addition, the staff were very helpful, especially a blonde lady who basically planned my three days in Rome to maximise what I could see. There is no elevator in the hostel, which proved a problem with my heavy luggage but the extremely helpful staff carried my luggage for me.

The staff is not friendly, the exception is a guy call Iohannes!!! The building is very old, with many stairs and no elevator, no air conditioning or fan, which in summer is a problem! the bathroom is inside the room and gives off a very strong bad smell. The kitchen is not available most of the time, only from 15h00 22h00 is small! the wifi only works on the ground floor and do not have enough space to stay over there! You can not use the common area after 00h00.

« first « Prev 1 2 3